• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I felt bad when I posted it :( Now I feel worse :(

As you should.
When you repeatedly spout of quotes then all of them lose their meaning. In one case you had Togusa respond to a quote with his own quote. It's a case of the writer being less interested in actual real-life dialogue and instead more interested in trying to show off how intelligent he is. Even if the quotes do fit in regards to their actual meaning, you also have to assess the likelihood of an individual using it in everyday life. The quotes in this case are really artificial in its use as the dialogue seems to be written by someone with a philosophy background.

You fail to understand that, in the world of Gits everyone is plugged into the internet all the time. As such they can do the equivalent of reading from Wikipedia at any time!

I hate SAO, I hate the fact that it's dumb otaku wish fulfilment nonsense that barely holds itself together to form anything of a plot. I hate the fact that it feels like the show was designed by ticking boxes, rather than trying to tell a real story.

More than anything I hate the fact that it's incredibly popular, that so many people are so devoid of taste they mistake pyrite for gold. That anyone would call it "the smartest anime" and not burst out laughing immediately afterwards. That anime ranking lists would contain it, high up with real shows that could rival the best of live action. That newcomers would be told to step into it's world of mediocrity and have their standards forever poisoned by the sweet poison of a power fantasy.

SAO is a bad show, and you should probably feel bad if you think otherwise.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 12 (end)
tumblr_mb29xapyaQ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Such a good and fun anime that I will miss. Love, Elections, and Chocolate have never been so good and all our yaoi sticks :( So glad the ending didnt go as I expected
a Shinomine win after Winnerjima kuns honesty moment on stage. I loved his speech it made get all teary eyed and happy there
. The first ten minutes and subsequent moments were so good in the drama, suspense, and emotions department. Really highlight anime of the year for me, probably in my top three of the year at this point in time. Oojima and Yume for my favorite characters, Mouri senpai too, and I guess there were actually no bad characters excpet for the antagonist.

Jarmel

Banned
That anime ranking lists would contain it, high up with real shows that could rival the best of live action. That newcomers would be told to step into it's world of mediocrity and have their standards forever poisoned by the sweet poison of a power fantasy.

So I just checked to see how high SAO was on MAL and it's ranked 42 above GITS 2nd GIG, Grave of the Fireflies, Sword of the Stranger, and the first season of FMA.

What the fuck son.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
vBfwI.png

No I'm not going to be an arse and continue with this. I am not going to mention all the silly plotholes. I'm going to say Kirito is soon going to one up Batman to the point we'll describing the Dark Night as Kirito and not the other way round.

I will say that SAO does consider the MMO aspects well. It's just the plot it forgot about.

cajunator

Banned
vBfwI.png

No I'm not going to be an arse and continue with this. I am not going to mention all the silly plotholes. I'm going to say Kirito is soon going to one up Batman to the point we'll describing the Dark Night as Kirito and not the other way round.

I will say that SAO does consider the MMO aspects well. It's just the plot it forgot about.

If the reason for him saying that is as described, then Madoka Magica is indeed one of the smartest animes to come out in recent years. SAO definitely isn't.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan explored every corner of the concept of bread and thought about it in every possible way.

Smart anime.

7Th

The most insulting part of the Kotaku review is that the writer implies Fujishit was a good show:

Twelve episodes in, it is the smartest anime I have seen in years—even including the recent Lupin III.

Disgusting.

Narag

vBfwI.png

I'm pretty sure phrasing it as he initially did was just to make googling discussion of his article easier.

OceanBlue

I'm pretty sure phrasing it as he initially did was just to make googling discussion of his article easier.
I agree. I also think that he really likes how it explores the game elements the most, but that would be too wordy and not interesting enough for an article opening, so he instead just says "smartest". It's so easy to misunderstand what he means from that word though....

SAO does do a good job of exploring its MMO elements. At least, from my casual MMO player's perspective, it does.

Defuser

Binbougami-ga! final

Nice end to the show. I must say Ranmaru is my fav character since the way she poses and talk are flashy. I would love a season 2 considering it goes full on action genre shift after Nadeshiko joins in but knowing Sunrise and their troll endings....... :(

Uchip

Banned
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan explored every corner of the concept of bread and thought about it in every possible way.

Smart anime.

Its like a soulless, unfunny version of Yakitate Japan

Ricks bread was certainly pretty solid.

get outta town!

I hate SAO, I hate the fact that it's dumb otaku wish fulfilment nonsense that barely holds itself together to form anything of a plot. I hate the fact that it feels like the show was designed by ticking boxes, rather than trying to tell a real story.

More than anything I hate the fact that it's incredibly popular, that so many people are so devoid of taste they mistake pyrite for gold. That anyone would call it "the smartest anime" and not burst out laughing immediately afterwards. That anime ranking lists would contain it, high up with real shows that could rival the best of live action. That newcomers would be told to step into it's world of mediocrity and have their standards forever poisoned by the sweet poison of a power fantasy.

Its the anime equivalent of any recent Micheal Bay movie
a flagrant waste of money to make something pretty but ultimately empty

and I dont think it even handles the MMO element well

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
vBfwI.png

Uhh...... no.

duckroll

iKKdvlVjaFJUo.jpeg

This is director Shiotani's new Twitter icon. What is it? It's a mascot character for the Criminal Investigation Department - Commissioner Tarou!

In 12 hours or so, I suppose all will be revealed about the show itself. It's pretty likely that after the pre-screening event and live panel streaming on Nico they'll probably put up an actual PV.

I like this Junior.

And that Kotaku article is a joke. But then again what isn't a joke from them?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rinne no Lagrange S2 07:

So, uhh, Dizelmine
uses Space Tiger's sister as the source of power for a device whose destructive power has universally terrified all humanoids for eons, she BLOWS UP A PLANET and is subsequently falsely declared dead and secretly kept alive by Dizelmine in hopes that he can harness her power again someday
, and Space Tiger is like "now why was I ever mad at you again? LET'S BE BROS."

I know that Space Tiger was the S1 villain and all, but this season's revelations have made it abundantly clear that he has every right to want to blow Dizelmine's ass out of space. The leaders of the two most advanced military powers in the universe suddenly coming to the realization that people die when they are killed was just........lol.

And now that this plotline has been presumably been put down before its time due to running out of ideas, it's time for a good old-fashioned dramatic endgame escalation asspull!
Astelia BSOD loooooool. And she's 20000 years old!

Maedhros

So basically, stop liking what I don't?

Just drop the show and let the people who like it discuss. This isn't 4chan.

Fall so good.

The hypers have literally turned me into a hype boat.
Like I do not even know that I am hypesurfing on a bottomless sea.
Everything will be fucking amazing and I will reach hundred(s of) posts.

Hyped
Might even firehawk

Articalys

Saimoe Round 2 - Groups E & F, Day 1 Results

E1
1st 206 Sakuno Uryuu @ Mashiroiro Symphony ~The Colour Of Lovers~
2nd 136 Yumi Kajiki @ Saki
3rd 51 Kurumi Hazuki @ Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel

F1
1st 210 Yui Funami @ Yuru Yuri
2nd 106 Hercule Barton @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes
3rd 70 Seraphim @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

-------------------------------------

Today:

- Yayoi vs. Sanae vs. Sanya

- Kirame vs. Kanna vs. Haruka

woah! Already 15 pages + x from the last thread since yesterday.

And only one hour until From The New World.

October is truly the best month of the year.

Very much looking forward to From the New World :D.

Can't believe I'm just seeing the new thread and it's already moved this much. Let's see if I can move up the wall of shame this time :p.

Jex

This position seems a little unnecessarily damming of people who happen to enjoy the show. I wouldn't quibble with your complaints about the work itself - it is, indeed, bad. However it still manages to be fairly entertaining despite it's multitude of faults and therefore I wouldn't lambaste anyone who watches it for fun.
This, however, just makes you bitter that you don't like something that's popular. Why get worked up over of it? A lot of the most popular works in any field are awful.

BluWacky

an explanation as to why theyre in german tanks?

It's set in an alternative universe where "the art of operating tanks is a traditional martial art for girls". Apparently Japan has only one kind of tank in its army, so presumably they've gone for a bit of variety.

I know nothing about tanks - or Girls und Panzer - other than what Wiki says, but that's my best guess.

Jex

So I just checked to see how high SAO was on MAL and it's ranked 42 above GITS 2nd GIG, Grave of the Fireflies, Sword of the Stranger, and the first season of FMA.

What the fuck son.

It's called recency bias, son.

Uchip

Banned
It's set in an alternative universe where "the art of operating tanks is a traditional martial art for girls". Apparently Japan has only one kind of tank in its army, so presumably they've gone for a bit of variety.

I know nothing about tanks - or Girls und Panzer - other than what Wiki says, but that's my best guess.

with the possibility of infinite parallel universes, perhaps this is an actuality in one of them
however, here in ours it just sounds stupid!

If you could, wouldn't you be in them too?

post wwii? i was always more interested in air forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom