• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairy Fencer F |OT| - ** The First Galapagos RPG Comes West! **

To add to that, if anyone can post spoiler free instructions on how to get all the endings that would be great. I would browse gamefaqs but I imagine it's mostly a minefield since the game has been out in Japan for so long.

SerTapTap

Got yelled at for pulling a sword out of the VIle God--I REALLY wanted that Change Enemies thing though. I assume just pulling one does nothing.

Uh, in case anyone else didn't notice, go to Battle Options > Weapon Boost and spend weapons. Got about...4 hours into the game before I noticed that. It's actually really important.

Is there supposed to be some way to know how powerful the monsters Lola finds for you are? So far every one I've tried has just been far too powerful for the current point I'm at.

To add to that, if anyone can post spoiler free instructions on how to get all the endings that would be great. I would browse gamefaqs but I imagine it's mostly a minefield since the game has been out in Japan for so long.

I am assuming there's just a Vile God and Goddess ending but I may well be wrong, I'm hiding from spoilers too.

Got yelled at for pulling a sword out of the VIle God--I REALLY wanted that Change Enemies thing though. I assume just pulling one does nothing.

Uh, in case anyone else didn't notice, go to Battle Options > Weapon Boost and spend weapons. Got about...4 hours into the game before I noticed that. It's actually really important.

Is there supposed to be some way to know how powerful the monsters Lola finds for you are? So far every one I've tried has just been far too powerful for the current point I'm at.

I am assuming there's just a Vile God and Goddess ending but I may well be wrong, I'm hiding from spoilers too.

You should be able to defeat all of Lola's subevent monsters as they become available. Here's an early game tip, learn Heal/Cure (restore 30% of HP) and Mega Heal/Cure (restore 50% of HP) for Tiara immediately. Let Fang tank and keep his HP up with Tiara. This got me through all of them until I was strong enough to not need as much healing.

I actually did find out what the endings are. I'll detail them below and how to get them. I'll keep it as spoiler free as I can.

There are three endings,
Tiara ending
Eryn ending
and the
Normal ending

Just to be safe, watch all of
Tiara and Eryn's
subevents as they become available. From what I've found out, it's decided
at one specific point late in the game. This occurs when Paiga (nervous glasses guy) visits you at the inn and requests that you come to Zepperia Valley (source indicates the location name might be different in English). At this point there will be two subevents available for Tiara and Eryn where you can talk to them.

To get the Tiara ending, watch Tiara's subevent. If you watch both Tiara and Eryn's, Tiara's ending will take priority.

To get the Eryn ending, watch ONLY Eryn's subevent. Do not watch Tiara's subevent. It will be available for some time afterwards so make sure not to view it by accident if you want to get Eryn's ending.

To get the Normal ending, do not watch Tiara or Eryn's subevents.

I should also note that there are two missable party members in this game. Without some preparation you are pretty much guaranteed to miss the first one at least.

Explaining how to get them pretty much spoils who they are so I'm putting it all in spoiler tags.

Steps for First Character.
1. After defeating Appolonius at Zawaza Valley (FIRST ENCOUNTER) keep checking Zelwind city for an eventual subevent where you will encounter a girl named Emily. She will give you an amulet (key item).
2. Grind Fang to level 40 (I've heard conflicting reports of level 35 instead of 40, I personally grinded to 40 and got him but the missable character comes in at level 35 so it may be the case that you only need to be level 35. What you can do is try it at level 35 and if that doesn't work then you'll need to grind to 40.
3. Fight Appolonius at Zawaza Valley (SECOND ENCOUNTER).
4. Right after step 3 a lava dungeon will be made available. At the end of it Fang will remember that he has Emily's amulet and will return to Zawaza Valley automatically.
5. Fight Appolonius again (THIRD ENCOUNTER). This will automatically occur after reaching the end of the lava dungeon in step 4.
6. Congratulations, if you've done the above then the first missable character will join your party.

Steps for Second Character
1. Frequently check Zelwind city for Lola subevents.
2. Complete all of Lola's subevent Fury quests as they become available. Do not miss any of them.
3. If you've done the above the second character should join towards the end of the game.

Now getting the first character can be tough on a first playthrough since it requires you to level up a bit. Here's what I did to get to level 40 (or 35 if that ends up working out for you). This might be a little long so I'll tag it too.

If you've been doing all of Lola's subevents you should have plenty of Fairies for this. Basically go to the Godly Sanctuary place and look for Furies (DOT NOT USE EIGAR FOR THIS) that have World Shaping effects like "EXP +30%". I personally had 3 different Fairies with "EXP +30%" World Shaping effects on them making for a total of +90% more EXP (one or two of these I got off of the Vile God). The fairies Reed and Nelly have EXP +2 so equip one of those on Fang (level them up if they haven't learned that skill yet). After you have a bunch of fairies with the EXP World Shaping effects on them continue until you reach Zawaza Valley again (SECOND TIME). Place your EXP Fairy furies on Zawaza Valley before you enter.

Equip the fairy Eigar (ice dragon looking thing) to Tiara. Eventually it learns "Post Battle SP+", one of the most OP skills in the game imo. You can keep using Tiara to heal to keep the grind going. IF you want to make this go even faster work towards learning "Maelstrom" magic for Tiara. With this you can eventually one shot all the enemy groups (use L2 to skip spell animation). Maelstrom costs 300SP and Post Battle SP+ will recover around 290-300 SP at the end of every battle. This means your SP will not run out and you can go around one shotting battles with Tiara to make the grind pretty fast. Repeat this (should take a few hours) until Fang reaches level 35 (or 40 if 35 doesn't work).

That should be everything.

So I finally finished the game yesterday. I have some thoughts on it, and there will be some ending spoilers in there so I'll spoiler tag those portions.

First off I enjoyed the game a lot. The cast was humorous and varied. Fang was a great protagonist both in terms of the humour he brought to the table and also how he went through some growth over the course of the game. Gameplay mechanics were competently handled and using Fairize was a lot of fun for those mid-battle powerups.

I mostly ignored the sidequests and just focused on Lola's subevents that reward you with Fairies for completing them (the trick here is to exit a new dungeon immediately to make them pop up). I managed to
recruit Appolonius
but somehow missed a few of Lola's subevents so I didn't
get her
unfortunately.

Now on to the endings,
I'll talk about the Normal one first. Suffice to say this is the most depressing of the endings for Fang. The world returns to normal and everyone parts ways on their own journeys. However, in this ending Fang and Eryn share a bittersweet farewell as she returns to the Goddess. As a result her memories and feelings for Fang disappear as well but she manages to express how much she loves him before disappearing entirely. Afterwards Tiara thanks Fang for all that he's done and leaves to start her own journey leaving Fang to himself.

Next up is
Tiara's ending. This one isn't as bad as the normal ending since Fang and Tiara end up travelling together instead of alone. However, Eryn still "dies" in this ending. Honestly I really liked Fang and Eryn's dynamic and how their bond developed over the course of the story. So it was still heartbreaking to see that she's the only one who disappears in the ending that players are most likely to get just by playing the game.

And lastly is
Eryn's ending. I think this is really the best possible outcome for the story. It's the same as the others in that the world returns to normal and everyone goes on their separate journeys. However in this ending Tiara leaves on her own journey (albeit on an upbeat note at being able to pursue her own destiny). And while Fang is standing (looks like on the Sol Plains) wondering what to do Eryn appears before him. In this ending Fang's desire to have Eryn by his side was a strong enough wish that the Goddess was able to grant it. What follows is them expressing how much they care for each other and how they'll be able to live as one now, Fairy and Fencer. The game alludes to Fencers and fairies falling in love and this strikes me as the most appropriate considering their bond.

Honestly,
Eryn's ending imo is the canon ending, in her ending everyone lives happily where as in the others Fang and/or Eryn get shafted.

Actually that's kind of why I'm worried about the coming sequel, Fairy Fencer F: Dark Advent Force.
Assuming that Fang will be reprising role in the story I'm going to be pissed if Eryn isn't with him. Just because I hate seeing two characters grow together over the course of a story only for them to be ripped away from each other in the end. That's why I think that if Fang is in the sequel Eryn is most likely going to come back as well since Fang can't fight without her (since Furies/Fairies grant power that a normal weapon can't).

That's why I'm going to be biting at the bit to see what information gets revealed in terms of playable characters for the sequel.

Volcynika

How do you learn Heal/Cure for Tiara? Maybe I missed something. D: I just finished the first dungeon you go to after recruiting Harley.

How do you learn Heal/Cure for Tiara? Maybe I missed something. D: I just finished the first dungeon you go to after recruiting Harley.

Go to weapon boost in the menu for Tiara and you can find it under the Magic section.

Wait what?
How short is the game?
This is great news for me since I don't much time due to my backlog.

It took me around 23-25 hours to beat. That includes a couple hours of grinding to get the first miss-able character.

I'm seriously pining for that sequel now.

Volcynika

Go to weapon boost in the menu for Tiara and you can find it under the Magic section.

It took me around 23-25 hours to beat. That includes a couple hours of grinding to get the first miss-able character.

I'm seriously pining for that sequel now.

This is what I get for not noticing things in the menu. I go in the weapon boost stuff every now and then and missed that.

This is what I get for not noticing things in the menu. I go in the weapon boost stuff every now and then and missed that.

Yeah, all of your skills/magic/abilities are learned through Weapon Boost.

Leveling up just increases your HP and stats (parameters like physical/magical attack/defense can be improved further with Weapon Boost as well).

SerTapTap

You should be able to defeat all of Lola's subevent monsters as they become available. Here's an early game tip, learn Heal/Cure (restore 30% of HP) and Mega Heal/Cure (restore 50% of HP) for Tiara immediately. Let Fang tank and keep his HP up with Tiara. This got me through all of them until I was strong enough to not need as much healing.

I guess they just take hours to whittle down HP? Maybe it's because I hadn't spent my WP yet (oops) but they took barely any damage at all from my attacks and did nearly 50% of HP per-hit.

I guess they just take hours to whittle down HP? Maybe it's because I hadn't spent my WP yet (oops) but they took barely any damage at all from my attacks and did nearly 50% of HP per-hit.

I don't think any of them lasted longer than 15-20 minutes for me. The early ones are the hardest but with proper placement and healing you can take them down.

Make sure to buy the Combo Count increase in Weapon Boost. That adds quite a bit to your overall damage. Make sure to use Fairize as well since that provides a stat/damage boost.

It gets easier down the road imo. You'll make some close calls early on but it will become more manage-able as you level up and get stronger.

SerTapTap

I don't think any of them lasted longer than 15-20 minutes for me. The early ones are the hardest but with proper placement and healing you can take them down.

Make sure to buy the Combo Count increase in Weapon Boost. That adds quite a bit to your overall damage. Make sure to use Fairize as well since that provides a stat/damage boost.

It gets easier down the road imo. You'll make some close calls early on but it will become more manage-able as you level up and get stronger.

Yeah I was planning on waiting until at least combo +2 to do them, only have +1 for now. I noticed her price went up and I got a different monster than my first failed attempt--is that fairy gone for good now or is it random?

Yeah I was planning on waiting until at least combo +2 to do them, only have +1 for now. I noticed her price went up and I got a different monster than my first failed attempt--is that fairy gone for good now or is it random?

You mean you failed and paid for info again some time afterward?

Every time you pay her it's for the next subevent in the chain. I'd recommend you complete them as soon as you can because they will disappear as you proceed with the story. You will lose that fairy for good if you let the event pass by. I think the best way to make sure you don't miss any is exit a new dungeon as soon as you enter and check the town. That's usually when they will pop up.

SerTapTap

You mean you failed and paid for info again some time afterward?

Every time you pay her it's for the next subevent in the chain. I'd recommend you complete them as soon as you can because they will disappear as you proceed with the story. You will lose that fairy for good if you let the event pass by. I think the best way to make sure you don't miss any is exit a new dungeon as soon as you enter and check the town. That's usually when they will pop up.

Definitely missed one or more, probably more. Oh well. I got a game over my first attempt (and saved before I ever took that mission) so I'm definitely behind

So I just finished reloading my save file before the ending split and got the ending that I'm most comfortable with. If you're wondering which one that is you can check my last big spoilered post (assuming you've beaten the game or don't mind reading ending spoilers). I really enjoyed this game a lot more than I thought I would.

Now I can rest.

Definitely missed one or more, probably more. Oh well. I got a game over my first attempt (and saved before I ever took that mission) so I'm definitely behind

If it makes you feel better I missed two of them.

The frame rate in this game is painful. It's like 15 fps during every dungeon. Just embarrassingly bad.

I hope they fix that with the PS4 sequel (Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force).

SerTapTap

Okay, I bumbled my way through my first optional Fury boss fight (3 of those evil snail things), only because Tiara took basically no damage for some reason. Everyone else died.

I like Fang more as the story's gone on, he's not as annoying as the first cutscene makes him look at least.

The frame rate in this game is painful. It's like 15 fps during every dungeon. Just embarrassingly bad.

I can't tell if I've gotten used to it or later dungeons are better, but the first area felt by far the worst (and I still notice when I revisit). I didn't even notice in the first "village" area that...looked nothing like a village but whatever.

Did Amano only design the Vile God and the logo? He didn't do any of the enemies?

Sorcery Saga felt a lot more polished than this, so far. Funnier writing, too.

What happens if you start pulling Furies out of the Vile God?

SerTapTap

Did Amano only design the Vile God and the logo? He didn't do any of the enemies?

Sorcery Saga felt a lot more polished than this, so far. Funnier writing, too.

What happens if you start pulling Furies out of the Vile God?

Do we know what all he did exactly? The OST cover is sick as hell, but I'm not seeing much else that seems to have clearly been his work. I haven't looked through the artbook yet (I'm always terrified of hurting the spine) but character designs are definitely...whoever always does compile heart characters.

As for Vile God, (barely spoiler worthy, pulled out one fury)
you get yelled at for the first one (change enemies was too good a fury to ignore, it's vital in Neptunia Victory and Rebirth anyway), haven't done more than that.

What does
change enemies
do, exactly?

Yeah, the characters seem to all have the typical moe look that Neptunia designs seem to have. I think the character designer goes by the pseudonym Tsunako?

I should have paid more attention before getting this game, I was expecting something a bit more polished, given Amano and Uematsu's involvement. I like the battle system a lot though.

Volcynika

^

That's not bad really as in a spoiler-ish thing, but spoiler tagging with no context sucks!

That skill
just changes enemies that show up in an area

Volcynika

Re: that skill
does it change enemies into higher level versions of themselves?

It happens on some dungeons (like the first lava/fire dungeon, the bugs are there but just more powerful). It just also changes the enemy types that spawn in the area. Like the very first dungeon/map (where you meet Tiara) you don't see any of the enemies that are in there by default.

SerTapTap

What does
change enemies
do, exactly?

Yeah, the characters seem to all have the typical moe look that Neptunia designs seem to have. I think the character designer goes by the pseudonym Tsunako?

I should have paid more attention before getting this game, I was expecting something a bit more polished, given Amano and Uematsu's involvement. I like the battle system a lot though.

Yeah, after Victory and Rebirth I was really expecting better polish. Will be interested to see how their PS4 stuff fairs, I know the PS3 isn't the most fun thing for a small/cheap team to work on. It's not terrible though IMO, either the framerate improved or I stopped noticing. I do dislike the blur and everything being bloomy, would appreciate cleaner lines.

What do the symbols in the combo things do BTW? Like there's upward launch, there's a big red arrow, two small green arrows...is it like rush/break/power from Neptunia (break doesn't seem to be a factor here?) or does it affect different monsters differently like the sword/glaive/etc do? I need to farm WP or something to get more out of the battle system.

Yeah, after Victory and Rebirth I was really expecting better polish. Will be interested to see how their PS4 stuff fairs, I know the PS3 isn't the most fun thing for a small/cheap team to work on. It's not terrible though IMO, either the framerate improved or I stopped noticing. I do dislike the blur and everything being bloomy, would appreciate cleaner lines.

Yeah, I understand that they're a small team and that it's almost miraculous that we're getting these niche titles in the US at all (which is why I almost always buy them at launch, as a way of supporting the publishers), but still...I don't think it's too much to ask for a stable 30 fps while exploring the map.

I'm not sure what the symbols do either...off to GameFAQs, hope I don't get too spoiled. XD

What do the symbols in the combo things do BTW? Like there's upward launch, there's a big red arrow, two small green arrows...is it like rush/break/power from Neptunia (break doesn't seem to be a factor here?) or does it affect different monsters differently like the sword/glaive/etc do? I need to farm WP or something to get more out of the battle system.

Red symbol is just straight damage I think. The blue one is launch and the green ones pursue the enemy in the air to do a bit of extra damage if you used it right after a launching (blue) attack. Enemies have different weaknesses so it's good to fit a few different weapons on your combo bars. Hitting enemies with their weakness can trigger an avalanche attack so your other party members can combo right after.

I think it's great that they're able to make a profit on these lower budget games. After you hear so many stories of developers making games that sell a lot but still fail it's good to see someone who's got the right balance.

Yeah, I understand that they're a small team and that it's almost miraculous that we're getting these niche titles in the US at all (which is why I almost always buy them at launch, as a way of supporting the publishers), but still...I don't think it's too much to ask for a stable 30 fps while exploring the map.

I'm not sure what the symbols do either...off to GameFAQs, hope I don't get too spoiled. XD

The FPS seems to vary depending on the area. In some it's pretty bad, like sub 20FPS and others it's pretty smooth and closer to 60 but those areas are few. This is something I'm hoping they can finally fix for the PS4 game. Compile Heart I guess is an example of low-mid budget tier games not being completely dead.

For the record I like Tsunako's art. It tends to be pretty colourful and she has enough idiosyncrasies in her style that I look forward to seeing what she comes up with next.

SeZMehK

I read this somewhere and I was wondering if it was true:

Somewhere in the game, you lose everything and you start over from scratch (except levels)?

HGH

Banned
This is an absolutely dumb question but...
What the heck is Galdo's accent? I can't for the life of me figure it out (or his VA) even though I know I should recognize it.

This game's pretty neat though. People said it's a recycled Victory but really, there's enough differences that I wouldn't say so. I do like how attacks and skills work (with the Weapon Boosts and all).

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I'm really liking this game. The graphical issues are pretty big and if you're excepting huge sprawling cities with NPCs and overworlds and all that jazz...well, you're probably not used to playing budget games. But the writing and voice acting are pretty good, getting a laugh out of me pretty regularly, and the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously but still has some pretty heavy and dark moments means the writing was good enough to make you roll with the silliness. The combat is pretty fun too, tho amusingly with all the tutorials I still somehow missed that I needed to upgrade my combo shit first to unlock more hits. Really like the characters too.

So yeah, all in all I think this is actually a pretty good game. Which is surprising given their track record.

SerTapTap

BzHopb6CEAAenJT.png

I'm Deathinitely enjoying it too. It's hardly surprising though, it's about on part with Victory in most ways, performance is a bit worse. Hopefully their PS4 games don't suffer from that though.

What is Galdo's accent? It's like Irish if you didn't know what an Irish accent is supposed to sound like eh.

Stuart444

I'm loving the game, rather slow at the start but it gets better imo.

I've been going at it slowly due to health reasons but having had a good amount of time to play it, I'm more than half way (estimated) and should be finished it in a few days.

After that, it's onto the other niche JRPG I have sitting here, Ar nosurge :D.

Probably won't platinum the game though, trophies look like a grind. Would probably just platinum it if I got really bored or something.

HGH

Banned
BzHopb6CEAAenJT.png

I'm Deathinitely enjoying it too. It's hardly surprising though, it's about on part with Victory in most ways, performance is a bit worse. Hopefully their PS4 games don't suffer from that though.

What is Galdo's accent? It's like Irish if you didn't know what an Irish accent is supposed to sound like eh.

I mentioned it above eh. It's some weird sorta Canadian eh. He even says "aboot"!
Eh.

So is it me or...are some party members whose names won't be mentioned useless? One for being way too late and one as a dick move by the plot I feel.

SerTapTap

I mentioned it above eh. It's some weird sorta Canadian eh. He even says "aboot"!
Eh.

So is it me or...are some party members whose names won't be mentioned useless? One for being way too late and one as a dick move by the plot I feel.

Oh, "good" to hear Compile Heart still hasn't learned that giving you party members extremely late is lame. That's a common problem in the Neptunia games, often don't have the entire party at one time until the last chapter.. Haven't gotten super far yet so I'm not sure what you're referring to yet though.

HGH

Banned
It's after the part you screenshotted.

At least Neptunia had the decency to have universal EXP share. Here you gotta purchase Learning with WP for everyone not in the active party.

Tohsaka

I really enjoyed the game, aside from the shit framerate. I got all the endings and intend to go back and get the platinum trophy at some point.

New fairies I think (it explicitly states they can't be used for Godly Revival).

I finished and got all the endings. Got like half the trophies but I don't feel like grinding for the other half.

fedexpeon

Banned
Game is really fun due to the characters.
Story is very laughable but enjoyable.

Eryn ending is true ending right?
The story makes a lot more sense with how the story is focused on the power of wish in the beginning, and of course, the ending with Eryn.

Stuart444

The story makes a lot more sense with how the story is focused on the power of wish in the beginning, and of course, the ending with Eryn.

I thought Tiara end was true ending due to if you do ALL options (as in talk to both Eryn and Tiara), you get her ending.

I suppose we'll find out when the sequel comes out?

The game was fun, in a low budget, janky way, but I'll admit I played much of it on mute while I did other things (farming for items for quests, most of which I ended up giving up on).

For the PS4 game, they definitely need to get that frame rate locked at 30FPS. Actual cut scenes utilizing the in-game models would be great too, instead of the still images from a visual novel. I can understand using those in towns, but not for dungeons or boss fights.

I understand that these are very low budget games, but I still expected slightly more. The Uematsu and Amano contributions were very minimal (one music track and the Vile God design), so I felt like the game misrepresented itself. That said, I actually really liked the music, even if it wasn't by Uematsu. I hope Amano does more in the sequel, though - maybe have him design all the bosses?

If it sounds like I'm totally slamming the game, I don't mean to. It's a solid 6/10 game, despite its flaws. I think most JRPG fans will enjoy it.

I think after Sorcery Saga and the last Neptunia, my expectations were a little too high.

Stuart444

The game was fun, in a low budget, janky way, but I'll admit I played much of it on mute while I did other things (farming for items for quests, most of which I ended up giving up on).

For the PS4 game, they definitely need to get that frame rate locked at 30FPS. Actual cut scenes utilizing the in-game models would be great too, instead of the still images from a visual novel. I can understand using those in towns, but not for dungeons or boss fights.

In their defense, they did do some short in-game style cutscenes which was more than I expected. I guess they were experimenting with it so I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that in the next game.

And on the PS4, I'd be surprised if the frame rate is as bad as it was in this one.

Eryn ending is more consistent with Fang's character.
In Tiara's ending he does a complete turn in the opposite direction as far as his motivation goes. He wishes so hard for Tiara that he goes back in time but he doesn't do the same for Eryn? It also doesn't address the whole Eryn's life being fused with his thing.

But we'll just have to wait for more information on the sequel to see which ending they go with.

fedexpeon

Banned
Eryn ending is more consistent with Fang's character.
In Tiara's ending he does a complete turn in the opposite direction as far as his motivation goes. He wishes so hard for Tiara that he goes back in time but he doesn't do the same for Eryn? It also doesn't address the whole Eryn's life being fused with his thing.

But we'll just have to wait for more information on the sequel to see which ending they go with.

Yup, Fang wouldn't just sit there and not making that final wish.
The Goddess has omnipotence power for goodness sake...shrug, that extra bit of Tiara scene with Eryn makes no sense within the story context/lore, and Fang's character.
Getting Tiara ending means that the game was a waste of time since everything fell apart at the end.

There is a planned sequel for this game?

Stuart444

Yup, Fang wouldn't just sit there and not making that final wish.
The Goddess has omnipotence power for goodness sake...shrug, that extra bit of Tiara scene with Eryn makes no sense within the story context/lore, and Fang's character.
Getting Tiara ending means that the game was a waste of time since everything fell apart at the end.

There is a planned sequel for this game?

The PS4 game is a sequel with a little bit from the PS3 game (a reminder type of thing)

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/1...-dark-force-isnt-port-includes-part-ps3-game/

Norihisa Kochiwa, head of development at Compile Heart and the Otomate brand, said to Siliconera that Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force is not a port of the PlayStation 3 game that comes out in North America and Europe this week. A part of Fairy Fencer F will be included in Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force so newcomers can jump into the series and follow the storyline.

Top Bottom