• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-Zero GP Legend review/impressions

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Pretty sure the full review is set to go up tomorrow at gamedaily... but yeah. Here's some of the important bits:

Edit: forgot to mention it's getting 3/5.

Pros/Cons
+ Better sense of speed than nearly any other GBA racer
+ Varied track design. Most genuinely do have their own “feel” to them
+ A perfect learning curve keeps things challenging, but rarely frustrating
+ The Zero Tests add further replay value to the package
+/- Feels extremely similar to the SNES and first GBA F-Zero incarnations
- The most baffling and pointless story mode I’ve ever seen
- machines now seem ‘pinball’ off walls with much more severity, resulting in cheap deaths.

Bottom Line

If you liked the original F-Zero or F-Zero Maximum Velocity, you’ll like this title. Even if you didn’t, the chances are pretty good you’ll still like this title. That being said, it’s not a particularly exciting package. Although there are a few new modes of play, for the most part GP Legend feels like a by-the-numbers sequel. I enjoyed playing the game, and I experienced genuine sensations of speed (which are hard to experience on the GBA), but I’m not confident that the formula can hold up for many more sequels.

More about the story mode:
It’s unfortunate that F-Zero GP Legend’s largest addition from the previous GBA entry is that of an in-depth story mode, supposedly following the plotline of the new F-Zero anime. I say unfortunate because it’s such a garbled mess that it’s literally laughable. I think the best word to describe it would be “bewildering.”

You begin your quest as the brash young hero Rick Wheeler, competing in races in between somewhat confusing cutscenes. As you advance his storyline, other characters open up and you can race your way through their plotlines as well. The idea was for some mysteries to remain unsolved until you unlocked this or that character and then you would eventually get to see the events that transpired through their eyes, and all would be made clear. The end result is a jumbled mess of 8 different storylines that often never get resolved, and frequently and inexplicably lead to racing. You’ll be racing to get an antidote, to get your memory back, to save a doctor who apparently got kidnapped at some point, and plenty more.

About the cornering and use of brakes
Thankfully, F-Zero’s racing itself shines as bright as ever, which makes overlooking the amazingly bad story mode much easier to do. GP Legend isn’t attempting to remake the wheel. Tracks still feature mines, huge jumps, lava pits, recharge strips, boosters, and all the other F-Zero conventions. The best thing about the game’s tracks is that they feature 90 (or more) degree turns quite often, requiring gamers to actually use the brake. It makes the racing experience much more satisfying, as you slowly pick up what turns in each course require braking, leaning with L or R, or simply skillful cornering. Slamming on the brake and turning hard at just the right moment to make an inside pass on a tight corner will probably never get old. The extreme consequences for missing a turn will ensure that gamers get plenty good at it, however.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I was pretty excited for a new F-Zero until Nintendo released information that the new one was going to have a course editor. I can wait, I'm skipping out on this one and waiting for the real sequel.

Thanks for the review, it was pretty informative.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I absolutely love this game. Lemme see if I can pull up the little "review" I wrote up in an email for a bunch of friends. It absolutely destroys the last GBA game, in every possible sense.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Here's the 'Who Are You' advertorial, posted in my magazine ads thread

681602fzergp-legend.jpg

I don't get the story bashing; its about right for the anime and by playing the extra characters you get to see how everything fits together. It's definitely no more silly than the instruction manual stuff and F-Zero GX.

As for the game, it's by far the closest to F-Zero SNES, which is a good thing in my mind. The game does have some difficulty balance issues (it gets really hard at some very odd times) though.

Respect +1000 for the 'Silence' track remix.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
To say nothing else of the rest of the game, this game's audio has me going ga-ga. My only complaint... the music isn't loud enough, even with the best headphones I own and the volume all the way cranked up.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's not the silliness factor of the storyline that really had me disliking it so much, although it certainly contributed. It was more that I literally had no idea what was going on half the time. The dialogue seemed genuinely random bunch of the time.

Top Bottom