• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
12:18 PM - 15 Jul 2016 agitpapa @agitpapa
Something fishy's going on military blocking Bosphorus bridge, jets buzzing Ankara. Tayyip took Turkey back decades is it already 1980?

12:20 PM - 15 Jul 2016 ilhan tanir @WashingtonPoint
Bosporus Bridge currently blocked by Turkish Military. Everybody is asking: what is going on? Turkey. Istanbul. pic.twitter.com/7pqwTY9zQw

12:21 PM - 15 Jul 2016agitpapa ‏@agitpapa
Curfew declared in Ankara.

12:30pm · 15 Jul 2016 Mahir Zeynalov @MahirZeynalov
Reports of significant military presence in urban areas in Turkey. Two Istanbul bridges on lockdown by military.

12:32 PM - 15 Jul 2016 Mahir Zeynalov @MahirZeynalov
Turkish fighter jets flying low over Ankara pic.twitter.com/wqcPmLBOyW

12:54 PM - 15 Jul 2016 Piotr Zalewski @p_zalewski
Roads to the General Staff headquarters in Ankara have been blocked: TR media t24.com.tr/haber/ankarada…

12:56 PM - 15 Jul 2016(((Michael Koplow))) @mkoplow
The lack of Turkish govt officials visible anywhere at the moment is…odd.

1:08 PM - 15 Jul 2016Elijah J. Magnier @EjmAlrai
Helicopters hitting the Intelligence service building and army surrounding the army HQ. Getting hotter. #Turkey

#BreakingNews: F-16 over #Ankara and Helicopters opening fire in #Ankara against Army building. #Turkey

It is obvious that the #Turkish Air Force is splitting and it is a real coup d'etat.

Markoman

Ok, tinfoil hat time. Something about Erdogan demading visa free travel for Turkish citizens in the refugee deal always smelled fishy. Maybe he was expecting something like this....

I wouldn't read this in western Secular vs Religious terms.

Its likely a fight over power. The army is its own institution and the president has made moves to end that.

Kibbles

How does a coup happen? Some General goes rogue and everyone in the military follows? Just surprised everyone would disobey the commander in chief like that

Bedlam

Well shit, there goes one of the few stable countries in the Middle East.

Hopefully this coup is pro-West. In any case, this is probably the definitive end of the EU membership negotiations.

sofa

Italian SkyTG24 has a direct with a local reporter that said that the Chief of the military (?) said that the coup is nationwide and of the whole military.

Vade

This will not end well Erdogan already has cleared most of the secular remnants of the old guard on. Unless things move fast this will be a sad end for all involved.

trembli0s

Wild, I imagine the old guard is being broken out of prison as we speak. Looks like a coup by old loyalists against the new leadership.

If this is a military coup, how much do they tell the grunts being deployed? Do all the ground soldiers know about this ahead of time and keep it a secret?

Just seems like an incredibly hard thing to pull off without getting caught.

12:18 PM - 15 Jul 2016 agitpapa @agitpapa
Something fishy's going on military blocking Bosphorus bridge, jets buzzing Ankara. Tayyip took Turkey back decades is it already 1980?

12:20 PM - 15 Jul 2016 ilhan tanir @WashingtonPoint
Bosporus Bridge currently blocked by Turkish Military. Everybody is asking: what is going on? Turkey. Istanbul. pic.twitter.com/7pqwTY9zQw

12:21 PM - 15 Jul 2016agitpapa ‏@agitpapa
Curfew declared in Ankara.

12:30pm · 15 Jul 2016 Mahir Zeynalov @MahirZeynalov
Reports of significant military presence in urban areas in Turkey. Two Istanbul bridges on lockdown by military.

12:32 PM - 15 Jul 2016 Mahir Zeynalov @MahirZeynalov
Turkish fighter jets flying low over Ankara pic.twitter.com/wqcPmLBOyW

12:54 PM - 15 Jul 2016 Piotr Zalewski @p_zalewski
Roads to the General Staff headquarters in Ankara have been blocked: TR media t24.com.tr/haber/ankarada…

12:56 PM - 15 Jul 2016(((Michael Koplow))) @mkoplow
The lack of Turkish govt officials visible anywhere at the moment is…odd.

1:08 PM - 15 Jul 2016Elijah J. Magnier @EjmAlrai
Helicopters hitting the Intelligence service building and army surrounding the army HQ. Getting hotter. #Turkey

#BreakingNews: F-16 over #Ankara and Helicopters opening fire in #Ankara against Army building. #Turkey

It is obvious that the #Turkish Air Force is splitting and it is a real coup d'etat.

Wait so TAF are the coup or they're Ergodan loyal? I'm confused.

nynt9

I'm reading up on him and he seems to be progressive and a better alternative than Erdogan but the way you're talking about a "cult" seems worrying. Is he actually linked to that cult or are they misguided followers?
Please forgive my ignorance.

I hope this doesn't turn into a prolongued bloodbath, for the sake of the citizens of Turkey of course but also more selfishly for the negative implications for Europe...

He was originally worse than Erdogan, but as Erdogan got worse it's unclear who's better now. The problem is not how religious he is but his ulterior motives. Though his people are REALLY culty. They have cult houses for brainwashing teenagers. I've lost friends to this. Unfortunately this part is exclusive to Turkey so I can't find good English sources for this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo...st-politically-connected-cleric/#686c6b981f77

A former Gulen movement follower who spoke to me on the condition of anonymity likened the group to a cross between Islam and Scientology. He said he was part of the group since Middle School but left it in college because he was too busy to adhere to the group’s objectives of volunteerism and fund-raiser events.

“They’re goal is to indoctrinate the best and the brightest who will eventually get careers in law, or in the military, or in politics. They’re too new in the United States to have gotten that far,” he told me, adding that he feels Gulen is non-threatening.

Ok, tinfoil hat time. Something about Erdogan demading visa free travel for Turkish citizens in the refugee deal always smelled fishy. Maybe he was expecting something like this....
Nothing tinfoil about it, it's reasonable speculation...

Also, consider the timing of him making up with Israel and Russia.

He knew he had no friends left...

I certainly can't imagine NATO members going after Turkey with all the shit going on in the region. The situation is already bad as it is.

They're could be tacit support if the whole military is behind it and the reasons.

Hasn't erdogon been somewhat lax over border control?

norinrad

And 2016 isn't over yet. It's like the last 12 years or so the world has gotten more dangerous and nothing is certain these days. I hope everyone and their family and friends stay safe.

kirblar

They're could be tacit support if the whole military is behind it and the reasons.

Hasn't erdogon been somewhat lax over border control?
He recently announced plans to resettle mass amounts of Syrians. There's a really obvious pop culture analogy here.

idonteven

holy shit

is it even possible in this day and age for a army to take over a country ?

how the hell can police win against a army

Iksenpets

Banned

Visa free travel in Europe has been a Turkish goal for decades. Nothing fishy about that. And frankly, if Erdogan needed to escape into exile, he has the resources to go wherever he wants.

Arnie7

Banned
How does a coup happen? Some General goes rogue and everyone in the military follows? Just surprised everyone would disobey the commander in chief like that

Kinda, but usually by a patriot type general who inspires a lot of loyalty.

The-Rock-movie.jpg

Crosseyes

Banned
Italian SkyTG24 has a direct with a local reporter that said that the Chief of the military (?) said that the coup is nationwide and of the whole military.
Hopefully that's true. Now that the coup is already underway both sides will try to come into power. Having the much better party in the armed forces come out quickly on top is very preferable than an emboldened Erdogan or long term conflict.

And 2016 isn't over yet. It's like the last 12 years or so the world has gotten more dangerous and nothing is certain these days. I hope everyone and their family and friends stay safe.

or it's like in the last 12 years information has become far easier to gain access of all around the world

holy shit

is it even possible in this day and age for a army to take over a country ?

how the hell can police win against a army

I guess you missed the entire Egypt thing a few years ago

Military took over twice in the last four years

The world is far less dangerous than it has been. Except for terrorism deaths from conflicts are down. Civil wars are ending, incomes rising, etc.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Holy shit. I knew something was wrong when Turkey was trending on Twitter. What is happening. Stay safe Turkey gaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom