• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

I love Madness and The Specials. I saw The Specials in a small venue a few years ago and it was packed with guys in their fourties reliving their youth but man the energy in that place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54P73w-dhHk

This was at that gig I was at. Look at these guys jumping, there I was with my 19 years old at the time :p

Toa TAK

Banned
pretty nice stuff

adventure20time20-20ly5usm.jpg

It's been awhile since I've watched that show.

And everyone should go see The Lego Movie.

I love Madness and The Specials. I saw The Specials in a small venue a few years ago and it was packed with guys in their fourties reliving their youth but man the energy in that place.

This was at that gig I was at. Look at these guys jumping, there I was with my 19 years old at the time :p

aw yiss! you're the man linius!
both bands.so.fucking.awesome. madness never fail to cheer me up
1<3
2<3
3<3

AcridMeat

Banned

Both are absolute legends! That looks like an amazingly fun show. My first concert ever was full of people around that age but in denim and leather. :)

Story time with my introduction to ska music. I watched Baseketball with my sister as a little boy and Reel Big Fish was a performer at the big league in that movie I guess. I made her pause it on the credits so I could find out it was them and buy a CD. Now I didn't know how to search for more music at that time to find more ska music, so I just listened to the CD I bought all the time.

Fast forward maybe a year or two later and I was using yahoo's music streaming service a fair amount. It was basically like an early form of pandora so I had put in Reel Big Fish and this song by Mustard Plug came on. I was old enough then, and using the internet that it was the catalyst in searching deep into ska and punk music.

Are you familiar with The English Beat as well? These guys are fun too :D

And I would really like to see Madness live some day. They're still out and about so I will get my change I hope.

I'm not. will check them out though!
yeah I know, so awesome *o*
also this is obligatory (I know acrid will agree)

Shit I missed some quotes. Robot, I don't consider SM ska-punk, just ska so still unsure. :D I loved ska-punk in middle/high school. Those were my two main genres.

Hah, fair enough. Just like stuff in the Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake mould. I brought up Streetlight 'cause they do have some songs that fall more on the punx side of things like Watch It Crash, but I suppose 3rd wave ska would be more apt.

I dunno. This also filters out BtMI who are fucking great. I genuinely think Jeff Rosenstock is the most interesting active musician. Dood don't give a fuck.

Also I'm getting a load of eczema on my foot. What the fuck, I haven't been having anything that should cause it to flare up :C

Linius

Finding new music in the pre internet era, going to the record store to listen to new records :p

My uncle is a big fan of The Specials and he introduced it to me. He also introduced me to stuff like Radiohead, Interpol and a lot of good hiphop like the native tongue movement. On top of that he's a gamer and he collects comics. So yeah, he's totally cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbUW2EY4KE

This one is from their most essential album "I Just Can't Stop It".

AcridMeat

Banned
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

You'll be proud, I was listening to the Moon Invaders yesterday. Let alone now.
You'd have no choice.

iXFk1RqFr44PT.gif
zAZYj0j.gif

Hah, fair enough. Just like stuff in the Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake mould. I brought up Streetlight 'cause they do have some songs that fall more on the punx side of things like Watch It Crash, but I suppose 3rd wave ska would be more apt.

I dunno. This also filters out BtMI who are fucking great. I genuinely think Jeff Rosenstock is the most interesting active musician. Dood don't give a fuck.
Fair point. As much as I love Streetlight, I think I prefer Catch 22. Keasbey Nights is just an incredible album.
Finding new music in the pre internet era, going to the record store to listen to new records :p

My uncle is a big fan of The Specials and he introduced it to me. He also introduced me to stuff like Radiohead, Interpol and a lot of good hiphop like the native tongue movement. On top of that he's a gamer and he collects comics. So yeah, he's totally cool.
Haha I know. But I was around 10 at the time, I used my "ask parents to get me this" for video games and cards, so no money for music.

On a similar note as your uncle, my sister is why I was into Bad Religion, No Doubt and RHCP's early stuff. It was so awesome visiting her last year and putting on Descendents and she was jamming along too. She got to see them live here. D:

edit: Clydefrog I don't see why that would be an issue. You're a messed up guy. :D

Windam

Scaley member
Kills me every time I see it. Have it saved and bookmarked on my phone for when I feel like making people uncomfortable.

Fair point. As much as I love Streetlight, I think I prefer Catch 22. Keasbey Nights is just an incredible album.

Ironically, being a fan of punk and all, I can sometimes get a bit a production whorey, so I prefer the Streetlight version of Keasbey. Haven't listened to either in years though. Everything Went Numb and Somewhere In The Between are awesome though, I probably prefer both of them to Keasbey. Need to listen to the new one more.

They're all fantastic though.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm taking it super slow at work today. I'm tired, it's Friday and I'm cold.

I can't wait until I get home so I can sleepppppp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbUW2EY4KE

This one is from their most essential album "I Just Can't Stop It".

just checked them out myself + I dig them, thanks for the recommendation :D

also your uncle sounds a lot like my dad.
as I see it this thread is for rude boys and gals now:
buster
doreen<3
mr. review
bad manners
hotknives<3

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

You'll be proud, I was listening to the Moon Invaders yesterday. Let alone now.

aw was just about to link them too :D
congo square still the bomb :3

I wanna go ska dancing now :c

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBoiX

Acrid, I got back ages ago, post is on the last page. This thread is just moving 100mph! I'm working my way through this crazy amount of music!

Edit: repost for new page, because I'm just that egotistical!

Whoa, much music to listen to!

Lorn (my autocorrect just changed it to Korn, fuck you phone!) was badass Acrid, bass in my face.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Madness and The Specials either, smile music if ever I heard it. Ska in general is just good feels!

Hmm, I dunno, some random links:

The Kills - Fried My Little Brains

The Meters - Hey Pocky A-Way

Non-Phixion - Black Helicopters

Lianne La Havas - Tease Me

Cinemechanica - Hero/Protagonist

Kojak - You Can't Stop It

NinjaBoiX

I never fail to be amused by an Acrid photo. The man with a thousand faces!

Robo, I knew Alison was in a band called Discount, I've just never checked them out. I dunno, it was OK, I just love The Kills man, they sweat cool and swagger.

Imma post my fav track, because it's splendid and less than two minutes long. I know you like short tracks!

The Kills - M.E.X.I.C.O
I very rarely type this, but <3.

Linius

I hate it that I still haven't seen The Strokes. They haven't been here since God knows when. Only thing I got was a solo gig from Julian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom