• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
All I know is that with all of the complaints about how anime is creatively dead nowadays due to "moe" or whatever, this should be people's chance to actually make a difference without hiding behind things like import fees and not being in Japan. Hopefully people step up to the plate! It's their chance to put their money where their mouth is.

(I won't though because I like the "safe" anime. :D)

Anime is definitely not creatively dead. It almost always had cute character designs, but now that is a strong selling point. I do not blame companies for doing this at all. However it does not make or break a show.

Tsuritama 01
Oh boy, this show guys. This freaking show. It has everything. It has an interesting premise and characters, the writing is hilarious and top notch, it's supremely well animated and it's short. This show is a dream come true.

To do an actual review, I loved everything about it. We get to see a great trio of mains who all bring something interesting to the table. We get an interesting set-up for a conflict and an original backdrop of fishing. Also, did I see that right? A
Duck
as a villain? I couldn't stop laughing. The animation is also really, really good. The colors and style they use really pop. They give it a great poppy soundtrack as well to keep it moving. So good.

Tsuritama has lovely art and it has fishing and aliens. Indeed what more could you possibly want?

sonicmj1

Ah, for some reason I thought "hook" was "book". Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

And like I said, I just think there are problems with using dramatic irony as a hook - in this type of fiction in particular.

I don't really think of this sort of thing as dramatic irony, at least because it tells us so little. In fact, on its own it tells us nothing about the current situation the characters are in. It's just a piece of setting establishing a link between our present and theirs. Nier uses a similar device, and I think it worked well in that case too.

To quote Wikipedia:
Dramatic irony has three stages—installation, exploitation, and resolution (often also called preparation, suspension, and resolution)—producing dramatic conflict in what one character relies or appears to rely upon, the contrary of which is known by observers (especially the audience; sometimes to other characters within the drama) to be true.

That standard is not met by something like the precredits sequence in From the New World, at least in my view. The pieces of knowledge about the world that the characters rely on match the gaps in what we know.

trejo

I think I might try out some Oshii on her when I visit home this winter, maybe GITS. She is aware of the existence of "that movie with the egg and the hair" (haha) just from me talking about it all the time, and she is totally on my artsy movie wavelength, so that will have to come in time.

Perhaps an Angel's Egg and Midori double feature is in order.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Steins;Gate 07-08 DUB

The writing is fantastic and the translation is pretty good. The script is also well improvised. Correction thanks to sonicmj1.

cajunator

Banned
I told my mom about Bunny Drop and she's interested in watching it. Now to just make time to see it when she's not working and I dont have to sleep.

Branduil

An interesting example of this is TTGL. It opens with a bombastic scene that really has no actual relation to the rest of the show, but does an excellent job of portraying the style the rest of the show follows.

I don't really like it when the hook is a scene that never actually happens. It feels dishonest.

duckroll

So, ducky, what figures did your Scrapped Princess set come with?

These:

RKYED.jpg

VH3fj.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Let's assume that people don't have time to watch every show in the world, because they usually don't. In that case, you are competing with other forms of entertainment for people's time. This means that how you open a show is vital, because it's in the first few moments that you can make or break your audience. So it's usually advisable to try and "hook" viewers with a scene that's exciting, and that relates to main themes and tone of the show.
I probably should have edited. I thought you said "opening book" instead of hook, if you read my reply to cajun. lol

I don't really think of this sort of thing as dramatic irony, at least because it tells us so little. In fact, on its own it tells us nothing about the current situation the characters are in. It's just a piece of setting establishing a link between our present and theirs. Nier uses a similar device, and I think it worked well in that case too.

To quote Wikipedia:
That standard is not met by something like the precredits sequence in From the New World, at least in my view. The pieces of knowledge about the world that the characters rely on match the gaps in what we know.
It's dramatic irony about the mythology, because I am assuming that the characters have no inkling about what happened a thousand years prior.

Perhaps there's a good reason to give us that specific information, but I'm just wondering if it is necessary at the moment. I'm just worried that it'll be a show about the mythology more than anything else.

Branduil

So, have there been any negative impressions about From the New World besides cosmic's? AnimeGAF seems remarkably united in approval so far.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't really like it when the hook is a scene that never actually happens. It feels dishonest.

That's why I pointed it out as an interesting example! I do prefer the movie's intro, though. It does a great job at introducing a lot of different aspects of the series that only become apparent later on, after you've finished watching. It's only 3 minutes long or so, but it also manages to really solidify
Lord Genome
as well, in a way the series really didn't get to.

OceanBlue

So, have there been any negative impressions about From the New World besides cosmic's? AnimeGAF seems remarkably united in approval so far.

Cosmic wasn't a huge fan, if I remember correctly. I haven't watched it yet but I don't think my opinion will be particularly negative unless there's something I just can't bring myself to ignore.

Edit: Dang it, the edit gets me again!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I think might be due more to the fact that simply not that many people have actually commented on it yet.

cajunator

Banned

OK, I have all of the ones in the first pic except the three in the back row, upper right.
I also have the two large figures there but not the swimsuit one.s Looks like I didnt miss out on too much.

Its a really solid first episode. Not much to dislike about it.

Jex

150k seems like a low bar, but yeah he's a bit niche.

It's certainly not a lot compared to other Kickstarters but I feel they have a much smaller market to tap.

Plus, I hear anime fans don't even buy anime, let alone fund it.

duckroll

Also, is it just me or does the large Pacifica figure look like she was supposed to be holding something? The fist placement is really odd looking and uncomfortable. I guess the Japanese one has this weird pose as well.

The only replies I can think of all involve lewd things. So I'll just leave it to your imagination. >_>

yami4ct

Is it okay if I welcome you to AnimeGAF for the second time in a day?

I think the recommendations of Tsuritama and Space Brothers are welcome enough. I think I'll like it here.

Just caught the second episode of Tsuritama. I can't believe it gets even better. I need more Duck, though. He's the real star.

cajunator

Banned
I think the recommendations of Tsuritama and Space Brothers are welcome enough I think I'll like it here.

Just caught the second episode of Tsuritama. I can't believe it gets even better. I need more Duck, though. He's the real star.

In Accel World, a lot of people found the real world stuff frustrating. Admittedly its mostly because I like slice of life a lot as well as the cute character designs so I dont mind it, but most prefer the in-game action parts. It does get pretty fun at times.
Glad you like the other two though.
You should check out Jinrui also known as Humanity Has Declined.

Moyashimon Season 1

This was genuinely awesome. The cast was full of great characters and everything was full of energy even when learning about fermentation. This has quickly shot up to one of my favorite shows. On to season 2!

Jex

So, does anyone see that Kickstarter hitting it's goal? If you don't, how high do you think it will get?

Personally, I think it's a little bit of a problem that there's not a single reward tier between $250 and a $10,000. That's, er, quite a jump.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Moyashimon Season 1

This was genuinely awesome. The cast was full of great characters and everything was full of energy even when learning about fermentation. This has quickly shot up to one of my favorite shows. On to season 2!

I'm glad more people are beginning to catch on to Moyashimon, it felt like such a fresh concept when I watched it a few months ago.

Dresden

So, does anyone see that Kickstarter hitting it's goal? If you don't, how high do you think it will get?

Personally, I think it's a little bit of a problem that there's not a single reward tier between $250 and a $10,000. That's, er, quite a jump.

Oshii's sullen presence doesn't come cheaply.

But really though, dunno, feeling more pessimistic about its chances than anything else.

Jex

The potential problem is that you make the mythology more important than the actual characters and whatnot.
Then it becomes what the island is about and why do the numbers keep appearing and what is the hatch for and all that crap.

It was always about the characters, firehawk12. Didn't you listen to all those panels?

duckroll

Yeah I think there's a missed opportunity there, because they could put signed layout/character sheets and official cel reproductions there. In fact, I think I'll suggest it.

OceanBlue

Oshii's sullen presence doesn't come cheaply.

But really though, dunno, feeling more pessimistic about its chances than anything else.

I'm also feeling pretty pessimistic about it. I don't know why, but I can't imagine more than 1,500 people contributing at least 100, even if that number of people isn't relatively big compared to things like Youtube visits or whatever. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Jex

Yeah I think there's a missed opportunity there, because they could put signed layout/character sheets and official cel reproductions there. In fact, I think I'll suggest it.

That sounds like a good idea. I feel that really big fans might be willing to part with $500-$1,000 for some really nice rewards, but I really can't see anyone dropping $10,000.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So... you don't like im@s all that much?

Look at what you've made me do.
I mean I like it a decent amount. I think it just barely snuck into my top ten last year. If I recommended it to you it was probably as a joke though. I don't remember the context in Mumble!
I still have to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom