• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a fair point. If it were a group of Muslim people doing the same thing in the same context while armed, federal agents wouldn't rush in there guns blazing.

Isn't forcibly taking control of a building effectively looting the property itself?

Oh absolutely, and long term everyone is going to go to jail for this, but what you do is wait them out, not rush in there with guns. That would be a grave mistake resulting in deaths on both sides for no gain.

It's a fair point. If it were a group of Muslim people doing the same thing in the same context while armed, federal agents wouldn't rush in there guns blazing.

Oh absolutely, and long term everyone is going to go to jail for this, but what you do is wait them out, not rush in there with guns. That would be a grave mistake resulting in deaths on both sides for no gain.

You're right, tear gas and flashbangs first.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I agree, and I do hope the talk of the cops storming in is frustrated sarcasm. This is how cops SHOULD be handling things, and it's just too mad minorities don't get the same consideration.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't know a ton about the background of the situation, but the tepid response to it in comparison to all of the protests were saw last year is infuriating.

Paskil

So this is yielding the runaway best hashtags of 2016:

#‎vanillaisis‬, ‪#‎yallqaeda‬, ‪#‎yalliban‬, ‪#‎yokelharam‬, and ‪#‎yeehawd

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well you are rightly pointing out issues within the US with regards to differences in the treatment of citizens based on race.

I am raising a point about the forum and the use of racial language with a view to make a generalised point / insult.

This forum is not America, I don't think it's TOS is supposed to adhere to differing standards based upon racial background / direction of the intended point, therefore infering generalisations around colour is unacceptable no matter the race you are directing it at or the race you are from.

I think most of us understood what he meant, but he could have been more specific.

"Being white in rural America" may have been a better way to put it.

aeolist

Banned
I agree, and I do hope the talk of the cops storming in is frustrated sarcasm. This is how cops SHOULD be handling things, and it's just too mad minorities don't get the same consideration.

it's sarcasm, yes. nobody actually wants the cops to instantly shoot anyone, and we all want potentially violent situations to be peacefully deescalated.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's got to be fucking sweet to just carry guns and break laws without repercussion when you feel like it.

Privilege is taken for granted, so no.
These people are convinced that they're more oppressed than <insert any group here>.

I can't think of a better response to this situation.
Shame we can't transplant all the indignant angry militia members across America into the shoes of minorities for a month, then they could experience unfair treatment in abundance and likely come out of the experience better people.

Is he wrong? They stormed a federal building. They have yet to do anything else, and history says they won't.

Regardless the police and feds are setting up a command center right now. They aren't going to storm them for obvious reasons, we'll see how it plays out. Unless the militia shoots first they're going to be fine.
What are you on about? We all saw the protesters and even media members get roughed up and tear gassed in Ferguson even when they werent doing anything illegal.

Ayt

Banned
I still don't know a ton about the background of the situation, but the tepid response to it in comparison to all of the protests were saw last year is infuriating.

Why? You don't think the authorities should be trying to avoid a potential bloodbath?

Why? You don't think the authorities should be trying to avoid a potential bloodbath?
When people express frustration, it's at how this situation is being handled with the care similar situations warranted. Minorities haven't gotten that same treatment.

No one's asking for authorities to be trigger-happy. We're asking why they are when they deal with black people.

Is he wrong? They stormed a federal building. They have yet to do anything else, and history says they won't.

Regardless the police and feds are setting up a command center right now. They aren't going to storm them for obvious reasons, we'll see how it plays out. Unless the militia shoots first they're going to be fine.

This is a fucking domestic terrorist situation.

And history says this kind of thing gets fucked fast. The only reason people are not doing anything about it this time is to "stick it to them liberals".

I see now why PD is the most banned member in neogaf history. Yes he's wrong. He's comparing apples to oranges.

What does that have to do with anything?
It has to do with conversation we were having.
He was insinuating that rioting was the reason for strong arm police tactics we the saw last few summers.
I'm saying we saw the arm of the law brought down and hooligans and peaceful demonstrators alike.

antonz

And history says this kind of thing gets fucked fast. The only reason people are not doing anything about it this time is to "stick it to them liberals".

History shows these things get fucked when the Feds rush or violate their own policies to try and Squash these things by force.

They are harming no one and no one is in immediate danger. There is 0 reason for the Government to swarm in guns and tanks blazing.

Yes, police react differently to protests, peaceful and riotous alike, based on the color of the protest participants.

I don't think it's worth discussing in this situation though.

A good quote for many of 2014 and 2015's black protests.

Yes, but protests do require police presence and maintenance because they have the potential to get violent. This situation necessitates the police standing off as much as possible to reduce violence.

Long story short, if it were muslim or black people in there for the same reasons you'd see a very similar police response.

antonz

A good quote for 2014 and 2015's black protests.

You keep mixing Police response with Federal Government response. They are 2 separate entities. Police Jurisdiction without a doubt is abusive and needs to learn to get off the trigger.

Federal Response used to be just as bad but major incidents changed their charging in policy. The Government has told Police they need to chill out but the Government has very little control over how police react

Yeah. It's also Oregon in the Winter, they could just cut off the gas or wait for them to run out of propane.

Temp is 31 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 Degrees Celsius) in Burns right now, and it's expected to get down to 13 degrees (-11 C) when night falls. It's certainly possible to try to freeze them out, but it wouldn't surprise me if the criminals thought of that and brought in extra clothes and heat sources to counter it since that's a standard tactic they use in these types of situation. They might also damage the building/contents trying to build fires to stay warm. Gonna suck for the Arizona boy, though. Welcome to Oregon! :p

This is blatantly false. As has been pointed out at least ten times in this thread, the federal and police response to domestic terrorism/militia standoffs changed after Waco. The feds are going to try their best to avoid a shootout with these extremists. If this was a case of a bunch of unarmed protesters of course the response would be different. We're talking about heavily armed people barricaded in a building. If you can't see why this is different from Ferguson I can't help you.

This is blatantly false. As has been pointed out at least ten times in this thread, the federal and police response to domestic terrorism/militia standoffs changed after Waco. The feds are going to try their best to avoid a shootout with these extremists. If this was a case of a bunch of unarmed protesters of course the response would be different. We're talking about heavily armed people barricaded in a building. If you can't see why this is different from Ferguson I can't help you.

ding ding ding

The first thing I thought of when I saw this story was Waco, and you better believe that's on the feds' minds as well. They want to avoid a repeat of that.

aeolist

Banned

i think the hypothetical people are making is that if it were brown people in this exact set of circumstances then the post-waco policy changes would go out the window and there would be SWAT teams already storming the building

i don't know if i agree with it but it's not just drawing a direct line between ferguson and this

i think the hypothetical people are making is that if it were brown people in this exact set of circumstances then the post-waco policy changes would go out the window and there would be SWAT teams already storming the building

i don't know if i agree with it but it's not just drawing a direct line between ferguson and this

SWAT would just immediately storm a barricaded building if the colors were switched? Yea, that's not true.

akira28

SWAT would just immediately storm a barricaded building if the colors were switched? Yea, that's not true.

depends. if it was the panthers or move, or someone like that, they very well might have.

although in those instances, the terrorists were the ones in blue.

aeolist

Banned

i think at the very least there would be a reverse in attitudes and perception. right now even the people who disagree with these particular nutjobs don't want anyone to get killed, if it were heavily armed ethnically african or middle-eastern muslims occupying the building there would be tons of people howling for blood.

aeolist

Banned
The authorities' response wouldn't be so casual about it.

i doubt there's anything casual about the conversations going on between local law enforcement and US marshals/FBI/everyone else at the federal level. i'm sure they're taking this really seriously and just don't want to escalate things right now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Laughing my ass off at the names #YallQaeda and #YeeHawd.

That's good shit.

As far as I can tell, 'yeehawd' was actually coined by bigots. Weird.

The authorities' response wouldn't be so casual about it.

There is nothing casual about the response. The FBI and other organizations are involved, they aren't sitting around doing nothing. Based on past similar cases, their primary goal is to avoid a shootout/bloodshed. And barring some change in the militias behavior - for instance if they start attacking citizens or something - I'd expect the feds to continue what they're doing to diffuse things.

The attitudes and perception would be on a completely different level, especially after the comment about being willing to get in a gun fight. That one comment about "they ain't doing nothing" would be completely different. "Are they accessing sensitive information!!!???" The media would think of things to fear.

But now it's treated casually. Patience from the feds would still be there. After this is over they'll be arrested all the same.

Retro

&#8234;#&#8206;yallqaeda is the best thing ever.

Just give them bread soaked in water.

Come on, they're white people. You can't feed them gluten, that's just excessive. There's this crazy little thing called human dignity, check it out.

You would rather shut the discussion down than leave it.

No there's a discussion worth having, and I think it's this quoted below:

i think at the very least there would be a reverse in attitudes and perception. right now even the people who disagree with these particular nutjobs don't want anyone to get killed, if it were heavily armed ethnically african or middle-eastern muslims occupying the building there would be tons of people howling for blood.

The reaction from authorities really isn't interesting or comparable to other situations where race was an issue, but what is interesting is the reaction from the American people and how that's affected by the color of the perpetrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom