• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Ankara is captured, then it's checkmate, right?

The Pro-Coup faction should pour all effort in capturing the capital.

Not really. Ankara might have the offices, but Istanbul is still really the epicentre of Turkey in many ways. One in seven Turks live in the Istanbul region.

Quirah

Guys as a Turkish person I am repeating again. Nobody is supporting this coup in Turkey. Really nobody. Not a single Islamic group or political party or head of military. Nobody is supporting this situation.

Everybody is scared af. We are hearing gun sounds. This is nightmare

Aki-at

I really don't think Erdogan planned this, it just comes across as a horribly executed coup and they've allowed him too much room to cause civil unrest by going on national TV.

Horrible time for Turkey, stay safe all out there :(

Guys as a Turkish person I am repeating again. Nobody is supporting this coup in Turkey. Really nobody. Not a single Islamic group or political party or head of military. Nobody is supporting this situation.

Are you able to speculate on what political group the coup is trying to support with this act?

I mean come on people lets just stay focused on facts rather than speculate with crazy conspiracies. It shouldn't even make a difference to how dire the situation is and the casualties. Situation sucks all around :/

Lagamorph

From Sky News.

The state-run Anadolu Agency, citing unnamed military sources, says the leader of the attempted coup is Colonel Muharrem Kose

Only info I can find is that he's "a former military legal counsel who was dismissed from his position in March"

What boggles my mind are some people blaming Erdogan for rallying his base when the army is literally doing all the killing. Like what the fuck?

Protestors will..protest. You dont have to kill them. How hard is that to understand?

Kolx

Gaf clearly knows what is good for you better than you do.

Please stay safe, Quirah. Do you guys have any idea who is behind the coup? Is it just part of the military trying to overthrow the government on its own?

Allowing Erdogan to facetime on national TV was a mistake. They could have taken him out if Erdogan didn't rally all his supporters.

I would assume the people attempting the coup figured they only had to worry about state run news agencies when it came to Erdogan getting a message out and didn't think he'd be able to face time a statement that other agencies would broadcast.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
more and more civilian deaths by these coup 'heroes' but of course you know this is all for the greater good right?

Erdogan sent them out like mobile human shields. Absolutley heartbreaking seeing the loss of life. What the hell kinda coward tells unarmed people to throw themselves at soldiers? On top of that, this same bastard had his own security forces mow down protestors when they demonstrated against him

Majukun

Now is this coup real or staged,
If staged was it really worth it to sacrifice civilians?

staged by whom?
all the soldiers involved with the coup will probably end up with a charge of treason and everything that comes with it..how do you convicne all these people to just give up their lives exactly?
That's the thing that doesn't make sense at all of the whole "it's staged" theory

Ahasverus

Stay safe, hopefully it's over soon.

Syncytia

Per MSNBC translation:
starting part way into it

Members of AKP party should go out on the street
This is the best answer to these people who have attempted this uprising
Some of them are being arrested actually
Turkey won't be (frightened?) by this type of uprising
Turkey can't be governed from Pennsylvania
[missed a bunch of stuff]
These tanks, military equipment belong to this country, we won't be afraid of these attacks.
I want them to know this minority group in the military will pay for what they did
We will be standing up straight and strong and I want our nationals to also be strong and stand up straight and go to the airport and arenas.

he is supposedly going to make another statement

What boggles my mind are some people blaming Erdogan for rallying his base when the army is literally doing all the killing. Like what the fuck?

Protestors will..protest. You dont have to kill them. How hard is that to understand?

If the guy is so in control of the military like he said then he can use the fucking military, not civilians.

This is not going to end well for anybody at this point. This guy's ego would never allow him to stand down, the military might as well give it up unless they want to kill a bunch of people.
It's literally do or die for the coup commanders and any officer above lieutnant in their forces at this point. The very instant they stand down they might just as well pull out their sidearm and shoot themselves, they will face zero mercy at the hands of Erdogan's staged tribunals.

Erdogan is desperate and trying to get as many bodies as he can between him and the coup forces. In a worst case scenario he will be alive and in power in the end, laugh at all those fools that sacrificed themselves for him and use them as propaganda material.

Gaf clearly knows what is good for you better than you do.

Seems like people are very eager to condemn the civilians for protesting straight away (whether they're right or wrong) rather than acknowledge the fact it's effed up they're killing civilians.

Man maybe it's the NSFL video I saw but it's just not right :/

Erdogan's enemies should probably try to find somewhere to hide in the next 48 hours.

Things are not gonna go well for them even if they're not involved with the coup.

Erdogan sent them out like mobile human shields. Absolutley heartbreaking seeing the loss of life. What the hell kinda coward tells unarmed people to throw themselves at soldiers? On top of that, this same bastard had his own security forces mow down protestors when they demonstrated against him

yeah you know maybe the so called army should've never used live ammo on innocent people who don't want them to take over their country

you think?

The guy is a piece of shit but does the army really have to kill them? What fucking reason does a flying jet have to mow down civilians when its clearly not in self defense?

If the guy is so in control of the military like he said then he can use the fucking military, not civilians.

The military does not have to kill protestors. Why are they killing protestors?

Don't encourage people to go out in the streets and face freaking tanks, how hard is that to understand? They don't have to kill them and shouldn't, but don't encourage them to get in harms way.

I don't think that the issue. Erdogan knows that people will die if they oppose these forces, but instead of giving a fuck, he is asking them to sacrifice their lives for him. That's fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom