• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is mental. Absolutely something else.

Gilgo ‏@agirecudi 38s39 seconds ago
Breaking- Erdogan's jet which landed in Atatürk Airport in Istanbul has taken off again!

XujHL.gif

I don't know what's happening there, it seems things are really flipping 180
No, it's that we don't have a clue of what's actually going on, as we are in the fog of war and propaganda is coming from both sides. The "flipping" is just unconfirmed reports being echoed back and forth.

If erdogan gets to the country, a civil war will break out. It seems that the military is killing civilians. That's never good and it WILL BACK FIRE IMMENSELY. I really hope it doesn't turn into another Syria. Turkey is at the door step of Europe and the west. They are also a NATO country with nuclear weapons.

Is CNN Turk a pro/anti erdogan or neutral channel ?

No idea but Wikipedia suggests pro-Erdogan

CNN Turk was one of the Turkish news channels which were criticized for not covering the 2013–14 protests in Turkey. On June 2, 2013 at 1am, CNN Turk was broadcasting a documentary on penguins while CNN International was showing live coverage of the protests in Turkey.

"[On the afternoon of Friday, May 31, 2013] CNN Turk was broadcasting a food show, featuring the “flavors of Niğde.” Other major Turkish news channels were showing a dance contest and a roundtable on study-abroad programs. It was a classic case of the revolution not being televised. The whole country seemed to be experiencing a cognitive disconnect, with Twitter saying one thing, the government saying another, and the television off on another planet."

In 2014, it showed a documentary on bees as Turkish Kurds undertook major protests about Ankara's refusal to support Kurdish fighters battling Islamic State in Kobanê.

Ceylan YeginsuVerified account ‏@CeylanWrites 2h2 hours ago
It's almost 2 a.m. and mosques across Istanbul are relentlessly calling people to the streets to resist and protest the military coup.

Am I reading this wrong or is this a call to have these people mowed down in the streets?

espher

We've got military planes attacking. And he's able to land, and then take off? It makes me question, if it's true, how f16s and helicopters are unable to down his jet.

Yup. Unless they don't want to because of the potential reaction and were/are hoping to capture him.

We've got military planes attacking. And he's able to land, and then take off? It makes me question, if it's true, how f16s and helicopters are unable to down his jet.

Question is do they want to kill him or keep him alive? And is the jet actually carrying ergodan or is a decoy?

Could have been a feint to lul Ero into a false sense of security and then return home where they planned to either capture or kill him with little chance of him being able to escape. Smart planning by someone if that's the case.

It's more likely total chaos situation where people in command lost control over situation.

Please elaborate?

The factions aligned with the coup have total air superiority.

If his plane was allowed to land, be attacked, then take off again, it speaks to this being a planned measure by himself and his party to dismantle the constitution and parliament ala the Nazi's bombing the Reichstag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom