• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Orgun

Shaneus said:
Are they any good? Might buy if they make a decent difference.

I only had time to have a quick 5 minute blast around Melbourne last night but yeah I thought they were really good and sturdy. I'll try to get some more detailed impressions up when I have more time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
iciEVBD5J.gif

Is this actually from the game?

Anyway, I had no interest in getting 2011 after last years disappointing game (I put less than 8hrs into it before quitting forever) but the more I hear about 2011 the more I am interested. Especially if I could find someone to co-op with. Would like to play in a season with you guys too, but I will wait before I decide to put my name down to see if I cave and buy it or not.

Sup Shaneus.

Lucius86

Banned
Gen X said:
Is this actually from the game?

Anyway, I had no interest in getting 2011 after last years disappointing game (I put less than 8hrs into it before quitting forever) but the more I hear about 2011 the more I am interested. Especially if I could find someone to co-op with. Would like to play in a season with you guys too, but I will wait before I decide to put my name down to see if I cave and buy it or not.

Sup Shaneus.

Yes it is. Look underneath the car and you can tell from the shadow it is in the game engine. It was used in one of their dev diaries.

When are you guys going to start the qualifying session? It seems alot of people are interested in joining the league. I won't be able to play the game until the 28th :(

Games for Windows Live (GAF Username | Gamertag)
SunhiLegend | SunhiLegend

Steam (GAF Username | SteamID)
SunhiLegend | SunhiLegend86

New to Steam, Can't believe SunhiLegend was taken.

Lucius86

Banned
I believe we are aiming for 2-3 weeks after the game's general release. We want to give everyone a chance to learn the new game before the league starts.

Also new for F1 2011 is a full XP system for every ranked match online. Last year there was little incentive to race with 2010 performance levels - but F1 2011 introduces a fully-realised XP system that rewards brilliant overtakes, performances exceeding the expectations of the team you are driving fors, but it also punishes you for reckless contact.
If it's anything like DiRT3, this is going to be the most irritating feature in the world, as you're constantly punished for some moron driving into the back of you at 160mph around a corner. "It's your fault," says the game, docking you your XP.

Lucius86

Banned
S. L. said:
will there be a demo?
want to try if it runs decent on my pc before i decide between ps3 or pc

Doubt it on the demo. What spec is your PC? The game isn't that demanding from what has been experienced with Ego engine based games before.

S. L.

Lucius86 said:
Doubt it on the demo. What spec is your PC? The game isn't that demanding from what has been experienced with Ego engine based games before.
Dirt3 is from the same guys right? that one runs alright for me

Bad_Boy said:
i wonder if the vita version will have the same physics/driving model.

I've not seen any of the media for it, but my suspicion would be (especially given that it's a launch game) that they've just taken the 2009 psp game and tweaked that a bit.

There is Vita footage out there. It looks like it will be a bit twitchy with the stick, but it did look very good at the same time.

If I was getting a Vita I'd probably get it to play in uni.

Manik

Cool stuff, thanks for the OP update FV - Will start adding a few people this evening on Steam and join the group.

I might have just missed it, but is there a link to the manual online yet? I remember Helios saying he'd help out with it, but wasn't sure if he had managed yet.

Fixed1979

Manik said:
Cool stuff, thanks for the OP update FV - Will start adding a few people this evening on Steam and join the group.

I might have just missed it, but is there a link to the manual online yet? I remember Helios saying he'd help out with it, but wasn't sure if he had managed yet.

No public manual yet, Helios was just good enough to share it with the OP's to aid in creating the OT. According to some we should see it by Friday.

gragy10

Any tips for master race headset/mic?
Not bothered about absolute quality (the 360's was always good enough for me) so much as ease of use

Kyaw

kyaw25 - Steam

I'm not sure about GFWL. Is it by hotmail account or something?

gragy10 said:
Any tips for master race headset/mic?
Not bothered about absolute quality (the 360's was always good enough for me) so much as ease of use

I'm planning on using webcam mic with push to talk. It should simulate the most authentic sound for the listeners. ;D

Frawdder said:
Correct. If you can run that then you'd be able to run F1 2011.
2010 runs worse then dirt 3 (for it's own reasons) but having 24 cars on the track vs 1 with particle effects might make 2011 run worse, but I doubt it can run any worse then 2010 does...

Shaneus said:
Are they any good? Might buy if they make a decent difference.
I have a set as well, and I'd definitely recommend them.

I found that while using the standard buttons, downshifting in particular became fatiguing after a while. Both mentally and physically. It's that ergonomic difference between pushing a button, and pulling a paddle. At first blush it seems like there's very little in it, but XX laps into a race the buttons starting becoming a distraction.

BTW, I spent the extra 2 bucks on the adjustable ones. I wanted the paddles far enough back that I could hold the wheel comfortably without my fingers having to permanently hover over the paddles.

Ark

Stop It said:
Wait, where the hell did you get them from? Do really want.

http://granturgismo.com/

They're actually really amazing. I bought a set of the DPS-200's or whatever they're called about a month or two again and I don't know what I'd do without them now. I had no problems just using the buttons on the back of the DFGT before, but these paddles make my life infinitely easier and surprisingly makes any kind of racing/driving with the DFGT far more enjoyable :)

I recommended them to a friend, he bought them too and only has great things to say about them.

I'd recommend them to anyone who's interested in them.

Orgun

Ark said:
http://granturgismo.com/

They're actually really amazing. I bought a set of the DPS-200's or whatever they're called about a month or two again and I don't know what I'd do without them now. I had no problems just using the buttons on the back of the DFGT before, but these paddles make my life infinitely easier and surprisingly makes any kind of racing/driving with the DFGT far more enjoyable :)

I recommended them to a friend, he bought them too and only has great things to say about them.

I'd recommend them to anyone who's interested in them.
Yeah I went with the DPS-200s also, how easy are they to adjust once the things are attached?

Ark

Orgun said:
Yeah I went with the DPS-200s also, how easy are they to adjust once the things are attached?

They're extremely easy to adjust. I found that I didn't really need to adjust mine too much at all, however I decided to adjust the left paddle.

It's as simple and taking a flat head screwdriver and loosening the placement screw, get it to where you want it, and go back to racing :)

toythatkills said:
If it's anything like DiRT3, this is going to be the most irritating feature in the world, as you're constantly punished for some moron driving into the back of you at 160mph around a corner. "It's your fault," says the game, docking you your XP.

This happened a lot in F1 2010, too.

I'll be picking up the 360 version. Won't have time to join a league but should be available for the occasional race.

GT: DownWithTheShip

BTW, does anyone know about the handheld version? Specifically for the 3DS? I see articles about it but nothing specific. Curious if this is still coming out?

Fixed1979

Foliorum Viridum said:
When I get home in an hour or so I'll be up for a final race or two in 2010 if others are :)

That's about 6 hours too early! Not planning on being around over the weekend?

Marco1

I saw this being played using a wheel on Sunday on a show on satellite called Playr.
It looked fantastic and the codemaster guys were playing PC version.

Kyaw

@Ark, i might get those paddles now as shifting via stick will be slower than using paddles for F1 2011. It didn't matter that much in iRacing.

Satisfaction of using the stick will have to take a back-seat this time.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
When I get home in an hour or so I'll be up for a final race or two in 2010 if others are :)
I'll be there!

I will probably end up getting those paddles for the DFGt but I have got used to the buttons now, so they will be just because I like the idea of proper paddles.

Ark

Kyaw said:
@Ark, i might get those paddles now as shifting via stick will be slower than using paddles for F1 2011. It didn't matter that much in iRacing.

Satisfaction of using the stick will have to take a back-seat this time.

What? I can't understand what you're typing, I'm too busy enjoying my broadband internet connection.

MINI-troll-face.pngp

VVV Mars VG

Great OT Lucius!

Looking forward to getting info out there, I just completed my first 20% Monza race, onto career and some longer runs tomorrow.

Trying to get that safety car out, I've been making pile-ups all over the place but those bloody marshals are just too quick. Will get there!

Lots to do, so little time.

Kyaw

Ark said:
What? I can't understand what you're typing, I'm too busy enjoying my broadband internet connection.

areyoufuckingkiddingme.gif

You do know this joke is getting very old?

I don't see a need for those paddles. My fingers never got tired even in our 100% race.

Glad to see a lot of people on Steam! Looking forward to a few races tonight now :)

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't see a need for those paddles. My fingers never got tired even in our 100% race.

Glad to see a lot of people on Steam! Looking forward to a few races tonight now :)
What time you racing? I probably won't get home until after 8.30

Top Bottom