• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Jarmel isn't the first case; I already said I didn't like Kill la Kill 1. Like with TTGL, I don't think it's poorly made or anything, it's just too far afield from what I enjoy in entertainment. The constant screaming gets tiresome.

I will say I was a little surprised at just how quickly the episode blew through the setup and got down to the point.

I actually think the show feels closer in tone to Panty and Stocking and Dead Leaves rather than TTGL or FLCL. I think it worked better in the former two shows rather than the later two because there wasn't much to them. However when you're somewhat trying to tell a serious story, that breakneck pacing doesn't work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Koshimizu sounded nothing like even the gruffest of Miyukichi voices though.

Art's got my back! There is that similar raspiness, for lack of a better term for it. Sawashiro seems to have more of a range with that particular voice of hers though. At least after one episode of this anyway.

Kill la Kill 01

This is all I could have ever asked for an absolutely insane over-the-top action anime. So yeah, I'm probably going to love this show and overhype it.

Well, all harem protags have one plot reason that seemingly justifies their awesomeness anyway.

Now that I think about it having a specialty only makes them worse.

Tsukune is a human among 'monsters' and is fucking terrible.
Makoto is a horny childish monster among monsters and is fucking terrible.
Rito from TLR has no specialty and he doesn't piss me off.

And that's where my harem expertise ends. Luckily.

cajunator

Banned
Kill La Kill - 1

This show drank a LOT of coffee. Those are some high intensity battles.

Not really feeling the plot though from this introduction and the episode preview. Is she just gonna fight through all the club presidents or something?

I guess I'll watch along just to follow the conversations about it, but consider me lukewarm.

Main character sounds a LOT like Sawashiro. Thought it was her at first.

This show is a good example of what my mind is like at a given moment lol.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how dumb is the IS MC.

He scores a perfect *
And by that I mean there is no number positive or negative that can quantify his dumbfuckery.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
KLK 1 left me feeling pretty cold. Everything is just sort of happening in a vacuum, and the blisteringly fast pacing in some scenes somehow manages to overload dialogue with infodump while also making it feel perfunctory and weightless. This really should have been broken into two episodes with some transitional scenes that fleshed out the world and hinted further at the grim and dystopian nature of the city and school; outside of Ryuko's walk through the slums, set pieces felt really empty and barren and the sense of oppression isn't pervasive enough outside of the blatant hyper-violence. Part of my feeling of disconnect is likely attributable to Sawano's OST, which was blandly epic and unevocative; good music is absolutely essential in enabling me to "channel" this kind of extreme hotbloodedness, but the music largely failed to complement or enhance anything that was happening on screen.

The good thing, though, is that I'm hopeful that the pacing will correct itself now that most of the basic premise has been dealt with. The animation was stylish, spectacular, expressive, and took several cues from Western animation. I like the premise, I like the characters, and I'm definitely not immediately dismissing the chance that KLK will be a really entertaining show. It was just a really rough opening episode for me.

Art's got my back! There is that similar raspiness, for lack of a better term for it. Sawashiro seems to have more of a range with that particular voice of hers though. At least after one episode of this anyway.

Eh, I can see where you're coming from but I still don't really hear it. I don't think there are many prevalent seiyuu that are that similar to each other, except for maybe some tones of Miyukichi sounding a lot like Ryoko Shiraishi among other things.

Articalys

Okay, I think I figured it out -- Koshimizu uses a more Sawashiro-like tone when Ryuuko is just in normal conversation, but for battle mode, her voice does change a bit more.

But yeah, we probably need more than one episode's worth of voice sample to make any real comparisons.

(Disclaimer: I haven't watched any action shows with Koshimizu in a main role in quite a while, so I don't know what the "usually" sounds like.)

jbug617

Banned
IS 2

:SDBurton Laura and Charlotte. Ichika is dumb as usually. I didn't get the ending part because it seemed to move to fast.

I guess his sister is going to be a villain this season via mind control or something like that.

Dumb out of 10. Fits perfectly alongside the likes of Makoto and Tsukune as a bad harem lead. But at least this MC has one good quality that the girls might fawn over - he can pilot an IS as the only man in existence.

Just rewatch KLK again still not getting breakneck complaint there's a lot of downtime, I oh well.

This show is a good example of what my mind is like at a given moment lol.

He scores a perfect *
And by that I mean there is no number positive or negative that can quantify his dumbfuckery.

Welp. Was to be expected though.

Not all harem leads can be like Arararagi.

What siscons?

I'm sure you meant Kintaro.

Theonik

Different composer then?
Different (bad) composer.

My life would be in shambles if Miyukichi isn't a real person.
Miyukuchi is actually a prototype for the next generation of Vocaloid.

Nightmare fuel.
RIP.

Take a note Neo-Gainax.
NeoGainax is dead. So... They can't take any notes.

So GAF la GAF,

I was thinking of maybe giving these two shows a chance

Kill la Kill
Coppelion

Anyone with impressions, favorably or otherwise?
KLK has near universal acclaim based on the first episode impressions you can see if you scroll up. Copellion looks kinda bad but I haven't seen it yet.

jgminto

Kill la Kill 1

My god...it's more amazing than I could have imagined. That opening sequence is the most bombastic opening to a show I've ever seen. It's so fast too, faster than Gurren Lagann ever was. I might rewatch it today it was that good.

cajunator

Banned
A really likeable harem protag is Tomoki from Sora No Otoshimono.
Hes a bit dense but caring and yet VERY perverted. And not at all shy about the fact.

jman2050

KLK isn't exactly a show where you need more than an establishing shot and some incidental dialogue to figure out what's going on and why. The long zoom out from the inside of the school to the outside and through the different layers of the city up until the final shot of the school towering over everything below it just about tells you everything you need to know, and it proceeds from there as such.

Also splitting this episode into two is a terrible idea.

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 1

So gooooood...

I watched this with a smile on my face for pretty much the entire time. Barely 10 seconds in the insanity starts and it scarcely stops. I can understand how this would be a turnoff for some people, as I too would like to learn more about the city and school they're in as well as get a little bit more information on Maho, but what can I say? I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of this. That fight with the boxer dude was the sort of thing that got me so hyped for this show after finishing TTGL.

Also I could have done without the red letters all over the place, especially for characters who had already been introduced, but I laughed pretty hard when the boxer unveiled his super spiked steel glove thing and the name was so long it pretty much covered the whole screen.

Can't wait for more.

Jarmel

Banned
KLK isn't exactly a show where you need more than an establishing shot and some incidental dialogue to figure out what's going on and why. The long zoom out from the inside of the school to the outside and through the different layers of the city up until the final shot of the school towering over everything below it just about tells you everything you need to know, and it proceeds from there as such.

Also splitting this episode into two is a terrible idea.

They need to put more time in than a quick two minute scene where Ryuko cries at her parent's house. They did little to establish why the audience should care about any of these characters and settings.

Dresden

The demands of the story is going to ground them as it goes. It'll slow down, just to explain her uniform, her past, and Aizen-sama's involvement.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 9

srhLaNU.jpg

HazukixYada shipping, what with the ocarina of secrets being given to Momoko (she misunderstood it, Darn you language barriers)" and it got Yada pissed.

Of course, Momoko made a major mistake in giving him the Ocarina because he thought Hazuki broke their promise and threw it in a river. So now everyone looked for it.

SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Pokemon Origins 2

tumblr_lzy06pm1Sw1r9gr7to1_500.gif

Did not expect them to adapt the Pokemon Tower. Absolutely glad they did because fuck Gold and Silver for turning that place into a Radio Tower.

Emotions were everywhere with each scene baby Cubone appeared. Him reuniting with his mom was the first time I got teary eyed over anything related to Pokemon since way back when I watched the Butterfree episode as a child.

Also, I thought the Charmander scream was bad, but that was NOTHING compared to mama Marowak's death scream.

Beyond The Boundary 1

Nice set up episode, like the main characters and their rather unique dynamic. Ending seems to tease we're gonna have a lot of characters running around in this series pretty quickly.

Kill La Kill 1

I posted my thoughts in the actual KLK thread, so I'll just quote them here...
Anime is saved!

• The pacing in the first half of the episode seemed a bit way too fast, though it stabilized somewhat in the latter half. The beginning felt like it was just a huge information dump... It was hard to keep up.
  • Mako is both adorable and hilarious.
  • I didn't really mind the blatant fanservice. It's not up to ridiculous levels like Queen's Blade, or even Hyakka Ryouran, which had titties flopping everywhere every five minutes.
  • Overall, I really enjoyed the first episode. It felt very reminiscent of Lagann in some ways, but completely new in others. I really dig the evil student council idea.
  • I need KLK pvc figures, stat.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill La Kill Episode 1: So here we are, he we are with the big anime of the season, the Sword Art Online, the Attack on Titan, the Free! of thew season, at least in terms of hype. Glanced at a few impressions that said this episodes left them cold, I guess I could see that, but I was too busy being entertained to notice. Yea, so now I know what Utena would have looked like by way of Gurren Lagan. Indeed as it has been suspected Kill La Kill has eaten and absorbed the old Gainax personality, which really could have used on Stella Woman's Acadamy. Another reason for enjoying this is because I am truly enjoying seeing the piss taken out of the high school setting. Anyway, yea, I can see why this fell falt for some people who don't like this style of humor and this still an establishing show, but anybody who is bored by this, go watch Kyoukai no Kanata. Still, time will tell if this can fully live up to the promises made but I will be watching, in my estimation is has somewhat lived up to the hype so far. ALso, Thursdays are going to be downright maddening as I have IS 2 and Golden Time to watch and more new shows next week.

cnet128

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata 1

Well, Mirai is certainly cute. And the animation is just great to watch in general.

The protag is about as generic as they come, but I don't find him annoying or anything. The only unique thing about him is
the whole immortality thing, but even that's a pretty standard sort of power for a protag to have. Hopefully the fact that he's half-Youmu will play into the plot somehow, though, since straight away that goes against the general impression that Youmu are just monsters to be slain.

I didn't think the dialogue in this episode was as bad as everyone's been making out, but it wasn't anything special. The OP is pleasant enough but pretty ordinary. The ED is more visually interesting, with all the pretty colours and textures in the background.

Oh, and vaguely lewd butt shot is vaguely lewd.

id9ZAu3XtfTqs.gif

Theonik

Princess Tutu 18
iHPZWZ9PgcH9S.png

Being Fakir is suffering.
I'm starting to warm up more to this arc, the new
storyteller? Seems like a good way to break away the repetition the show was falling into. Also dayum at Tutu's injuries.

Metropolis
This was pretty good, CG aside (which was distracting and hurt the style of this film substantially). Seemed to capture Tezuka's designs quite well and some of the animation was quite cool. OST was pretty good too.
Editing was pretty iffy though. Some very weird transitions and some genuine iffy moments where it felt like reading a book but some pages got stuck together. And oh god those circle transitions. Why.
So yeah, good film, some issues. Well worth watching if you like Tezuka's manga.

Hopefully actual vocaloid and not in the same vein as that Yui Horie/Miss Monochrome nonsense. Yeesh!
Butt of course.

Kill La Kill

Whoa, that was awesome. I've never watched an anime like this before.
Have you seen Gurren Lagann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom