• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

My fear is that the show becomes about the world building/mythology and that the characters become pieces that get moved around only to showcase the mythology. I'm done with that format of genre television.

Well, that seems like more of a thing in American television right now. The one English review of From the New World I read seemed to indicate it would be pretty character-focused, so I'm hopeful.

yami4ct

Accel World 02
Ok, this series does have some hooks. I can see why someone would like it. The battles are frantic in a fun way and the animation looks pretty good. Avatar designs range from god awful, bucktooth robot dude, to pretty awesome, silver IronMan ripoff, but are pretty neat overall. Music is a bit boring and the protagonist is still insufferable, but it just bought itself at least one more episode from me.

I think this show fits in with the discussion of "hooks" going on earlier. I feel like it would have kept my interest if it had somehow showed me more of what it had in its first episode. Maybe they could have cut to a battle between two random other dudes? I don't know, all I know is it should have tipped its hand more first episode. Not doing so is a near fatal mistake in my book.

wonzo

Banned
At least the Toeiness in Smile seems to be less frequent than in Saint Seiya Omega.
Saint Seiya Omega in a nutshell:

ssomega6a.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World 02
Ok, this series does have some hooks. I can see why someone would like it. The battles are frantic in a fun way and the animation looks pretty good. Avatar designs range from god awful, bucktooth robot dude, to pretty awesome, silver IronMan ripoff, but are pretty neat overall. Music is a bit boring and the protagonist is still insufferable, but it just bought itself at least one more episode from me.

I think this show fits in with the discussion of "hooks" going on earlier. I feel like it would have kept my interest if it had somehow showed me more of what it had in its first episode. Maybe they could have cut to a battle between two random other dudes? I don't know, all I know is it should have tipped its hand more first episode. Not doing so is a near fatal mistake in my book.

Yeah Yeah! KEEP GOIN!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh look, here comes the "it gets better when you watch up to episode [x]" defense force. Lol.
also called the Hyouka defence force.
Ok, finally back from checking out part of my first batch of recommendations. Guess I'll tackle the reviews in the order I checked them out.
I like you. Can we Saya-protect him? I don't want him to suffer the fate of all those others today.
It's true!

You couldn't make this shit up. Why you so cray cray Ikuhara?
I still haven't had the time to check up my Utena boxsets. :(

yami4ct

Tsuritama already has some of my favorite moments in a while just in 3 episodes. That scene with Akira, Tapioca and the shop girl is amazing.

Shop Girl:"Aww, what's your name"
Akira:"Akira"
Shop Girl:"........"
Akira" He's tapioca."

Perfect comedic timing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I told my mom about Bunny Drop and she's interested in watching it. Now to just make time to see it when she's not working and I dont have to sleep.
I've been trying to get my dad hooked on Utena for months now. :( Or any other anime for that matter. One would think someone who actually introduced me to Evangelion would be open for some crazy shit.

cajunator

Banned
Does anyone feel sad that people write off great animes because of its visual style? I'm watching Steins;Gate and reminded of how great and fun it is. Yet I feel like people wouldn't watch it cuz it's.... you know... anime.

Yeah, because for me the animation style is a huge plus. If its a unique style with crazy effects, all the better.

Accel World 02

Accel World is definitely a show that could have condensed the first three episodes or so into the first one somehow and hooked the audience better. But I think you are starting to chip into the meat of it and the next few episodes will make or break it for you. also you will later encounter a particular character who might drive you up the wall. well a couple.

Does anyone feel sad that people write off great animes because of its visual style? I'm watching Steins;Gate and reminded of how great and fun it is. Yet I feel like people wouldn't watch it cuz it's.... you know... anime.
This is purely anecdotal, but Steins;Gate seems to be a bit of an exception in that it appeals even to people who don't normally watch anime.
Accel World is definitely a show that could have condensed the first three episodes or so into the first one somehow and hooked the audience better. But I think you are starting to chip into the meat of it and the next few episodes will make or break it for you. also you will later encounter a particular character who might drive you up the wall. well a couple.
But he's already met Kuroyukihime.
ihJVliJQS4HcM.gif

kayos90

This is purely anecdotal, but Steins;Gate seems to be a bit of an exception in that it appeals even to people who don't normally watch anime.

But he's already met Kuroyukihime.
ihJVliJQS4HcM.gif

Really? I know a lot of my friends would never watch Steins;Gate cuz it's an anime.

KYH is awesome though. I think cajun was talking about annoying characters.

How Funi treating 2chan references in the localization?

It's actually disappointing in this aspect. They allude to it but it doesn't translate well unless you understand the references so it's not AS funny. Still funny to see the interaction that follows though.

Branduil

One thing I liked in From the New World that I haven't talked about yet is the digital filter effect they used in this shot:

It feels like the entire image is being distorted, melted or destroyed and sent into a state of chaos, which fits because
we know from the rest of the episode that these children's actions
lead to the destruction and dissolution of civilization as we know it. In addition, the effect has a sort of wave-like structure, such that it gives the impression of a psychic attack, as if the camera is being directly assaulted. It's a powerful visual cap to the entire sequence.

Also, the word "dissolve" can be taken to mean melting or breaking something up, like what this digital effect seems to be doing to the image. But dissolve is also a filmmaking term referring to a gradual transition from one image to another. So you could consider this effect a sort of visual pun, lol.

fertygo

Yeah I think S;G not appealing casual people.
It's actually disappointing in this aspect. They allude to it but it doesn't translate well unless you understand the references so it's not AS funny. Still funny to see the interaction that follows though.

Example?

I like how the fan translator for the anime and game just switch it to 4chan reference.

kayos90

Yeah I think S;G not appealing casual people.

Example?

I like how the fan translator for the anime and game just switch it to 4chan reference.

There's one part where Okabe is behind Kurisu when she's browsing @channel but it comes across differently from the actual Japanese dub and the English dub. In addition, some of the inflections that were portrayed in the JP dub is sort of... non-existent in the ENG dub. However, the dub is still very solid and still great.

Inu x Boku SS 13

Oh, I miss this show. Quite a lot after watching this episode.

So three short stories which were done pretty well.

Goes from Little Ms. TsunTsun discovering her inner shotacon and lesbian, MANIAC! and playing soap opera house. Part three was especially funny and made me miss this show even more.

MANIAC!

fertygo

Can you get S;G joke if you rarely watch anime tho?
There's one part where Okabe is behind Kurisu when she's browsing @channel but it comes across differently from the actual Japanese dub and the English dub. In addition, some of the inflections that were portrayed in the JP dub is sort of... non-existent in the ENG dub. However, the dub is still very solid and still great.

Not clear enough :(
But oh well...

cajunator

Banned
Inu x Boku SS 13

Oh, I miss this show. Quite a lot after watching this episode.

So three short stories which were done pretty well.

Goes from Little Ms. TsunTsun discovering her inner shotacon and lesbian, MANIAC! and playing soap opera house. Part three was especially funny and made me miss this show even more.

MANIAC!

I honestly didnt know what to make of that show other than I liked the supernatural elements and of course the characters are cute. It was just...there. I watched it and forgot most of it.
It sold pretty well too, I guess because Ririchiyo and that pink haired girl are adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom