• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be impossible to do a stereoscopic film with traditional animation, just look at the Studio 4C and SHAFT Kid Icarus shorts. But really, if he wanted to do 3D that badly, I think he should have chosen an aesthetic more fitting for the medium.

I mean, for a recent example, just look at the .hack//The Movie trailer. The designs have a clear anime feel, but it's shaded and animated in a way that takes advantage of computer-generated animation's strengths. I don't think it's the best-looking thing ever but it sure looks a whole lot better than that 009 Re:Cyborg movie.

I think you'll find that the .hack movie has "real world" character moments which look even worse than Re:Cyborg. The difference between the real world scenes trying to look "anime" and the in-game scenes looking "game CG" are even greater when in motion. So this is something all studios need to improve on, and not something exclusive to Re:Cyborg.

Some examples:

scZ8U.jpg

ddgnx.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amagami Chocolate Tears:

Man, after the dumb shit that was Don't Have Sex with Your Sister, I thought there was no way that Amagami Chocolate could top the dissonance between straight up melodrama and the stupidity of the scenario.

pB88xl.jpg

That is but a small taste of the nonsense in that finale. lol

But hey, if you can believe it, for you losing team (aka Kanna fans) out there,
friend-zone girl wins
. Go figure.

Branduil

I think you'll find that the .hack movie has "real world" character moments which look even worse than Re:Cyborg. The difference between the real world scenes trying to look "anime" and the in-game scenes looking "game CG" are even greater when in motion. So this is something all studios need to improve on, and not something exclusive to Re:Cyborg.

Some examples:

I dunno, I think all of those shots look better than Re:Cyborg except for maybe the first one. That second to last one is in the trailer and it looks better in motion than it does in that still.

That last shot actually looks pretty nice.

cajunator

Banned

Some examples:

The appearance of these is rather unsettling. Uncanny valley stuff.

Jex

Some examples:

I see they decided to go with the tradition of what I like to call "shiny band of light on hair that's supposed to suggest the existence of a specific piece of source lighting but which always looks very fake". I know, it's not very catchy:

62J3rl.jpg

scZ8U.jpg

It's the laziest way to try and have characters 'affected by lighting' around.

duckroll

I dunno, I think all of those shots look better than Re:Cyborg except for maybe the first one. That second to last one is in the trailer and it looks better in motion than it does in that still.

That last shot actually looks pretty nice.

I don't find them appealing at all though. I prefer the look Re:Cyborg, but the biggest thing that bothers me about some scenes in the Re:Cyborg trailers is the way the camera moves during non-action character scenes. I actually like the 3D designs, and I find the shading pretty great, especially because of the deep reds. But the camera movement can be unnatural at times, during the slow pans, and it feels like an amateur film rather than a blockbuster feature feel which they're going for.

As for the .hack real world scenes, I dislike pretty much all of them, the models, the designs, the layout, it all rubs me the wrong way. Like someone trying to do "simplified" anime slice of life designs but in 3D, and that just looks bad.

I guess we're looking at different preferences here, so.... it's a bit hard to objectify the debate at this point.

cajunator

Banned
I see they decided to go with the tradition of what I like to call "shiny band of light on hair that's supposed to suggest the existence of a specific piece of source lighting but which always looks very fake". I know, it's not very catchy:

62J3rl.jpg

scZ8U.jpg

It's the laziest way to try and have characters 'affected by lighting' around.

I always saw it as just "part of the anime look".

Jex

Also, not enough Parish Was Right shows this season. Disappointing. I guess firehawk12 watched them so hard that they died :(

Branduil

I don't find them appealing at all though. I prefer the look Re:Cyborg, but the biggest thing that bothers me about some scenes in the Re:Cyborg trailers is the way the camera moves during non-action character scenes. I actually like the 3D designs, and I find the shading pretty great, especially because of the deep reds. But the camera movement can be unnatural at times, during the slow pans, and it feels like an amateur film rather than a blockbuster feature feel which they're going for.

As for the .hack real world scenes, I dislike pretty much all of them, the models, the designs, the layout, it all rubs me the wrong way. Like someone trying to do "simplified" anime slice of life designs but in 3D, and that just looks bad.

I guess we're looking at different preferences here, so.... it's a bit hard to objectify the debate at this point.

Well, like I said, I don't think it looks altogether great or anything. I just think it looks better than Re:Cyborg, which isn't a terribly high watermark in my eyes.

The biggest problem with cel-shading is that it's inherently mathematical, and shading in traditional animation is anything but mathematical. Rather shading in traditional animation is based on whatever the animator feels will look good in that particular shot. The result is that it never looks quite right. One thing Black Rock Shooter did right was have the characters flat-shaded for the most part.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pff I guess, but it doesn't seem pedo enough.
Well it's no Papaki or
Usadrop
, but I think you will be surprised at just how pedo it can be.

Assuming it lives up to the manga.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shita!! Lite 01

A proper rewatch.

I like it. It's cute, non offensive and while this might not what the anime is gonna be like, I like what I saw. The character interactions are cool, with the girl whose imagination leaves her mind and the guy who puts up with all of this.

duckroll

Well, like I said, I don't think it looks altogether great or anything. I just think it looks better than Re:Cyborg, which isn't a terribly high watermark in my eyes.

The biggest problem with cel-shading is that it's inherently mathematical, and shading in traditional animation is anything but mathematical. Rather shading in traditional animation is based on whatever the animator feels will look good in that particular shot. The result is that it never looks quite right. One thing Black Rock Shooter did right was have the characters flat-shaded for the most part.

Sure, there's definitely a lot of room for improvements. As far as celshading goes for big anime films, we're still in an era of trial and error. I definitely won't give free passes to something just because it's a "growing tech", and I have no qualms with saying it needs to improve, but I'll rather take a positive stance on expressing that than a negative one.

Sure, there's definitely a lot of room for improvements. As far as celshading goes for big anime films, we're still in an era of trial and error. I definitely won't give free passes to something just because it's a "growing tech", and I have no qualms with saying it needs to improve, but I'll rather take a positive stance on expressing that than a negative one.

I certainly appreciate positivity.

Branduil

I see nothing positive about ugly films.

Now, movies that incorporate CGI in an effective way I have no problems praising.

Jex

Cute is the overriding factor concerning hidamari. that beast you posted is not cute and therefore irrelevant to this discussion.

Ah, but I'm not discussing Hidamarai or cuteness I'm discussing how you light your characters.

Haly

No, it wouldn't. She probably doesn't know about videogames to the same degree that the original author does.
Well, it is arguable that SAO would be better if it was a swords fantasy story rather than a self-insert justification of game addiction.

Jex

Well, it is arguable that SAO would be better if it was a swords fantasy story rather than a self-insert justification of game addiction.

I wouldn't say no to a real 'swords fantasy' show, but that's not what we have!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The more projects studios like Sanzigen work on of this nature, the more they will improve. Revenue and fame generated from having more prolific work will also attract better talent to such studios. This is one reason why I feel very strongly that while we should not give a free pass to bad 3D animation, it should be fair to support the spirit of the work, and give praise when it is earned.

3D animation is not some gimmick offspring industry which is going to break down and go away just because some people don't like it. It's here to stay, and it would better for everyone to be supportive of the growth and optimistic about raising standards with time, rather than be immature and silly about it.
Ah, duckroll trying to jinx 3D animation, just like how he jinxes every BONES cartoon ever.

Keep up the good work, ducky!

Haly

Alright alright, "juvenile mmo addict wish fulfilment melodramatic fantasy".

trejo

Binbougami ga! 13

It took some getting used to initially but I can safely say I'd watch a second season, if such a thing were to ever happen.

Jex

A certain
(un)
lucky animegaffer will eventually be the recipient of this grab-bag box of shit anime!

d3nzdla

WHAT MANNER OF DOOM DOES THIS BOX CONTAIN??????
I see that you managed to get a watch-shot in that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom