• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

id say a mixture of both
Old series up until york shin

The new series did a great job with the Heavens Arena arc too, some great sakuga, I'd say it's superior to the original.
I think most of the disappointment with the new series comes from the fact that they censored a few things here and there and the fear they will do the same thing with the later arcs. Since they have proved themselves with all of the arcs after the Hunter exam, I think the new show already takes the cake and provides the ultimate HxH experience, because it's biggest flaws are the few instances of censorship early on which don't really ruin the enjoyment, especially now that we've seen everything Madhouse can do.
Also, no filler in the 2011 version.

He should just watch the 2011 version since there's also the chance they'll make the Greed Island arc better and animate the Chimera Ant arc.

3Kaze

Madoka Movies: Meh as expected, not much new things to see. All they did was to redraw almost all the backgrounds, animate new transformation sequences and add a lot of new tracks. Pacing and editing were pretty bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Madoka Movies: Meh as expected, not much new things to see. All they did was to redraw almost all the backgrounds, animate new transformation sequences and add a lot of new tracks. Pacing and editing were pretty bad.
So they didn't really do anything to turn tv episodes into films? Yuck.

BluWacky

Forgive me if everyone knows this already, but do these two films cover the whole TV series or just up to a particular point? I thought the second film was supposed to have new bits in but is it now just the third film which has new content?

Westlo

The new series did a great job with the Heavens Arena arc too, some great sakuga, I'd say it's superior to the original.
I think most of the disappointment with the new series comes from the fact that they censored a few things here and there and the fear they will do the same thing with the later arcs. Since they have proved themselves with all of the arcs after the Hunter exam, I think the new show already takes the cake and provides the ultimate HxH experience, because it's biggest flaws are the few instances of censorship early on which don't really ruin the enjoyment, especially now that we've seen everything Madhouse can do.
Also, no filler in the 2011 version.

He should just watch the 2011 version since there's also the chance they'll make the Greed Island arc better and animate the Chimera Ant arc.

I guess since I haven't read the manga or watched the original anime apart from the first episode I won't even know what these censored scenes are, so I should just jump straight into 2011?

Wasn't really interested in checking it out when it first aired because of all the negative comments but lately the praise has been flowing in.

Defuser

JoooooooooooooJo! Ep3

Manly cheese
Manly fights
Manly tears
Manly Jojo
ORAORAORAORAORA!!!
WRRRRRRRRYY!!!

oP8b6.png

Look at this guy, that is a douche swag right here, even with a broken bone he doesn't give a shit.

44yqO.png

I have a broken spear in my shoulder, your argument is invalid.

And it's only episode 3.

Grzi

I guess since I haven't read the manga or watched the original anime apart from the first episode I won't even know what these censored scenes are, so I should just jump straight into 2011?

Wasn't really interested in checking it out when it first aired because of all the negative comments but lately the praise has been flowing in.

Yeah, I'd say just watch the 2011 version, when you catch up you can join in with the rest of us currently enjoying it.

3Kaze

So they didn't really do anything to turn tv episodes into films? Yuck.

I thought the first movie was okay but the editing for the second movie was awful. They put an inappropriate OP sequence
after Sayaka turned into a witch
at the beginning, and put the TV series OP
after the Homura flashback
in the middle of the movie. So fucking bad lolz.

Forgive me if everyone knows this already, but do these two films cover the whole TV series or just up to a particular point? I thought the second film was supposed to have new bits in but is it now just the third film which has new content?

They cover the whole TV series. And yes, I thought they were going to make some changes to tease the third movie but there was almost no new content.

Jex

I thought the first movie was okay but the editing for the second movie was awful. They put an inappropriate OP sequence
Hmm, that does sound exceptionally bad. How unfortunate.

I guess this means the next one has to be great, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

They cover the whole TV series. And yes, I thought they were going to make some changes to tease the third movie but there was almost no new content.
God, this whole project seems like a waste of time. I wonder if the fanboys handed over their paychecks and went out to see it in force.

Sounds as bad as the Eden of the East movies.
Oh you! So kawaii!

Speaking of Shaft, I guess... YuriSketch Bees 3
CeQQHl.jpg

Damn Miyako is Miyawesome. Yet another fun episode.

Some cultural things I didn't know about:
xGADHl.jpg

I didn't know milk "cured" garlic breath.

AjE26l.jpg

Japanese schools are poor. :p
Given how stupidly hot and humid it seems to get in Japan, not having AC sounds like a such a pain!

well, the tv opening was one of the central points of the
flashback

sonicmj1

AjE26l.jpg

Japanese schools are poor. :p
Given how stupidly hot and humid it seems to get in Japan, not having AC sounds like a such a pain!

My school was built during the height of the bubble. It has some small ceiling fans in each of the classrooms.

They aren't exactly up to the task.

Fairy Tail 153

GrayNatsu beach training was funny even if it was carbon copy recreation of the manga panels. End episode moment was just as hilarious
falling on the ground when its revealed that they time skipped to one week before the magic games

Steroyd

I'm sorry you don't like it. I find it really cute and fun. But seeing you suffer after my recommendations makes me feel responsible somehow. :(

You either die a hero, or live long enough to be the villain.

It's a responsibility we must all bear.

From The New World - 04

Wow, it neatly ties all the beginning segments of the first 3 episodes, while explaining everything and to top it off shit gets real. *applauds*

Steroyd

Ixion Saga DT - 02

EGTTZ.gif

Now I see Kintama in this show.

Much improved from the first episode, I was a lot more entertained with this episode than the first, more like this please.

The ED was very :DTL.

wonzo

Banned
So Hunter X Hunter, 2011 or the old series? I've only watched the first episode of the original series.
Honestly, you should check out the original series first for the utterly fantastic filler episodes, the effective use of scene composition and colours that help really set the mood, the great OP's and ED's and the most important of all, Hisoka's glorious original voice which is just pitch perfect. The New series is great but I honestly can't imagine starting out with anything other than the original run. It really helps that the opening few episodes were handled far better than the new one did.

One Piece: Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of Nakama

Seriously though, this is by far the best One Piece special and even surpasses possibly all the movies. This is something all fans of the franchise NEED to see, and probably even some non-fans too. hosanna you can just watch this to complete the contract.

That was what I was planning on doing anyway, heh.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SAO 3 & 4

Intensity drops a big time. Still, mindless fun

It'll drop more.

Sales for October 8-15

Light Novels

*1, 147,425 147,425 Sword Art Online Progressive Vol.1
*2, 114,753 114,753 Toaru Majutsu no Index: New Testament Vol.5
*3, *43,069 *43,069 Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Vol.16
*4, *39,313 *39,313 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon Vol.5, Part 2
*5, *38,740 *38,740 Ro-Kyu-Bu! Vol.11
*6, *29,343 *29,343 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Vol.8
*7, *27,294 *27,294 Strike the Blood Vol.5
*8, *24,584 140,054 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Vol.10.5
*9, *21,903 *27,039 Medaka Box Gaiden - Good Loser Kumagawa Novel Version Vol.1
10, *21,363 *23,249 Five Star Stories Tracer Vol.1

11, *20,076 135,129 Kagerou Days Vol.2
12, *19,922 *19,922 Hataraku Maou-sama! Vol.6
13, *18,716 *18,716 Magdara de Nemure Vol.2
14, *18,561 183,267 Tsukimonogatari
15, *15,981 *53,653 Kaettekita 3-Z Class's Ginpachi-sensei Phoenix
16, *15,549 *57,502 JOJOmenon
17, *14,923 *14,923 Mamanchu!
18, *14,495 *14,495 C³ Vol.15
19, *11,895 371,841 Sword Art Online Vol.3
20, *11,481 358,874 Sword Art Online Vol.4
21, *11,078 471,970 Sword Art Online Vol.1

22, *10,584 *10,584 Rakuin no Monsho Vol.12
23, *10,211 194,041 Kagerou Days Vol.1
24, *10,102 323,687 Sword Art Online Vol.5
25, **9,737 308,565 Sword Art Online Vol.6
26, **9,569 403,310 Sword Art Online Vol.2
27, **9,002 **9,002 Gunparade March 2K Vol.4
28, **8,556 258,083 Sword Art Online Vol.10
29, **8,428 288,485 Sword Art Online Vol.7
30, **8,389 285,022 Sword Art Online Vol.8

31, **7,646 *41,420 Magi Official Guidebook
32, **6,965 205,427 Kuroko no Basket -Replace- Vol.3

Makes sense that SAO:p and Index to be on top since it just came out.

Apparently Progressive is also 500+ pages. lolololololol.

God, this whole project seems like a waste of time. I wonder if the fanboys handed over their paychecks and went out to see it in force.

Not a waste of time for the producers, who I'm sure are gleefully counting their profits as we speak.

Anyway, it should be expected that the only way Shaft can get a movie out is for them to do almost no work on it.

Mirai Nikki 26 fin

I loved it! At times I was annoyed by Yukki being a whiny lil child, but the directors seemed to be aware of that too because a lot of characters addressed his coward character.

Awesome characters, Murmur, Deus, Akisa Aru, 9th... Yuno was cool. A crazy twisted cute girl, need more of this! I would love to see a normal Yuno.

I shall give this a 7/10

fertygo

Just watch the 2011 version if you don't have time to watch the original HxH and just want to see the anime version, that's what I do.
Its like the two FMA anime I guess.
Oh, I understand that he's actually flying, it's just the way they present it is, er, less than desirable.

He's not flying, I just being sarcastic with mentioning its not less silly in the manga lol. Dude floating for no reason.

3Kaze

Not a waste of time for the producers, who I'm sure are gleefully counting their profits as we speak.

Anyway, it should be expected that the only way Shaft can get a movie out is for them to do almost no work on it.
I'll laugh if Shaft redraw the backgrounds again for the movies' BD releases.

Legend of Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War

Yeah, I think this is just a bit too silly for me. The scale is so insanely out of whack that the numbers are meaningless. And, maybe because I came in not expecting talking heads, it was a bit off putting to open the movie with talking heads opining about the future of the state... followed by even more people talking at each other for a while until we get to the Yang parts.

(And god, the Yang parts with the awkward love triangle were just such a relief after all that stuff.)

I did find the ending of the battle hilariously impressive, both because of the scale and because of how insane this formation would be if it happened in the real world. Kirk would school these guys so hard... and all he would need is a single starship (and a star to guide her by).

(Also, what kind of jackass has a recliner on their starship? Even tea drinking Picard wasn't that self-indulgent! lol).

I'm sure there's a good show in here, but it's unfortunately not what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

I'm sorry that you didn't like it. I certainly never meant to imply that the series wasn't dialogue-heavy, so I apologize if you got that impression from me. (Although this movie is way less dialogue-heavy than the series proper.)

Akise Aru ftw! However you give things you love only a 7?

I usually don't give a high score for these type of shows. The shows it reminded me of, like Guilty Crown, Another were shit. Except for Eden of the East. I often give shows a score based on:

how memorable they are (I always review the score I distribute to the shows after some time, if the show is still moving me in some way, I let the score stay or upgrade, sometimes deduct)
how many anime cliches there are
the genre
character development
the execution

The best examples is Hellsing. While they're basically the same thing, the execution in Ultimate is just amazing. Thats probably because its an high production value OVA, I gave the original a 7 and Ultimate a 10. :p

Cwarrior

Psycho pass ep2

Two episodes on, anything thing of any significant has yet to happen, it's all gibberish talking and no substance so far.The girl's reason for joing the judge dredd brigade is the usual anime stupid reason just a little more dumb.

Nothing really offensive it wasn't really bad it's just I could have spent that 23mins else where, if it wasn't for the nostalgic late 80s futuristic setting,nice backgrounds,magic wardrobe and the silly judge dredd like plot I would of droped it already.

Come on bring on the stupid unintentional hilarious tragic scenes your know for urobachi-wateveryournameis.

-Old dude is so dead

-ha animegaf gets to excited making such a big deal over pointless implied yuri scene.

-Op video is good, the music is so bad.

New series messes up the start? Goes through things too quickly like FMA Brotherhoods first arc?

No it's lot more light hearted,some scene at the start are censored, I would say watch hxh(99) all the way end of phantom troupe arc then go watch the 2011 version(both are amazing but 99 version is better).

99 version has the dark sinister moody atmosphere going on and best incorporation of filler there is, that actually enhances the material.

One Piece: Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of Nakama

Amazing. I really can't think of any better way they could have recreated the earliest most cherished arc in the franchise. I don't remember a lot about the TV version, but I do remember that it didn't look a 50th as good as this.

It starts out with a few flashbacks, giving a very brief synopsis of the earlier arcs in East Blue. It isn't much, but even seeing some of the arc climaxes remade with this art style and production values was great.

Then we move into the meat of the story, the Arlong arc. Since it's been condensed into a 2 hour TV special, the pacing is MUCH better. All unnecessary filler is cut out while stuff that had the option of being sped up was.

Arlong was made a lot more menacing, even though the content didn't change. Like everything else in this, the sense of impact for every motion was amplified quite a bit, which made Nami's back story all the more harder to watch. It was done so damn well, that I actually cringed at certain portions that called for it,
Arlong stomping on Bellemere's arm
being one.

As the impact of most scenes was more effective all around, you could really empathize with Nami's plight quite a bit more than you could in the TV series. There was just more energy overall and it was great. Especially the
tattoo stabbing scene.
You can really see how much better it is now.

And the action. My god, the action. The last 3rd of this was like a friggin animation carnival during the fights. I seriously think it had better animation than some of the movies. Every single main one was a visual treat. I'd put up some gifs, but I suck at making them and the one place I found with any is a shitty tumblr that didn't gif any of the fights. Amazing choreography coupled with some really great animation.

The one that impressed me the most was Sanji vs Kurobi, a fight with a segment underwater. Just the way the water moved around the fighters was beautiful as was the movements of the characters themselves. But really, all the fights were beautiful. Each one had enough tension alongside the top-notch choreography and animation to be worth any action fan's time.

And of course, that famous climax in
the cartography room
is made all the more satisfying, again thanks to the elevated production values and energy. The great pacing made the lead up more effective, which in turn made the end of the fight more effective.

I have exactly two complaints about this special, both of which are incredibly minor. First of all, the walk to Arlong Park was significantly shortened. It was still effective, but not as much as it was in the TV series. Decent oversight right there. The second is the vital scene of
the town finding the 100 million beli after the fight
was not shown, which kind of gave context to Nami's actions to not make her look like a total bitch when she
stole everyone's wallets.
Ah well.

Seriously though, this is by far the best One Piece special and even surpasses possibly all the movies. This is something all fans of the franchise NEED to see, and probably even some non-fans too. hosanna you can just watch this to complete the contract.

I watched this a few weeks back, to busy to make a write up but I find it quite funny that we have a different opinion on it, especially on certain parts.

Why is Deus(God) from Mirai Nikki called Deus Ex Machina on sites like MAL? Deus Ex Machina is a plot device, wikipage says this: "The term deus ex machina is used to refer to a narrative ending in which an improbable event is used to resolve all problematic situations and bring the story to a (generally happy) conclusion."

firehawk12

Subete no aware

SHAAAAAAAAAAAFT
It's SHAFT. Come on. Also, I tend to think most TV to feature films end up sucking.
It's not like Shaft is completely devoid of integrity or creativity or something. I mean, Madoka exists in the first place after all. I just wonder if someone decided they wanted to make a sequel movie and suddenly it became a damn trilogy... because that's what people do nowdays.

I'm sorry that you didn't like it. I certainly never meant to imply that the series wasn't dialogue-heavy, so I apologize if you got that impression from me. (Although this movie is way less dialogue-heavy than the series proper.)
It wasn't the dialog, just the politics and macro-nature of the battles. Even if you take out all the boring Reinhart and... blonde guy political stuff, the battles themselves were just dry because a) everything exists on a 2d plane or ships fire from the front and b) everyone has a billion ships, so you're pretty much seeing guys playing Starcraft 2 instead of seeing people captaining their ships.

I'm sure it's fine, but I just wanted to see something that was... well, like some of the things I listed in a reply to Jex (I believe) earlier. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to syfy, especially stuff set in space, but even so. lol

(I'm hearing the BSG version of All Along the Watchtower in my head now... I hope I'm not a secret robot!)

duckroll

Why is Deus(God) from Mirai Nikki called Deus Ex Machina on sites like MAL? Deus Ex Machina is a plot device, wikipage says this: "The term deus ex machina is used to refer to a narrative ending in which an improbable event is used to resolve all problematic situations and bring the story to a (generally happy) conclusion."

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, because the character is called Deus Ex Machina. It's not something any particular site made up.

/XX/

That is the complete original given name (http://www.future-diary.tv/chara/deus.html). 'Deus ex machina' (デウス・エクス・マキナ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom