• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would almost be willing to put Flowers of Evil above Wolf Children in Anime of the Year voting, but the ending (or lack thereof) makes that impossible. Otherwise there's nothing that came out this year that made such a powerful impact on me as Hosoda's film.

Branduil

the way to say this without being insulting to people who like the show is to simply use the word "puerile".

but come on, the show is getting better like every week right now.

I'm just giving my honest impression of his last two shows. Gurren Lagann too, really, I just found the positives in that to outweigh the negatives more than in his followups.

zeroshiki

I posted about this in more detail elsewhere but basically I think Imaishi's sense of humor is puerile, the writing is dumb and it's not what I'm looking for in anime. He directs his shows as if his audience is 13-year-old boys with short attention spans who just entered puberty.

It probably is!

I'll have to watch more to say with any authority but I want to say that while I'm not sure if this is Imaishi or just the show in general but I dislike shows being frenetic just for the sake of being frenetic. Some early Gainax shows did this to some extent too (FLCL for example). There is something to be said about letting the show breathe and using down time to get your point across. Anno, for all the shit he gets, knew how to do this in Eva and Kare Kano.

Animating every little thing is great but not at the expense of getting your point across.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just a question about tokyo ravens, does harutora ever wear the cool clothes he has on in the promo poster?
tokyo_ravens.jpg

or is it just for show?

I'm just giving my honest impression of his last two shows. Gurren Lagann too, really, I just found the positives in that to outweigh the negatives more than in his followups.

Yeah, at least in Gurren Lagann all the dumb fanservicy bits were really kept in the earlier episodes of the show and really didn't have any real bearing on the storyline and the feel of the show.

Here in KLK and back in P&S that stuff became the crux of the show. I'm not really a fan of that.

cnet128

Banned
Galileidonna 4

Everybody seems to hate this show, but I'm still enjoying it so meh.

Goldfish ship Assault Mode is so broken-tier XD

Branduil

It probably is!

I'll have to watch more to say with any authority but I want to say that while I'm not sure if this is Imaishi or just the show in general but I dislike shows being frenetic just for the sake of being frenetic. Some early Gainax shows did this to some extent too (FLCL for example). There is something to be said about letting the show breathe and using down time to get your point across. Anno, for all the shit he gets, knew how to do this in Eva and Kare Kano.

Animating every little thing is great but not at the expense of getting your point across.

I also feel like a lot of the time(and not just in Imaishi shows), being hyperactive is confused for being funny. You can be hyperactive and funny(Kouji Kumeta), but the thing is that hyperactivity is a method of delivery of humor, it's not the humor itself.

foxuzamaki

Not quite. Zombie Desu Ka is primarily a waky comedy anime. This is more of a slice of life that happens to feature supernatural beings and deals with accepting others into your heart and drama while also being lighthearted. If you have nothing better to watch, especially if you like cheesy romance, give it a watch it's decent enough.

edit: speaking of wolf children, I've never seen it but always see it highly rated. Exactly how good is it? Because while it does look good I don't know if I'd really be into a tale of self discovery of a mom learning to bond with her furry children. And that's what I get from the trailer.

ah thanks for the explanation, might watch on a boring sunday one day

and it does a story of a mom learning how to take care of her furry children well, and it isnt all about the mom necessarily, best way I can explain it is to just watch it really, I wouldnt rate it as highly as everyone else but I did enjoy it, plus the animation is incredible, especially when it hits a certain snowy part

Gazoinks

I would almost be willing to put Flowers of Evil above Wolf Children in Anime of the Year voting, but the ending (or lack thereof) makes that impossible. Otherwise there's nothing that came out this year that made such a powerful impact on me as Hosoda's film.

Y'know, I read a couple of chapters of the Flowers of Evil manga after the anime, and I kind of like the way the anime ends. It works for me because it's basically the capstone on the whole fall from grace plot (if you can call it that, Kasuga wasn't exactly in grace).
He gives up resisting entirely and commits himself to being exactly what Nakamura wants. That kind of ends the main conflict, y'know? It seems less interesting now that that's resolved and it's just the duo wreaking havoc. That's just my 2c after reading a few chapters though, and I'm sure it goes in various directions to shake things up and make them more horrible.

They probably could've done better with the actual ending episode being basically a clipshow, but I do think ending at that spot works.

I posted about this in more detail elsewhere but basically I think Imaishi's sense of humor is puerile, the writing is dumb and it's not what I'm looking for in anime. He directs his shows as if his audience is 13-year-old boys with short attention spans who just entered puberty.

There you go again calling out the fans rather than the work itself. Gotta agree with dimb on this one.

Branduil

Not quite. Zombie Desu Ka is primarily a waky comedy anime. This is more of a slice of life that happens to feature supernatural beings and deals with accepting others into your heart and drama while also being lighthearted. If you have nothing better to watch, especially if you like cheesy romance, give it a watch it's decent enough.

edit: speaking of wolf children, I've never seen it but always see it highly rated. Exactly how good is it? Because while it does look good I don't know if I'd really be into a tale of self discovery of a mom learning to bond with her furry children. And that's what I get from the trailer.

It's only as furry as you want it to be. It's a movie about motherhood, the wolf aspect is a metaphor and allows for some really creative visual imagery.

Mature

I also feel like a lot of the time(and not just in Imaishi shows), being hyperactive is confused for being funny. You can be hyperactive and funny(Kouji Kumeta), but the thing is that hyperactivity is a method of delivery of humor, it's not the humor itself.
I don't really think there should be 'shoulds' or 'should nots'. You're welcome to your own tastes, but I don't think there's anything more subjective than comedy.

Just a question about tokyo ravens, does harutora ever wear the cool clothes he has on in the promo poster?
tokyo_ravens.jpg

or is it just for show?

I think that he gets the stick thing in the mid-later chapters the manga currently is in. As to whether he wears "those cool clothes" I probably didn't notice or maybe he hasn't yet. Maybe it happens later since the anime will go further than the manga.

And I guess I'll add Wolf Children to my watch list.

Ookiku Furikabutte 20

A girl catches Abe and Mihashi holding hands in the shower, wwwwwwww

Anyway, you know I'm impressed Mihashi hasn't collapsed into an emotional mess after getting a run scored on him again.

You're missing the point. I'm not saying anything about the fans, I'm saying that I feel like Imaishi is insulting me when I watch his show.

I guess it just comes down to tastes and tolerance, though I don't know if I'd go so far as to say *insert author/director* is intending to bore me (and yes, I know you didn't mean that literally).

wonzo

Banned
"Better" is subjective but I seriously doubt that of the observable qualities it has, Wolf Children loses to something like LWA.
it loses to that and

aku no hana
uchouten kazoku
kill la kill*
kyousogiga*
VVV*

*so far

all far more artistically accomplished and entertaining than wolf children was

No joke, I think Kyousougiga is beating The Eccentric Family for me. Probably has to do with the idea that I love the parents so much, and they're basically the focus of the plot.

fertygo

it loses to that and

aku no hana
uchouten kazoku
kill la kill*
kyousogiga*
VVV*

*so far

Kyosogiga is just another anime with their current approach.
No joke, I think Kyousougiga is beating The Eccentric Family for me. Probably has to do with the idea that I love the parents so much, and they're basically the focus of the plot.

Kidding? Uchouten pretty much about parent, the writing's so much better too.

zeroshiki

I don't really think there should be 'shoulds' or 'should nots'. You're welcome to your own tastes, but I don't think there's anything more subjective than comedy.

Unless you think hyperactivity is funny in and of itself, I don't see anything wrong with that statement. He says hyperactivity can be funny which the statement "hyperactivity is funny" is a subset of.

it loses to that and

aku no hana
uchouten kazoku
kill la kill*
kyousogiga*
VVV*

*so far

Eh, no. You're welcome to your own tastes but I don't see how that is remotely the case. (VVV wtf?)

Isn't Wolf Children a 2012 film?

Its BD release was 2013 and thus all the agita around it and the GAF AOTY.

Gazoinks

But the parents in The Eccentric Family were also pretty awesome. Honestly, whether or not Kyousigiga beats TEF really depends on what they do with the second half of the show. I hope it's awesome. Don't let me down!

Y'know, I read a couple of chapters of the Flowers of Evil manga after the anime, and I kind of like the way the anime ends. It works for me because it's basically the capstone on the whole fall from grace plot (if you can call it that, Kasuga wasn't exactly in grace).
He gives up resisting entirely and commits himself to being exactly what Nakamura wants. That kind of ends the main conflict, y'know? It seems less interesting now that that's resolved and it's just the duo wreaking havoc. That's just my 2c after reading a few chapters though, and I'm sure it goes in various directions to shake things up and make them more horrible.

They probably could've done better with the actual ending episode being basically a clipshow, but I do think ending at that spot works.

My objection is not to ending at that point in the manga (which I have not read past what the anime covered), but to the manner of ending it. The anime could have ended there and still created the feeling of a self-contained story, but by choosing to flash random snippets of material from future volumes of the manga it called attention to itself being a partial adaptation and thus weakened its position as a stand-alone work of art. This contrasts unfavorably to Wolf Children, which has a very clear and decisive narrative arc about child-rearing which is brought to a decisive close.

Isn't Wolf Children a 2012 film?

It released on BD in 2013, which makes it qualify for 2013 Anime of the Year voting.

foxuzamaki

I think that he gets the stick thing in the mid-later chapters the manga currently is in. As to whether he wears "those cool clothes" I probably didn't notice or maybe he hasn't yet. Maybe it happens later since the anime will go further than the manga.

And I guess I'll add Wolf Children to my watch list.

One of my pet peeves is when in some promos and posters, they have the main character in these cool clothes and/or holding this cool weapon that he/she never actually wore, and most of the time they're in some normal boring ass clothes.

zeroshiki

One of my pet peeves is when in some promos and posters, they have the main character in these cool clothes and/or holding this cool weapon that he/she never actually wore, and most of the time they're in some normal boring ass clothes.

Someone has been reading too much Bleach...

Gazoinks

The Garden of Sinners Movie 3: Remaining Sense of Pain

I know this is supposed to be one of the best, and it was definitely an improvement, but this series is still eeeh for me. It feels too talky, which is a weird complaint because of how much I liked Fate/Zero. The thing is though, that worked in Fate/Zero because the characters doing the talking were really interesting, but here they're... not. Mikiya is nice to the point of brain damage (
Although I do find it hilarious that apparently every woman he gets involved with turns out to be a serial killer
). Shiki's the most interesting character, but she doesn't really lend herself well to discussions and she's not really sympathetic in a normal sense. Also Azaka is there. I'm having trouble really getting connected to these guys. I also have problems when the writing tries to get more philosophical. It brings up interesting ideas sure, but it does it in such an overwrought way, like the constant talk of flying and falling in the first movie.

Fujino was a good villain, though. Way more interesting and sympathetic than our protagonists. The appendicitis thing was a bit dumb, but whatever. Her "death" scene was by far the best part of the movie, and I was honestly disappointed Shiki magically cured her via... stabbing.
Actually, the last 20 or so minutes were probably the best part of this series so far, so maybe that's a good sign?

"According to Keita, Fujino doesn't feel pain. Maybe she can't feel pain."
Stop everything guys Mikiya is the new Sherlock Holmes.

I feel like I should like this series, but I don't really feel like continuing it right now. I don't know, I feel like I'm missing something because I see so many people talking about how great this one was, but it mostly continued to fall flat for me.

My objection is not to ending at that point in the manga (which I have not read past what the anime covered), but to the manner of ending it. The anime could have ended there and still created the feeling of a self-contained story, but by choosing to flash random snippets of material from future volumes of the manga it called attention to itself being a partial adaptation and thus weakened its position as a stand-alone work of art. This contrasts unfavorably to Wolf Children, which has a very clear and decisive narrative arc about child-rearing which is brought to a decisive close.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. It was a really weird choice, did they run out of budget or what?

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 4

Wow, Mari is one crazy-ass girl. Nice staff she's got there though. Still, gotta feel sorry for Masayoshi. Keep trying Masayoshi! Don't let her steal all your thunder! You're still cool when you parry punches like a boss!

...lol uniform.

I feel like I should like this series, but I don't really feel like continuing it right now. I don't know, I feel like I'm missing something because I see so many people talking about how great this one was, but it mostly continued to fall flat for me.

I thought 3 was an OK movie, but it's only movie 5 out of the Garden of Sinners series that can be called legitimately great thanks to its avant-garde direction. Nasu's writing is pretty bad and only occasionally reaches tolerable levels.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. It was a really weird choice, did they run out of budget or what?

Running out of budget isn't the cause of all flaws in anime, and really doesn't make any sense here. Recall Flowers of Evil was rotoscoped and thus all the future scenes had to be filmed, which means it probably cost more to do the ending the way they did it than otherwise. It was a deliberate directorial choice... for whatever reason.

fertygo

I know this is supposed to be one of the best, and it was definitely an improvement, but this series is still eeeh for me. It feels too talky, which is a weird complaint because of how much I liked Fate/Zero. The thing is though, that worked in Fate/Zero because the characters doing the talking were really interesting, but here they're... not. Mikiya is nice to the point of brain damage (
Although I do find it hilarious that apparently every woman he gets involved with turns out to be a serial killer
). Shiki's the most interesting character, but she doesn't really lend herself well to discussions and she's not really sympathetic in a normal sense. Also Azaka is there. I'm having trouble really getting connected to these guys. I also have problems when the writing tries to get more philosophical. It brings up interesting ideas sure, but it does it in such an overwrought way, like the constant talk of flying and falling in the first movie.

Fujino was a good villain, though. Way more interesting and sympathetic than our protagonists. The appendicitis thing was a bit dumb, but whatever. Her "death" scene was by far the best part of the movie, and I was honestly disappointed Shiki magically cured her via... stabbing.
Actually, the last 20 or so minutes were probably the best part of this series so far, so maybe that's a good sign?

"According to Keita, Fujino doesn't feel pain. Maybe she can't feel pain."
Stop everything guys Mikiya is the new Sherlock Holmes.

You can continue to movie 5 now, without watching 4 at all.. do that.

Gazoinks

Running out of budget isn't the cause of all flaws in anime, and really doesn't make any sense here. Recall Flowers of Evil was rotoscoped and thus all the future scenes had to be filmed, which means it probably cost more to do the ending the way they did it than otherwise. It was a deliberate directorial choice... for whatever reason.

Well, I might be remembering wrong, but didn't most of that episode consist of clips from past episodes? That's the main thing that made me think that. And then all the flash forwards were still images, also. Either way it's a pretty bizarre choice, though.

You can continue to movie 5 now, without watching 4 at all.. do that.

Alright, but if it's not a significant improvement I'm probably going to give up on this series.

foxuzamaki

Someone has been reading too much Bleach...

Havent read bleach in years but I know what you mean.
anyways tokyo ravens episode 3
im sorry but isnt the
dragon
named
hokuto?
and the girl is named
hokuta?
how come harutora isnt like instantly connecting the dots or did I miss something? yeah im sure japanese name more than one person has it but still.

Kyosogiga is just another anime with their current approach.

Kidding? Uchouten pretty much about parent, the writing's so much better too.

Yes the dad is largely the driving force of the story and it was a fantastic story but
there were so many questions left unanswered and I genuinely felt that many characters didn't do much. Those issues I had with the show might be answered in later books but as of right now I'm left partially unsatisfied. Kyosougiga might not answer every question but as long as they answer the ones I really want to know I'll be fine with that.

But the parents in The Eccentric Family were also pretty awesome. Honestly, whether or not Kyousigiga beats TEF really depends on what they do with the second half of the show. I hope it's awesome. Don't let me down!

The parents were pretty awesome but the relationship between was very much an established family so there was a bigger emphasis on slice of life. I'm enjoying Kyousougiga a lot because the parents basically
disappeared at such an early age for these kids who are now grown up, they have so many confused feelings and questions. Not to mention the driving plot is for everybody to get back together while TEF is more about moving on after an accepted occurrence in their society's usual occurrences such as death and hot pots.

Like I said, they're both fantastic shows but I had issues with TEC dealing with stuff as
to why MC never showed his true talent they kept repeating he had, why what's her face never shows herself, why Benten is the way she is, why did the brother betray the dad of these kids besides the superficial jealousy, and other questions

zeroshiki

The Up and Wall-E opening montages got a ton of praise but I think the initial montage and the growing up montage in Wolf Children has them beat.

Gazoinks

Yes the dad is largely the driving force of the story and it was a fantastic story but
there were so many questions left unanswered and I genuinely felt that many characters didn't do much. Those issues I had with the show might be answered in later books but as of right now I'm left partially unsatisfied. Kyosougiga might not answer every question but as long as they answer the ones I really want to know I'll be fine with that.

The parents were pretty awesome but the relationship between was very much an established family so there was a bigger emphasis on slice of life. I'm enjoying Kyousougiga a lot because the parents basically
disappeared at such an early age for these kids who are now grown up, they have so many confused feelings and questions. Not to mention the driving plot is for everybody to get back together while TEF is more about moving on after an accepted occurrence in their society's usual occurrences such as death and hot pots.

Like I said, they're both fantastic shows but I had issues with TEC dealing with stuff as
to why MC never showed his true talent they kept repeating he had, why what's her face never shows herself, why Benten is the way she is, why did the brother betray the dad of these kids besides the superficial jealousy, and other questions

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Although there was some stuff that could be pieced together, TEC probably could've used just a little more detailing of characters and plot elements. Although some might say Kyousougiga's going too far in the other direction, I haven't really had a problem with it so far.

The Up and Wall-E opening montages got a ton of praise but I think the initial montage and the growing up montage in Wolf Children has them beat.

Wall-E's opening is just the opening of Fallout played in reverse anyway. :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I seriously can't tell what's genuine opinions and and what's just tweaking Branduil now. halp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom