• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Shinsekai yori Episode 04

iQMxnV703zaOd.jpg

Oh wow. Very interesting episode.

Pretty dialogue heavy (mainly in the first half) but a lot of the information given was interesting and just everything about this episode felt very intense.
The reactions from each child as their entire worldview was shattered in a matter of minutes was pretty damn unsettling.
Looks like things are going to heat up very quickly especially after that last scene.

With all the information laid out like that and with developments about to happen judging by the next episode preview (
Priest guy is so dead huh
) I'm really excited for next week.

wonzo

Banned
tlnote: nakama means "a Japanese word that directly translates to friend, comrades, and under some context such as One Piece, crewmates. Most fans of the series believes the word means "people who are considered closer than family", though that is not a part of the official dictionary definition of the word.
The special bond the word has come to represent to the fans comes from the way Luffy's crew in particular treat each other. However, Luffy and his crew are simply good to each other. This is shown often as most other pirates do not treat their so-called "nakama" with as much respect. There are some exceptions, like the Arlong Pirates and Buggy Pirates, after Buggy's fight with Luffy. Others, like Don Krieg and Crocodile, do not have any respect for their crewmates/associates (but still know that they are essential for maximum success) while some pirates even willingly kill their own "nakama" like Kuro.

One would say that "good" pirates in One Piece treat each other with respect; the Straw Hat Pirates being an obvious example. However, this is also exhibited by the Red Hair Pirates, Whitebeard Pirates, Rumbar Pirates, and, oddly enough the Blackbeard Pirates. Foxy however, treats his crew differently. He has a rather massive crew of 500, and is perfectly willing to risk his crewmates in several games known as the Davy Back Fight. In these games, one can be forced to become someone's "Nakama" against their will.

Conversely, one of the tightest knit crews in the entire series, the Whitebeard Pirates do not often refer to each other as "Nakama", but act as though they are family, referring to their captain as "Father" (Oyaji).

The majority of fans, who watch fansubs, feel that the word has such an impact on the show, and thus the word nakama should remain as it is, and not be translated to something like "shipmate" or "crewmate". However, there is nothing in the Japanese language that suggests the word has this special meaning, so it is basically a fan-term to the English speaking fanbase, as Oda has never made any comments in interviews or SBS answers that would lead credence to it."

Narag

One Piece: Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of a Japanese word that directly translates to friend, comrades, and under some context such as One Piece, crewmates. Most fans of the series believes the word means "people who are considered closer than family", though that is not a part of the official dictionary definition of the word.The special bond the word has come to represent to the fans comes from the way Luffy's crew in particular treat each other. However, Luffy and his crew are simply good to each other. This is shown often as most other pirates do not treat their so-called "nakama" with as much respect. There are some exceptions, like the Arlong Pirates and Buggy Pirates, after Buggy's fight with Luffy. Others, like Don Krieg and Crocodile, do not have any respect for their crewmates/associates (but still know that they are essential for maximum success) while some pirates even willingly kill their own "nakama" like Kuro. One would say that "good" pirates in One Piece treat each other with respect; the Straw Hat Pirates being an obvious example. However, this is also exhibited by the Red Hair Pirates, Whitebeard Pirates, Rumbar Pirates, and, oddly enough the Blackbeard Pirates. Foxy however, treats his crew differently. He has a rather massive crew of 500, and is perfectly willing to risk his crewmates in several games known as the Davy Back Fight. In these games, one can be forced to become someone's "Nakama" against their will.Conversely, one of the tightest knit crews in the entire series, the Whitebeard Pirates do not often refer to each other as "Nakama", but act as though they are family, referring to their captain as "Father" (Oyaji). The majority of fans, who watch fansubs, feel that the word has such an impact on the show, and thus the word nakama should remain as it is, and not be translated to something like "shipmate" or "crewmate". However, there is nothing in the Japanese language that suggests the word has this special meaning, so it is basically a fan-term to the English speaking fanbase, as Oda has never made any comments in interviews or SBS answers that would lead credence to it. is kind of an unwieldy title. Best to leave it untranslated.

Branduil

From the New World 1

Dat atmosphere. I hope that prick who was shitting on Reiko
(;_;)
gets eaten/maimed/murderized. Saki was a little too cartoony with her numerous "baka!!!!" moments, but other than that she's cool.

Some speculah that will probably be shot down in the second episode:

-Saki says the school reminds her of the farm because the kids are totally, like, caged animals being bred and groomed and stuff, man
-The faze/filth cat is a tool being used by the governing body to cull children with low Psi Strength
-The history lesson about the bridge being cut was incomplete/bullshit
-Red will be Best Girl
-Saki will form a contract with the faze cat to resurrect
Reiko
and become Meguca

Episode 4 spoilers:

-Fairly close
-They're culling the children, but for psychological reasons too, not just because their PK is weak.
-Yep.
-I dunno about that.
-Reiko's gone, bro.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's the official party ruining game™

Didn't play your skip card? Didn't call a bluff? Played the wrong color to screw over your partner? Constantly getting your turn skipped even though you only have one card left?

Then there's the "You have one card left but you somehow just ended up with half the deck."

Everyone underestimates the amount of pure evil contained in those colorful little cards.

Dresden

The majority of fans pirates & thieves, who watch fansubs, feel that the word has such an impact on the show, and thus the word nakama should remain as it is, and not be translated to something like "shipmate" or "crewmate"
It's true: anime fans are horrible people.

Didn't play your skip card? Didn't call a bluff? Played the wrong color to screw over your partner? Constantly getting your turn skipped even though you only have one card left?

Then there's the "You have one card left but you somehow just ended up with half the deck."

Everyone underestimates the amount of pure evil contained in those colorful little cards.

Wild Draw Four is best card.

Instro

From the New World 4

God damn that was good. I was really impressed by the variety of reactions shown by the kids to what they were learning, particularly Saki as she goes through a pretty extreme emotional reaction
that really takes a turn when we see her in during what appears to be a moment in which she lost control of her powers. Judging from what the library had to say it looks like the scientists did indeed take over, what they did from there isn't quite known. I'm thinking that the queerats were once humans who were turned into beasts. Perhaps that's what the scientists did to the other "tribes" to pacify and remove them from the picture. The priest definitely had a rough time killing them, and Saki does speculate that they look human as well.

Definitely all I was hoping for out of this episode. Action, drama, good storytelling, and a lot of info to help flesh out what the audience and the characters know about this world. They set it up in a big way last week and I certainly felt that we got the pay off this week. Really excited for the next one. :)

Oh yeah, no bad music this week from what I remember hearing this week. As I thought before, it seems like a problem that only comes up during certain types of scenes. The upbeat ones that is.

Dresden

Our first mistake is attempting to translate such a unique word like 'nakama' into a women-hating white Christian language like English.

One Piece: Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of a Japanese word that directly translates to friend, comrades, and under some context such as One Piece, crewmates. Most fans of the series believes the word means "people who are considered closer than family", though that is not a part of the official dictionary definition of the word.The special bond the word has come to represent to the fans comes from the way Luffy's crew in particular treat each other. However, Luffy and his crew are simply good to each other. This is shown often as most other pirates do not treat their so-called "nakama" with as much respect. There are some exceptions, like the Arlong Pirates and Buggy Pirates, after Buggy's fight with Luffy. Others, like Don Krieg and Crocodile, do not have any respect for their crewmates/associates (but still know that they are essential for maximum success) while some pirates even willingly kill their own "nakama" like Kuro. One would say that "good" pirates in One Piece treat each other with respect; the Straw Hat Pirates being an obvious example. However, this is also exhibited by the Red Hair Pirates, Whitebeard Pirates, Rumbar Pirates, and, oddly enough the Blackbeard Pirates. Foxy however, treats his crew differently. He has a rather massive crew of 500, and is perfectly willing to risk his crewmates in several games known as the Davy Back Fight. In these games, one can be forced to become someone's "Nakama" against their will.Conversely, one of the tightest knit crews in the entire series, the Whitebeard Pirates do not often refer to each other as "Nakama", but act as though they are family, referring to their captain as "Father" (Oyaji). The majority of fans, who watch fansubs, feel that the word has such an impact on the show, and thus the word nakama should remain as it is, and not be translated to something like "shipmate" or "crewmate". However, there is nothing in the Japanese language that suggests the word has this special meaning, so it is basically a fan-term to the English speaking fanbase, as Oda has never made any comments in interviews or SBS answers that would lead credence to it. is kind of an unwieldy title. Best to leave it untranslated.

I dunno. It might look nice on a DVD cover.

Jex

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure TV] - 3

Okay so, yeah, this story is extremely entertaining, however David Production's limitations are more obvious here than ever. For an episode packed with action there was a surprisingly low amount of decent animation coupled with a surprisingly how amount of really close shots that meant you really couldn't work out what was going on. It was like they animated the panels from the manga without working out how to make that look good in animation. Weird.

Grzi

Getter Robo Armageddon 7-13 (END):

Fucking incredible. I'm undecided on whether or not I should even review this critically as it so clearly deliberately put badassery and spectacle over logic that I'm not sure what I can even say right now. At least for the moment, I'm too stunned trying to absorb the towering greatness of the audiovisual experience to say anything worthwhile. Chest status after watching: incredibly hairy. I think this is my cue to finally watch Giant Robo.

I'm so sorry for dragging my feet, Grzi. Thank you for bestowing this upon me, as I probably wouldn't have sought it out on my own for several years.

;____________;
I'm glad you liked it, there's no need for reason or logic when it comes to stuff like this. It topped TTGL's epicness before TTGL ever happened.

Getter Robo vs Metal Beast Dragon => Stoner Sunshine event
= Heaven. Gonna rewatch that clip now!

Also if you end up enjoying Giant Robo, rocket punch, not walk, your way to Shin Mazinger Z. There's also Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo and New Getter Robo that might be worth your time.

Yup, those are really good, also Mazinkaiser, although none match up to Getter Robo Armageddon.

Of course, Giant Robo is even better than it, and you should watch it as soon as possible Mad Pierrot!

wonzo

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 2

Fuck yeah, that was certainly an incredibly explosive start to what should hopefully be an incredibly enjoyable series about humanity's last hope. I wonder if it'll just end up focusing on the Yamato or if it'll switch back to Earth every now and then as the social unrest sounded pretty interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Legend of Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War

a69ypl.jpg

Yeah, I think this is just a bit too silly for me. The scale is so insanely out of whack that the numbers are meaningless. And, maybe because I came in not expecting talking heads, it was a bit off putting to open the movie with talking heads opining about the future of the state... followed by even more people talking at each other for a while until we get to the Yang parts.

(And god, the Yang parts with the awkward love triangle were just such a relief after all that stuff.)

s2D2kl.jpg

I did find the ending of the battle hilariously impressive, both because of the scale and because of how insane this formation would be if it happened in the real world. Kirk would school these guys so hard... and all he would need is a single starship (and a star to guide her by).

(Also, what kind of jackass has a recliner on their starship? Even tea drinking Picard wasn't that self-indulgent! lol).

I'm sure there's a good show in here, but it's unfortunately not what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 2
Fuck yeah, that was certainly an incredibly explosive start to what should hopefully be an incredibly enjoyable series about humanity's last hope. I wonder if it'll just end up focusing on the Yamato or if it'll switch back to Earth every now and then as the social unrest sounded pretty interesting.
Aww yeah!

Branduil

Legend of Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War

a69ypl.jpg

Yeah, I think this is just a bit too silly for me. The scale is so insanely out of whack that the numbers are meaningless. And, maybe because I came in not expecting talking heads, it was a bit off putting to open the movie with talking heads opining about the future of the state... followed by even more people talking at each other for a while until we get to the Yang parts.

(And god, the Yang parts with the awkward love triangle were just such a relief after all that stuff.)

s2D2kl.jpg

I did find the ending of the battle hilariously impressive, both because of the scale and because of how insane this formation would be if it happened in the real world. Kirk would school these guys so hard... and all he would need is a single starship (and a star to guide her by).

(Also, what kind of jackass has a recliner on their starship? Even tea drinking Picard wasn't that self-indulgent! lol).

I'm sure there's a good show in here, but it's unfortunately not what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

Aww yeah!

What are you in the mood for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom