• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
People celebrating in the CNN stream, definitely cheers. It looks like military men in the cars are going by.

Turkey seems to be two places right now. So surreal.

espher

staged by whom?
all the soldiers involved with the coup will probably end up with a charge of treason and everything that comes with it..how do you convicne all these people to just give up their lives exactly?
That's the thing that doesn't make sense at all of the whole "it's staged" theory

There are a lot of pieces and it makes it unlikely but if you convince a slice that it's a legit coup with full backing and will inevitably succeed and after things get rolling the larger segment just goes "nope, not us, don't agree, just a splinter group", they're up a creek.

Edit: And the narrative is that it's a "breakaway group"... one that didn't get squashed by the loyal segment of military forces and which was apparently mostly dismantled by civilians/law enforcement (because, for the most part - and acknowledging obviously some shit went down - they didn't put up a fight).

No, they missed their shot when they let the head of state talk to the nation

It's over, Erdogan is alive and doing live press conferences.

He's doing another one

Coup never had a chance if nobody supported it. At best they would blitzkrieg all the important places and then what? Erdogan would rally his supporters and surround them.

Zamorro

What boggles my mind are some people blaming Erdogan for rallying his base when the army is literally doing all the killing. Like what the fuck?

Protestors will..protest. You dont have to kill them. How hard is that to understand?

If there are people with tanks and guns on the street, order your people to stay indoors and safe. How hard is that to understand?

I don't think that the issue. Erdogan knows that people will die if they oppose these forces, but instead of giving a fuck, he is asking them to sacrifice their lives for him. That's fucked up.

I think its already established that the dude is a shithead but the army looks fucking awful when theyre mowing down their citizens. It makes me sick people are making excuses for the army. Its ok to be displeased at both.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The guy is a piece of shit but does the army really have to kill them? What fucking reason does a flying jet have to mow down civilians when its clearly not in self defense?

The military does not have to kill protestors. Why are they killing protestors?

Where did I say that the military should kill protesters?

Strange how Erdogan is now sat in a comfy room, his location is known yet the coup doesn't attempt to attack?

???

It seems like the "coup forces" were so small in amount. Thats why I think this is some weird ploy by him to get more power. It seems like there was only a hundred soldiers, if that.

zeroOman

Don't encourage people to go out in the streets and face freaking tanks, how hard is that to understand? They don't have to kill them and shouldn't, but don't encourage them to get in harms way.

Didn't they say they are for the ppl and they want the best for them... they are here cuz ppl are with them but now it's diff story when ppl are out saying to go back to ur base

Quirah

I can't quote but it's work of the one part of military. Basically the situation in Turkey is like that, this military taking some part or building, civils and police are going there, taking over back and arresting those militaries with Islamic chants. That doesn't means non Islamics are supporting this coup. In civil part of Turkey, literally nobody is supporting this situation.

Tldr
Part of military : supporting coup
Police civilians politics : not supporting

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What Erdogan is saying now is suspicious as fuck. Called the coup a "gift from god" that will let him clean up the military.

Aki-at

I think its already established that the dude is a shithead but if the army looks fucking awful when theyre mowing down their citizens. It makes me sick people are making excuses for the army. Its ok to be displeased at both.

This is how I feel about this.

I do think he needs to be stopped but once civilians are being killed the army has lost the high ground and it's just awful for everyone as it'll just give Erdogan an excuse to crack down on the "problem" elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom