• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I hate SAO, I hate the fact that it's dumb otaku wish fulfilment nonsense that barely holds itself together to form anything of a plot. I hate the fact that it feels like the show was designed by ticking boxes, rather than trying to tell a real story.

More than anything I hate the fact that it's incredibly popular, that so many people are so devoid of taste they mistake pyrite for gold. That anyone would call it "the smartest anime" and not burst out laughing immediately afterwards. That anime ranking lists would contain it, high up with real shows that could rival the best of live action. That newcomers would be told to step into it's world of mediocrity and have their standards forever poisoned by the sweet poison of a power fantasy.

SAO is a bad show, and you should probably feel bad if you think otherwise.

i4bIaG5FD326W.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I feel like this is a massive conspiracy perpetrated by the Sengoku Illuminati. lol
I still have dakkumauji's list saved and he recommends the same episodes!

(I mean, you like this more than Oda Nobuna, right? :p)

It's not a conspiracy if everyone agrees!

Each of the episodes I listed is better than Oda Nobuna in its entirety. Even with the overall 3:1-ish ratio of bad to good episodes, SenColle is still better!

Branduil

iKKdvlVjaFJUo.jpeg

This is director Shiotani's new Twitter icon. What is it? It's a mascot character for the Criminal Investigation Department - Commissioner Tarou!

In 12 hours or so, I suppose all will be revealed about the show itself. It's pretty likely that after the pre-screening event and live panel streaming on Nico they'll probably put up an actual PV.

I'm going to hold you to this.

/XX/

I say "low key", but the first few minutes show
psychic children destroying modern civilisation in a fairly graphic manner
and then settles into an extremely creepy vibe.
Even if calling the Nekodamashi "DeceptiCat" in my head takes some of the tension out of it.
. The atmosphere - and the narrative - are deliberately unsettling.
That music... so ominous...
well, I didn't understand that much, although what I could clearly get is that continuous mood they set for this. When it was shown the cast in that little competitive bickering when they were practicing with the tower of cards exercise, at first I thought it was meant to be more playful and light, to show us something a little more amusing in their relationship that changed the overall mood of the episode even if only for a scene, but even them you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife! Totally unsettling, yeah.

BluWacky

I had today off to wait for the gas man, so I watched a terrible OVA to celebrate.

Yami no Purple Eye (Purple Eyes in the Darkness)

Do you like 80s pop songs? Do you like coloured manga stills? Do you like these things together? Then you might enjoy this. This is what I imagine they put on loop on TVs in Japanese dentists at the end of the 80s or something.

This is an "adaptation" of a very popular shoujo horror manga by Chie Shinohara. It's about a half-leopard girl trying to evade capture by her suspicious teacher - from what I can glean from what I've just watched she appears to
end up having a human baby with a panther or something?
. I dunno. You can't work out the plot from this anyway, as it's a bunch of pop songs set to a few bits of proper animation and a lot of stills from the manga - some of which get slightly animated so that the lead character's hair and skirt ripple in a non-existent breeze.

What I have mostly learnt from this OVA:

i) Leopards can run!
ii) Cities have lights!
iii) Sometimes leopards run through cities with lights!
iv) Seagulls can fly over the ocean FOR A VERY LONG TIME!

There was ONE thing that was worth watching, when the girl turned into the a leopard, because it was an elegant piece of animation. Otherwise, that was 30 minutes wasted.

purpleeye3_zps9424c949.jpg

bah, a pox on you and your evil face

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Unless there is some unknown manga I'm not aware of, Madoka was an anime original.

Oh. That's what you meant. I know Madoka is an original. I was just using Urobochi as a source rather than a manga or some pre-existing source. That was my bad sorry. Also it was a cheap shot at SHAFT.

What?

Madoka is original show, and Shinbo is actually competent director no matter how vile his reputation now.

I clarified. Sorry. My bad.

Jex

A bad studio getting a good source is better than a good studio getting a bad source.

Often, yes, I agree with you on that one. Occasionally you see a good studio heavily modify a source so as to make a better show, but how often does that really happen?

kayos90

Often, yes, I agree with you on that one. Occasionally you see a good studio heavily modify a source so as to make a better show, but how often does that really happen?

Some say that for FMA. Not my opinion. Just saying what others think.

fertygo

Nobody thinks Shinbo is incompetent at the actual art of directing. At least not here, I don't think.

Just saying if someone implying SHAFT is a really bad studio, because they too busy making money with otaku pandering show but its not really surprising if they actually make good show, because Shinbo actually had talent for that.

I see no reason not to think that the new JoJo anime is more than a cheap advertising show for the new PS3 game. The PV was already super cheap looking.

Tizoc

Watching the show for fanservice or fun will both lead to disappointment. It's an episodic series about genderflipped historical figures from Japan's Sengoku era finding new lives for themselves after being transported to the present day, and each episode depicts a different character in their own little self-contained narrative. The quality of episodes is extremely uneven, with some being works of mad brilliance and stunning art while others succumb to the trite and horrible premise, being so bland and terrible that the minutes crawl by like hours. Unless you're so extremely hardcore a fan of cute girls doing cute things that you can derive entertainment from a cute girl doing literally anything, you will find that watching the series in its entirety will generally be agony.

Fortunately, there's some level of consensus on what episodes are worth watching, so we recommend these:

16. (a personal recommendation not shared by AnimeGAF)

Hah thanks I'll check those out.

Also when does the JoJo anime air AND WHERE IS THE FREAKING OT FOR THIS SERIES?!?!?!

/XX/

What?

Madoka is original show, and Shinbo is actually competent director no matter how vile his reputation now.
Mr. Shinbō doesn't even 'directs' much of the time nowadays, he has the team for that... he is more like an instructor (and is the supervisor).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hm...
Granted, none of them were particularly bad source materials but the adaptation did elevate them.

fertygo

I see no reason not to think that the new JoJo anime is more than a cheap advertising show for the new PS3 game. The PV was already super cheap looking.

Its by entirely different producer tho, the anime is by Warner and the game is by Bandai (n they had hand on anime industry too)

I'm actually more happy if that's the case, because Bandai maybe will chose other studio than David Pro.

Mr. Shinbō doesn't even 'directs' much of the time nowadays, he has the team for that... he is more like an instructor (the supervisor).
Considering how bad his student like Oonuma Shin and other directing for their own.. well, I rather to not downplaying him.

cajunator

Banned
Girls und Panzer looks really fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSe_9CnIUQ0

- Cute girls
- CG tanks

What more could you ask for?!

Not much!

My question is, did he not see Fate/Zero.

This is another better choice than SAO. That article is just baffling.

She's my choice for best girl before the show starts.

From The New World 1

A very, very interesting start.

It's clearly a show directed by an excellent animator - there's a huge amount of attention paid to how everything looks, not just in terms of the world design or whatever but the colours, shots, even the changes in visual style throughout the episode. It all combines to make what is, in some ways, quite a "low key" story very interesting to watch - and that goes without mentioning the good voice acting and the very evocative music.

I say "low key", but the first few minutes show
psychic children destroying modern civilisation in a fairly graphic manner
and then settles into an extremely creepy vibe.
Even if calling the Nekodamashi "DeceptiCat" in my head takes some of the tension out of it.
. The atmosphere - and the narrative - are deliberately unsettling.

Cant wait to watch this. I love unsettling shows and creepy settings. Sounds like my kind of show! Especially intrigued by usage of colors and visuals.

SOS? What's that? A site name?

Oh yes. I've somehow been featured on it before.

Just saying if someone implying SHAFT is a really bad studio, because they too busy making money with otaku pandering show but its not really surprising if they actually make good show, because Shinbo actually had talent for that.

Shaft is not and never was a bad studio talentwise. They might waste a lot of money and have poor management, but the end product usually ends up pretty interesting and fun. the studio makes very successful shows and thats no coincidence.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now I realize what's missing from the JoJo adaptation.

Not enough dramatic face/body shadows. It looks way too consistent.

kayos90

SAO discussion can easily be discussed in here as there really isnt that much to actually discuss about it.

You mean there wasn't as much to discuss since I was banned. Since I'm back... I can't guarantee everyone's safety... I mean... Have you READ my deconstruction of that review?

/XX/

We decided not to as to maintain SAO discussion in this OT.
Frankly, those kind of threads aren't going to gain traction even outside the 'Community' space of this forum, and it is depressing seeing the state of some topics because of that... like the one for tsu ri ta ma. On the other hand, all those good impressions lost on the 'frenziness' of posts generated in here is sad as well. Not entirely sure what is better...

Jarmel

Banned
Frankly, those kind of threads aren't going to gain traction even outside the 'Community' space of this forum, and it is depressing seeing the state of some topics because of that... like the one for tsu ri ta ma. On the other hand, all those impressions lost on the 'frenziness' of posts generated in here is sad as well. Not entirely sure what is better...

I think it depends on the franchise. Fate/Zero had a good thread and I think PP will have one too. New World's thread I have a feeling will bomb

kayos90

I think it depends on the franchise. Fate/Zero had a good thread and I think PP will have one too. New World's thread I have a feeling will bomb

Fate/Zero was also a good anime and had an established base due to Fate/Stay Night, etc.

/XX/

True, maybe a quota of threads based on popularity should be imposed, or something...

cajunator

Banned
Frankly, those kind of threads aren't going to gain traction even outside the 'Community' space of this forum, and it is depressing seeing the state of some topics because of that... like the one for tsu ri ta ma. On the other hand, all those good impressions lost on the 'frenziness' of posts generated in here is sad as well. Not entirely sure what is better...

find "search this thread"
type name of series you want to see discussion about
hit search
yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom