• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

brought to you by

[Genre:] Baby's first RPG

Achievement List

EnSZi.jpg

[The Story]

Premise

Fable III is set approximately 50–60 years after the events of Fable II on the continent of Albion where the Fable series is set. The old monarch, the Hero of Fable II, has died and left the Kingdom of Albion to Logan, a corrupt, tyrannical king. Logan's sibling, the playable "Hero", is forced into a quest to become a revolutionary leader after a major decision early in the game illustrates Logan's cruelty. Your "Hero" is the son or daughter of Fable II's "Hero". If you have a Fable II save, your parent/Fable II "Hero" will be the correct gender. Over the course of the first half of the game, the Hero will gain the people of Albion's support, overthrow Logan and become ruler of Albion. During the second half of the game, the player will have to choose whether or not to follow up on promises made to the public, which were made during gameplay, at the risk of losing Albion's approval. While dealing with this, the player will also be faced with the possibility of war when "Aurora", a neighboring country, begins to threaten Albion.

- Wikipedia

Characters & Voice Cast

Zoë Wanamaker as Theresa
Stephen Fry as Reaver
John Cleese as Jasper
Michael Fassbender as Logan, King of Albion
Sir Ben Kingsley as Sabine, King of Mist Peak
Simon Pegg as Ben Finn
Jonathan Ross as Barry Hatch
Nicholas Hoult as Elliot
Naomie Harris as Page
Bernard Hill as Sir Walter Beck

Fable III Contains 47.5 hours of recorded dialogue

IGN:The Cast of Fable III

OST composed by Russel Shaw (Fable, Fable II)

n1tLt.jpg

[What's New]

Accessibility
Lionhead has focused on creative a more accessible, streamlined experience this time around. Most traditional RPG mechanics have been removed, and there is no menu screen anymore. To change your equipment, you will need to find a dressing room, which will function similar to GTA IV. To buy inventory from the shop, you'll need to find that item on a shelf. Magic is now cast by gauntlets kept in the Sanctuary instead of changing them through the HUD. Pausing the game instantly warps to to a special chamber where you can adjust your set up. Lionhead has always intended for Fable to be an accessible experience, baby's first RPG, but they'll be taking it to the next level with Fable III. Also, most major gameplay moments will be solved by holding a button. In Fable II, character customization was too complicated and there were too many outfit options so in Fable III Lionhead has limited the amount of clothing and restricted a good portion of the dyes (including black) to paid DLC since it makes it easier for casuals to...something.

Playing as King
Town building will be much for than investing and simple customization in Fable III. Once you begin your reign over Albion, you will deal with society on a day to day basic, handling crime, poverty and taxation. Excessive taxation will lead to your region to become poor and dysfunctional, but it might increase your personal wealth. Playing as a selfless ruler will require a financial sacrifice on your part. You will have the ability to punish citizens who don't pay their taxes by incarceration or execution. For every action, there is a consequence. Abolish child labor, and some of your citizens may go hungry as a result. You will have to hold and release the A button to be good, and hold and release the X button to be bad.

The Road to Rule
Your combat preference will no longer dictate your skills. With the road to rule, you will unlock gates and have access to chests that unlock skills from leveling up combat skills to unlocking expressions or the ability to buy real estate. As your progress towards the revolution, more gates with new chests will open up. You can also increase the amount of gold you make in jobs like Pie Making.

Improved Co-op
Fable II's co-op was limited to a single camera for both players, and the joining player was restricted to playing a generic henchman. Fable III's co-op players will be able to keep their own character, equipment and doggy companion. Co-op players will also be able to interact with expressions, marry each other, and conceive/adopt children. Taking the place of Fable II's dolls with be Legendary Weapons, which can be traded between players.

Expression & Touch
In Fable II, you had the expression wheel. Many complained that it was too simplistic, you could fart 40 times to get someone to love you. In Fable III, the conversation wheel has been removed and you only have 2-3 options. There is a kind option, and evil option and sometimes a third option. The options are random from what you have unlocked on the road to rule and sometimes you'll have to repeat the same expression a few times to get on an NPC's good side.
Also, by holding LT you can hold hands with an NPC instead of getting on their good side and initiating the follow command.

Morphing Weapons
There will only be categories of weapons instead of the various types found in the previous Fable games: Rifle, Pistol, Hammer and Sword. The weapon will grow stronger as you level up, and your morality and use of the weapon will change in appearance depending on your alignment and certain enemies that you have killed. Your Gamerscore will have an effect on the weapon as well. Weapon types will also have an effect on your character's build, frequent use of the Hammer will lead to a big, muscled character and frequent use of guns will lead to a tall, thin character.
Lionhead's goal is for every player to have their own unique weapon.

we5xa.jpg

[Returning Features]

Canine Companion
Your loyal pup will be back. There are some pre-order bonuses and hidden potions that will allow you to change your dog's breed, but he will not play as significant of a role as he did in Fable II.

Jobs
Jobs will be back, and will retain the QTE gameplay of Fable II. Money is quicker to build this time around, and the QTE's require quick button presses.

One Button Combat
The combat system of previous Fable games will return, with one button representing each style of combat: melee, ranged and magic. The only notable upgrade is in the magic skill, players will now be able to combine spells, like Fireball and Vortex, to create a flaming tornado of death. There will be no health bar in Fable 3, the screen will turn black and white when your health is critical, if you don't have health potions and pies to heal and you fail, you will carry scars to remind you of your failures. Melee combat no longer allows the player to move from enemy from enemy, the momentum of Fable II has been removed in favor of

fT0DH.jpg

[Media & Interviews]

Interviews

Ausgamer: Louise Murray, the head of the Fable franchise at Lionhead Studios
CVG: Lionhead design chief Josh Atkins
Gamepro: X10 Interview with Peter Molyneux
Bit-Tech: Peter Molneux on Fable and Emotion in games
Gamescon 2010: Peter Molyneux interview
MCV: Molyneux "I've never made a great game"

Youtube

Intro Cinematic
February 2010 Gameplay Footage (focuses on combat)
E3 Trailer
Combat in the Snow
Love and Life in Albion
Housing Trailer
Revolution Ad (contains awesome music)

IGN

Launch Trailer
Character Interactions
Leveling

G4

Fable III Special: The Art Of
Fable III Special: The Living World of Albion

Fable III Special: The Road to Rule
Fable III Special: Promises, Promises
Fable III Special: Combat

Fable III Special: The Story Of

GiantBomb Quick Look

LRWH7.jpg

[Opinions]

Gameinformer - 9/10
Lionhead’s efforts to replace abstract gaming concepts with more literal interpretations is interesting, but the overall effect is one of getting a flashy paint job instead of an arguably unnecessary overhaul.

Gametrailers - 8.9/10

IGN- 8.5/10
Fable III feels like the game that Fable II should have been. It has a lot in common with its predecessor, though now it exists in a much more streamlined, accessible, and enjoyable format. But simply calling it a more refined version of its predecessor would be a disservice, because Fable III offers several innovative improvements, some excellent and emotional moments, and whole lot of fun...even if it is a bit buggy and rather disjointed.

1up - B+
Of the trilogy, Fable 2 still proudly stands as the apex -- a magnanimous leap over its predecessor and as one of the best games on Xbox 360. Fable 3 almost eclipses it, but it stumbles along the way, and alternates between, "it's Fable 2, but better" and, "it's not as good as Fable 2." Nonetheless, Fable 3 is even simpler than its predecessor while remaining utterly and distinctly charming when compared to the rest of the 360's library -- it just isn't quite as magical as Fable 2.

Gamepro - 4/5
This is why Fable III comes off as the worse game when held up to Fable II's core ideals: Role-playing is all about making choices, right? You can choose a "good" interaction like hugging someone or a "bad" interaction like farting in their face, and the idea is that you as the player are exercising personal expression through your character. But though Fable III lets you make the choices, it never lets you off the leash -- you will become king or queen, the bad thing that's supposed to happen will happen, and no matter how much of a paragon or renegade you are, you cannot choose to do something other than make or spend money.

Eurogamer - 8/10
It may be messy and clunky from time to time along the way, but Fable III is only guilty of indulging its designers' whim at the expense of necessary polish, and in the royal scheme of things it's a crime you're happy to pardon. Many more RPGs will follow between now and whatever Lionhead does next with the series, but few if any will possess half as much heart, and most importantly, whatever else they have to offer, none will have Albion.

Giant Bomb - 3/5
Fable III does a great job reprising the elements you expect from the Fable series. The colorful, sprawling lands to explore, the great flexibility in how you develop your character and make your way through the world, the wonderfully dry sense of humor, and the cockeyed view of fantasy tradition are all here and accounted for. It's just the rough trimming around the edges, the ways that those grand elements could have been better realized and better conveyed to the player, that make this as frustrating a game as it is lovable.

Destructoid - 5.5/10
Fable III isn't a bad game; it's just very disappointing. Lacking the sense of adventure of the previous games and making the most simple of elements more awkward and overdrawn, it feels like a step back for the franchise. It's a shame, because its narrative goals are truly outstanding and there's still a lot of simplistic role-playing fun to be had. These positives are outweighed, however, by a downsized sense of scale, cumbersome attempts at innovation, and a total neglect when it comes to fixing some important problems.

NeoGAF
Worst. Fable. Ever.

Fable III in one video

Amir0x

Banned
Fable II was already sliding too much to the casual tard RPG side of the scale for my tastes - the form of communication they invented for the game was atrocious and I had hoped maybe they'd go back in the other direction.

This sounds really bad the way they set it up now, but morbid curiosity killed the cat :/

steadfast

Snuggler said:
With the villager maker, available using your browser at Xbox.com, you can designed unique NPC's that will be seen as you play through Fable 3's story. You can share your villagers on Facebook and Twiiter, but really, no one gives a shit about your villagers.

This is my first real attempt at an OP. I apologize for the lack of pretty pictures and logos, but I'm not a photoshop guy. I'd rather inform than advertise, so hopefully I managed that.
Help with a banner would be greatly appreciated.

Love it!

I'm scared the second half of the game will simple me a micro managing sorta thing... which isn't very pleasing to me. I hope I'm wrong though.

Will probably rent it like I did Fable 2, but playing through the free version right now (thx MS) and I'm enjoying it again, I haven't played it since launch so going back through it now is practically like I'm playing a new game (as in, I can't remember what all to do or what happens).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wiggum2007 said:
Did I just read that a new feature in this game is masturbation?

Yep. Don't get off, and you'll be hindered in combat. It would have been perfect with Kinect support.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
"Accessibility
Lionhead has focused on creative a more accessible, streamlined experience this time around. Most traditional RPG mechanics have been removed, and there is no traditional menu screen this time around. To change your equipment, you will need to find a dressing room. To buy inventory from the shop, you'll need to find that item on a shelf. Magic is now cast by gauntlets kept in the Sanctuary instead of changing them through the HUD. Lionhead has always intended for Fable to be an accessible experience, baby's first RPG, but they intend to take it to the next level with Fable III. "

How the fuck could you dumb it down more from II?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just hope they fixed the laggy menus.

Wow, no menus eh? Well, I hope I don't have to dig through some obtuse interface just to drunk a potion. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
shintoki said:
"Accessibility
Lionhead has focused on creative a more accessible, streamlined experience this time around. Most traditional RPG mechanics have been removed, and there is no traditional menu screen this time around. To change your equipment, you will need to find a dressing room. To buy inventory from the shop, you'll need to find that item on a shelf. Magic is now cast by gauntlets kept in the Sanctuary instead of changing them through the HUD. Lionhead has always intended for Fable to be an accessible experience, baby's first RPG, but they intend to take it to the next level with Fable III. "

that's what i said

i think Fable III might finally be crossing the threshold to where I can't tolerate it, but I've gone this far... might as well give it a shot >_<

scotcheggz

Simon pegg :lol Amazing!

Kind of hyped for this, always enjoyed the first two, but it's weird how it's so low key. I don't really get that, molyneux is usually pretty vocal at least, maybe I've just not been paying proper attention.

Zeal said:

They had like 5 copies sitting in the front display.
I doubt the system would let me purchase it, though.
The registers hardlock certain items.
Thought it was weird that it was out already, but I wasn't sure of the release date.

Snuggler said:
Yep. Don't get off, and you'll be hindered in combat. It would have been perfect with Kinect support.
Is there a masturbation sock item or do you have to use a random condom you have your dog dig up?

S1kkZ

shintoki said:
"Accessibility

thats not dumbed down. they just replaced the menu system. ign has videos of this, the level up menu is now a path you can walk on. on each path (level) there treasure boxes, each box contains one new ability (shock magic, melee level 2 and so on).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"Lionhead has always intended for Fable to be an accessible experience, baby's first RPG, but they intend to take it to the next level with Fable III. "

Bullllllsheeeeeit. It was originally supposed to be the end all RPG that did everything. It was only after the resulting product more closely resembled a Fisher Price electronic toy that Molyneux decided to try to rewrite history and claim it as his goal all along.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Speaking of the pre-order bonuses, how do you actually use the code given to you in order to have your villager be in Fable III?

shintoki said:
"Accessibility

Ok, now this makes me sad. :(

So if we want to try a new weapon out in combat or switch clothes on the go, we have to find a place to change them? Or is the menu now, a changing room that you select your stuff from but you can do it on the fly (like a menu system). I am so confused right now.

Hixx

I so hope this thread remains clean of the usual Fable/Molyneux hate/mockery but I doubt it.

Loved Fable I, enjoyed Fable II... I think promoting this as more of an Action/Adventure game is the right thing to do. I didn't enjoy Fable II because of its gameplay (it WAS too simple to really get into), I enjoyed it because I loved going through its world. From interviews with Molyneux I think he gets it, which is why its probably my most anticipated game between now and Cataclysm.

And yeah, casting of the forever or what!?!

Monocle

Tell me more about this masturbation mechanic. Can I have a friend lend me a hand over Xbox Live?

Definitely buying this game—not for impure reasons, mind you—I just don't know when.

DeadGzuz

Banned
shintoki said:

Good question, two was basically pushing one button over and over for fighting and then watching loading screen ever few minutes.

Wiggum2007

DeadGzuz said:
Good question, two was basically pushing one button over and over for fighting and then watching loading screen ever few minutes.

Now you only have to push the one button once.

louis89

CrazedArabMan said:

So if we want to try a new weapon out in combat or switch clothes on the go, we have to find a place to change them? Or is the menu now, a changing room that you select your stuff from but you can do it on the fly (like a menu system). I am so confused right now.
You press start and it takes you to a chamber with chambers leading off of it, for inventory, clothing, etc. You run in and change what you want. It's designed to be as fast as a menu.

louis89 said:
You press start and it takes you to a chamber with chambers leading off of it, for inventory, clothing, etc. You run in and change what you want. It's designed to be as fast as a menu.

Ok, got scared there for a second, probably should have searched for a video in the OP or something, but I was too lazy and figured GAF would have the answer, so thanks.

Monocle said:
Tell me more about this masturbation mechanic. Can I have a friend lend me a hand over Xbox Live?

Definitely buying this game—not for impure reasons, mind you—I just don't know when.
Yes and you receive "The Stranger" achievement.

S1kkZ

CrazedArabMan said:

you press a button and you can access everything on the fly. when you press the menu button, you are teleported into a special room ,where all your weapons, cloths and the rest of your inventory are. they also replaced the map system (much better now).

watership

Fable 2 wasn't hard, but it wasn't just a mashy affair. There was timing involved especially for the sword attacks and combos.

Stephen Fry flirting with my character = day one purchase

Normally I'm against the simplification of games, especially RPGs. However I found Fable 2 to be so much better than the first despite it's apparent gutting that I can't say I'm dismayed by it here.

I'm still really interested to see how the kind role will can out, given the apparent simplifications I can't see how it will go into micromanagement (which I'd love...). Only real concern I have is with how the leveling will play out.

LQX

Cant wait. Kind of sucks though that you wont be able to make money while the game is off like the previous one. That was one of the best features of the first one. It was great feeling turning on the game after a few days and seeing that your property collected thousands in rent.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LQX said:
Cant wait. Kind of sucks though that you wont be able to make money while the game is off like the previous one. That was one of the best features of the first one. It was great feeling turning on the game after a few days and seeing that your property collected thousands in rent.
noooooooooooooo fuck i loved my investment money-making income.

How do we make money now? Can we still rent places out and collect income?

S1kkZ

~Kinggi~ said:
noooooooooooooo fuck i loved my investment money-making income.

How do we make money now? Can we still rent places out and collect income?
i think you have to make choices. you want more money? let the little kids work overtime in the factory or raise the taxes!

Zeal

Banned
AceBandage said:
They had like 5 copies sitting in the front display.
I doubt the system would let me purchase it, though.
The registers hardlock certain items.
Thought it was weird that it was out already, but I wasn't sure of the release date.

called Target, asked if they had fable 3 in stock, dude said "yeah" in a very redneck/autistic voice. asked him to hold me a copy cause i couldn't believe it. got in the car and drove to target. went back to electronics and talked to the same guy, asked for my copy he was holding...

dude handed me fallout 3. walked out in disgust.

Zeal said:
called Target, asked if they had fable 3 in stock, dude said "yeah" in a very redneck/autistic voice. asked him to hold me a copy cause i couldn't believe it. got in the car and drove to target. went back to electronics and talked to the same guy, asked for my copy he was holding...

dude handed me fallout 3. walked out in disgust.

You didn't pull him over the counter in a headlock and say "Where's my Fable! Bitch!"

"When you gotta go, you gotta go
To keep sharp in combat, you'll have to eat, sleep and masturbate as well as making sure to use the toilet so that you're not hindered in combat or shit your pants, and lose the respect of your citizens."

I, uh, okay....

OT said:
When you gotta go, you gotta go
To keep sharp in combat, you'll have to eat, sleep and masturbate as well as making sure to use the toilet so that you're not hindered in combat or shit your pants, and lose the respect of your citizens.
Say what now? :lol :lol

Jive Turkey said:
Reaver is still alive? I mean so is Theresa but isn't she supposed to be immortal or something?

2 kinda went over Reaver's immortality, as in the quest you go on for him directly addresses it. People sacrifice their youth to old gods for a trinket that will stop him aging, or something along those lines...

Top Bottom