• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reaction from authorities really isn't interesting or comparable to other situations where race was an issue, but what is interesting is the reaction from the American people and how that's affected by the color of the perpetrators.

Agreed. And the media reaction or lack thereof. Bundy's group pulled a similar stunt last year. They didn't take over a federal building but they refused to leave territory that they claimed was "illegally seized" by the government. They were heavily armed and even set up snipers on a bridge. Needless the say the feds avoided a shootout.

GnawtyDog

Banned
You can't deny policy would be different.

The way I see it 3 things would be potentially different:

1. Media tone and coverage.
2. Response quickness by federal agencies
3. Trigger happiness by some officer(s) (not all obviously) if one of the bandits decides to be so crazy as to shoot one bullet.

GnawtyDog

Banned
There is nothing casual about the response. The FBI and other organizations are involved, they aren't sitting around doing nothing. Based on past similar cases, their primary goal is to avoid a shootout/bloodshed. And barring some change in the militias behavior - for instance if they start attacking citizens or something - I'd expect the feds to continue what they're doing to diffuse things.

That'll be their death warrant not diffusion.

RPGCrazied

And why can't the police just show up and tell them to leave or be arrested? Are they really sure these people will shoot up cops?

Agreed. And the media reaction or lack thereof. Bundy's group pulled a similar stunt last year. They didn't take over a federal building but they refused to leave territory that they claimed was "illegally seized" by the government. They were heavily armed and even set up snipers on a bridge. Needless the say the feds avoided a shootout.

And didn't they also mostly all walk free? Even after their siege and aiming guns at law enforcement. Sorry but no one else would get away with that.

aeolist

Banned
And why can't the police just show up and tell them to leave or be arrested? Are they really sure these people will shoot up cops?

they've specifically said that they're looking for a fight. they would take any move like that as aggression justifying an armed response.

basically they know the history of the federal skittishness post-waco as well as the fed themselves and are playing it to the hilt.

they've specifically said that they're looking for a fight. they would take any move like that as aggression justifying an armed response.

basically they know the history of the federal skittishness post-waco as well as the fed themselves and are playing it to the hilt.

It's also the BLM. The BLM doesn't really have any force to show. 300 armed rangers and agents and that's it.

Piggus

Insane.

All this over some guys who set fires on federal land. And apparently don't want their help.

GTFO of my state.

This. Where the hell do these people come from? I feel bad for the people in that area who have to put up with that crap.

That'll be their death warrant not diffusion.

That's what I said. As of right now they haven't done anything to warrant a violent response, but if they do they're fucked.

The idea that the feds wouldn't throw their playbook out the window if these were black people is disingenuous. The goal here is to avoid bloodshed. Or the idea that the cops would shoot first to justify a shootout.

Would things be different if Islamic terrorists were in this situation? Yea, that could be different given that citizen lives could be at risk. But I don't see that happening with white militias or black extremist groups, historically.

besada

Banned
My issue with the response so far is that it isn't clear that the FBI have done much of anything, including stopping new people from arriving. These guys have put out multiple calls to arms, and there has been a response, so at a minimum there should be agents blockading the roads to and from the refuge center, to stop more people and more guns from arriving.

But that doesn't seem to be happening as far as I can tell.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I keep being told I should but it's such a high castle.

pppffffttttttt
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

inner-G

Banned
I don't think they classify as 'civilians' any more.

A forceful response would be apt. Got to make an example of them, we can't have every right-wing NRA chapter pulling this shit.

The forest service could maybe do a scheduled 'controlled burn' in that area.

Jonm1010

Banned
My issue with the response so far is that it isn't clear that the FBI have done much of anything, including stopping new people from arriving. These guys have put out multiple calls to arms, and there has been a response, so at a minimum there should be agents blockading the roads to and from the refuge center, to stop more people and more guns from arriving.

But that doesn't seem to be happening as far as I can tell.

Yeah that sounds like a genuine issue to take up with the way the authorities are handling this.

I went to go see a movie so I've been away. Has there been much in the way of dialogue between the FBI and the media to explain what they are actually doing?

The planet is already with enough humans ruining the planet; the Wildlife refuges are protected to ensure conservation

I have no sympathy for these Alex Jones extremists.

devilhawk

besada

Banned
Their probably just going to wait them out a few days, until they're sick of the lack of amenities and comfort
Until you blockade the location, there's nothing stopping them from bringing in what they need. Frankly it's going to be pretty difficult anyway, since the property abuts 187,000 acres of wilderness.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Children being present is a huge distinction.

Pretty sure Islamic extremists wouldn't bring children in these cases.

Huh? I know they have people at least as young as 16 fighting for their cause, i'm sure younger.

Holy shit.

So these morons have children, guns, and the FBI is just letting more of them pour in.

Crazy how the media is doing its best to downplay this shit like it's a small tussle. They've stated they want a fight. They openly boast their weapons and tout their immunity.

And if anyone of color, as it has been said so many times, would do this, blood would be all over the walls, and we'd get a bunch of spins saying "he wasn't a good saint all his life".

Like, this shit is real and happening right now.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
America is probably a safre country if they stay in that building for years. I say keep them there. It's a win-win

you do have a point. I'm revising my mental picture of the ideal outcome to building a giant Chernobyl-style containment vessel over the whole site, in the form of a massive concrete statue of Teddy Roosevelt taking a dump

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
you do have a point. I'm revising my mental picture of the ideal outcome to building a giant Chernobyl-style containment vessel over the whole site, in the form of a massive concrete statue of Teddy Roosevelt taking a dump

Now that's a wall I can support!

Huh? I know they have people at least as young as 16 fighting for their cause, i'm sure younger.

There's a difference between underage combatants and using children as human shields, which is what militias often do. If a shootout were to occur they'd immediately blame the US government for killing innocent children. In short, they're cowards.

lawnchair

Banned
i cant believe this is happening.

rather, i cant believe the federal government is letting this continue. there should be zero tolerance for shit like this. these yokel fucks are already taking their guns to wal-mart with no problems, now federal buildings? draw a fucking line already. send a message already.

Rudelord

People calling them terrorists, but who are they terrorizing, exactly?

They're in a federal building in the middle of nowhere that had zero employees on site, so clearly civilian causalities are something they didn't want on their hands.

Obviously, this isn't exactly the correct way to handle this, but it's a bit of a stretch to call them terrorists.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

They're in a federal building in the middle of nowhere that had zero employees on site, so clearly civilian causalities are something they didn't want on their hands.

Obviously, this isn't exactly the correct way to handle this, but it's a bit of a stretch to call them terrorists.
Terrorism

Violence or intimidation for political gain

lawnchair

Banned
i don't think they're terrorists either.

they're just people who are committing a crime using firearms, as soon as you do that you're gambling your life as far as i'm concerned.

^^^ the only people looking intimidated are the feds..

Hex

Banned

Armed insurgents invading and taking over a location, spouting their ideals and propaganda and threatening violence if they do not get what they want and if there is an attempt to remove them.
Sounds kind of text book to me.

Oh Twitter lol you smartasses you.
#YallQaeda
#YeeHawd
#YeeHawdists
#VanillaISIS

These guys are a bunch of dumbasses who are going to jail no matter how long they try to wait it out. Didn't think cable news(besides Fox) would be so blatant on their racist views tho.

Rudelord

Armed insurgents invading and taking over a location, spouting their ideals and propaganda and threatening violence if they do not get what they want and if there is an attempt to remove them.
Sounds kind of text book to me.

Right, but like I said, usually these kinds of acts when labeled as 'terrorism' involve either hostage taking or mass shootings of unarmed civvies.

Would you consider Wounded Knee in 1973 to be terrorism as well? I don't.

lawnchair

Banned
I am pretty damn sure some people in the surrounding area does not want either in town, especially the militia.

you're probably right. if you want to label them terrorists, fine. i can see the argument. just semantics to me. they are armed gunmen occupying a government building, they should be dealt with the same way that a terrorist group would be. that is, removed immediately.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So, the US reminds everyone that black people ain't shit at the end of 2015 (Rice verdict) and starts 2016 by showing off white privilege.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What about blasting a single bubblegum pop song at full blast at the buildings behind reinforced speakers and drones 24/7 until they lay down their guns and surrender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom