• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
they lost Istanbul because the first division pledge allegiance to the government instead of the coup forces

the first division is in charge of Istanbul and around Istanbul

Chaos17

Some did some didn't. It's a mess. Though, it's pretty clear that anyone who's captured alive out of this mess is gonna get executed.

The one who did was at Ankaar before that army didn't opened fire on civils only warning shots.

Edit: Well it seems it's finaly over since the president was able to come back. Time to leave thread.

Kolx

That's doesn't make any fucking sense. Why didn't the rest of the army stop the coup?
Because they don't want to engage in a fight with ither soldiers of their country? Wasn't the high commander of the army captured anyway so he won't be able to issue orders?

But if that is the case, why haven't they been subdued yet by rest of the military?

I don't know the placement of their forces. Apparently the coup forces attacked the police? Maybe the police were the only group, along with the civilians, that could get to them?

I dont know. Im not a military mind. It just seems weird.

What Erdogan is saying now is suspicious as fuck. Called the coup a "gift from god" that will let him clean up the military.

Yep.

He's going to remove everybody and everything that dissents against him, dissolve parliament, and assume more and more powers.

He's won. He's destroyed the Turkish republic.

Syncytia

Some stuff from Erdogan, per translator being shown on MSNBC

These people will punished in the harshest way.
Uprising is a gift from god to help us clean out the military of this gang.
Something about meetings concerning the army coming up, these people were afraid of what decisions would be made in those meetings.

This is a direct quote?

Per the person translating, yes.

skny

This was done by a very small fraction of the Military. If it was done by the whole army you wouldnt be able to watch these livestreams right now.

Klyka

Banned
Erdogan saying this will result in "cleaning up the army"

"Thanks for going out on the streets and getting shot for me guys! I swear I will honor that guy who got his torso blasted off by an anti-tank round by cleaning up the military! Oh and we'll name a stop sign after the tank guy! Your homie Erdogan OUT"

reckless

Some stuff from Erdogan, per translator being shown on MSNBC

These people will punished in the harshest way.
Uprising is a gift from god to help us clean out the military of this gang.
Something about meetings concerning the army coming up, these people were afraid of what decisions would be made in those meetings.

Umm, that's not suspicious as hell or anything.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Erdogan saying this will result in "cleaning up the army"

This fucked up on all levels. This coup came out at the wrong time, and all it seems to be doing is allowing to get Erdogan to become more powerful and get innocents killed.

The military in Istanbul was defeated by.... police and civilians?

How?

Coups typically do not involve everyone in fact usually only a tiny minority of the military would know ahead of time. Got to keep it secret and all that, you depend on everyone kind of going along with you on the day.

Should have come to Nigeria for training we experts at coup plotting.

Big mistake not taking over popular means of communication and allowing the person you want to overthrow access to channels of mass communication.

You need balls of steel to carry out a coup and IMO its sheer lunacy to carry out a coup in a relatively stable, economically vibrant Turkey.

mo60

According to Erodogan the general secetary and chief of general staff is captured or missing. I got this from reddit live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom