• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Manik

Foliorum Viridum said:
We're racing now, but Stop It and will still be playing then for sure. Probably others :)

Hey FV - Got your invite, but sadly I'm stuck on the 360 version until '11 hits. That's when I make the jump over to the master race.

Just trying some time trials to get used to playing with all assists off. It's coming slowly, but damn it feels rewarding when you finally nail the corner that's been tripping you up all night.

Lucius86

Banned
Manik said:
Hey FV - Got your invite, but sadly I'm stuck on the 360 version until '11 hits. That's when I make the jump over to the master race.

Just trying some time trials to get used to playing with all assists off. It's coming slowly, but damn it feels rewarding when you finally nail the corner that's been tripping you up all night.

That's dedication. I approve.

Manik

Lucius86 said:
That's dedication. I approve.

Dedicated maybe, but looking at last year's times at Melbourne I think it's definitely concreted my place as a back marker, if I even make it that far ;)

Foliorum Viridum said:
Ah I didn't look to see the console icon. Sorry for spamming ye :)

To be honest, it's one more invite than I've had all year from any of my 360 friends that got the game, then never played it, so I don't mind so much! Looking forward to being able to hop onto Steam one evening and get into a race with some friends for a change.

Angst

For the guys with ATI cards - they have released new application profiles that supposedly improves performance for F1 2011: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

Banned site now has it for £17.86 on PC. Price wars!

Also, I just read this on the forums:

Choosing your own fuel load pre-race FAILED to make the final build.
The chance to underfuel the car and then save later on seemed very exciting and AFAIK was set to be in, but they revealed they couldnt get it worked as planned.

Shame. You still need to manage the full levels through the engine settings, but it's less of a strategic element now.

Maybe someone can help me out here?

One reason I was going to get the 360 version is because I had some performance issues with 2010 on my PC. I can race about 5 laps without any problem, but after that the game pauses for about half a second, every 5-10 seconds. It's enough to ruin any race.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Windows 7 64-bit
2.5 quad core
Radeon 4870 1GB

DownWithTheShip said:
Maybe someone can help me out here?

One reason I was going to get the 360 version is because I had some performance issues with 2010 on my PC. I can race about 5 laps without any problem, but after that the game pauses for about half a second, every 5-10 seconds. It's enough to ruin any race.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Windows 7 64-bit
2.5 quad core
Radeon 4870 1GB

Caching of replays? IIRC, there's a way to prevent that by making the replay file right protected or something.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bungieware said:
Banned site now has it for £17.86 on PC. Price wars!
Bugger, I paid for this already. At least the site promises to credit the difference after shipping.
Also, I just read this on the forums:

Shame. You still need to manage the full levels through the engine settings, but it's less of a strategic element now.
Aww, shame. Still, I'm sure running too rich will have major consequences so the strategic element of the game mechanic will still be there.

Orgun

After having used the Granturgismo paddles for an hour of racing last night I can safely say, they're great :)
I might have to use the adjustment screw to move mine a few millimetres further back, I was pushing them into my thumbs. Other than that i'm super happy with the purchase.

When just using the buttons for a long race I would find my hand starting to cramp up a bit or my fingers would get sore - it feels much more relaxed using the paddles to change gears.

Only really started playing F1 2010 on my PC and really like it so gone ahead and pre-ordered 2011 to keep me busy until Forza.
Hope it runs well on my machine.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow I missed the whole 2vs2 co-op bit. That'd be brilliant. I'm kind of hoping that it's not all that great anyway. I bought F1 2010 twice (PC + PS3) and will probably do the same with 2011. I don't want to have to budget for a third copy ;) Is it next week yet?

Angst

I have some questions regarding the online functionality:

When doing an online race, do the rules regarding flags, corner cutting, illegal passing, time penalties etc apply or is it dumbed down online?

Orgun

Angst said:
I have some questions regarding the online functionality:

When doing an online race, do the rules regarding flags, corner cutting, illegal passing, time penalties etc apply or is it dumbed down online?

In 2010 there were options of "Realistic, Reduced, something else, and off" I assume it will be the same or similar for 2011.

So I have a very old Guillemot Ferrari FF GT wheel, that I'm fairly sure I've never even managed to get installed properly on XP before. When I got F1 2010, I gave it another go, but again just couldn't get any drivers to work.

This morning, (nearly a year later), I dug it out and gave it one last try before I binned it. Tried a couple of different drivers, and low and behold, it only bloody works now. And in F1 2010, no less.

Still,t he game runs like shit on my PC, and I'm having to support the thing in my lap as the clamp won't fit on my desk, but it's an improvement!

Angst said:
Nice to hear that it's up to the players. Did you use realistic in the GAF league?
No, because it was badly coded. You so much as tapped someone and you got a drive-through penalty.

We used reduced, which wasn't perfect either, but it wasn't as punishing as realistic.

We'll always have rules on for the league because it makes it more fair, but I hope 2011 handles the incidents better. Last night, for example, in Brazil I slammed on the brakes as Stop It was right behind me on the straight so he'd go into the back of me (told you not all of our races were serious!) and he got the penalty for it. Heh.

Stuff like that needs to change in 2011 please!

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
We'll always have rules on for the league because it makes it more fair, but I hope 2011 handles the incidents better. Last night, for example, in Brazil I slammed on the brakes as Stop It was right behind me on the straight so he'd go into the back of me (told you not all of our races were serious!) and he got the penalty for it. Heh.

Stuff like that needs to change in 2011 please!
Fuck that. Shit like that should be implemented from the game should be implemented IRL.

Angst

Xun said:
Just out of curiosity and because I've never played F1 2010 is there a first person view?
If I remember correctly the views are:

Behind the car, slightly more behind the car, bumper view, cockpit view and slightly behind and above the driver view. I think most uses the behind the driver view as the cockpit view is really low and obstructed.

Shaneus said:
Fuck that. Shit like that should be implemented from the game should be implemented IRL.
What, so if somebody wants to slam the brakes and hit the person behind them the person behind gets penalised?

Well, it would make Vettel lapping backmarkers interesting...

Angst said:

Behind the car, slightly more behind the car, bumper view, cockpit view and slightly behind and above the driver view. I think most uses the behind the driver view as the cockpit view is really low and obstructed.
I personally use t-cam rather than cockpit view. It's how I've always played F1 games. I think Crumbs and Orgun use that view too, but almost everyone else uses cockpit.

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
What, so if somebody wants to slam the brakes and hit the person behind them the person gets penalised?

Sarcasm, bro :)

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
What, so if somebody wants to slam the brakes and hit the person behind them the person behind gets penalised?

I personally use t-cam rather than cockpit view. It's how I've always played F1 games. I think Crumbs and Orgun use that view too, but almost everyone else uses cockpit.

I used Cockpit view for all of the 2010 GAF league but i've taken a liking to T-cam view now in 2010. We'll have to see about using cockpit view in 2011, it's been raised a bit from 2010s.

MoGamesXNA said:
Wow, the Vita F1 2011 trailer is a little underwhelming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2bZaErzBI

Woa.. That really is underwhelming. My god, I hoping for a port of the home console version of F1 2011, not a PSP port of F1 2009 with updated car livery. It really does look poor in some places. Low poly, bad aliasing and a scrappy frame rate. Sad, but it may be a really old version of the work in progress, so I'll happily eat my words if it turns out alright. But like I said, was really hoping for a port of the home version. =(

You guys will laugh, but I use the behind the car view. It's how I started playing racing games when I was younger, because you could see the car. I've never grown out of it. It helps a bit online in F1 2010 because I can see the cars around me a lot better. So it's good for avoiding crashes and for overtaking. Also, you can see exactly where the rear wheels are. And I find it a little easier to spot the braking point because of the raised view of the track ahead. But other than that it holds me back quite a bit, mainly because it's harder to make the apex for pretty much every turn. I really do enjoy the view you get from that angle though. I can still be very competitive and I know I'll never be amazing, so it really is the enjoyment that comes first.

Xun

Angst said:

Ok cool, just making sure.

Any pictures of the bumper view? I've yet to see any.

Bungieware said:
You guys will laugh, but I use the behind the car view. It's how I started playing racing games when I was younger, because you could see the car. I've never grown out of it. It helps a bit online in F1 2010 because I can see the cars around me a lot better. So it's good for avoiding crashes and for overtaking. Also, you can see exactly where the rear wheels are. And I find it a little easier to spot the braking point because of the raised view of the track ahead. But other than that it holds me back quite a bit, mainly because it's harder to make the apex for pretty much every turn. I really do enjoy the view you get from that angle though. I can still be very competitive and I know I'll never be amazing, so it really is the enjoyment that comes first.
I used to be like this until about 2007 or so, since then I've only really used the first person bumper view.

No doubt it looks better however, I just find it slightly disorientating nowadays seeing the back of a car.

Xun said:
No doubt it looks better however, I just find it slightly disorientating nowadays seeing the back of a car.

The visual aspect is really all it is to be honest. I can use the on-board camera view perfect well. Bumper view I can't do. Not being able to see the front wheels scares me.

Shaneus

Controller or wheel, Bungie? I find the controls always feel a little weird with a wheel if I'm using anything other than a hood or bumper view.

Shaneus said:
Controller or wheel, Bungie? I find the controls always feel a little weird with a wheel if I'm using anything other than a hood or bumper view.

Controller. If I was using a wheel then I would swap straight to the t-cam.

Top Bottom