• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F A K E G A F T E N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiao Hu

Western is a boring ass setting set in a boring ass region during a boring ass time period of a specific country ¯_(ツ)_/¯

#AmericanHistorySucks

Ok bad's an overstatement, irritating is probably better

Like it was continually "I'll help you but do this thing for me first" *does thing* "Ok now do this other thing" ad fucking nauseum, with just incredibly dull characters. Like I'm pretty indifferent to stories in games generally, but don't make it so actively annoying that I just want to kill all the characters

And it's weird, because I really like GTA and Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favourite films. It just felt kind of like a bad imitation of both to me

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Western is a boring ass setting set in a boring ass region during a boring ass time period of a specific country ¯_(ツ)_/¯

#AmericanHistorySucks

Uh...I don't think a German should really start talking about other countries histories...

Because you thuglifed and left the door open?

no that somehow never got mentioned. but apparently I was too slow on stuff when she wasn't there and also some of the things I did mysteriously disappeared and it of course looked like I didn't do them and just dicked around. I srsly dont know if I somehow made a mistake or the software had problems but I never do anything else than work when I'm there (and check GAF maybe once or twice). with the shitty pcs I constantly have to switch between (I don't have a fixed seat) I lose so much time on program errors and other shit x_x

Pau

#AmericanHistorySucks
No the region is gorgeous and Red Dead Redemption has more variation than I expected (desert, swamp, and mountain). The time period is white washed a lot and the focus on particular actors (white Americans) is over done in film, but there's a lot going on in the history because of all the different people involved: Native Americans, Mexicans, Chinese immigrants, black Americans and white Americans. And then add to that the introduction of new technologies. I can't see how that's boring.

FUME5

8 am, plants are watered, house has been cleaned, don't have anything else I need to do around the place.

Guess there's only one thing for it.

jb1234

Dude #2 is trying to get me back into an orgy situation with eight of his friends. I'm deeply indifferent.

(And most of the dudes aren't my type.)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
49ebbfc934.jpg
Yasssss I need that hat

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I loved Red Dead Redemption for what it did well; portray a convincing interactive Western landscape with appropriate game systems. Being a fan of Westerns, and their general underrepresentation in the medium, probably went a long way towards me enjoying it as much as I did. I also felt that, much like Bully, it accentuated Rockstar's ludicrously huge production values and attention to detail, particularly in presentation. The Witcher 3 drew parallels in core immersion; slowly trotting your horse through detailed landscapes as a storm rolls over the horizon. RDR was filled with these moments.

But I also felt it had pacing issues, like almost every Rockstar game, wherein the middle stretch drags the narrative down to meandering, time filling junk. Rockstar's penchant for darker characters worked better here that it does in some of their other work. But I also think RDR is a prime case for ludonarrative dissonance that I'm not a fan of in a lot of Rockstar games. I know it's such a fucking crazy hard thing to balance in an open world sandbox that's also trying to push strong characters and a heavy narrative, but I found something inherently offputting about being able to play as basically a psychopath in your own times that's completely ignored once you start triggering cutscenes.

Still, I'm done for more Westerns.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I dislike all Rockstar games that I have played outside of the PS2 GTA trilogy.

Never played a Red Dead game, though.

jb1234

I loved Red Dead Redemption for what it did well; portray a convincing interactive Western landscape with appropriate game systems. Being a fan of Westerns, and their general underrepresentation in the medium, probably went a long way towards me enjoying it as much as I did. I also felt that, much like Bully, it accentuated Rockstar's ludicrously huge production values and attention to detail, particularly in presentation. The Witcher 3 drew parallels in core immersion; slowly trotting your horse through detailed landscapes as a storm rolls over the horizon. RDR was filled with these moments.

But I also felt it had pacing issues, like almost every Rockstar game, wherein the middle stretch drags the narrative down to meandering, time filling junk. Rockstar's penchant for darker characters worked better here that it does in some of their other work. But I also think RDR is a prime case for ludonarrative dissonance that I'm not a fan of in a lot of Rockstar games. I know it's such a fucking crazy hard thing to balance in an open world sandbox that's also trying to push strong characters and a heavy narrative, but I found something inherently offputting about being able to play as basically a psychopath in your own times that's completely ignored once you start triggering cutscenes.

Still, I'm done for more Westerns.

Yeah, I think it's generally agreed that the Mexico segment is pretty weak. I remember starting to lose interest in the game midway through until it picked up after that.

marrec

Banned
Used a apple cider vinegar rinse on my hair today and, surprisingly, it seems to have been beneficial to my scalp!

Usually I don't go in for the "home remedy" crap but my scalp had been dry and flaky for months :(

So anyway, how's things?

I actually didn't enjoy Red Dead Redemption, it was the first open world game that I played where I felt cheated after 20 or so hours. The world was just completely uninteresting.

jb1234

I really want to like World of FF but the more footage that's released, the more I think it's going to be unbearable to play. My tolerance for anime cheese is at an all time low.

Zero²

Heyyyyy you lovely people! My life have been kinda crazy lately so that means no GAF time unfortunately, but I'm just showing here to tell I never forgot about you all 😍
Btw wtf is going on with my quote hahaha

Ima post a pic just let me upload it somewhere....

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why are people on the internet so often so argumentative about the most trivial things

What is a resume?
It is what happens when you unpause Netflix

zeemumu

The timing for that full moon the other night couldn't have been better.

I'm nervous about this professor. He said he'd cut us some slack on the first assignment but apparently the way in which the hard copy is printed counts for 50pts of the assignment. I don't really see handing in a programming assignment and then getting docked 50pts because it's in portrait instead of landscape as fair, but alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom