• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Blueblur1

7echnicolor said:
You've really had the worst of luck with this game huh? :/

Btw, have you been playing the game from the disc? Or did you install it to your hard drive? I installed mine to my hard drive and I've barely had any problems or glitches.
I've only played it installed to the HDD. And yeah, it's been Hell. I've experienced just about every glitch out there. And even after the patch I encountered glitches I hadn't before (like losing the D-pad shortcuts in the Sanctuary). Also, the fact that a ton of the DLC they've released is just junk that should be part of the retail really pisses me off. I'll never buy another Lionhead game ever again.

Does the patch fix saved game glitches or do I have to begin a new game. Havnt touched the game since release day because of the sanctuary glitch and decided to wait for a patch.

Monocle said:
Really guys, I've played up to Bowerstone Industrial and this game isn't nearly as bad as most of you have been saying. The voice acting is top quality, the gameplay is loads of fun (I'm not terribly concerned by the lack of difficulty; it's entertaining just to mow things down with sweet spells), the environments are huge and varied, the quests range from pleasantly diverting to outright amazing (holy shit at the tabletop game), and the character customization is everything I wanted.

The one and only complaint I have so far is that there's no way to repair all my houses at once. The sparkly quest trail thing goes wonky every now and again, but it corrects itself every time I interact with my dog.

I'm with you, man. No issues with the game at all, aside from the blurriness (and framerate occasionally). It's good times.

Danj

So I borrowed this game recently off a friend who's finished it, and I've been playing it a bunch... got a shitload of property and money, and I'm just wondering - where are all the noblewomen at? There are plenty of female beggars, commoners and middleclass people but so far I've only found one noblewoman in the entire game. I googled it a bit but didn't find anything terribly helpful, and Gamefaqs doesn't cover this particular subject.

Danj said:
So I borrowed this game recently off a friend who's finished it, and I've been playing it a bunch... got a shitload of property and money, and I'm just wondering - where are all the noblewomen at? There are plenty of female beggars, commoners and middleclass people but so far I've only found one noblewoman in the entire game. I googled it a bit but didn't find anything terribly helpful, and Gamefaqs doesn't cover this particular subject.

The location with Reaver's house(Millwoods?) have some, it may depend on your decisions in the game(I haven't seen any whores in my game, for example)

Danj

Another question - is there a way to stop the Xbox "timing out"? I get rent money every 4 minutes while the game is running so I've worked out I need to leave it on for like 4 hours to have enough to do the endgame stuff, but of course the thing "times out" after like 30 minutes or whatever so I have to remember to nudge the controller every so often. Is there any way to set it up so I don't have to do this?

Monocle said:
Really guys, I've played up to Bowerstone Industrial and this game isn't nearly as bad as most of you have been saying. The voice acting is top quality, the gameplay is loads of fun (I'm not terribly concerned by the lack of difficulty; it's entertaining just to mow things down with sweet spells), the environments are huge and varied, the quests range from pleasantly diverting to outright amazing (holy shit at the tabletop game), and the character customization is everything I wanted.

The one and only complaint I have so far is that there's no way to repair all my houses at once. The sparkly quest trail thing goes wonky every now and again, but it corrects itself every time I interact with my dog.

I guess it depends on what expectations you have on the game. If you just play the game for the story, and don´t mind the lack of any kind of challenge, then it´s ok. But there are so many logical flaws in it when you stop and think about it, that it goes beyond being a joke.

Danj said:
Another question - is there a way to stop the Xbox "timing out"? I get rent money every 4 minutes while the game is running so I've worked out I need to leave it on for like 4 hours to have enough to do the endgame stuff, but of course the thing "times out" after like 30 minutes or whatever so I have to remember to nudge the controller every so often. Is there any way to set it up so I don't have to do this?

Wired controller or use play and charge kit.

:)

Danj

Finally figured out you actually need to own a house (rather than renting) to be able to have sex with people. Now I just need to find someone to have sex with! I did find a whore earlier but I took a wrong turn somewhere while taking her to my house in Millfields and she got killed :(

Danj said:
Finally figured out you actually need to own a house (rather than renting) to be able to have sex with people. Now I just need to find someone to have sex with! I did find a whore earlier but I took a wrong turn somewhere while taking her to my house in Millfields and she got killed :(

You can sex it up in strangers beds, and certainly in inns/taverns. You just hold their hand and bring them to a bed. Think Fable III has a lot less slutty people who are willing to do this with you though.

Also, pics of the DLC dogs/hat:
http://lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2010/12/16/new-dog-breeds-out-now.aspx
1321.XmasHat_5F00_Screen_5F00_logo.jpg_2D00_700x0.jpg

3377.Doberman_5F00_Screen_5F00_logo.jpg_2D00_700x0.jpg

7838.Alsatian_5F00_Screen_5F00_logo.jpg_2D00_700x0.jpg

7506.Poodle_5F00_Screen_5F00_logo.jpg_2D00_700x0.jpg

thechristoph said:
I'm with you, man. No issues with the game at all, aside from the blurriness (and framerate occasionally). It's good times.

I know I am a very small minority here, but I think Fable III is better than Fable II. (I never played the first one.) The quests are wayyyy more entertaining, and some are very memorable. The soundtrack is really just fantastic. Voice acting is unrivaled It's longer. The story, while still not that good, was way better than Fable II's. The only areas where it does feel like Fable III took a step back are the following: the lack of an expression wheel and the glitchiness, namely.

Ricker

The game is awesome,loved it...but i`m missing one Gnome,the map says it`s in Bowerstone Industrial(4/5,is that right?) but I looked everywhere and I can`t seem to find it...looking at walkthroughs I think it might be the one in the cesspool they say,where you had the quest to rescue some guy`s girl...I did that quest but how can I get back in there now? ...this is driving me nuts,that and i`m missing one damn flower for one of the dye quest in Aurora,that`s also driving me nuts hehe :D

So it's 39.99 this weekend at Gamestop, is that worth it? I enjoyed Fable II when I played it (never finished) about two years ago. For someone on the fence how would you sell this game to me?

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So it's 39.99 this weekend at Gamestop, is that worth it? I enjoyed Fable II when I played it (never finished) about two years ago. For someone on the fence how would you sell this game to me?

Wait until it's $20. I'm being serious here, Lionhead really ruined this game- techincal issues and gameplay.

Mastperf

Neuromancer said:
:lol Haha wow

I think if there is another Fable game, they really need to open it up like Oblivion. Let you do literally whatever you want and not have the entire game world be shut off to you until you go through the main story progression. I think then being evil, or having a family, or any other number of things you can already do would become more interesting.
Lionhead couldn't come close to pulling that off. They can't make a massively linear game (Fable 2) with 4 years of development free of major bugs so there's just no way they could do it. There's a reason so few developers try open-world RPG's. I can say with complete confidence that Lionhead has nowhere near enough talent to pull of something like an Elder Scrolls game.

I'll touch another Fable game as long as they fire the writers who destroyed the once great storyline. I'm sure they can get their jobs back at Starbucks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

The cheaper, the better. I mean, I'm one of the biggest detractors around here so keep that in mind, but you just bought all those classic RPGs on GOG so playing Fable III along with them with only make it look worse.

Aaron

Go back and finish Fable II. It's not that long, and it's a far better game.

Choc

Banned
This is quite frankly one of if not hte worst games i played in 2010.

Started out well but went downhill from there. The king stuff is so underdone its not funny and that ending urgh

especially when you think oh i have a long time left, uh nope!

smacks of the game being rushed

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
So I've finally started my fable 3 game. I hated fable 1 but quite enjoyed Fable 2. So far I can already tell how they are dumbing down Fable 3 and it wasn't really complicated to begin with... Should be interesting to see how things go.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I beat it. It was enjoyable in the same way farting is enjoyable, but I just could not believe some of the design decisions. Also, temporal AA has GOT TO GO.

Blueblur1

As far as I can tell, people that enjoy this game over the second don't really pay attention to the minutia of the game mechanics. And that's where this game falls flat on it's face.

At a glance Fable 3 is virtually the same game and, as far as I can tell, the only aspects of it that can be viewed as pluses are it's improved character movement (it no longer feels like you're running on ice) and the voice overs. And for some people, that's probably enough.

Amir0x

Banned
God every last aspect of this game has been designed to piss me off. It's so dramatically inferior to even Fable II which was already stretching my limits that it's shocking.

The whole friend/fetch quest system is infuriatingly retarded. Not a single aspect of that is enjoyable. The communication system? Fucked. You know what, ditch that shit Peter. It's abysmal. It's not fun to fart in someone's face. Let me actually speak WORDS. In fact, if you gotta simplify shit, why don't you adapt a modified Abe's Odyssey type speaking system. This gestural sub-Sims level shit is ghastly.

The combat has been made worse. Why? Wasn't simple enough for the mouthbreathers? Who is coming up with these decisions for you? Also, change the way enemies spawn. It is so fucking boring to walk through the same areas and know exactly that the enemies are gonna jump out of the same damn tree every time, no matter how many times you visit an area. The combat is bad enough without being drawn into the tedium whenever you walk down a path that you need to go do just to fetch a simple key dug in the same patch of dirt that eighty other villagers required you to go to just to be their damnable friend.

And oh god, the framerate. Nearly unplayable. Whether installed on HDD or not, the game frequently slows down so hard it looks like Hero is swimming through water.

The morality system is now even more of a farce. BUILD A SCHOOL? BURN SCHOOL DOWN AND ROAST THE CORPSE OF THE CHILDREN AND TURN IT INTO A BROTHEL? Hm, how delightfully absurd!

I like three basic IDEAS about Fable. I like the mixture of gunplay/melee play as a concept. I like the idea of this world evolving through time over multiple games, as in this latest move to industrialization. And I really dig the art style of Fable, it's appealing even if the engine is outdated shit. Albion is a neat place. But so many details at this point make the series almost worth abandoning at this point. Fable 4 is gonna need to completely retool the series or it'll be too painful to trudge through another quest.

Aaron

Lostconfused said:
Don't listen' to this nonsense, memory is an extremely unreliable thing.
If you want to swim in garbage, be my guest. Just don't trick other people into thinking its caviar. In almost ever aspect, Fable III is worse than the previous game, and that's before you get to the horror show that's the kingship. Remember when you didn't have to repair properties? Remember one you could actually choose your expression, and entertain more than one person at a time without that FUCKING FADE IN AND OUT? Remember when the dog mattered for a shit? Remember when the story actually tried instead of serving up a lame cop-out of the spooky evil darkness?

Ah, memories.

Don't even bother mentioning the combat either. That shit was better in the first game.

Aaron said:
If you want to swim in garbage, be my guest. Just don't trick other people into thinking its caviar.
I am not the one telling some one to go play more Fable II.
Aaron said:
In almost ever aspect, Fable III is worse than the previous game, and that's before you get to the horror show that's the kingship. Remember when you didn't have to repair properties?
Yes I do. Not that it matters because you can pretty much ignore it completely and still have the exact same broken economy just like in Fable II.
Aaron said:
Remember one you could actually choose your expression, and entertain more than one person at a time without that FUCKING FADE IN AND OUT?
Yeah I do remember that. That's pretty much the only big thing Fable II does better than III. Well that and its supposed to be less buggy as well, although I can't comment on that. Although Fable II did have more interesting choices. You know the ones that effected your character, the stuff you could buy, the ones that robbed you of experience points
Although experience points are worthless and you can max out your character in the first ten minutes of the game
, or the one that turned your character old and withered. That was probably the most interesting part of Fable II, too none of those are actual consequences when you can just easily reverse them by spending a bit of gold.
Aaron said:
Remember when the dog mattered for a shit?
To be honest I don't. It mattered to me in II as little as it does now in III.
Aaron said:
Remember when the story actually tried instead of serving up a lame cop-out of the spooky evil darkness?
I remember the story in Fable II because I played a week before III but I don't remember it being good or interesting or anything other than somewhat bland.
Aaron said:
Don't even bother mentioning the combat either. That shit was better in the first game.
Yes it was, at least they moved it in the right direction in III compared to II.

Edit: You know like changing experience to only 1 type. So that when they wanted you to use magic/ranged/melee all at the same type you wouldn't get funneled down only one of them because of limited XP. Or you know how all your melee/ranged abilities are not locked away and you can actually use them from the beginning. Or how ranged isn't broken and overpowered where you can head shot an enemy six times in two seconds where it might take much longer to kill him using magic or melee.

Edit: I am willing to admit that Fable III might be a broken and horrible mess. I just can't see how Fable II is any less of a mess.

Aaron said:
If you want to swim in garbage, be my guest. Just don't trick other people into thinking its caviar. In almost ever aspect, Fable III is worse than the previous game, and that's before you get to the horror show that's the kingship. Remember when you didn't have to repair properties? Remember one you could actually choose your expression, and entertain more than one person at a time without that FUCKING FADE IN AND OUT? Remember when the dog mattered for a shit? Remember when the story actually tried instead of serving up a lame cop-out of the spooky evil darkness?

Ah, memories.

Speaking of the dog, did anybody ever manage to get the dog to fetch the ball, even once, in Fable 3? I don't even know why they put it in the damn game.

Fable 2 was miles above and beyond Fable 3.

Mastperf

Lostconfused said:
Don't listen' to this nonsense, memory is an extremely unreliable thing.
I had a Fable marathon right before Fable 3 came out. I played The Lost Chapters, then Fable 2 and went right in to Fable 3 without a break. I can so that without a doubt 2 is better than 3. They absolutely destroyed the lighting and colorful world they created in Fable 2. I really like going in to Oakvale in See The Future and watching the sunrise. I watched as it rose up from underneath the covered bridge and it just felt awesome and and sad at the same time. It was awesome to see Oakvale graphically upgraded and having become bigger but also less commercial. It was sad to think that this was literally the last day of the villages existence and you were walking around something that was nothing more than a snapshot in time. Fable 3 on the other hand was a soulless and empty shell of a game with not a single interesting area or character to be found. Fable 3 doesn't deserve to carry the Fable name.

NullPointer said:
Speaking of the dog, did anybody ever manage to get the dog to fetch the ball, even once, in Fable 3? I don't even know why they put it in the damn game.

Fable 2 was miles above and beyond Fable 3.

That's what makes this dog DLC so sadly funny:lol I actually liked the dog in Fable II, because he seemed like an actual character you could interact with. The dog in Fable III doesn't do anything. He's not even good at pointing out treasures three feet in front of you. God, Fable III is probably the most disappointing game of the year for me.

hetchi

I liked Fable III but there was more potential in certain areas. It would have been nice to be able to select what type of expression one did (expression wheel) or even choose more than one type of food and designate the item to your d-pad. Nevertheless, it's still an okay game despite of the things taken away from it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So did anyone else encounter a problem downloading the Understone DLC? I finally got 400 points, went to download it, and as soon as the download started, it finished. My connection isn't fast enough to download 240MB in one second and when I check Fable III under my HDD, it doesn't show the DLC there.

Did I just get screwed out of 400 points? :(

fernoca

Domino Theory said:
So did anyone else encounter a problem downloading the Understone DLC? I finally got 400 points, went to download it, and as soon as the download started, it finished. My connection isn't fast enough to download 240MB in one second and when I check Fable III under my HDD, it doesn't show the DLC there.

Did I just get screwed out of 400 points? :(
There are no problems.
You basically downloaded "a key". Since it seems you already have the "free DLC" that has been released so far, that file contains everything to other people can see it when they play co-op with someone else.

Start the game and you'll see the quests and items waiting for you. ;)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
fernoca said:
There are no problems.
You basically downloaded "a key". Since it seems you already have the "free DLC" that has been released so far, that file contains everything to other people can see it when they play co-op with someone else.

Start the game and you'll see the quests and items waiting for you. ;)

Thanks, finished it up yesterday.

Really short, but the concept behind the whole thing was pretty awesome. Gave me a Bioshock feel, if anything.

I don't know if there's an actual thread for weapon trading/begging, but I just need ONE MORE weapon to complete the weapons achievement.

I'm only missing Skorm's Justice. If anyone is willing to trade me that, it would be greatly appreciated.

My gamertag is Ajemsuhga0

Ricker

Found the last gnome I needed in Industrial,finally and that last flower in Aurora...now the only thing i`m missing that`s bugging me is one damn silver key in Millifields...I won`t bother with the books,since i`m missing 10 of them...

You guys think the hint for the bargain of the day on Wednesday I think is the Understone DLC or some of them?...it says something about choosing good and evil...

xBigDanx

hopefully easy question... I'm watching some videos of this and in the vids, everytime the players runs past a villager, they release 'orbs' or whatever they are for him to pick up.

How do I do that? I'm working right now on opening all the chests on the road to rule so it'd def make it much easier

Ricker

xBigDanx said:
hopefully easy question... I'm watching some videos of this and in the vids, everytime the players runs past a villager, they release 'orbs' or whatever they are for him to pick up.

How do I do that? I'm working right now on opening all the chests on the road to rule so it'd def make it much easier

I think you need to be all evil or good and the main quest done for that to happen...I saw that the other day but I forgot to ask if that person was seeing the same thing on me....it`s only an online co-op thing I believe...otherwise i`m not sure hehe.

vhfive

Ricker said:
I think you need to be all evil or good and the main quest done for that to happen...I saw that the other day but I forgot to ask if that person was seeing the same thing on me....it`s only an online co-op thing I believe...otherwise i`m not sure hehe.
after you beat the game this happens. Not sure if you need to make all the "good" decisions and save everyone at the end of the game or not though.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
I for one actually think the game gets better the more you get into it, and I liked being King... I just thought that section was too short, and wtf, there was NO warning when 'the last day' came. One minute it was 130 days or whatever, the next minute it was THE FINAL BATTLE

that really screwed me. I had done mostly, not all, but mostly good choices so I had under 1MM in the treasurey... but I had a ton in my personal account so I was going to transfer it all in and let the clock run a bit so I can get more from personal to treasurey since I owned every building and all that etc etc... but with no warning, i went straight to the final battle, and after I beat it, 6MM people died! that sucked. I had cash to save way more. Now I have a population of 500k in all of Albion. And all my "Heros" love me and happy angel wing, Teresa-hugging ending... but all 500k people left in Albion detest me :lol that's sucks, kinda depressing. they should have given you a better heads up

xBigDanx

vhfive said:
after you beat the game this happens. Not sure if you need to make all the "good" decisions and save everyone at the end of the game or not though.

so I can continue to open up chest on the road to rule after I beat the game?

Top Bottom