• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

My issue with the response so far is that it isn't clear that the FBI have done much of anything, including stopping new people from arriving. These guys have put out multiple calls to arms, and there has been a response, so at a minimum there should be agents blockading the roads to and from the refuge center, to stop more people and more guns from arriving.

But that doesn't seem to be happening as far as I can tell.

Let as many nuts in as will come then open fire.

All this white people shit didn't apply at Waco or Ruby Ridge btw

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This is the middle of nowhere Oregon.. where there's a lot of middle-of-nowhere.. this is literally the middle-of-nowhere... there's only 7400 people in all of Harney County... in an area bigger than 6 other entire States. 2800 of those live in Burns, the biggest "city" in Harney.

This is cattle land.

Also, the Hammonds got screwed, they deserved to be prosecuted for the fire, and that should have been the end of it. I think what the Feds did to them was uncalled for.. but remember none of this was asked for by the Hammonds... they don't want this attention out there.. nobody does.

Beautiful area around the Steens though.

BTW, glad they are taking a hands off approach.. this could turn ugly real quick.. and we don't need another Ruby Ridge or Waco on our hands.

i cant believe this is happening.

rather, i cant believe the federal government is letting this continue. there should be zero tolerance for shit like this. these yokel fucks are already taking their guns to wal-mart with no problems, now federal buildings? draw a fucking line already. send a message already.

Yeah, because they are obviously a threat to...who exactly?

Why are people so eager to risk LE lives when it doesn't have to go down that way? Just wait them out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is the middle of nowhere Oregon.. where there's a lot of middle-of-nowhere.. this is literally the middle-of-nowhere... there's only 7400 people in all of Harney County... in an area bigger than 6 other entire States. 2800 of those live in Burns, the biggest "city" in Harney.

This is cattle land.

Also, the Hammonds got screwed, they deserved to be prosecuted for the fire, and that should have been the end of it. I think what the Feds did to them was uncalled for.. but remember none of this was asked for by the Hammonds... they don't want this attention out there.. nobody does.

BTW, glad they are taking a hands off approach.. this could turn ugly real quick.. and we don't need another Ruby Ridge or Waco on our hands.

Hammonds committed a number of crimes...including many which affected "country " folks...

Exr

So, the US reminds everyone that black people ain't shit at the end of 2015 (Rice verdict) and starts 2016 by showing off white privilege.
I would think measures were being taken not to have a Waco like situation. I dont think the response to this one is predecated on race.

are we sure these are terrorists? i don't see any

POLITICAL MOTIVATION

The leader is a follower of the sovereign citizen movement like his father and Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols. The only difference between this bunch and one of the groups hijacking planes in the 1970's is these cowards bring their own hostages, the demand is still the same "concede to our demands and nobody gets hurt" (in this case, they want to see the Hammonds go free, due to the fact that their crimes took place on federally owned land and thus, due to their screwed up view about how the real world works, the federal government doesn't exist/cannot own property).

Jonm1010

Banned
Right, but like I said, usually these kinds of acts when labeled as 'terrorism' involve either hostage taking or mass shootings of unarmed civvies.

Would you consider Wounded Knee in 1973 to be terrorism as well? I don't.

It has been a while since I read up on the Wounded Knee stand-off but the circumstances and context are strikingly different are they not?

I mean if you zoom out far enough in terms of broad similarities, you can make almost anything come off sounding similar.

lawnchair

Banned

Why are people so eager to risk LE lives when it doesn't have to go down that way? Just wait them out.

i'm eager for it to be dealt with ASAP so the idea that you can just take over a federal building in america with guns and not be dealt with immediately isn't perpetuated. i dont think this should be allowed to go on. if the headline was "group of unarmed protesters takes federal building" that's one thing. "armed gunmen take federal building" to me is pretty extreme on the crime spectrum and requires a pretty quick and hard response.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
QQLoMOQ.jpg

pVzNTHa.jpg

1. Whoever they decide to collectively roll up on next when they feel like America hasn't woken up yet to the threat the government poses.
  2. Themselves and others, in general. These so-called militias are suicidal and homicidal. They exist to do violence and die if necessary, because they consider themselves soldiers.
  3. Not a who, but a what: The rule of law. They are breaking the law to further their cause of subverting the lawful conviction of two poachers and arsonists.

1. Whoever they decide to collectively roll up on next when they feel like America hasn't woken up yet to the threat the government poses.
  2. Themselves and others, in general. These so-called militias are suicidal and homicidal. They exist to do violence and die if necessary, because they consider themselves soldiers.
  3. Not a who, but a what: The rule of law. They are breaking the law to further their cause of subverting the lawful conviction of two poachers and arsonists.

Not to mention they bring unarmed women and children into these situations to use as human shields. They're dangerous cowards.

NervousXtian

Hammonds committed a number of crimes...including many which affected "country " folks...

..and the original sentence was fair. The feds using the law put in place because of Oklahoma City is pretty absurd... yes what they did could have caused serious harm, but it didn't, and controlled burns are something that ranchers do in this area, and the feds do. They burned public land, they were found correctly guilty though. That said, the Feds appealing the original sentences to make it 5 years later is crap.

i'm eager for it to be dealt with ASAP so the idea that you can just take over a federal building in america with guns and not be dealt with immediately isn't perpetuated. i dont think this should be allowed to go on. if the headline was "group of unarmed protesters takes federal building" that's one thing. "armed gunmen take federal building" to me is pretty extreme on the crime spectrum and requires a pretty quick and hard response.

I think context of the situation needs to be taken into account. Nobody is/was at the building in question. Nobody is visiting that area this time of year as is. It's in an area so isolated from almost everyone they can really afford to sit on this for quite some time.. they are literally causing ZERO disruption to anything right now.

Playing it safe make sense, and isn't that what people want in all these kinds of situations?

lawnchair

Banned
I think context of the situation needs to be taken into account. Nobody is/was at the building in question. Nobody is visiting that area this time of year as is. It's in an area so isolated from almost everyone they can really afford to sit on this for quite some time.. they are literally causing ZERO disruption to anything right now.

Playing it safe make sense, and isn't that what people want in all these kinds of situations?

to me the act itself is the disruption that needs to be dealt with immediately. these people are breaking the law and spitting in the face of the government. they're not jaywalking, they're not smoking cigarettes within 25 feet of a restaurant entrance. they've taken over US government property and threatened to use violence if they are acted against. why send in law enforcement? because it's the job of law enforcement to enforce the law. there are people who get paid, who have taken an oath to uphold the law and defend this country against enemies foreign and domestic, who are trained to deal with situations just like this.

this isn't syria, or iraq, or some place where it's questionable whether the use of force by the government is justified. this is fucking OREGON, USA.

and it goes without saying that if the guy making statements for this group had the last name "Muhammed" instead of "Bundy" we wouldn't even have time to be having this discussion.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Which part of "THREATENING TO KILL ANYONE WHO TRIES TO REMOVE THEM" do you people not get?

If this was a ragtag bunch of hillbillies who decided to dick around with banjos and such, I (and most people, presumably) wouldn't give a shit. But when you have a bunch of extremist lunatics with HIGH POWERED WEAPONS, the reaction is unsurpisingly a bit different.

I would think measures were being taken not to have a Waco like situation. I dont think the response to this one is predecated on race.

It's not like there are people in power saying WELP THEY ARE WHITEYS! SAFE! It's more that treatment and reaction is different all around. How can you possibly deny that?

This is cattle land.

Best summary of the situation

Whole thing is insane and furthers dangerous precedents.

I mean, what's to stop these jackasses diversifying down South and trying some sort of nonsense with the CDC or other "meh" federal entities/locations under equally spurious and dangerous reasoning? To say nothing of the obvious racial component and that the people at the helm of this nonsense have already engaged in this before with the Ranch mess from last year.

That so many people will either passively defend or actively hand wave this on by is telling and depressing in equal parts---there is no way this is heading in a good and healthy direction for this country. Nationalist and/or Dominionist shitheels that fancy themselves Patriots are way on up there in terms of being absolutely toxic and corrosive----more than doubly so when they get all heavily armed and bellicose about it.

Mrmartel

Banned

The thing is, if the feds went in there by force. Some of these guys will fight back. The losses on both sides, probably would be large. Nevermind the lightning storm it would cause with like minded folks across the country that loathe the feds with all their might. Pockets of violence could spark up everywhere.

Whole thing is insane and furthers dangerous precedents.

I mean, what's to stop these jackasses diversifying down South and trying some sort of nonsense with the CDC or other "meh" federal entities/locations under equally spurious and dangerous reasoning? To say nothing of the obvious racial component and that the people at the helm of this nonsense have already engaged in this before with the Ranch mess from last year.

That so many people will either passively defend or actively hand wave this on by is telling and depressing in equal parts---there is no way this is heading in a good and healthy direction for this country. Nationalist and/or Dominionist shitheels that fancy themselves Patriots are way on up there in terms of being absolutely toxic and corrosive----more than doubly so when they get all heavily armed and bellicose about it.

The fact of the matter is that if the Feds bring any violence , the militia movement gets a rallying call and can spark something far worse. So waiting them out is the best response.

lawnchair

Banned
The thing is, if the feds went in there by force. Some of these guys will fight back. The losses on both sides, probably would be large.

these people have effectively taken up arms against the united states of america, in the united states of america. it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody if some of them end up losing their lives. it's not a tragedy if armed criminals get shot. that's what happens. if you take a weapon and commit a crime, you can end up getting shot. that's justified on the street of anywhere and also justified in cow country.

it would be sad if members of law enforcement lost their lives. but as i stated earlier i believe it's their job to go in in this situation. they are better equipped, they make a plan and execute it. letting this situation continue is a joke. we shouldn't NOT resolve this situation as quickly as possible because of some nebulous fear of a nation-wide armed hick rebellion, give me a break.

The thing is, if the FBI went in there by force. Some of these guys will fight back. The losses on both sides, probably would be large. Nevermind the lighting storm it would cause with like minded folks across the country that loathe the feds with all their might. Pockets of violence could spark up everywhere.

Unfortunately, it seems these folks were emboldened by BLM's retreat from the Bundy Ranch standoff last year. (We still haven't seen the $1 million in fees that Bundy owes, by the way).

I understand the rationale behind the government's light touch here, but at some point the Feds are going to have to draw a line. I'm guessing that they're waiting for the 'protesters' to do something which is indefensible in the eyes of the general public. Up to this point we've had guys like Hannity and even elected officials like Sen Cruz offering support for the antigovernment movement out west. We'll see Monday if they're still willing to stick their necks out for these people.

these people have effectively taken up arms against the united states of america, in the united states of america. it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody if some of them end up losing their lives. it's not a tragedy if armed criminals get shot. that's what happens. if you take a weapon and commit a crime, you can end up getting shot. that's justified on the street of anywhere and also justified in cow country.

it would be sad if members of law enforcement lost their lives. but as i stated earlier i believe it's their job to go in in this situation. they are better equipped, they make a plan and execute it. letting this situation continue is a joke. we shouldn't NOT resolve this situation as quickly as possible because of some nebulous fear of a nation-wide armed hick rebellion, give me a break.

Let's repeat history
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcveigh/mcveighwaco.html

NervousXtian

to me the act itself is the disruption that needs to be dealt with immediately. these people are breaking the law and spitting in the face of the government. they're not jaywalking, they're not smoking cigarettes within 25 feet of a restaurant entrance. they've taken over US government property and threatened to use violence if they are acted against. why send in law enforcement? because it's the job of law enforcement to enforce the law. there are people who get paid, who have taken an oath to uphold the law and defend this country against enemies foreign and domestic, who are trained to deal with situations just like this.

this isn't syria, or iraq, or some place where it's questionable whether the use of force by the government is justified. this is fucking OREGON, USA.

and it goes without saying that if the guy making statements for this group had the last name "Muhammed" instead of "Bundy" we wouldn't even have time to be having this discussion.

That would be a huge mistake.

First off, people trying to tie this into some racial thing are missing why this is different.. and it's not race.

First, it's remote. The other Bundy situation was remote, Ruby Ridge was remote. These aren't areas with a lot of people.

Second, they are armed. Heavily armed.

Nothing good comes out of trying to make this situation into something more than it is. They don't have 150 people there... they have a few dozen.. and sure they might get more... but in the end let it run it's course... it's not setting some precedent, it's stopping a fucking tragedy from happening.

LE or Feds coming guns a blazing is akin to asking a suicidal guy on the Golden Gate to just jump.

The fact of the matter is that if the Feds bring any violence , the militia movement gets a rallying call and can spark something far worse. So waiting them out is the best response.

ANY response is something these idiots can/will spin to their advantage---just like how they springboarded off of "Damn, they wouldn't shoot even our women and kids even with our obvious snipers being obvious!" from back at the Ranch to now have escalated into this current damned mess since consequences for brandishing lots of guns at lots of enforcement has somehow magically lost all power as a catalyst in the USA in 2016.

"Vile government froze my kids to death slowly, damn that Obama~" or some such would be everywhere while most jackasses at the media helm would be liable to fall all over themselves to equate the thing to a sit in/MLK/you name it.

Especially considering their reasons for doing this and stated plans for The Land as per earlier posts above---this kind of hands off, emboldening attitude would be quite a sight to behold back in the heyday of the KKK if not for the fact that history is already jam packed of the kind of things doing that wrought.

I wonder what would happen if some different looking people drove up to the place to protest the group's actions there on the federal grounds or even just outside of it publicly...

besada

Banned
And if they do nothing, they run the risk of encouraging other groups to engage in similar actions. I don't want to see a violent shoot out, but I would like to see my government doing something to make it clear they're in control of the situation. There are dangers in both too hard and too soft a response.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And if they do nothing, they run the risk of encouraging other groups to engage in similar actions. I don't want to see a violent shoot out, but I would like to see my government doing something to make it clear they're in control of the situation. There are dangers in both too hard and too soft a response.

Hearing that there's not much law enforcement presence is disappointing. I want to hear that they have the area surrounded, have cut off amenities, and will just arrest them as they come out.

Mrmartel

Banned

it would be sad if members of law enforcement lost their lives. but as i stated earlier i believe it's their job to go in in this situation. they are better equipped, they make a plan and execute it. letting this situation continue is a joke.

Well I think that a large portion of people wouldn't see them as criminals. Have you travelled through flyover much? A large minority of people in these rural areas, hate the feds and it's only been increasing over time. Due to perceived increase of survalliance state measures, government overreach, forced immigration, bigger government and various recent policies/messages about gun control etc.. A massacre of a bunch of farmers and retired white people would be seen as a direct assault against this group of well armed individuals that identify in some forms with these people.

Waco didn't do much to rustle militia fervors or anyone's for that matter. But with the mass media now easily spread and consumed, as well as possible media figures like alex jones (and many, many others) screaming bloody murder, well the shit could spread fast. I would also suggest that the individuals currently involved in this takeover would gather more sympathy from a typical rural person as opposed to the cultish religious nutjobs in the Waco incident, who maybe only appealed to the westboro crowd.

Anyways I agree that the laws should be enforced. But they simply can't be in this situation due to a can of worms being opened. A can of worms that a few dead farmers and government agents can't even compare too. Just got to wait them out.

Lenz44

Banned

It's a fine line to walk, you want to get them out as quickly as possible- but you also don't want it so messy as to get a crazy person (or people) to perform a terrorist attack like in Oklahoma City in "retribution".

All they have to do is discredit them and wait them out. There's a slow simmer of anti government sentiment in this country, I don't want this to explode. Blockade the compound, cut the power and wait for them to surrender.

NervousXtian

Hearing that there's not much law enforcement presence is disappointing. I want to hear that they have the area surrounded, have cut off amenities, and will just arrest them as they come out.

There's only 6 people employed by the county sheriff.. and a handful of other LE even in the area... everything would have to come from the outside.

When I say Burns is the middle of fucking nowhere, I mean it. It's about a 7 hour drive from Portland, Salem or Eugene.

lawnchair

Banned
i'll just say one more time that i think it's wrong to NOT uphold the law and act against these people immediately based on fear of retribution by some fringe group of psychos. clearly many of you disagree with me.

NervousXtian

i'll just say one more time that i think it's wrong to NOT uphold the law and act against these people immediately based on fear of retribution by some fringe group of psychos. clearly many of you disagree with me.

I'm just saying what you'd cause is massive bloodshed and multiple casualties by trying to put an end to this quickly.

Forcing this to end quickly is akin to asking a suicidal person to jump.

besada

Banned
All they have to do is discredit them and wait them out. There's a slow simmer of anti government sentiment in this country, I don't want this to explode. Blockade the compound, cut the power and wait for them to surrender.
The problem is they aren't blockading the compound. Both press and members of the militia have confirmed there is no police presence at all. They are freely moving in and out of the compound, resupplying, and bringing more people in. They also haven't cut the power. As I said, my issue is that nothing at all seems to be being done. They're setting up a task force tomorrow, but right now the only blockade is the one controlled by the militia, as they've set up their own roadblocks into the area.
When I say Burns is the middle of fucking nowhere, I mean it. It's about a 7 hour drive from Portland, Salem or Eugene.
That would be a reasonable excuse if this hadn't started yesterday. If the FBI is incapable of mobilizing a force there in a day, that's a problem.

Mrmartel

Banned
There's only 6 people employed by the county sheriff.. and a handful of other LE even in the area... everything would have to come from the outside.

This is probably the reason why there is a lack of police presence and why the wait it out policy will prevail.

If it was in a government building in the middle of Portland... well

These guys are away from any civilians and literally in the woods. A forceful intervention would be seen as a bringing a rocket launcher to arrest a school bully. I think a lot of Americans would see it as totally unnecessary and a violent confrontation could possibly martr these guys, as well as explode prevalent anti government sentiments in the USA like I mentioned before.

bengraven

That martyr video pissed me off.

If you love your family that much, then why would kill yourself just because the government pisses you off? You're going to make your wife be overburdened to support your family, your kids are going to grow up without fathers and not giving a shit about the cause you gave your life for - and probably even resent it and you for doing it.

Get the fuck out of there and take care of your family, idiot.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"Middle of nowhere."

What a bs excuse. What, the national guard doesn't exist in Oregon? Are the cops (not just the city, but from surrounding areas) riding around on mules that they haven't reached the city/building? Been a day and nothing.

That martyr video pissed me off.

If you love your family that much, then why would kill yourself just because the government pisses you off? You're going to make your wife be overburdened to support your family, your kids are going to grow up without fathers and not giving a shit about the cause you gave your life for - and probably even resent it and you for doing it.

Get the fuck out of there and take care of your family, idiot.

For once, the top comment on youtube is apt:

If this man were born in a different country he'd be a suicide bomber.

The video struck me as very manufactured, but also very revealing. There is a sentiment in many rural communities out west that federal land management deprives them of a resource they need to sustain their economies. Ritzheimer is appealing directly to that line of thinking - it's the same rage that causes someone to, for instance, spew racist abuse at a group of anti-fracking protesters, or demand that a wall be built on the Mexican border. They are trying to tap into real anger, which is why the federal government wants to tread carefully here.

Why do people keep saying this shit, when the government has changed their approach to this type of domestic terrorism since Waco. They want a complete minimalization of potential violence, and they're dealing with heavily armed delusional people. It's not comparable to whatever you're trying to compare it to.

Maybe the lesson here is that more people should exercise their second amendment rights during protests.

I agree. It's nice that people see the hypocrisy in the way government treats these guys. But I don't understand why people on the left are rooting against them when they should be learning from their effective tactics.

PopeReal

I agree. It's nice that people see the hypocrisy in the way government treats these guys. But I don't understand why people on the left are rooting against them when they should be learning from their effective tactics.

Learning these tactics would be a death sentence for some.

As to the feds wanting to tread lightly I get it. But there is treading lightly and then there is allowing a militia to set up roadblocks to dictate the flow of people and supplies to a building they are occupying.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For once, the top comment on youtube is apt:

The video struck me as very manufactured, but also very revealing. There is a sentiment in many rural communities out west that federal land management deprives them of a resource they need to sustain their economies. Ritzheimer is appealing directly to that line of thinking - it's the same rage that causes someone to, for instance, spew racist abuse at a group of anti-fracking protesters, or demand that a wall be built on the Mexican border. They are trying to tap into real anger, which is why the federal government wants to tread carefully here.

It's truly amazing how the right-wing media has managed to convince conservatives that tiny, innocuous agencies like the BLM and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are existential threats that should be taken on and worth dying over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom