• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social media sites are down.

Turkey @TurkeyBlocks
Confirmed: Twitter, Facebook & YouTube blocked in #Turkey at 10:50PM after apparent military uprising in #Turkey

CnbmZzHWgAAuzqe.jpg

https://twitter.com/TurkeyBlocks/status/754043966547431424

Someone really needs to come out with a poll: "What will be the next international incident/tragedy/story"

Are they coming every day? Feels like it.

Got to go read up on the sides of Turkey, cause as it stands, I don't know if I think this is good or not.

Well, the current government under Erdogen is generally terrible but....

there's pretty much no resolution to a coup d'etat that is favorable for the citizens.

Worst case scenario: Complete government collapse, Syria

Lunzio

I'm simply completely oblivious to what this means. What kinds of repercussions does a modern coup entail?

Stay safe, TurkeyGAF!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
So if the coup line is confirmed, presumably the military forces blockading various Turkish cities are those taking part in the coup rather than government loyalists trying to hold out those attempting to take over?
That's the way it usually works. Show of force by the newcomers to dissuade defense.

Apt101

That would scare the bejesus out of me.

When I was a kid fighter jets from a local naval base would fly training maneuvers crazily low like this near neighborhoods. They would fly so low near a large field that I could see the pilot inside. So loud it would rattle your teeth. Someone in the government eventually forced them to conduct the training somewhere else, I think over the ocean and near The Great Dismal Swamp. But I still remember them.

If this is a coup I wonder who is driving it? I don't know much about Turkish politics, just that Erdogan was a bit of a tyrant.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
As with any coup, the only way this is going to end "well" is with either side taking full control of the situation ASAP.

Whatever happens, let's hope it goes down with the quickness.

Regginator

Turkey is a pretty stable country and economy all things considered, attempting a coup would be disastrous not only for the country but also its citizens. I hope it doesn't come to that.

FStop7

Banned
Erdogan is terrible but a destabilized Turkey does not help anyone. Especially when there is no guarantee that his replacement will be any better. And if the coup fails then Erdogan will be even more dangerous. Turkey is a NATO member and has nuclear weapons.

Jackpot

Banned
So if the coup line is confirmed, presumably the military forces blockading various Turkish cities are those taking part in the coup rather than government loyalists trying to hold out those attempting to take over?

I would guess they're pro-Erdogan and are locking down the smaller coup element. [/don'tknowhygutfeeling]

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
CNN reporting now with Jake Tapper at the helm.

"Military action being taken without chain of command" is a mild way of saying your army wants to put it's leaders in front if a firing squad.

Yes, which is why this is surprising. I wrote my undergrad thesis on why Turkey was unlikely to see the return of the military coup; thank god that was marked two years ago!
The fallacy in that argument is that officers in the Turkish armed forces are like the Mafia.

Piecake

I believe America has some nukes/nuke sites in Turkey, right? Does Turkey itself have Nuclear weapons? We probably don't have to worry about that, right???

I really doubt it. This is a fight over control by two institutions, not rogue actors. These institutions are not going to attack US military compounds because that would just be really really stupid.

Shiggy

A coups d'etat is not necessarily bad. While I'm not familiar with today's military leaders in Turkey, it may potentially protect Turkish core values which were increasingly destroyed by Erdogan. The Turkish military achieved that with prior coups at least.

Mesousa

Banned
Erdogan is terrible but a destabilized Turkey does not help anyone. Especially when there is no guarantee that his replacement will be any better. And if the coup fails then Erdogan will be even more dangerous. Turkey is a NATO member and has nuclear weapons.

Do they actually have nuclear weapons or do they have access via NATO?

KDR_11k

Considering how often the govt there yells about coups everywhere I was kinda expecting this to be just another cry about a wolf.

CoolOff

If the government falls, and if he can hang on for Obama, I think that will mean Bashar al-Assad has out-lasted everyone who originally wanted him to go.

Geezer.

Nato article 5 anyone?

After all if it's a coup then it could be enforced I guess.

Article 5 is an external attack, only 9/11 triggered it. We didn't do anything in past coups and if its the army then NATO probably cares more about not rocking that boat.

In fact we (USA) supported the 1980 coup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom