• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly enough, I had just watched a TV program on Turkey. While it focused on some of the culture and cuisine, it was clear there was also the problem of ethnic groups being squashed under Islamic Fundamentalism, and the growing tensions within the country.

I mean... a "small" group within the military shouldn't have control over air forces?

07-minister.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do they actually have nuclear weapons or do they have access via NATO?

They don't have their own, but America stations some there. I wouldn't worry about that, the military won't be wanting to upset America.

Markoman

Before anyone starts cheering at this being a coup. Do we know who the rebells are? No!!!
A military coup in a country which at this point is a barrel full of gun powder.... Yeah, totally cool.
This could turn into a bloody disaster if it's a group of hardliners. If the coup fails, Erdogan will go full paranoid. Shit, this is really bad.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Erdogan is terrible but a destabilized Turkey does not help anyone. Especially when there is no guarantee that his replacement will be any better. And if the coup fails then Erdogan will be even more dangerous. Turkey is a NATO member and has nuclear weapons.

The thing that really concerns me is that some years ago Erdogan removed a good number of discolous officials, so there's a chance the Turkish army is not as united it's been in previous coups.

All coups attempts are marred with uncertainty, but I'm feeling incredibly uneasy about a Turkish one in this day and age, specially with the whole mess in the region.

nynt9

The thing that really concerns me is that some years ago Erdogan removed a good number of discolous officials, so there's a chance the Turkish army is not as united it's been in previous coups.

All coups attempts are marred with uncertainty, but I'm feeling incredibly uneasy about a Turkish one in this day and age, specially with the whole mess in the region.

I can't help but think this is less the work of secular remnants in the army and more Fethullah.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So the military deployments... Hard to tell what is pro-government action and what is part of the coup attempt, no?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do they actually have nuclear weapons or do they have access via NATO?

They have nukes as part of NATO's nuclear sharing policy. As far as I know, they have no direkt control over arming warheads.

A coups d'etat is not necessarily bad. While I'm not familiar with today's military leaders in Turkey, it may potentially protect Turkish core values which were increasingly destroyed by Erdogan. The Turkish military achieved that with prior coups at least.

This cycle is never going to end if the military if forced to step in every time and thing could escalate very quickly

You have a lot to learn, my friend. His cult has reach in all arms of Turkish society and government. Here's another one: http://www.meforum.org/2045/fethullah-gulens-grand-ambition

I'm reading up on him and he seems to be progressive and a better alternative than Erdogan but the way you're talking about a "cult" seems worrying. Is he actually linked to that cult or are they misguided followers?
Please forgive my ignorance.

I hope this doesn't turn into a prolongued bloodbath, for the sake of the citizens of Turkey of course but also more selfishly because of the possible negative implications for Europe...

ezrarh

Before anyone starts cheering at this being a coup. Do we know who the rebells are? No!!!
A military coup in a country which at this point is a barrel full of gun powder.... Yeah, totally cool.
This could turn into a bloody disaster if it's a group of hardliners. If the coup fails, Erdogan will go full paranoid. Shit, this is really bad.

I don't think anybody's cheering anything on. The last thing the area needs is further destabilization.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the leadership in Turkey right now was more conservative in terms of religious beliefs. Is this true?

18-Volt

Turkey has been a member of NATO since 1952. They have had four coups since then. NATO status does not apply here.

And Turkish Military never attempt to overthrow the government without NATO's consent. 1980 coup was planned with top minds in NATO.

This doesn't look like a proper coup btw, as military is in full control of Erdogan and AKP, a full scale restructure of military has happened over couple of years. This sounds more like some high level ISIS related arrests happening, possibly in Turkish Intelligence Agency.

I believe America has some nukes/nuke sites in Turkey, right? Does Turkey itself have Nuclear weapons? We probably don't have to worry about that, right???

Yeah there are nukes at Incirlik Air Base. However, I highly doubt they would attack a US military installation.

I support this coup. Turkey is a weird country in a sense that it needs the military to push the reset button every once in a while to keep some sense separating the state and religion or overall asshole leaders. Not perhaps the most democratic way to go about it but it has worked for them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom