• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

espher

Yet they are killing civillians on the street/bombing capitol... None of this is adding up.

Honest question: is there more than that one NSFL video going around? I've seen videos of helis/jets shooting at civilians but they always seem to be shooting at some unspecified target. I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening I just can't seem to find anything other than 'reports'. This whole thing is a misinformation bonanza.

Edit: Yeah there's way more to this than meets the eye, I'd wager.

Klyka

Banned
How does anyone even come up with "the council of mayhem"?

Where does that shit even come from? Call them "the rebels" or the "coup military" or something but not like they are some ancient evil society that has been praying to the elder gods for 500 years

Erdogan calling for citizens to go fight in the streets is disgusting

It also makes me question the narrative that this is anywhere close to over.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Erdogan supposedly in Istanbul at the airport.

BBC, not confirmed.

Cocaloch

Am I reading this wrong or is this a call to have these people mowed down in the streets?

Yup. If people are killed by the military it's much harder for the West to support the coup, meanwhile the coup can't stop for a protest otherwise nothing could ever be done if there was a single civilian dissident. The coup's hand is forced and civilians are being fed to the meat grinder.

Alucrid

Banned
Am I reading this wrong or is this a call to have these people mowed down in the streets?

erdogan probably hoped this would quell the coup as the military wouldn't want to shoot on their own populace. or that their deaths would strength erdogan's position. erdogan wins either way. in either case it's probably best to not be out there.

BigAl1992

Right. I'm saying this right now to TurkeyGAF; STAY THE HELL INSIDE AND AWAY FROM ALL THIS. If you're within the area and if you can, GET THE HELL OUT NOW. This is about to turn into a god damn conflict.

Wait WTF? so he's purposely trying to get push civilians into the line of fire?

As opposed to?

They voted for him and support him, going out on the streets only means you get shot if the coup forces shoot at you, for demonstrating, which is a democratic right.

SuperSah

Banned
Is this coup now an actual threat? It's larger and way more powerful than it was anticipated.

Erdogan needs to back down, take it and stop sending unarmed civilians into the firing line.

Phoenix

Erdogan is live and he is ordering his followers to go out and resist.

Then its not as over as he thought it was. Not hearing a lot of military on military clashes and a lot of the leaders have supposedly been detained. Could end up with a small number of combatants and a large section of the military waiting for orders.

This is not going to end well for anybody at this point. This guy's ego would never allow him to stand down, the military might as well give it up unless they want to kill a bunch of people.

Probably on high alert, though it would be incredibly stupid for any force to even approach them.

An attack would lead to immediate retaliation/annihilation I'd imagine from combined aerial and naval forces in the area who can rapidly respond.

Edit: Edrogan on TV https://www.canlitvizle.io/fox-turkiye

Is this not from earlier? This same venue was shown with him speaking in front of it about an hour and a half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom