• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you JoJo people better be cross-posting in the OT.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2

th6Us.jpg

Jonathan is such a bro.

Okay, first of all, that OP is CRAZY! Such intense direction and facial expressions. But what was up with the parts 3-6 tease? Why show it if they have no intention of getting there? This shit better get greenlit for more, or these guys are just trolling.

As for the actual episode, my god this is still a fuckin amazing adaptation! Speedwagon also broing it up while everyone continues the exaggerated fabulousness. And there's some satisfaction to be had, as we find out Dio isn't some invincible villain
just yet.

GKCFU.jpg

lol, 1800s racism.

I do feel that the censorship will be a pain in the ass down the line. It looks like they aren't actually changing much, just blacking it out. That could give some incentive to buy the BDs, but it could also make some of the more brutal fights a black screen 90% of the time. Ah well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And yes, the transition to the ED was perfect.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright. I made it as far as episode 8 of Nyarko-san before I just couldn't fucking take any more of the "everyone is in love with the main character" shit. Okay, so it's just two characters, but still. It's annoying as hell.

Dropped.

Jubern

Jojo 2 was AMAZING. I'm so hooked. I'd read the manga but I have to much shit to play/watch/read already, so I'll simply enjoy the ride for now.

Branduil

From the New World 3

So much striking and memorable imagery in this episode. Some of the best starry skies I've seen in an anime, I can say that much.

The weirdness boiling under the familiar continues to percolate in this episode, culminating in a dramatic and surprising turn of events.
The kids have unwittingly caught a biological library.
It's safe to say they will soon learn of that which they shouldn't. It was rather amusing how quickly the kids
harnessed those giant crabs
and somewhat disturbing how calmly Saki
threatened to pull all of the spines off of an obviously intelligent being.

The direction, writing, and animation in this series has just been incredibly sharp and focused so far. Every scene contributes to the overall story, and Ishihama understands the power and primacy of visuals in communicating characterization and themes.

Also, dat opening sequence-

ibmbKdexB9KFrw.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Shinsekai Yori-3

Yea I definitely didn't like this episode. The pacing is on the grindingly slow side. Also the kids themselves aren't really that interesting. This was obviously a setup episode and I hate how they're just going to dump info in the next episode. I also think the directing took a pretty big hit and a lot of the tension in prior episodes is kinda gone.

Branduil

Shinsekai Yori-3

Yea I definitely didn't like this episode. The pacing is on the grindingly slow side. Also the kids themselves aren't really that interesting. This was obviously a setup episode and I hate how they're just going to dump info in the next episode. I also think the directing took a pretty big hit and a lot of the tension in prior episodes is kinda gone.

How do you know they're just going to dump info in the next episode, lol?

Jarmel

Banned
How do you know they're just going to dump info in the next episode, lol?

They stumble across a walking library. It's obviously going to have tons of background info. They might do it visually but the library is going to be filling in a lot of holes. Also one of the shots from the preview looks to be from modern times. It's literally the equivalent of someone running into an AI. It's a rather boring way of getting background info. Not to mention the whole convenience of just stumbling across one of these things.

Branduil

They stumble across a walking library. It's obviously going to have tons of background info. They might do it visually but the library is going to be filling in a lot of holes. Also one of the shots from the preview looks to be from modern times. It's literally the equivalent of someone running into an AI. It's a rather boring way of getting background info. Not to mention the whole convenience of just stumbling across one of these things.

While it could be badly done shouldn't you wait until it actually happens before you judge it?
Also it's not just stumbling across it, they went out of their way to look for one.

Jarmel

Banned
While it could be badly done shouldn't you wait until it actually happens before you judge it?
Also it's not just stumbling across it, they went out of their way to look for one.

The whole episode just feels really hamfisted for narrative purposes. No parental supervision on a multiple day camping trip despite prior episodes showing things like a curfew. On a random camping trip they happen to come across one. Judging by the campfire discussion, they didn't come with the intention of hunting a minoshiro down. It was an 'on the fly' decision to make looking for minoshiros the point of the trip and low and behold, they stumble onto one straight off the bat. Thankfully no parents are around to prevent the infodump that the kids are going to get. Of all the things for the minoshiro to be, it had to be an AI who just so happens to store bunch of background info.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
But the best episodes (outside of the first) were 8, 9, and 10!

Also OP of the year all years

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー! (」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー! Let's\(・ω・)/にゃー!

Branduil

The whole episode just feels really hamfisted for narrative purposes. No parental supervision on a multiple day camping trip despite prior episodes showing things like a curfew. On a random camping trip they happen to come across one. Judging by the campfire discussion, they didn't come with the intention of hunting a minoshiro down. It was an 'on the fly' decision to make looking for minoshiros the point of the trip and low and behold, they stumble onto one straight off the bat. Thankfully no parents are around to prevent the infodump that the kids are going to get. Of all the things for the minoshiro to be, it had to be an AI who just so happens to store bunch of background info.

Why do you assume their isn't a reason for the camping trip? Also, it's not like the minoshiro just started spouting info at them. I don't know how you can judge the likelihood of them encountering one when we have no idea how many there are.

Jarmel

Banned
Why do you assume their isn't a reason for the camping trip? Also, it's not like the minoshiro just started spouting info at them. I don't know how you can judge the likelihood of them encountering one when we have no idea how many there are.

So far we don't have any reason why they started to do a camping trip in the first place. They might explain one later but the way they were talking around the campfire seems like there wasn't some concrete plan. I also don't buy the fact that there isn't any parental supervision around. It doesn't make sense for there to be a lot of minoshiros roaming about mainly due to the way Satoru was describing them, like they were myths. He stated that everyone who ran across them ended up dead, which was obviously inaccurate. That doesn't sound like some common animal.

Branduil

So far we don't have any reason why they started to do a camping trip in the first place. They might explain one later but the way they were talking around the campfire seems like there wasn't some concrete plan. I also don't buy the fact that there isn't any parental supervision around. It doesn't make sense for there to be a lot of minoshiros roaming about mainly due to the way Satoru was describing them, like they were myths. He stated that everyone who ran across them ended up dead, which was obviously inaccurate. That doesn't sound like some common animal.

You're forgetting that they're forbidden from going outside of the village most of the time.

Jarmel

Banned
You're forgetting that they're forbidden from going outside of the village most of the time.

Which makes the lack of parental supervision all the more obvious especially when there doesn't seem to be some strong reason for doing the trip in the first place. Ignoring that, I can't exactly see an AI with loads of background info being common in a dystopia where there seems to be strict limits of knowledge. I guess we'll find out how much it knows/reveals next episode but the whole thing feels very convenient in regards to set-up.

Grzi

Psycho-Pass - 01

It was pretty good. I wasn't blown away, but I liked it enough to be excited for the next episode. I like the setting, hopefully it gets even more fleshed out, but I really want the main story to be good. I would love it if the setting didn't become the catalyst for the story (as in, the main characters going against the system or whatever), but I don't have high hopes for that happening. I won't nitpick on the setting yet, it's still too early, they can definitely do a lot with it.
Also, am I the only one who was reminded of Spike and Vicious by that first scene? I really hope that white haired guy (Shogo?) isn't Shinyas former crime partner or something, although it would be kind of funny.
I like that the overall feel is very reminiscent of the late 80's/early 90's anime, which is something that I think is missing today, the
death
scene especially reminded me of that era.
The production values are ok, I guess we're pretty much stuck with CG mechanical animation at this point (unless BONES is involved). I didn't like the OP, I enjoyed the ED.

Akane is kind of annoying.

Erigu

[Shin Sekai yori]
Or you could see it this way: the reason the series focuses on those characters is that they're the ones who captured the Minoshiro.

Jarmel

Banned
[Shin Sekai yori]

Or you could see it this way: the reason the series focuses on those characters is that they're the ones who captured the Minoshiro.

Circumstances leading up to them capturing the minoshiro is still kinda iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom