• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairy Fencer F |OT| - ** The First Galapagos RPG Comes West! **

Volcynika

DSOW7wE.png

axLxvdM.png

Long ago, a dreadful war was fought between the Goddess and the Vile God...

Because they were equally matched, they both created a vast number of special weapons imbued with their godly energy, each containing the life force of a fairy. Armed with these weapons, the deities continued their conflict until they finally sealed each other away into the great unknown. Since then much time has passed. The weapons left behind by the Goddess and the Vile God are now known as "Furies". The warriors who wield those weapons are known as "Fencers". Due to their immense power, rumor has it that anyone who collects the Furies will have their wish granted. For this reason, Fencers have fought among themselves over possession of the Furies for countless years. As luck would have it, a young man named Fang has acquired one of the Furies. Shortly after becoming a new Fencer, he finds himself rescuing a young woman named Tiara, who is also a Fencer as well. This fateful encounter between two Fencers has dire consequences, and Fang soon finds himself involved in the ongoing conflict between the Goddess and Vile God...

KxcgOXb.png

• Platform: PlayStation 3
  • Genre: RPG
  • Release Dates:
    • Japan: 10/10/2013
    • North America: 09/16/2014
    • Europe: 09/19/2014
  • Developer: Compile Heart
  • Publisher: NIS America
  • MSRP: $49.99

oX9Oh9U.png

bqTtmku.png

• More challenges await!: Battles aren't the only way to boost your stats! Have characters complete certain tasks put forth by the "Challenge System" like jumping 100 times or achieving 10 preemptive attacks on enemies to achieve maximum stats!
  • Artistic pedigree: Soundtrack is by renowned composer Nobuo Uematsu, who has written the scores for most of the Final Fantasy titles. Character designs by Tsunako and gods designed by Yoshitaka Amano strikes a balance between cute and evil.
  • Flock of fairies: Collect mystical weapons called "Furies" that contain the essence of fairies. Use the Furies to grant your characters powerful abilities that change the tide of battle.
  • Bilingual Voice Option: Enjoy English text and both Japanese and English voices!

zIHJJ3p.png

VWHKSll.png

ukqF8XD.png

• To be added as they arrive

Definitely looking forward to playing this and probably looking forward to actually having time to play this...

I'll just say the OP song is the best song.

Did Nisa remove any "questionable" content? Not sure there would be anything deemed inappropriate in this game but with Nisa's recent track record I figured I would try to find out before I look into picking this up.

Volcynika

Did Nisa remove any "questionable" content? Not sure there would be anything deemed inappropriate in this game but with Nisa's recent track record I figured I would try to find out before I look into picking this up.

Houk said this on their forums wayyyyyyyyy back in February.

If we were going to censor it, we would have said so. In fact, for every game we've ever changed (all two of them) we've made it perfectly clear up front.

Imouto

Banned
Waiting for the upcoming Compile Hearts hate.

I'm looking forward to this one. It's on my play list just below Ar noSurge and Tales of Xillia 2.

Dezzy

I'm hoping this is more than just a Neptunia Victory re-skin. I liked that game, but I'd like bigger and better worlds to explore. Not just small copy/pasted maps.
Definitely keeping my eye out for impressions.

Volcynika

Will definitely buy this one in preparation for the ps4 one! :D

Yeah, when I saw the announcement for the sequel I only saw the name, and I was hoping for it not to be some up-port or anything. Good it's a sequel and the first game is about to come out!

MrBS

NISA LE order in. I guess I should look into what I've ordered.... I really need to get off this NISA LE habit!

Coxy

Definitely looking forward to playing this and probably looking forward to actually having time to play this...

I'll just say the OP song is the best song.

I like the henshin themes, such cheese, I hope the sequel has a unique song for every character

First of many I hope!

This, and Ar no Surge, are going to have to go on the backburner while I finish up with DanganRonpa 2; Neptunia Rebirth & Xillia 2 though. Sorcery Saga & Atelier Escha are already sitting on the fence waiting to be played.

Great time for niche JRPG fans at the moment. First time in ages I've actually had too much to play, which is something.

Volcynika

Will this have tons of DLC?

You'll need to ask someone who got the JP version or can search on the JP store, I'm unaware how much DLC (if any) they put out for the game.

Quick search seems they put out some stuff, including a tower broken up into multiple sets of floors as DLC (all free) and some paid stuff.

Ryuukan

You'll need to ask someone who got the JP version or can search on the JP store, I'm unaware how much DLC (if any) they put out for the game.

Quick search seems they put out some stuff, including a tower broken up into multiple sets of floors as DLC (all free) and some paid stuff.

This game doesn't have an announced vita port right?

anderedna

There's recently announced Fairy Fencer for PS4 during Sony pre-TGS conference. Is that version is the up port from this game or a different version, like a sequel? This game is definitely on my buy list, but if the PS4 version is the up port of this game, I'll wait for that one. Otherwise I'll just preorder this game from my usual retail shop.

SerTapTap

...I swear some of those background textures are reused from Neptunia.

Got this preordered, any importers know how the gameplay stacks up to more recent Compile Heart stuff? Since HDN Victory it's been pretty solid.

Pretty sure no Vita version is announced and the PS4 game is a sequel.

Volcynika

There's recently announced Fairy Fencer for PS4 during Sony pre-TGS conference. Is that version is the up port from this game or a different version, like a sequel? This game is definitely on my buy list, but if the PS4 version is the up port of this game, I'll wait for that one. Otherwise I'll just preorder this game from my usual retail shop.
The one that was recently announced on PS4, is it the same game?

Sequel. Everywhere I've looked claims it as such, at least! Feel free to search around and see if there's anything debunking that claim, because I can't find anything to dispute that.

This game doesn't have an announced vita port right?

Correct.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never heard of this game before but looks nice enough. I'm not much of a fan of Compile Heart's games, but are there any impressions from people who have played the Japanese version?

Zhao_Yun

Completely forgot that this game and Ar no Surge are releasing this month. Don't know whether I'll get this.. my backlog is huge already and I have to save up for some other games this Fall :(

I´ll wait for some mainstream reviews... I´m interested.

Can´t stand the art direction though. Yuck !

Edit: The male characters are decent enough...

anderedna

Sequel. Everywhere I've looked claims it as such, at least! Feel free to search around and see if there's anything debunking that claim, because I can't find anything to dispute that.

Thanks for answering. I guess I'll pick this up alongside Ar no Surge for September, and Tears to Tiara II in October as well.

Finally remembered to pre-order this. Was a bit worried that Advent Dark Force would be an improved / expanded version of the game, but the internet seems to agree that it's a sequel, so that's good enough for me.

TheChaos0

Why can games like this easily retain it's Jp voice overs, but Tales of or others can not. ��

Retaining voices often/always means, paying more money to the original cast/agency. Sometimes it's more difficult due to the original contracts. Or they don't care enough, while Compile Heart, NISA, Gust (when Koei took over, their next Atelier game didn't feature a JP VO, luckily they have realised that keeping things as they were would be better) do.

A game immediately has my interest if it contains at least one of these three things;

1. Transforming
2. Combining
3. Wielder/Weapon partner dynamics

And this game has 2 of those checked off.

Nice to see (at least according to the Tay review) that the worst to expect is a drop in framerate. I've been impressed by Compile Heart's improvement through the years.

SerTapTap

My LE shipped too. Finishing up Neptunia after just finishing up FFX a week prior so I'm not sure I have enough RPG juice left to play it day one

Volcynika

Game shipped and should be here tomorrow! I will probably be streaming it too (will link in the thread when I start). Looking forward to it.

kiryogi

Banned
Why can games like this easily retain it's Jp voice overs, but Tales of or others can not. 😕

Tales is steadily improving too. It was probably too late down the line for Xillia 2, but Symphonia Collection had it. Hearts is JP audio only, and Zestiria could be dual audio too. At this point the only real naysayer nowadays is Atlus, even Square Enix offers it, out of our own pockets but at least they do!

kaiju

Got mine today. Gotta say I'm very impressed with NIS right now. Their customer service is fantastic, and they gave me free 2-day priority shipping so I was able to get the game a day before release.

Not to mention this is a fantastic LE! The beanie went to my 6-year old daughter, she loves it.

Top Bottom