• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, does anyone see that Kickstarter hitting it's goal? If you don't, how high do you think it will get?

Personally, I think it's a little bit of a problem that there's not a single reward tier between $250 and a $10,000. That's, er, quite a jump.
It's a pretty modest goal though. Remember when Ryan Payton asked for half a mill to make an iOS game?

It was always about the characters, firehawk12. Didn't you listen to all those panels?
If you say so. :p

Oshii's sullen presence doesn't come cheaply.

But really though, dunno, feeling more pessimistic about its chances than anything else.
They probably don't want to deal with mailing out too many physical goods? I'm not sure.

I'm also feeling pretty pessimistic about it. I don't know why, but I can't imagine more than 1,500 people contributing at least 100, even if that number of people isn't relatively big compared to things like Youtube visits or whatever. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.
Well, even if they only get 2,500-3000 people at the 60 dollar level, that's basically on the low end of a standard anime BD sale. It's just a matter of anime nerds funding this thing instead of buying another volume of Don't Fuck Your Sister or Amagami Chocolate or Campione.

duckroll

The rep for Production IG replied:

"Thanks for the feedback. I think that is a good idea--I will discuss with my colleagues at I.G and see what we might be able to add."

Thanks for noticing the lack of tiers Jex. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The rep for Production IG replied:

"Thanks for the feedback. I think that is a good idea--I will discuss with my colleagues at I.G and see what we might be able to add."

Thanks for noticing the lack of tiers Jex. :)
You should ask them if the physical goods tiers include shipping, or they might get screwed when the final numbers come in.

Jex

It's a pretty modest goal though. Remember when Ryan Payton asked for half a mill to make an iOS game?
Well, regarding the tiers, I feel that there's only a few of them because I imagine they don't want to have to worry about the Kickstarter costing them too much - certain people (Idlethumbs) had goals which really cost them a lot of money to fulfil. You don't want to do something like that with your goals.

You say it's modest, which is correct, but it's a completely different audience. Ryan Payton could tap into all his friends in videogame development and all his friends in 'Journalism' and podcast land to campaign hard for weeks.

Who the heck knows Yuasa? Even among anime fans he's niche director, which makes him a niche within a niche. Maybe he'll get 5,000 backers, even if we count everyone whose ever watched his stuff.

I'll probably drop $60 on it later.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Does anyone feel sad that people write off great animes because of its visual style? I'm watching Steins;Gate and reminded of how great and fun it is. Yet I feel like people wouldn't watch it cuz it's.... you know... anime.

duckroll

You should ask them if the physical goods tiers include shipping, or they might get screwed when the final numbers come in.

Have you seen their 10k tier?

"[ The Michinoku Driver II ] :A private tour of Production I.G + A dinner with the Kick Heart’s Director, Masaaki Yuasa, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, the CEO of Production I.G and Mamoru Oshii, director of Ghost in the Shell) + Travel and Accomodation(1 night) in Tokyo + Blu-ray (1080p) + "Kick-Heart" HD Digital Download (720p) + "Making of Kick-Heart" Digital Download (720p) + Character Designs PDF + Background Art PDF + Digital Storyboard PDF +1 Giclee Background Art Print Signed by Yuasa + Special "Platinum Sponsor" website and film credit"

Lololol. It's going to end up being a 6k tier for them. Lol. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have you seen their 10k tier?

"[ The Michinoku Driver II ] :A private tour of Production I.G + A dinner with the Kick Heart’s Director, Masaaki Yuasa, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, the CEO of Production I.G and Mamoru Oshii, director of Ghost in the Shell) + Travel and Accomodation(1 night) in Tokyo + Blu-ray (1080p) + "Kick-Heart" HD Digital Download (720p) + "Making of Kick-Heart" Digital Download (720p) + Character Designs PDF + Background Art PDF + Digital Storyboard PDF +1 Giclee Background Art Print Signed by Yuasa + Special "Platinum Sponsor" website and film credit"

Lololol. It's going to end up being a 6k tier for them. Lol. :(

I can't imagine that includes a flight. They probably mean a taxi to get around or something...

sonicmj1

It's dramatic irony about the mythology, because I am assuming that the characters have no inkling about what happened a thousand years prior.

Perhaps there's a good reason to give us that specific information, but I'm just wondering if it is necessary at the moment. I'm just worried that it'll be a show about the mythology more than anything else.

In the most basic sense, it is information that we know, but the characters do not. On the other hand, it's not information that affects how the characters behave. If the characters knew there was a different, modern society 1000 years ago, but then people got powers, misused them, and now things are different, would they behave any differently than they did in that episode? I doubt it. That basic tale might even be part of their literature curriculum.

I guess you're right that it's not necessary (or it doesn't seem that way) that we know this right now. Still, it seems like the idea that this world arises from our present matters to the author. Going by that interview, he cares that we believe the way these characters act, and the events that result, are an aspect of the way we live now, and not just something rooted in a fantasy universe.

If it turns into a show entirely focused on learning what happened in the distant past to the exclusion of the current setting or proper character development, then that'd be a shame. But Nier avoided that even though it started with a plot hook 1300 years prior to the rests of the game. I'm sure that this can manage the same thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the most basic sense, it is information that we know, but the characters do not. On the other hand, it's not information that affects how the characters behave. If the characters knew there was a different, modern society 1000 years ago, but then people got powers, misused them, and now things are different, would they behave any differently than they did in that episode? I doubt it. That basic tale might even be part of their literature curriculum.

I guess you're right that it's not necessary (or it doesn't seem that way) that we know this right now. Still, it seems like the idea that this world arises from our present matters to the author. Going by that interview, he cares that we believe the way these characters act, and the events that result, are an aspect of the way we live now, and not just something rooted in a fantasy universe.

If it turns into a show entirely focused on learning what happened in the distant past to the exclusion of the current setting or proper character development, then that'd be a shame. But Nier avoided that even though it started with a plot hook 1300 years prior to the rests of the game. I'm sure that this can manage the same thing.
Yeah, but I just think there are ways to ground the show in "reality" without a prologue like that. Especially in an audio-visual medium like animation. With Jinrui, they just handle stuff that comes from "our time", so even though there are fairies running around, we can assume that it's supposed to be "our future".

It's just a small nit to pick. As long as there are no numbers or polar bears or smoke monsters, I'll be fine.

Cheapskates...
It's the anime industry after all!

Yeah I guess I misread that!
It'd be worth it if it included a flight anyway! lol

Relevant to this discussion.

trejo

Hey man, for 10k I want to be able to rest my head on Oshii's lap while he feeds me grapes and whispers sweet nothings in my ear.

duckroll

Yeah, but I just think there are ways to ground the show in "reality" without a prologue like that. Especially in an audio-visual medium like animation. With Jinrui, they just handle stuff that comes from "our time", so even though there are fairies running around, we can assume that it's supposed to be "our future".

It's just a small nit to pick. As long as there are no numbers or polar bears or smoke monsters, I'll be fine.

I'll bite. I do not feel the prologue pieces in New World are meant to ground the show in reality. If that is the case, they don't really need to do anything, since the setting is pretty grounded to begin with. There is a particular reason why building up the gap from our modern world to the far future of New World is important. A major theme in the story is supposed to be about evolution, both in terms of humanity as well as that of the world around us. So showing the development of that process visually seems like a core part of the show's concept.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stop being so entitled.
I hope they patch the ending and Oshii ends up retiring.

I'll bite. I do not feel the prologue pieces in New World are meant to ground the show in reality. If that is the case, they don't really need to do anything, since the setting is pretty grounded to begin with. There is a particular reason why building up the gap from our modern world to the far future of New World is important. A major theme in the story is supposed to be about evolution, both in terms of humanity as well as that of the world around us. So showing the development of that process visually seems like a core part of the show's concept.
I'm just wondering how much of this is just based on the fact that they're - I'm assuming anyway - doing a straight adaptation of the book. I assume that's where all the spoilers are coming from?

Jex

Accel World 01
Oh boy did this episode not do a great job on selling its series. The main character is one of the most obnoxiously timid, self-loathing protagonists I've seen. I mean, he even choose a pig as his in-game avatar. He clearly has self-image issues. The character designs are so miss-matched and strangely styled to the point of being awkward. None of the other side characters have shown anything interesting yet. Battle scene and its animation at the very end are promising, though. I'll give it a bit more time, but so far I'm not impressed.
Look at that, firehawk12. Isn't it tempting?

Most "meet the creators" tier for Kickstarter that I've seen have the stipulation that you have to pay for travel and lodging yourself. If they're at least putting you up in a hotel thats way better than other kickstarters.

Jex

To put my pessimism about Yuasa's Kickstarter in a different light, how many volumes do you think his shows actually sold? It's go to below a thousand.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
To put my pessimism about Yuasa's Kickstarter in a different light, how many volumes do you think his shows actually sold? It's go to below a thousand.

Maybe they'll manage to fund this project by giving away unsold DVDs of Yuasa's old shows as rewards with any more reward tiers they introduce.

Branduil

Well, there are always different ways to do things. I don't think the way From the New World does it is invalid, and I think the show is highlighting these scenes because the reason for the current state of the world will probably be pretty important to the development of the main characters. I mean that's pretty obvious just from the fact that
the children in the "past" committing horrific murders have the same powers as the people in the "present."
So it raises the question of just whose descendants the people of the present day are, and all that that implies.

duckroll

I'm just wondering how much of this is just based on the fact that they're - I'm assuming anyway - doing a straight adaptation of the book. I assume that's where all the spoilers are coming from?

I'm not sure what you mean by spoilers. My comment was based on my observations and what the author said about the story in an interview. I don't know anything about the books themselves, nor do I want to know.

OceanBlue

Well, even if they only get 2,500-3000 people at the 60 dollar level, that's basically on the low end of a standard anime BD sale. It's just a matter of anime nerds funding this thing instead of buying another volume of Don't Fuck Your Sister or Amagami Chocolate or Campione.
As someone who has watched or read Nakaimo, Amagami, Koichoco, and Campione, I think it's kinda funny that you want people who like what you don't like to step up and fund something you want. I hope you at least respect the idea that if you (or other people who say similar rhetoric) are free to be condescending towards anime you don't like, they are free to ignore projects which promote things that don't interest them.

Westlo

I think it was Westlo who mentioned something along the lines of "...the effect of Nyarlko wears off after a few episodes." I'm on episode 3 of Nyaruko and it's already starting to feel like that. Kind of the same jokes every show with only a little development.

Yeah, it went from MARVELOUS!!! to meh pretty quickly.

That's more or less how I felt.

Episode 1 - Oh man that awesome.
Episode 2 - Okay that was considerably less awesome.
Episode 3 - Well that was better than the last one at least.
Episode 4 - Some good moments but this is getting kinda stupid.
Episode 5 - Yeah fuck this show.

Pretty much how I felt except I watched one more episode, a question for anyone who finished it... does it get any better?

I think it was Westlo who mentioned something along the lines of "...the effect of Nyarlko wears off after a few episodes." I'm on episode 3 of Nyaruko and it's already starting to feel like that. Kind of the same jokes every show with only a little development.
Yup. I don't think Nyarlko is the sin against humor that some people here do, and I enjoyed what I watched, but after three episodes I had no desire to see more.
I suppose she would hate K-On then. And damn, how can anyone like Nip/Tuck!
My sister has, uh, questionable taste in entertainment. She can't get enough Honey Boo Boo, for example.

I think I'm just going to go all in and make her watch School Days. At least I'll be able to get some enjoyment out of it even if she doesn't.

wonzo

Banned
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei) *2,430+*3,235=*5,665 (4) (Madhouse/FUNimation)
2010/08/20 *3,416 Vol. 1 (Two episodes)
2010/09/23 *2,297 Vol. 2 (Three episodes up to Vol. 4)
2010/10/22 *1,932 Vol. 3
2010/11/26 *2,076 Vol. 4
2010/08/20 *3,612 Vol. 1
2010/09/23 *3,383 Vol. 2
2010/10/22 *3,169 Vol. 3
2010/11/26 *2,775 Vol. 4

Red = BD​

I can't find numbers for Mind Game or Kemonozume and Kaiba sold so poorly it didn't even make the cutoff lololol

Jex

I wonder if we'll see any prominent figures take up the cause on Twitter? No-ones tried this kind of thing with anime before, after all.

Yeah, it went from MARVELOUS!!! to meh pretty quickly.

Pretty much how I felt except I watched one more episode, a question for anyone who finished it... does it get any better?

Not really. It gets weighed down on romance and characters not being funny anymore instead of tossing out references left and right.

Yet, I still kept going and will probably end up watching season two anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You get Iron Man though if that's any consolation.
Inferior to Batman though!

As someone who has watched or read Nakaimo, Amagami, Koichoco, and Campione, I think it's kinda funny that you want people who like what you don't like to step up and fund something you want. I hope you at least respect the idea that if you (or other people who say similar rhetoric) are free to be condescending towards anime you don't like, they are free to ignore projects which promote things that don't interest them.
My point is that if those shows can get 5k sales, then surely this thing can reach that point.

I'm not sure what you mean by spoilers. My comment was based on my observations and what the author said about the story in an interview. I don't know anything about the books themselves, nor do I want to know.
Ah, well, I don't know anything about the show whatsoever so that's my frame of reference.

Well, there are always different ways to do things. I don't think the way From the New World does it is invalid, and I think the show is highlighting these scenes because the reason for the current state of the world will probably be pretty important to the development of the main characters. I mean that's pretty obvious just from the fact that
the children in the "past" committing horrific murders have the same powers as the people in the "present."
So it raises the question of just whose descendants the people of the present day are, and all that that implies.

My fear is that the show becomes about the world building/mythology and that the characters become pieces that get moved around only to showcase the mythology. I'm done with that format of genre television.

My sister has, uh, questionable taste in entertainment. She can't get enough Honey Boo Boo, for example.

I think I'm just going to go all in and make her watch School Days. At least I'll be able to get some enjoyment out of it even if she doesn't.
Heh, that's a form of torture!

I hope you end up retiring!
It's a BioWare reference!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rinne no Lagrange 22 - END

You know when you watch something extract enough enjoyment out of it for the first half, take a 3 month break then start watching the second half, and with each passing episode you start to forget why you enjoyed it in the first place?

...Yeah.
Sequels are rarely a good thing.

This reminds me that I still need to finish Tatami Galaxy. I got to a point to where I just wanted to shout "I get it already" and stop Yuasa from browbeating me any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom