• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
School Days 1

2TvLx.jpg

ECCHIIIIIIIII!

Absolutely drivel. Let's hope it picks up with episode 2 or I'll be suspecting the only thing this is notorious for is for being the most boring anime of all time.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II 13 (end)
tumblr_mbadr6z3MV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Who is he? Pretty good conclusion to this arc and mindblown at
that Musashi backflip as well as Level 3 Avarice Horizon. I did like the line about the Horizon too.

On the ending
Did that mean the Tachibana's both defected to Musasahi?

---
I liked the first season a bit more, mainly for more interesting conflicts, however I did like this whole season for seeing more of the varied and diverse groups, powers, God of War's, and battle tech and abilities there are. I hope for a season 3, and for more Noriki. 8/10 like s1.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 1

Absolutely drivel. Let's hope it picks up with episode 2 or I'll be suspecting the only thing this is notorious for is for being the most boring anime of all time.

Stick with the show.
It may be a bit more than you suspect...
Plus its only 12 episodes.
Let's just say theres a reason its on the list while a lot of similar shows aren't.

Firemind

School Days 1

Yes, it is quite boring. Until the proverbial shit hits the fan at least.

(not that I watched it.)

yami4ct

Narag

School Days 1

Stay with it. I thought as you did once, perhaps with a bit more skepticism, and I was appropriately rewarded.

Branduil

That reminds me, who would you guys consider the best scriptwriters currently working? I'm only aware of the shit ones (Yoshino, Okada-bot, and Aikawa) and Urobuchi.

Edit:Forgot Dai Sato but he hasn't really done much.

That's kind of difficult to say. The anime scene is not exactly overflowing with great writers of original series, and many writers have to do adaptations of bad material so it can be hard to tell where the original writing ends and theirs begins. I guess Urobuchi just wins by default, lol.

yami4ct

God, the fact that someone else is watching School Days kind of makes me want to give it a shot as well. Don't want to be one-uped. Maybe another marathon is in order
Haha, I'm not that crazy. Or am I?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
School Days 1

Unlike, say, Glass Fleet, Yami, or Garzey's Wing, which are actually entertaining in their own right, School Days is just a poor show, not worth watching. The sole reason it gets any sort of mention is for the
shock value of the ending.

cajunator

Banned
God, the fact that someone else is watching School Days kind of makes me want to give it a shot as well. Don't want to be one-uped. Maybe another marathon is in order
Haha, I'm not that crazy. Or am I?

No youre not crazy.

Garzeys wing is another fine choice.
SOmetimes animeGAF recommends a bad show if it has some highly entertaining or enjoyable quality. This is one of those examples.

sleepykyo

Unlike, say, Glass Fleet, Yami, or Garzey's Wing, which are actually entertaining in their own right, School Days is just a poor show, not worth watching. The sole reason it gets any sort of mention is for the
shock value of the ending.

There was some
shock value in the middle

yami4ct

I think I need to finish some good stuff before I dive in to the terrible/great pool of anime again. Probably going to just finish Tsuritama so I can have that out of the way.

That reminds me, who would you guys consider the best scriptwriters currently working? I'm only aware of the shit ones (Yoshino, Okada-bot, and Aikawa) and Urobuchi. They have to do an exception job one way or another in order for me to remember them.

I can't think of too many notably great scriptwriters - even in shows which have good writing, that's often either due to the source material (Space Brothers - Makoto Uezu's previous writing credits are unimpressive) or seems to be due largely to the influence of the director (Tsuritama - Toshiya Ono's only previous credit is Suite Precure, so I don't know how much credit can be given to him). Of course, directors who have their own original ideas often handle scriptwriting duties themselves, as Yasuhiro Yoshiura does.

Chiaki J. Konaka is at least significant, but he hasn't been active for a while.

Edit: Forgot Dai Sato but he hasn't really done much.

You can check out his work in Gyrozetter this season!

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's kind of difficult to say. The anime scene is not exactly overflowing with great writers of original series, and many writers have to do adaptations of bad material so it can be hard to tell where the original writing ends and theirs begins. I guess Urobuchi just wins by default, lol.
But Urobuchi wrote Blassreiter and visual novels. Surely that has to count against him.

It seems like anime writers are pretty inconsistent. Guys like Dai Sato and Yoji Enokido have fallen off pretty hard recently.

Branduil

But Urobuchi wrote Blassreiter and visual novels. Surely that has to count against him.

It seems like anime writers are pretty inconsistent. Guys like Dai Sato and Yoji Enokido have fallen off pretty hard recently.

It's hard to think of any anime writers without major misses.

It's too bad Keiko Nobumoto isn't writing anime any more.

Jarmel

Banned

Duckroll and I briefly discussed this, it seems like Blassreiter was shit more due on part of the director rather than Urobuchi himself. Also I've heard a lot of praise of Saya no Uta from his VN days.

BluWacky

That reminds me, who would you guys consider the best scriptwriters currently working? I'm only aware of the shit ones (Yoshino, Okada-bot, and Aikawa) and Urobuchi. They have to do an exception job one way or another in order for me to remember them.

I know you all hate Aikawa at the moment, but I actually consider him to be a very capable scriptwriter. I think the way he expanded Twelve Kingdoms out of Yoko's head was very clever, I really enjoyed his version of Fullmetal Alchemist, and he's almost always got interesting ideas (see: Neo Ranga, the idea behind Ayakashi Ayashi, Oh! Edo Rocket). While Un-Go is bonkers, and Eureka Seven AO appears to have gone off the deep end, I don't think he's always shit.

As for other writers:

- For solid work in the shoujo sphere there's always Reiko Yoshida, firehawk's favourite; her work is almost always good.
- I generally prefer Chiaki Konaka's individual episodes (Princess Tutu and RahXephon in particular) to shows where he's chief writer, but even if I feel Lain is overindulgent I love his work on Big O.
- Dai Sato can be good, as others have mentioned
- Yoji Enokido is sometimes good, but often I think he doesn't actually understand what made Utena work :(

All of the above have already been mentioned, though. I am slow!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Duckroll and I briefly discussed this, it seems like Blassreiter was shit more due on part of the director rather than Urobuchi himself. Also I've heard a lot of praise of Saya from his VN days.
Saya is an entertaining schlocky horror read but it's not really well written. It's full of typical VN things like misogyny and random sex.

cajunator

Banned
I think I need to finish some good stuff before I dive in to the terrible/great pool of anime again. Probably going to just finish Tsuritama so I can have that out of the way.

Finishing Tsuritama first is a great choice.
It was a pretty unique experience watching that one.

jman2050

The first four episodes of School Days are some of the most predictable, boring, garbage trite you will ever see in a school romance anime.

Then things... happen.

Go_Ly_Dow

School Days 1

be sure to finish it.

this will only make you stronger.

Dresden

This is bad advice. Its meaningless if you don't watch the whole thing. Much like Endless Eight is meaningless out side of broadcast TV.

Worked fine for me. Time spent watching School Days can be spent on more productive things like lifting or making protein shakes.

cjkeats

School Days 1

Keep at it, and be sure to keep us informed after each episode. The meltdown will be delicious.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I will stick with it, but jesus they could have made the first episode a bit more exciting. It's meant to be the hook for God's sake.

And you lot are really hyping it up. This better not be E3 levels of false hype.

I know you all hate Aikawa at the moment, but I actually consider him to be a very capable scriptwriter. I think the way he expanded Twelve Kingdoms out of Yoko's head was very clever, I really enjoyed his version of Fullmetal Alchemist, and he's almost always got interesting ideas (see: Neo Ranga, the idea behind Ayakashi Ayashi, Oh! Edo Rocket). While Un-Go is bonkers, and Eureka Seven AO appears to have gone off the deep end, I don't think he's always shit.

I think Aikawa used to be good - certainly I think he did a great job on Fullmetal Alchemist - but he hasn't really done solid work for a while now.

- I generally prefer Chiaki Konaka's individual episodes (Princess Tutu and RahXephon in particular) to shows where he's chief writer, but even if I feel Lain is overindulgent I love his work on Big O.

As far as individual episodes go, I really like the arcs of Mononoke Konaka wrote - Umibouzu and Nue - which are the best arcs of the show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Joshikousei - 10

ac77Q.png
oaWU2.png

YumaxAyano for life!!

Ayano centered episode. The girls help Ayano determine whether her boyfriend likes her for her or if he simply has a glasses fetish.

N1zOd.png

Ayano's big sis.

tumblr_m4z5kjlLCX1r70n32.gif

It was at exactly 3:38 pm, Mountain Standard Time, that our hero SDBurton developed a glasses fetish.

Necrovex

From the New World 1

Loved it. I'll be sticking with this show throughout the fall season. Not in a mood to give it a longer review though!

Firemind

Well I will stick with it, but jesus they could have made the first episode a bit more exciting. It's meant to be the hook for God's sake.

And you lot are really hyping it up. This better not be E3 levels of false hype.

This is what Eiken has taught me. AnimeGAF never lives up to its hype.

Jarmel

Banned
Saya is an entertaining schlocky horror read but it's not really well written. It's full of typical VN things like misogyny and random sex.

Can't really refute this as I haven't played the game myself but I've never heard anyone, before you, speak bad of it.

School Days 1

Wait, you don't know the ending? I figured everyone in here did already. Gonna be awesome to see your reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom