• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fear struck through my heart when I saw that, but the mid-terms had shown that the guy doesn't get the best grade just because, and his violent tendancies make him far from perfect, if the girl is going to fall for the guy it's because he's reading a shoujo guide and acting accordingly in a clueless manner.
Yeah, like I said to Mad Pierrot, I hope it's not something that defines the character. But the fear is that they make it so that he's smart and perfect so that it's "okay" for her to fall in love with him. Like he becomes the emo misunderstood genius who is perfect except that he is anti-social or whatever. Basically the reverse-Sawako, now that I think about it. lol

Let's hope it doesn't go that where anyway.

Tonari no kaibutsu kun - 01

Most annoying Haru of the year. Tsuritama's Haru had the handicap of having Miyu Irino voicing him but even with that disadvantage, Yoshida Haru takes the lead with his brand of "charming" quirkiness. I guess being an overly violent creeper is fine if you're cute with a heart of gold. That, of course, only the main girl sees at first. Because she just can. She's in love. Even when they're thirty years old with three kids in some Japanese equivalent of a trailer park and he's beating her face in, she will see it. Because it's love.

Shizuku is a fun character otherwise, though.
Well fuck me. That's probably the other reason why I made the Tsuritama connection in my head.

Joshikousei - 07

Why couldn't this show just be focused on Sayaka and Nao?! Someone, tell me! ;_;

So beautiful, so pure..
Because it's making fun of yuri and the idea that all-girl's schools breed lesbianism. lol

cajunator

Banned
I feel like you're kind of making an unfair caricature of her actions during the first episode. She reacts to the various situations that she's placed in a number of ways - they're not all "passive" in nature. Sometimes she goes with the flow, other times she rejects the options that she's faced with.

Theres one point where she just runs the hell away for a while and avoids him.
Of course she goes crawling back eventually. That happens in real life.
The problem is in real life sometimes it has a bad end (my family has experience with this s some of you know)

duckroll

I'm just about ready to post the From the New World thread, just waiting for duckroll or Hitokage to get on GAF so I can reserve the first couple of replies for stuff.

While you're at it you should check out the ED on Crunchyroll. It's actually complete now. :)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Weird thing I noticed while watching One Piece. Every time it get's a new theme, I go through the same process. At first, I absolutely hate it. It then proceeds to grow on me over subsequent episodes. By the time I actually li it, the show changes it up. Basically, the show puts me in a constant state of hating the theme song, haha.

When you hit Kaze wo Sagashite, you'll be one of a select few who end up not absolutely hating it. You'll understand why when you hear it!

Believe is the only One Piece OP that I never came around to liking. Not because of the aforementioned controversy, mind.

Jex

This post is for showing off and provides nothing else of value.

Then again, so few posts in this thread are actually worth reading I don't feel guilty at all.

Damn Haly, laying the smack down on the majority of this thread!
Loners are not too great at confrontation. You saw how nervous she was when she stood up for Haru.

Also see: Various GAF depresson/girl-age threads.

One thing I really enjoyed about the 'confrontation scene' is the sharp contrast between how Shizuku 'talks in her head' and the way she actually delivers words in a heated situation. It certainly reminded me of those times when everything sounds good in your head but your delivery fails to match your expectations.

well, if she is truly a loner she would not accept everything so instantly. She was a passive plot device in the first episode.

1. Shizuku was hardly instantly receptive to the bizarre nature of Haru's actions, quite the opposite.

2. Concerning your second sentence, I would not consider her a mere "plot device" (I don't know what that would even mean in this context), but I will say - and I can speak with some personal experience about this - that loners are often by nature passive people. Shizuku in particular has created her own insular world of academics that she's lived in for most of her life; she's not going to turn around and suddenly be taking bold, confident actions in a social life that's been thrust upon her.

One thing I really enjoyed about the 'confrontation scene' is the sharp contrast between how Shizuku 'talks in her head' and the way she actually delivers words in a heated situation. It certainly reminded me of those times when everything sounds good in your head but your delivery fails to match your expectations.

That scene was the point where I realized what a good job the voice actress was doing in portraying her.

cajunator

Banned
Reminds me of this classic [adult swim] ad for Inuyasha.

%&%****%^&*%^**&^*^&^$%#**%#$%*#%$%#$^$
NONONOONONONONNONONONONONONNNONNONONONONONONOOOOOOOO

When you hit Kaze wo Sagashite, you'll be one of a select few who end up not absolutely hating it. You'll understand why when you hear it!

Believe is the only One Piece OP that I never came around to liking. Not because of the aforementioned controversy, mind.

That songs not bad.
I just like "Believe" the best because its a crazy earworm and I love those things.

Damn Haly, laying the smack down on the majority of this thread!

This is part of why she's so adorable. I love those socially maladjusted characters that cant say what theyre thinking and it causes misunderstandings. Thats pretty much how I am IRL. Somewhere between brain and mouth it all goes horribly wrong.

Stoof

The one I'm currently on, "Share the World", sounds kind of like an awful boy band song. I will admit, there have been more hits than misses lately. Hope that trend continues.

Ah, that one. I like "One Day" which is after the next opening song I believe. I also like "Fight Together" after that, but that may be more for the opening than the actual song itself, haha.

I feel like you're kind of making an unfair caricature of her actions during the first episode. She reacts to the various situations that she's placed in a number of ways - they're not all "passive" in nature. Sometimes she goes with the flow, other times she rejects the options that she's faced with.

well, see the scenes after
Haru punched her in the face
. It was the only real moment she was the active person but just to show that she was wrong to quit the friendship because of this accident.
The first episode was about to install a relationship where Haru has his (violent) quirks and a Shizuku who needs to learn to deal with them.

Weird thing I noticed while watching One Piece. Every time it get's a new theme, I go through the same process. At first, I absolutely hate it. It then proceeds to grow on me over subsequent episodes. By the time I actually like it, the show changes it up. Basically, the show puts me in a constant state of hating the theme song, haha.

Yeah. One Piece doesn't have too many good openings. I liked the sixth one though. Oddly it was used by far the shortest time of all openings.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That songs not bad.
I just like "Believe" the best because its a crazy earworm and I love those things.

In the context of the show, Kaze wo Sagashite plays during the thematically-darkest period in the series. It was a shockingly tone-deaf move on Toei's part to lead in several months of hopelessness, desperation and suffering with chipmunk bubblegum stuff.

yami4ct

Ive grown attached to the english dub version of We Are, I can never like listening to the JPN version, it just sounds way less awesome and weaker.

I think Id take a dub over a complete replacement of the theme by garage band xyz.

Man, it's the total opposite for me. While I think the English "We Are" is one of the most listenable dub songs, I still vastly prefer the original Japanese. I guess it's just what you get used to listening to.

I also agree I prefer a dub song over a complete replacement, I just think they should just leave it in the original Japanese for anything that's not on a kid's TV network.

cajunator

Banned
In the context of the show, Kaze wo Sagashite plays during the thematically-darkest period in the series. It was a shockingly tone-deaf move on Toei's part to lead in several months of hopelessness, desperation and suffering with chipmunk bubblegum stuff.

Ah yes the whiplash effect.
See also: Madoka Magika OP, Kenshin OP, and my personal favorite, the Sora no Woto ED following certain events. Its a really sneaky trick and it works beautifully.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Joshikousei - 08

l5MSg.png
gLGCd.png
z7xZd.png

Right when firehawk12 had to mention it... ;_;

He watched too much Strawberry Panic.
Not that watching Strawberry Panic is a bad thing.

It's bad for my heart.

Dresden

The first episode was about to install a relationship where Haru has his (violent) quirks and a Shizuku who needs to learn to deal with them.
Shizuku is hardly a passive recipient, though. She's not afraid to assert herself, she's open about her feelings, and she dictates much of the flow of the episode. Much of it is reactionary as she deals with Haru, but it doesn't make her passive as you mentioned before. She's not just letting herself be seduced; it's a two-way process.

Chairhome

So, I was trying to find a place to watch Stein's Gate and I guess it was only simulcast on crunchyroll or they removed the episodes already? I'm new to crunchyroll and how it works, but I'm trying out the premium trial.

Gonna check out Sword Art Online and From the New World, though. I missed anime.

cajunator

Banned
So, I was trying to find a place to watch Stein's Gate and I guess it was only simulcast on crunchyroll or they removed the episodes already? I'm new to crunchyroll and how it works, but I'm trying out the premium trial.

Gonna check out Sword Art Online and From the New World, though. I missed anime.

From the New world has a really good start. Definitely check that out.
Steins; Gate blurays are out as well.

Half of Steins gate is on hulu and funimations site.

Crunchyroll simulcast Steins;Gate as it was airing, but took it down afterwards when Funimation licensed it. I believe Funi streams it on their website currently.

yami4ct

If you want to get involved in the plot, stay far away from SAO. If you go in assuming you'll probably hate the story, it's not a bad watch.

Branduil

Looks like the first 12 episodes of Stein's;Gate are still on Hulu.

cajunator

Banned
I hear so many good things about Steins; Gate. Especially since it has goddess Haruko Momoi in it. I still really have no idea what its about though.

Dresden

I cringed so hard when Asuna said Kirito was "always so laid back". I think it was during episode 12.

I was like NO HE AIN'T AAAAHHHH

I've been shitting on SAO since before the show was even announced, but that doesn't sound too bad. Remember that she's speaking from her perspective, and her early encounters with Kirito has always involved him being chill and calming her down. Or giving her bread. Or mind of steel.

Branduil

I've been shitting on SAO since before the show was even announced, but that doesn't sound too bad. Remember that she's speaking from her perspective, and her early encounters with Kirito has always involved him being chill and calming her down. Or giving her bread. Or mind of steel.

BREAD TASTES GOOD WHEN U PUT STUFF ON IT

Ultimadrago

This is most-likely my downright least favorite opening from the series. Context or no.

Though I'm probably an opening or two behind at this point.

Gilgamesh

Greetings, anime friends! I've just been catching up on Fate/Zero and it's pretty damn good.

This season I'll be checking out From the New World, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Psycho-Pass, and Robotics;Notes.

P.S. Obligatory SAO opinion: eh. "Smartest anime in years" is the anime version of "Oscar-worthy story."

Naruto SD 24

I guess if you run out of jokes, you devote your jokes to beating up Naruto, Lee and Neji.

So-so episode. Wasn't terrible with the cultural festival and the abysmal showing for Mr. Leaf Village.

cajunator

Banned
It also dies if you drop it.

I felt more sympathy for that sandwich than the characters that dropped it.

Greetings, anime friends! I've just been catching up on Fate/Zero and it's pretty damn good.

This season I'll be checking out From the New World, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Psycho-Pass, and Robotics;Notes.

P.S. Obligatory SAO opinion: eh. "Smartest anime in years" is the anime version of "Oscar-worthy story."

Welcome!
Good choices.

What an awesome avatar you have. Fate/Zero is alright, I wish it focused on the actually good characters and servants. Saber is awful.

BluWacky

Lychee deLIGHT Club 1

I... really don't get this. I think this may really be for people who've read the manga only - or find the Japanese sense of humour funnier than I do.

In this episode, they offer up a "sacrifice" to the Lychee robot thing for judgement, and then all the characters decide on what the sacrifice's punishment will be, ranging from casting a spell on him (except no-one knows how to cast spells) or by spoiling his favourite manga for him.

Forgive me for simply summarising the plot, but there's not much else to say. I guess it's probably funnier for someone with a far greater degree of fluency than mine. Looks-wise, it's absolutely stereotypical Flash animation and doesn't stand out in any way. It's less than 3 minutes long, so I suppose it's not a lot of time wasted, but I enjoyed Tiny Old Man's nearly wordless 30 seconds more than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom