• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So I should ignore dialogue segments?
Yes.
Oshii said:
Whether I'm interested in philosophy or not, the answer will be yes. As to why I use quotes from many famous philosophers the answer to that is that I want to prove how unimportant the dialogs are to a movie. In GIS 2 you don't really have to listen to any of the dialog, it's just part of the many details in the movie and you don't have to pay any attention to a lot of the dialog in order to understand and appreciate the movie.

Branduil

Do you not think that people like Batou and Togusa, given their occupations and such, would be slightly more educated and higher minded than average people?

Why do you think that he was trying to show off how intelligent he is? Did you feel threatened by the quotes? For what its worth, Oshii has said that the quotes were there for the sound, their aural qualities, not any particularly meaning important to the core of the movie. Not that I believe they're meaningless, but I believe they're secondary to the message that the visuals and happenings of the film carry.

I don't know if I can think of any occupation where people would converse mainly through philosophical quotes. But I don't think dialogue necessarily needs to be realistic.

Whether I'm interested in philosophy or not, the answer will be yes. As to why I use quotes from many famous philosophers the answer to that is that I want to prove how unimportant the dialogs are to a movie. In GIS 2 you don't really have to listen to any of the dialog, it's just part of the many details in the movie and you don't have to pay any attention to a lot of the dialog in order to understand and appreciate the movie.

LOL Oshii quotes always make me laugh.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't know if I can think of any occupation where people would converse mainly through philosophical quotes. But I don't think dialogue necessarily needs to be realistic.
Well, I think given the setting and theme, it'd be more realistic for people to be interested in those philosophical topics too.

Cyberpunk futures make you think and stuff!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is funny. Alright so for any future movie then he should cut out all dialogue. Not even "Who are you" like in Angel's Egg. No dialogue whatsoever.
I'd watch it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is funny. Alright so for any future movie then he should cut out all dialogue. Not even "Who are you" like in Angel's Egg. No dialogue whatsoever.
Why? It's part of the audio.

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying. But that does sound like a good movie.

duckroll

Well, I think given the setting and theme, it'd be more realistic for people to be interested in those philosophical topics too.

Cyberpunk futures make you think and stuff!

I don't really think it's particularly believable or realistic that two characters who are basically swat team members would spend their down time during an operation to exchange quotes, BUT I do think that the cyberpunk setting in GitS does create an environment where self-education out of boredom is more likely.

The network world and cyberbrain themes do suggest that if someone were bored enough and wanted to, they could just sit back, close their eyes, and immerse themselves in a particular topic of interest, much like what we do online these days, but in a more intimate fashion.

Looks like another terrible season.
Brother.
Only for lazy artists:

FSSFaces3.jpg
At least KEYface and the like are hilarious. That...thing...is just unsettling.
Glad I'm not the only one who gets creeped out by Sawako. From what I've watched, it seems less pronounced in the second season, but I guess it comes back with a vengeance!
So did you ever join me on the thorny path of Aunt Tits?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't really think it's particularly believable or realistic that two characters who are basically swat team members would spend their down time during an operation to exchange quotes, BUT I do think that the cyberpunk setting in GitS does create an environment where self-education out of boredom is more likely.

The network world and cyberbrain themes do suggest that if someone were bored enough and wanted to, they could just sit back, close their eyes, and immerse themselves in a particular topic of interest, much like what we do online these days, but in a more intimate fashion.
That's true as well. I mean, I do similar things myself on the internet like you said. Just read about interesting things to pass the time. Things like the networks and cyberbrains would make accessing information quicker than ever, and even easier to digest.

Jarmel

Banned
Having dialogue in Wall-E ruined it for me. I liked the distorted talk from EVE and the odd noises from Wall-E.

The first half of Wally-E was the best half. That said, there is a role for dialogue in movies, just not all movies. When you have people interacting though, dialogue serves a pretty distinct purpose.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The first half of Wally-E was the best half. That said, there is a role for dialogue in movies, just not all movies. When you have people interacting though, dialogue serves a pretty distinct purpose.

The movie needed more EVE and Wall-E time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON!! 26
dat entire last sequence was :firehawk. Not as :firehawk as the one at the end of 24', but still :firehawk.
So what instrument is Jun going to play anyway? Since I'm guessing Ui and Azunyan are going to be the lead guitarists.

It does beg the question, who takes care of Ton-chan during the breaks?

K-ON!! FIN (4 realz this time(?))
So sweet, so cute. Saccharine at time, K-ON!! may seem like the ultimate in otaku-pandering bullshit to the untrained eyes. But going beyond the sometimes (almost always) shady merchandising, what KyoAni did here was play up to the premise's potential. It almost seems hypocritical to praise season two for stuff that season one did as well, except... less rushed? There's an obvious difference in focus and quality storytelling here. The comedy is still at the forefront, but you realise by the end of the season's running that KyoAni managed to, with very little material, create something more meaningful out of it. It's something they would later try to achieve with Nichijou, but, in that case, it did not feel quite as moving because the relationships between the girls there are more eccentric due to the nature of its genre.
I don't want to say naysayers will be swayed over by season two, but I was a naysayer before. I found K-ON to be invariably banal and surreptitiously pervy. Looking at the cartoon with a more open-minded approach enabled me to truly see its slightly more admirable ambitions. Maybe I just grew up and am no longer trying to solidify my views on entertainment on its artistic merit like some kind of Andy Warhol critic. This is escapism fun with no commentary on human nature/the medium/whatever, but that doesn't make it any less memorable. Without even touching the very high production values, there's plenty in K-ON!! to satisfy someone just looking for a nice time. There may or may not have been plenty of other moéblob shows since then, and whether they succeeded or not, it's none of my business. In the end, it is all about Houkago Tea Time, and I sure will remember their fun antics for as long as anime continues to descend in its downward spiral of deviant mediocrity.
Overall: A
Story: B
Animation: A+
Art: A+
Music: A
+ Does everything the original show did, but better. It is the paragon of slice of life anime shows without any of the shameful otaku pervy bits that have permeated the medium for years.
− No K-ON!!!: Saved by the Bell: The College Years is in the works right now. :(

I give K-ON!! five Mugi's pickled radishes out of five, and an official Regulus Tera Seal of Approval For One of the Best Animez of All Time™.
Now where the fuck is my Death Devil prequel? :mad:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-ON!! 26
dat entire last sequence was :firehawk. Not as :firehawk as the one at the end of 24', but still :firehawk.
So what instrument is Jun going to play anyway? Since I'm guessing Ui and Azunyan are going to be the lead guitarists.

It does beg the question, who takes care of Ton-chan during the breaks?
Movie time!
Death Devil makes an appearance!

And Jun plays Bass. She's a Mio-fangirl after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom