• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Circumstances leading up to them capturing the minoshiro is still kinda iffy.

I don't see how we have sufficient information to make that judgment though.
The camping trip is apparently something all the kids do, so we can assume that the adults aren't particularly worried about the kids coming across an evil Minoshiro. There are several easily deducible reasons for this:

-They may not be particularly common.
-The evil Minoshiro have a very powerful defense system. The only reason the kids were able to thwart it is Saki's sunglasses.
-Even then they still had to go out of their way to capture it and threaten it with bodily harm.

It may not be particularly likely that they would meet the evil Minoshiro, but it doesn't need to be likely, just plausible
. Circumstantial encounters are only a problem if they happen continually in a story, one such meeting is hardly a problem, especially if there'd be no story without it.

BluWacky

Which makes the lack of parental supervision all the more obvious especially when there doesn't seem to be some strong reason for doing the trip in the first place.

While I don't defend the action of explaining things on a show's website, the From the New World site gives a bit more detail on
summer camps
which you might find interesting. I don't think it necessarily allays your concerns -
concerns I don't really share, personally, given how "hands off" the parenting and teaching appears to be a lot of the time
- but I thought it would be interesting to mention anyway as I think it
gives at least some reason for the trip taking place.

My opinion isn't a particularly critical one as I am utterly absorbed by everything that happens in this show and so don't really notice flaws in it!

Summer Camp

The biggest thing that happens at Sage Academy. Groups board canoes and paddle up the Tone River to pitch camp.

The seven day programme for the trip is organised by the class's teacher so that the students are not all away at the same time.

It's not just a trip for fun, but more like "field training"; each group of students has to give a presentation on a chosen theme after they return.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't see how we have sufficient information to make that judgment though.
The camping trip is apparently something all the kids do, so we can assume that the adults aren't particularly worried about the kids coming across an evil Minoshiro. There are several easily deducible reasons for this:

-They may not be particularly common.
-The evil Minoshiro have a very powerful defense system. The only reason the kids were able to thwart it is Saki's sunglasses.
-Even then they still had to go out of their way to capture it and threaten it with bodily harm.

It may not be particularly likely that they would meet the evil Minoshiro, but it doesn't need to be likely, just plausible
. Circumstantial encounters are only a problem if they happen continually in a story, one such meeting is hardly a problem, especially if there'd be no story without it.

I wasn't talking about the immediate circumstances regarding the capture such as the whole bit about avoiding the hypnosis. That's fine. I was referring more to the nature of the trip which we aren't given any insight to. As for as I can tell, there isn't any reference to other kids doing a similar camping trip or the initial intentions of the trip other than to goof around(them deciding to look into the stuff like the minoshiro came later at the campfire). There isn't any parental supervision around on a multi-day trip in the wilderness for a bunch of kids. Even assuming the parents weren't expecting the kids to run into a minoshiro, it's a bit ridiculous to just let kids, around the age of 12, roam around especially when prior episodes show how restricting this culture is. The lack of parental supervision being necessary in order to do the scene with the minoshiro. What's weird is that the way the author did it seems unnecessary as the kids could have just gotten separated from their chaperone and ran into the minoshiro. Instead we have this random event that is needed for a certain plot point.

Edit:Apparently I'm wrong about the other students bit. Episode 2 stated that all the students would be doing it.

While I don't defend the action of explaining things on a show's website, the From the New World site gives a bit more detail on
summer camps
which you might find interesting. I don't think it necessarily allays your concerns -
concerns I don't really share, personally, given how "hands off" the parenting and teaching appears to be a lot of the time
- but I thought it would be interesting to mention anyway as I think it
gives at least some reason for the trip taking place.

My opinion isn't a particularly critical one as I am utterly absorbed by everything that happens in this show and so don't really notice flaws in it!

Summer Camp

The biggest thing that happens at Sage Academy. Groups board canoes and paddle up the Tone River to pitch camp.

The seven day programme for the trip is organised by the class's teacher so that the students are not all away at the same time.

It's not just a trip for fun, but more like "field training"; each group of students has to give a presentation on a chosen theme after they return.

Yea that definitely needed to be mentioned somewhere in the episode itself. Mainly the bit about the field training as it would explain the lack of parental supervision, the rest of the stuff was in 2.

Instro

Robotics Notes 1

Not particularly amazing, but it is certainly a big step up from the opening episodes to previous 5pb adaptions. It's a pretty slow opening episode though, not a whole lot going on as we are introduced to the characters and so on, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable none the less.

From the New World 3

It was rather amusing how quickly the kids
harnessed those giant crabs
and somewhat disturbing how calmly Saki
threatened to pull all of the spines off of an obviously intelligent being.

There's something slightly disturbing about the kids. For one thing,
they don't seem to care that one of their group members just disappeared
. I could see them pulling some sick stuff.

sonicmj1

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2

I may have devoted far more posts and energy to thinking about episode 1 of Psycho-Pass than anything I've seen in a while.

BUT THIS IS THE BEST SHOW

When "Roundabout" started playing I totally lost it.

Nichijou 22

What could such a docile dog do you scaredy cat?

BVBDI.jpg

RDBm4.jpg

lol

Thoraxes

From the creators of Steins;Gate right? Have to watch it eventually.

Just from the first episode alone, it's like totally different. I still expect it to have heart though, as it seems to be going that way. I think i'm on for the ride though for sure. It's fun.
watching the love ru darkness ova

why am i enjoying yuki washing haruna?

o lord i have sinned
yes... Yes.... YESSSSS

Give into your sin. INDULGE YOURSELF.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sorry to disappoint all my fellow Brits who are going to see Wolf Children today but it looks like it was not meant to be for me. After a terrible nights sleep I've just gotten up (well not quite just now, but it was very late). I would have needed to already be out of the house to get to the cinema on time and since I'm typing this message it's clear I haven't. Also I never leave home on an empty stomach.

Well it does mean the final part of School Days can be viewed earlier. Oh goody(!)

Sorry to disappoint all my fellow Brits who are going to see Wolf Children today but it looks like it was not meant to be for me. After a terrible nights sleep I've just gotten up (well not quite just now, but it was very late). I would have needed to already be out of the house to get to the cinema on time and since I'm typing this message it's clear I haven't. Also I never leave home on an empty stomach.

Well it does mean the final part of School Days can be viewed earlier. Oh goody(!)
You've made the right decision.

cajunator

Banned

This was quite clearly the reason. It is your fated destiny to see episode 12.

k-on_ep1_toast_jam-30t6bf8.jpg

tasty toast, you can act like a cute little girl (picture semi-related) and you could watch Wolf Children.

BluWacky

A BGBW-less screening is a poor screening :( just picked up my ticket. The Hosodapocalypse is nigh!

Every cloud etc.?

Thoraxes

Slow start like Steins;Gate?

It's more fleshing out what the world is first through the technology, a minor amount of pop culture (which also ties into the character problems/wants/needs), and characters and their relationships between each other.

It dabs lightly into each of these elements, but it does make sure to show all of them. There's nothing as heavy as what happened in the first ep. of S;G though.

Steroyd

BTOOM - 02

I apologise, for deluding myself into thinking people couldn't get more retarded than the guy in episode 1.

K - 02

A whole lot of nothing happened, naked cat girl person thing who hates clothes comes to play and that's about it.

Hidamari Honeycomb - 02

taTmA.gif

Yuno she's trying her best.

Grzi

Robotics; Notes - 01

This episode reminded me how much I hate genki female characters, ugh.

I'd much rather be watching the Gunvarrel anime, but what are you gonna do.
It wasn't a bad episode, just really bland, but hopefully it will improve, just like Steins; Gate did.

/XX/

Something else I've been wondering if the show will address is, for a system that's so incredibly computer focused what happens when the system gets hacked? Basically imagine a group like anonymous getting access to the psycho pass system. That certainly seems like it would open up quite a can of worms.
Yeah, I really expect some kind of main plot or even sub-plot that addresses a manipulation of the system, or something similar, by external forces. The total control and span that it exerts over the population, and the notion that some outcasts could know how to avoid it means things can probably escalate in that direction.

We just need to get more casual anime fans in here and corrupt them. We failed with Dragoon, but Maedhros seems to be getting there.
He'd still be here if Lupin didn't suck!
But Dragoon En Regalia (more or less) still defended, in good faith, that project as a whole in here. Cool guy... I blame duckroll for his leaving!

I haven't seen the episode yet, but... what the hell happened to make Jun Arai (Arasan) delete his twitter account after this was emitted?

mr joey jojo's beautifuL DUWANG todais epsio
dE to/o
And even like that I still prefer it over gg strangely 'British-ing' the script!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Alrighty. I'm stopping by to say hello as I'm being held hostage by Regulus in order to participate in here. It hasn't been the first time it's happened as Pokegaf did the same last year.
Soo Hi y'all.
Sups.
Regulus is a monster. He kidnapped someone from the K-On thread too.
Whenever I invite someone to AnimeGAF they run screaming in the other direction. Maybe Regulus is on to something with the whole "hostage" thing...
It's not a crime if they don't say no!

Somebody died
in the first episode of Steins;Gate, so no not really.

I almost forgot who that was lol.

It's more fleshing out what the world is first through the technology, a minor amount of pop culture (which also ties into the character problems/wants/needs), and characters and their relationships between each other.

It dabs lightly into each of these elements, but it does make sure to show all of them. There's nothing as heavy as what happened in the first ep. of S;G though.

I'll watch the show once its finished.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) 2
tumblr_mbtsetWoD41qfqj2no1_400.gif

Dio keeps me interested (all his poses) and that hovercar Dio, lol, but all in all this was kind of a really boring episode. Dio is the only good character design while everyone else is just too old and way too buff that it becomes unappealing. The lack of friendship stuff just made this rough to get through (I loved the opening football thing)
but it was all for naught when both revealed theyve been faking it and clearly have no aspiration to rebuild any at all, so I doubt it will ever come again
. Hopefully the series improves from here and gets better, or else this will be a rough 26 or so episodes.

Grzi

Gyrozetter - 01

Pretty fun and colorful, I'll keep watching this for some lighthearted mecha antics. Not a fan of the CG, but it definitely could look worse. It's a fun kids show not much you can say about it, really. But it's not bad.

-Minsc-

JoJo's Bizarre adventure 02

I declare this show to be FUCKING AWESOME.

I try to watch my anime through official channels. There have been shows I passed on watching solely due to a lack of an official stream. In the case of JoJo, this looks too overly AWESOME to pass up.

sonicmj1

Dio keeps me interested (all his poses) and that hovercar Dio, lol, but all in all this was kind of a really boring episode. Dio is the only good character design while everyone else is just too old and way too buff that it becomes unappealing. The lack of friendship stuff just made this rough to get through (I loved the opening football thing)
but it was all for naught when both revealed theyve been faking it and clearly have no aspiration to rebuild any at all, so I doubt it will ever come again
. Hopefully the series improves from here and gets better, or else this will be a rough 26 or so episodes.

What's wrong with the relationship between Jojo and Speedwagon, two gentlemen recognizing each other's gentlemanliness?

Uchip

Banned

LOL
what a strange criticism
going by your avatar im glad theyre too old, that way we wont have to put up with jojo yaoi trash
also lol @ wanting them to be friends.... missing the whole point
this show is DTL Kryptonite

cajunator

Banned
Btooom 01

This was so stupid I dropped is halfway through the episode when the guy couldn't figure out how to use a timer.
Way too much good stuff this season to waste on another virtual game world anime, especially if its this stupid.

fertygo

LOL
what a strange criticism
going by your avatar im glad theyre too old, that way we wont have to put up with jojo yaoi trash
also lol @ wanting them to be friends.... missing the whole point
this show is DTL Kryptonite

Battle Tendency and apart that is very :DTL lawl.
Jonathan just don't have true nakama for his arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom