• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
But stupid is part of what makes Haruhi good.

I mean the Kyon character just plain doesn't work if there isn't plenty of stupid involved.

This is true.
The stupid made it really fun. Its a really weird show but that made it way more interesting than anything in Hyouka, regardless of quality.

wonzo

Banned
Pretty good discription
Also why it's not as good as Haruhi
This is true.
The stupid made it really fun. Its a really weird show but that made it way more interesting than anything in Hyouka, regardless of quality.
hyouka19b.jpg

Wait

Walkure Romanze isn't related to Utena

AnimeGAF lied to me (someone posted a picture of the lead and said it was Utena a while back)
"utena ripoff"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was one click away from buying the YuruYuri BD, but it being region A put me off.

Someone at Scotland Love Anime find out if anyone in the UK has YuruYuri on the agenda.

duckroll

Got a copyright notice from Aniplex on my Youtube account again. This time for some Magi ad I uploaded ages ago. FML. Had to do that "Copyright School" Q&A crap too. >_<

cajunator

Banned
I was one click away from buying the YuruYuri BD, but it being region A put me off.

Someone at Scotland Love Anime find out if anyone in the UK has YuruYuri on the agenda.

Its worth it man.
I know its not Kill Me Baby but nothing really is.

Hey Im not saying I wouldnt watch Hyouka again or that its not worth purchasing, cause it is. Just Haruhi is a way more interesting show to watch and the characters were more likeable.

I agree. I like both shows but Haruhi will always be my favourite!
I'm very biased though, I have the novels and manga aswell

Got a copyright notice from Aniplex on my Youtube account again. This time for some Magi ad I uploaded ages ago. FML. Had to do that "Copyright School" Q&A crap too. >_<

I hope you've learnt your lesson!

A Certain Magical Index Season 1 1-24 END

It's a pretty interesting show. I only started watching because I wanted to watch A Certain Scientific Railgun so I thought I'd get the back story. I think the main character doesn't go through enough trials -- plus he can't even really fight. He just throws haymakers. Not great but not bad either.

A Certain Scientific Railgun Eps 1-3

Ummm, this isn't the kind of show I thought it'd be. It's way more comedy than action. A bit too much fan-service too. The production for this seems a lot higher than Index -- even though they were released in the same year. I only wanted to watch this because the series is directed by Nagai, and I like his other works. So far it's very different from the others though.

A Certain Magical Index Season 1 1-24 END

It's a pretty interesting show. I only started watching because I wanted to watch A Certain Scientific Railgun so I thought I'd get the back story. I think the main character doesn't go through enough trials -- plus he can't even really fight. He just throws haymakers. Not great but not bad either.

Ummm, this isn't the kind of show I thought it'd be. It's way more comedy than action. A bit too much fan-service too. The production for this seems a lot higher than Index -- even though they were released in the same year. I only wanted to watch this because the series is directed by Nagai, and I like his other works. So far it's very different from the others though.

Yeah, Railgun is a lot more slice of life focused with added action scenes. I personally prefer it to Index for that very reason!

It sounds like you might be unaware, but the majority of the first season of Railgun takes place [chronologically] before the first season of Index.
http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Timeline

Shergal

Hey Im not saying I wouldnt watch HYouka again or that its not worth purchasing, cause it is. Just HAruhi is a way more interesting show to watch and the characters were more likeable.

But the titular character of the show is built on the basis of being unlikeable. It's not like the rest of them have an actual personality (literally, in the case of Yuki) so I'd say 'likeable' or 'unlikeable' is not really accurate either.
I'll concede that the manic pace and zaniness is something that appeals directly, whereas something like Hyouka is slower, more deliberate and doesn't posses a hook to grab you with; hence being more difficult to instantly like unless you're a sakuga guy. But I don't think it's possible to deny that Hyouka is far richer thematically and much more satisfying as an audiovisual experience. In that sense I don't think Haruhi is very interesting.

Jintor

That reminds me, Seven Sea's Toradora manga releases seems to have stalled in english at Vol 5. I wonder what's up. The typesetting and translation job is fucking fantastic, it'd be a shame if it never finished.

cajunator

Banned
Yes, but it's the wrong region. No point in having a BD I can't play.

Now we know who mods the moderators!

I just find it odd that supposedly Bluray is region free and such yet very few discs took advantage of it. DRM sucks.

But the titular character of the show is built on the basis of being unlikeable. It's not like the rest of them have an actual personality (literally, in the case of Yuki) so I'd say 'likeable' or 'unlikeable' is not really accurate either.
I'll concede that the manic pace and zaniness is something that appeals directly, whereas something like Hyouka is slower, more deliberate and doesn't posses a hook to grab you with; hence being more difficult to instantly like unless you're a sakuga guy. But I don't think it's possible to deny that Hyouka is far richer thematically and much more satisfying as an audiovisual experience. In that sense I don't think Haruhi is very interesting.

Themes and audiovisual style dont mean a whole lot to me if a show isnt very interesting storywise or characterwise. Maybe it is excellently crafted like a good classic novel, but its not all that interesting as a piece of entertainment. I look for different things in shows. Im not entertained by themes as much.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That reminds me, Seven Sea's Toradora manga releases seems to have stalled in english at Vol 5. I wonder what's up. The typesetting and translation job is fucking fantastic, it'd be a shame if it never finished.

It seems weird that the manga is even still running, considering the LN and anime finished so long ago.

I mean, I know the manga predates the anime, but still. Just feels strange that Toradora is still being released in some format.

Jintor

It seems weird that the manga is even still running, considering the LN and anime finished so long ago.

I mean, I know the manga predates the anime, but still. Just feels strange that Toradora is still being released in some format.

well, I assume the english releases are like months, maybe years behind. Heck, I think Vol 5 released at the tail end of last year, so they're way out :(

Yeah, Railgun is a lot more slice of life focused with added action scenes. I personally prefer it to Index for that very reason!

It sounds like you might be unaware, but the majority of the first season of Railgun takes place [chronologically] before the first season of Index.
http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Timeline

Ah, I had no idea it took place before Index. But there seems to be some continuity error right? Just saw episode 4 and the way Mikoto reacts here shouldn't match up with Index's episode 1 where she was surprised by the cancel ability.

jgminto

I'll give KnK a shot but I'm pretty cautious with KyoAni. Both shows of theirs that I watched went to poop at some point. Free! in the last few episodes with too much amateur "drama" and Tamako Market...sometime early I guess, it was so boring I don't remember.

I'll give KnK a shot but I'm pretty cautious with KyoAni. Both shows of theirs that I watched went to poop at some point. Free! in the last few episodes with too much amateur "drama" and Tamako Market...sometime early I guess, it was so boring I don't remember.

Be glad you didn't watch Chu2. Be sad that you didn't watch any of their best work :p

I watched a bit of the first ep of K-On but it wasn't what I was looking for

If their shows don't click with you then that's fair. I've enjoyed a lot of their work overall, K-ON included. I consider Hyouka to be their best, but The Haruhi movie and their older shows like Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu and The Second Raid are great as well.

But Chu2 is awesome :(

Au~

While I thought Chu2 was bad overall, and really went off a cliff at the end, I won't deny there was some charm to it. For starters the concept is endearing, and KyoAni are good at animating cute mannerisms and physical behaviour, which they used to good effect in the show. It's really the writing in Chu2 the makes it fall apart for me. I wanted to love it.

cajunator

Banned
If their shows don't click with you then that's fair. I've enjoyed a lot of their work overall, K-ON included. I consider Hyouka to be their best, but The Haruhi movie and their older shows like Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu and The Second Raid are great as well.

While I thought Chu2 was bad overall, and really went off a cliff at the end, I won't deny there was some charm to it. For starters the concept is endearing, and KyoAni are good at animating cute mannerisms and physical behaviour, which they used to good effect in the show. It's really the writing in Chu2 the makes it fall apart for me. I wanted to love it.

Yeah the way KyoAni animates characters makes them really feel alive and that makes their shows a lot of fun even with weak storywriting.

Coppelion ep1

Thanks Animax Asia

I've read the manga so i know the pace is fast,but i like that,the part 1 of manga is pretty boring and too slow.
Hope will see Ozu sisters at ep3

I don't think you need to be a sakuga guy to appreciate Hyouka, and I disagree that there isn't a hook. The hook is the thick atmosphere, which is created not just because of the animation, or even primarily by the animation, but by the entire package and particularly the art design and music. I was gripped by the first meeting between Oreki and Chitanda, and the show never really let go. But then I'm a guy who values deliberate pacing.

Silky

Banned
Samurai Flamenco, Kill la Kill and Log Horizon look great. I finally find something to watch to get out of my drought of anime after JoJo. Makes the Space Dandy wait seem shorter! c:

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Themes and audiovisual style dont mean a whole lot to me if a show isnt very interesting storywise or characterwise. Maybe it is excellently crafted like a good classic novel, but its not all that interesting as a piece of entertainment. I look for different things in shows. Im not entertained by themes as much.
So basically, Hyouka didn't make you squee. It also wasn't overt or bombastic.

I can get it not being for everyone, but it's not as if it does anything particularly wrong or offensive to be maligned as such.

cajunator

Banned
So basically, Hyouka didn't make you squee. It also wasn't overt or bombastic.

I can get it not being for everyone, but it's not as if it does anything particularly wrong or offensive to be maligned as such.

Oh no. It made me squee plenty. Chitanda and Misaki are cuuuuuuuute.
There was no lacking in the squee department.

Defuser

I suggest you watch railgun season 2 ep 5 to 16 because it's more like index since its a prequel and a remake of the sister's arc, the action is sooooooo good plus a glorious remake of Touma and Accelerator fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom