• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Put about 9 hours into Fable III over the past few days... not sure why people hate it so much, I'm finding it quite good.

Not only are the visuals nice and detailed, but the writing and voice acting are some of the best in the industry; it's an incredibly funny game as well.

compared to what was advertised... it was a huge letdown.

i still remember the frame rate issues and the crappy nav making my days much longer than they needed to be

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yup, hyperbole. I admit it's a little dissapointing in a few areas, mostly technically and some of the design decisions, but it's still one of my favourite series on the X360. I only wish Fable 2 would come to the PC as well, since it's already got Fable 1 and 3. I want to keep a full collection on PC, but I can't because of that.

Doesn't help that Fable 2 is probably the best in the series either. Although I still haven't played through Fable 1 The Lost Chapters, which I see has finally arrived on Steam so I will be picking that up in a sale.

DY_nasty

I don't think its hyperbole at all.

You're only 9 hours in, so I won't spoil anything but they game was full of a shit ton of flaws when it released for console.

The ending leaves such a sour taste in peoples mouths. It's actually kinda impressive they managed to outdo Fable II as far as bad endings go.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hyperbole. Not as good as Fable 2 maybe, but not a bad game by any means. Some people even love it.

I'm curious as to why you believe your more positive opinion on the game holds more weight than that of those who legitimately despised it.

Ledsen

The ending leaves such a sour taste in peoples mouths. It's actually kinda impressive they managed to outdo Fable II as far as bad endings go.

Quite a few people seem to hate the game mainly because of the ending bit, but it's easy to avoid by reading a FAQ or asking people beforehand.

I'm curious as to why you believe your more positive opinion on the game holds more weight than that of those who legitimately despised it.

Many people were soured by the ending, and because of that the whole game was cast in a worse light than it deserved in hindsight. The disappointment of realizing the game was not really an improvement over Fable 2 also causes people to exaggerate its flaws. This is what I believe.

Quite a few people seem to hate the game mainly because of the ending bit, but it's easy to avoid by reading a FAQ or asking people beforehand.

Many people were soured by the ending, and because of that the whole game was cast in a worse light than it deserved in hindsight. The disappointment of realizing the game was not really an improvement over Fable 2 also causes people to exaggerate its flaws. This is what I believe.

I don't think it's exaggeration as much as it's just the parts of the game that are worse than Fable II are pretty noticeably worse.

And knowing about the ending beforehand doesn't make it a less retarded thing to be in the game.

What's wrong with the ending?

Just make sure you have tons of money before you get anywhere near the end.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Many people were soured by the ending, and because of that the whole game was cast in a worse light than it deserved in hindsight. This is what I believe.

Okay, but there is a whole lot of game between the beginning and the end. :p

Perhaps because everyone values their own opinion over anyone else's. I'm not sure, though, do you think that might be it?

You're awfully condescending for somebody who incorrectly assumes that everybody considers their own opinions to be of higher standing than those of others. The fact that I consider Fable 3 to be a great disappointment is no secret, but I make no pretensions that this belief is any more valid than somebody who loved the game for the very same reasons I despised it.

Put about 9 hours into Fable III over the past few days... not sure why people hate it so much, I'm finding it quite good.

Not only are the visuals nice and detailed, but the writing and voice acting are some of the best in the industry; it's an incredibly funny game as well.

Well, you only have to read some of the posts earlier this thread to understand why people hate it. I think I have written why at least three times myself. If you like it, fine, be glad about that. But don´t dismiss opinions you haven´t actually read.

I can summarize my opinions like this: I have always been a fan of Peter Molyneux, defended him in the discussions regarding Fable 1 and Fable 2, but this game made me loose all hope about Lionhead (not really Molyneux since as I understand it he wasn´t that involved in this). It´s a juvenile and stupid game that in no way improves anything from the first 2 games.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
No, I still think it's hyperbole. Because everything is exaggerated x1000 on the internet. "LOL IT'S THE CRAPPIEST GAME EVER!" "THIS GAME GAVE ME CANCER!" etc.

There's no room for a more moderate approach on internet forums, everything is done to the extreme. No Fable 3 is not the worst game ever, and no, it's not the buggiest either. There are enough good things about the game to make it worth playing through. I'd much rather play a fun, buggy game than a boring but technical marvel. And, for me, Fable 3 was fun. Not perfect, and I want the future games to improve and become deeper and less "streamlined", but I will probably buy it anyway because there are enough to love with the games.

You're awfully condescending for somebody who incorrectly assumes that everybody considers their own opinions to be of higher standing than those of others.

You're probably right, even though if you really enjoyed something, nobody should be able to convince you that it's actually shit. Sorry for the tone, I had a really bad day.

Because everything is exaggerated x1000 on the internet. "LOL IT'S THE CRAPPIEST GAME EVER!" "THIS GAME GAVE ME CANCER!" etc.

That's also true.

DY_nasty

No, I still think it's hyperbole. Because everything is exaggerated x1000 on the internet. "LOL IT'S THE CRAPPIEST GAME EVER!" "THIS GAME GAVE ME CANCER!" etc.

There's no room for a more moderate approach on internet forums, everything is done to the extreme. No Fable 3 is not the worst game ever, and no, it's not the buggiest either. There are enough good things about the game to make it worth playing through. I'd much rather play a fun, buggy game than a boring but technical marvel. And, for me, Fable 3 was fun. Not perfect, and I want the future games to improve and become deeper and less "streamlined", but I will probably buy it anyway because there are enough to love with the games.

Okay. Cool.

But by all means read through the numerous other opinions made in this thread that were legit considering what was hyped and promised at release. It was supposed to be the best Fable game to date, and it wasn't. I'm sure the big kids can separate the hyperbole from the genuine complaints - they are still there though, and they very much valid.

I can assure you that at least my views of this game is not based on some kind of hyperbole. I know exactly why I think this game is such a mess. I will continue and advice people not to buy this game, because there are so many better games to spend your time on.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Okay. Cool.

But by all means read through the numerous other opinions made in this thread that were legit considering what was hyped and promised at release. It was supposed to be the best Fable game to date, and it wasn't. I'm sure the big kids can separate the hyperbole from the genuine complaints - they are still there though, and they very much valid.

I've read the complaints since day 1, and many of them are valid, but for me they don't often hold enough weight to warrant being tossed with E.T.

The whole King/Queen mechanic suffers from ludonarrative dissonance in a way that I never thought a game designer would be ok with. It's crazy dumb. That said, the moment to moment interaction with the world made me feel like I was in a goofy, fairytale world. So for the most part, I liked fable 3.

DY_nasty

I've read the complaints since day 1, and many of them are valid, but for me they don't often hold enough weight to warrant being tossed with E.T.

Fair enough.

But I still think that being tossed in as the biggest disappointment of the year is fair.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, I guess I could say I've never ever had a "disappointment of the year" experience with any game, probably because I don't have crazy high expectations for everything that comes out. Especially after experiencing Fable 1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, I've been dissapointed by games a fair amount of times, but never enough to want to spit on it and throw it out the window, like Fable 3 seems to have done for some people.

DY_nasty

Well, I guess I could say I've never ever had a "disappointment of the year" experience with any game, probably because I don't have crazy high expectations for everything that comes out. Especially after experiencing Fable 1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, I've been dissapointed by games a fair amount of times, but never enough to want to spit on it and throw it out the window, like Fable 3 seems to have done for some people.

If you want to see completely over the top reactions, check a FF13 thread.

Fable 3 is a much worse product (I say product because if I say game, the FF13 legion of hate will come and talk about hallways again), but even with all of the bad reactions it causes, its much, much less than that of FF13.

That being said, NeoGAF usually does a biggest turd of the year thread and I'm pretty sure Fable 3 won it for Xbox 360.

moop1167

I would love to play this game but the mouse control is so horrid that I can't even start. I don't want to use a 360 controller on my pc. vsync on or off, the mouse is just floaty and awkward.

RPGCrazied

Been playing this on my PC, even with my rig, I get some fps problems. Mostly in the bigger towns. Though I have all the options on very high and at 1920x1080.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Been playing this on my PC, even with my rig, I get some fps problems. Mostly in the bigger towns. Though I have all the options on very high and at 1920x1080.

It's just a shit port, even with everything set to minimum detail it runs like ass.

RPGCrazied

Oh. Another thing. Do none of the quests have any weapon or armor rewards? I'm still rocking the prince outfit, cause I don't like the mercenary one that much, or the fur coat with the bandana hat.

Oh. Another thing. Do none of the quests have any weapon or armor rewards? I'm still rocking the prince outfit, cause I don't like the mercenary one that much, or the fur coat with the bandana hat.

I don't think there are any armor rewards, but it's been a while since I've played the game. The choice of armor/clothing in the game is skimpy. You can customize them though through the wide assorment of dyes
available by DLC. Having to buy black dye as DLC is one of the biggest "fuck yous" from a game designer ever. Hopefully no one ever bought that shit.

Some sidequests do give you weapon rewards. Could be a good weapon, could be a crappy weapon though. No telling. Hated the weapon system in the game. You only have access to a certain number of available weapons in your game world, and you have to seek out other people to trade with to get weapons you don't have access to.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The biggest problems with the Fable games for me is the lack of reward or loot factor. "OMG a 5 key chest lemme get to it!!!" [open chest] Hey look a bottle of wine.......

Finished the game, about 26 hours; did a lot of collecting and weapon upgrading.

The game looks and sounds fantastic. Great writing and voice acting really set it apart from a lot of other action/adventure/RPG games, it's also incredibly funny and I appreciated the humour a lot.

The ending was really abrupt and I wasn't expecting it to just start happening, it's better than Fable II's, though. Lionhead really need to work on this in future Fable games.

I also thought the online combat was really fun too, especially when you jump into a randoms game and help them out with partnerships and whatnot.

The tail-end of the game was disappointing, but not as BAD as I had been lead to believe. The monarch section of the game should've been fleshed out more; a huge missed opportunity. Not a perfect game, not a great game, but a solid and enjoyable one that is easy to drop in and out of.

Guess I'll be getting the DLC!

I really hope they offer some depth to the next game though.

talan619

Neo Member
A new game studio open

Another Place Productions

'Another Place' is a new games company from the creators of the multi-award-winning Fable franchise. Our goal is to create high-quality, meaningful experiences that will inspire audiences worldwide.

Meet the team:

Dene and Simon Carter, Creative Director and Technical Director
Industry veterans, their combined half-century of experience has covered everything from 8-bit classics, Rockman and Druid, through to the award-winning Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper. Founders of Big Blue Box Studios, they created Fable and were promptly acquired by Lionhead and Microsoft, where they led the franchise to sales of over 12 million units and multiple awards. Dene's latest solo project, Incoboto, is now available on the App Store. More details here.

John McCormack, Art Director
Previously Art Director of the Fable franchise, this Scotsman cut his teeth as an artist and animator on the Warhammer and Theme Park franchises before spending over a decade leading a team developing a world of hobbes, chickens and trolls.

Guillaume Portes, Technical Director
Former Technical Director at Lionhead Studios, Guillaume started his career at prolific indie developer Small Rockets, before moving on to Lionhead during the development of Fable 1. After leading the programming team through Fable 3 he became the Technical Director of the franchise.

Jeremie Texier, Production Director
Previously Executive Producer at Lionhead Studios, over the last decade Jeremie has managed coders, artists, designers and external partners on The Movies and the Fable franchise. Following the release of Fable 3, Jeremie was handed the reins of the Fable studio at Lionhead.

Stay tuned for more exciting news in the coming months, and please do not hesitate to contact us - we would love to hear from you!

WTF...

At least 4 core members left Lionhead at same time?

So after Fable 3 came out, two of those guys were promoted and pretty much put in charge of the "Fable franchise", then left within a year?

Guess they didn't like making "not on rails" rail shooters...

Top Bottom