• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to make a drawing of Ryuko eating a lemon with this expression:

Tumblr_mcu2n9is8I1qzycpbo1_500.png

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - The Silver-White Valley: Kapitel II

~ If that has to be the case, let's hope the enemy has some talented people. ~

pDrzr88.jpg

Panzer Vor!

This mission reminds me of the Mako mission on Noveria from Mass Effect.

This first arc is very much Kircheis-centered. Lots of flashbacks on his perspective on things. And whereas Reinhard wants to grasp the entire universe in his hand, Annerose-sama's love is enough for Kircheis.
The little conversational quips are still present, luckily.
I wonder if we are going to see some recognisable faces in the gaidens. I really hope so.

jman2050

Golden Time 1

I liked it. First episode was standard character introduction bits done pretty well, and setting it in college (hopefully) means it won't rehash all the same beats from every other high school romcom. I'm going to avoid making comparisons to Toradora because it's a different story no matter how you slice it, but there are some similar story beats about, though I am glad it doesn't seem like a rehash of the concept.

Koko is tentatively best character but again, first episode, so it's hard to say when everyone outside of the main dude hasn't had to do much.

Oh, and I didn't much care for the OP or ED, sadly.

Kill la Kill - 1

Okay, any hesitations I had about the character design and the cartoony feel are completely gone. It works perfectly with the over-the-top and goofy tone of the series.

I love the neo-old-school feel it's got. I don't really know how else to describe it, other than comparing it to Gurren Lagann. The breakneck pace was somewhat confusing at first, but it works really well (I assume there will be slower episodes, simply because it would be incredibly hard to maintain this sort of momentum for an extended period of time). I sorta like that feeling of being thrown into a world I don't really understand, with everything happening at hyperspeed, and with very little breathing room. It's exhilarating.

The scene where the uniform puts itself on Ryuuko was kinda rapey, though, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

I really like how Ami Koshimizu is pretty much channeling Miyuki Sawashiro for her role as Ryuuko.

It almost feels like I'm watching history being made, and that's incredibly exciting. Trigger, don't fuck this up.

Branduil

Kill la Kill 1

As we all know, this is the first anime directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi since Panty and Stocking, and before that Gurren Lagann, both of which were animated by the legendary studio Gainax. Things have changed since then, and Gainax's loss has been newcomer Studio Trigger's gain. With former Gainax standouts like Imaishi, Masahiko Ohtsuka, and Yoh Yoshinari, the studio has already made a little bit of a name for itself with the outstanding short film Little Witch Academia, conceived and directed by Yoshinari. They also produced the silly(and absurdly cheap) Inferno Cop shorts. Kill la Kill, however, represents their first real attempt at a full-length TV series, and as an original work they're taking a fair bit of risk here; that being true, it's no surprise they'd rely on the tried and proven Imaishi.

Kill la Kill is, no doubt, an Imaishi work through-and-through, and that's obvious from the very first minute. All of his trademarks- extremely stylized and cartoony animation, loud and unsubtle characters, slapstick comedy, action scenes that approach abstraction- are here, and in abundance.

First, let me talk about what I felt worked. The art direction is extremely well-realized, with great layouts, distinct and visually appealing characters(important in a series with such a large cast), and solid animation. The storyboarding and direction was pretty effective, with lots of camera movement(combined with good-enough CGI) helping to make scenes more dynamic, as well as quickly communicating the general layout of the city and the school at its top. In terms of visual production, everything is solid except for that dreadful uniform.

That being true, I need to explain why I was left cold by this opening episode.

I think the biggest issue for me, one that relates to a wide number of my other complaints, is tone. I had no idea what I was supposed to be feeling during the vast majority of the episode. The presentation of setting, established in the first scene, borders on parody, with the schoolteacher lecturing on Hitler before being interrupted by the Gestapo-like Disciplinary Squad. In fact, I was unsure during the entire episode if this was supposed to be a parody of all similar stories or not. It feels like it wants to have its cake and eat it too, in terms of the setting being an absurd caricature of high school battle anime, as well as generic revenge stories; yet at the same time the weirdly dark, violent murders and the presentation of Ryuuko's motivation seem to point to this being a "serious" story.

These competing impressions left me unable to identify with any of the characters. It's especially hard in a series with such an over-the-top setting, where you really need a grounded and identifiable character to relate to, but Ryuuko is a total cipher outside of her one-dimensional motivation at this point in the narrative. Either that or she's just bland. Satsuki is easily the most interesting character, but she's even more of a mystery than Ryuuko. Every other character is just a walking trope, without anything interesting to say about them.

I should also mention that the comedy fell utterly flat for me. I feel like Imaishi is a comedic tryhard, with lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Maho in particular is an unfunny, one-dimensional gag character. And I definitely feel like the pacing hurt it in this regard, with wacky slapstick gag following after wacky slapstick gag, without and breathing room whatsoever. It's as if the thinking process is that comedy is the sum of many lesser jokes and you just need to spam them fast enough to achieve laughter.

I also must say that I felt the dialogue was atrocious, like, some of the worst I've seen in anime. Gurren Lagann, at least, even had memorable lines like "Believe in me who believes in you" from the very first episode. The dialogue in this is split between utter nonsense and pointless, rapid-fire exposition. Did we really need a scene explaining that three-star uniforms are more powerful than two-star, which are more powerful than one-star, etc. I think everyone already grasped the video-game like ranking system by that point.

ibe9k8W4deM3eQ.jpg

What does that even mean?

Regarding the music, I didn't even notice it. It just had no impact on me, maybe because I had characters screaming nonsense in my ears the entire episode.

Kansoku

Kill la Kill - 1
So over the top. Aside from the costume (It's so distracting :x) it's really great. I really liked that Ryuuko was embarrassed the whole fight.

yami4ct

Kill la Kill 01

So, uh, that's not exactly what I expected. In a good way this time. Did not expect this series to be so light hearted. Love that it doesn't take itself too seriously. One of my biggest complaints about TTGL was the rather confused tone, but this knows exactly what it's going to be from the get go, so that's good. Action was amazing. Visuals, super pretty. Really enjoyed the comedy as well. Just a lot of fun.

Now to the negative, Ryuko's outfit is somehow even worse in motion. The awful jokes about it were the only bad bits of comedy and the suggestive camera angles only exacerbates the issue. Since it appears to be absorbing power from each win, the only hope is that she upgrades to something less terrible.

Since clearly I'm going to be throwing out some controversial opinions here, I guess I should end saying that I adored Sawano's soundtrack, even the vocal insert track. It's over the top in a way that really works for me. It's not a subtle soundtrack by any means, but it's not at all a subtle show. I think the tone is the perfect fit for his talents and I cannot wait to hear what more he has in store.

Golden Time 1

I liked it. First episode was standard character introduction bits done pretty well, and setting it in college (hopefully) means it won't rehash all the same beats from every other high school romcom. I'm going to avoid making comparisons to Toradora because it's a different story no matter how you slice it, but there are some similar story beats about, though I am glad it doesn't seem like a rehash of the concept.

Koko is tentatively best character but again, first episode, so it's hard to say when everyone outside of the main dude hasn't had to do much.

Oh, and I didn't much care for the OP or ED, sadly.

College romcom?! Count me in.

jman2050

Yea, Kyoukai no Kanata has the worst writing award locked down tight this season.

The comparisons and parallels to Chuu2 are appropriate, given that KnK reads like an eighth grader wrote it.

Oh right, forgot to mention re: Golden Time, the sound mixing was baffling, as the music completely drowned out the voice track on more than one occasion. The hell was up with that?

CorvoSol

The Flower of Evil, Episode the Ninth

This is but one of the stories the people tell. They have told it now on almost every land they've stepped, and it can be heard in diverse forms throughout the ages. It is so old, in fact, that I cannot honestly promise you that the version I am about to tell you is the way it actually happened, nor that I have the right of it, if you will. All I can say is that this is an old story, so old it seems to follow us all wherever we go.

Once upon a time, there was an idyllic paradise. A garden in which the great horrors you know this day we did not yet know. It was a simple forest, a beautiful place that had not yet known evil. It was cut off from the world around it, and in isolation was it preserved from the events without.

Some say it was surrounded by mountains, some say it was encircled by rivers or, in the case of today's tale, it was amidst the hills.

There was a wise one, who overlooked this Garden, whose words were the law there, whether the animals within were fully conscious or not. These words were advisory, cautionary, and in one case, prohibitive. The wise one, the God of the Garden, shared these instructions with all, in the hopes that they would be heeded. These words would one day be bound and published in books.

In the Garden, the wise one introduced a Man and a Woman. To them were repeated the words. Though books were not yet written, both of them had the chance to read the book, if you will. They were instructed, and then given their freedom to do as they desired within the Garden. The wise one, God, warned them both, though, against partaking of the fruit which He forbade, lest they do so and die.

After God had left them to themselves, something changed. Evil entered the Garden. A serpent came among them, and watched them. It saw their relationship, and then decided that, bored as it was, it would ruin them for its own amusement. Through the long years of history, this trickster, this fiend responsible for the ruin of Man and Woman, the architect of their undoing, has had many names. Some have called the serpent Satan, others, Loki, still others saw the trickster as the Raven, or Prometheus. Today we will call the serpent . . . Nakamura.

Now, the woman was not the mightiest of the creatures that God had kept in His Garden. She had not the might of the behemoth, nor the speed of the leviathan, she was not the oldest of all creatures, nor the fastest, nor the most cunning, but she had a quality prized above these: of all creatures, she was most devout to the God who had forged her. His words stirred her soul, and on them she frequently reflected. Many are the names she has had throughout our long history. The most popular of these is Eve, but today, we will call this first woman Kasuga.

The serpent approached Kasuga, and tempted her, saying "You will not die, but be as the Gods." "You aren't like them" indicating the animals around, "but meant for something better, something different." And Kasuga, desiring that knowledge, and that difference, the difference she felt when reading the word of Baudelaire, listened to the Serpent.

And, having conspired with the Serpent, with Nakamura on this point, Kasuga put forth her hand, and partook of the Forbidden Fruit, the object she was never to touch.

In some versions of this tale, it is not a fruit which Kasuga eats, but a box which she opens, which contains all the evils of the world. Other times the fruit is not a fruit, but an act of sex. Whatever it is, the moral is ever the same: that this act represents sin, disobedience, and the birth of evil in the soul of humankind. From that moment onward, until she died, even after penance, Kasuga's life would be filled with misery, and the constant torment of Nakamura, the hissing voice who reminded her, and who she could never fully bring herself to hate. But before the tale could end, Nakamura had another plan.

"Let us see what the man thinks of this," she said, "show him the fruit. He wants to fuck you, you know."

Adam, like Eve, was neither mighty nor especially brilliant, but he was a hard worker. He labored diligently, and was beloved by the creatures of the Garden. However, Adam was lonely, more so than he ever cared to let on. His decisions would rule the fate of many, and this, the first man, whom we shall call Saeki, made them from the depths of that loneliness. For in all the Garden, only Kasuga was like him.

Kasuga approached Saeki, and persuaded him to partake of the fruit as well, to understand the words of Baudelaire as she did. Saeki did not at first understand her sins, but when they came to the point where she could not deny them, Saeki did what has puzzled man for ages afterward. He did not reject Kasuga, in spite of her misdeeds. Instead, he accepted them, and urged Kasuga to relinquish her contract with Nakamura, and instead enter into one, a relationship, with him.

Then, when confronted with their misdeeds, Adam and Eve, Saeki and Kasuga, turned their eyes outward, to what lay outside of the Garden, outside of town, beyond the river or over the hill.

And the rest, is, of course, history.

G.ZZZ

Golden Time

Toradora this ain't for sure. Protag seems shitty and super generic for now, Ryuuji was one of the reasons Toradora was good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The comparisons and parallels to Chuu2 are appropriate, given that KnK reads like an eighth grader wrote it.

Oh right, forgot to mention re: Golden Time, the sound mixing was baffling, as the music completely drowned out the voice track on more than one occasion. The hell was up with that?

Oh god yes.

sonicmj1

Kill la Kill 1

Don't have time to post a lot of details, but I enjoyed it a great deal even if I can also see where the more critical voices are coming from. Even if there was probably too much time spent shouting things that we're already being shown, the confident direction and playful animation gags had me completely taken with the show. After the pan shot from the top of the school to the bottom, I couldn't have hated it if I tried.

The real test will be to see how it feels in the weeks to come, when (if the preview is any indication) things slow down and they start digging into the characters.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Golden Time Episode 1: Wow, yea, this was the wrong show to watch right after Kill La Kill, barely made it five minutes in before shutting it off, seems generic and dull, though I do like the fact that it is in college. Thursday is going to be packed and something that is merely okay just is not going to cut it right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gives a whole new meaning to "we leeg now".

mhs004

Golden Time Episode 1: Wow, yea, this was the wrong show to watch right after Kill La Kill, barely made it five minutes in before shutting it off, seems generic and dull, though I do like the fact that it is in college. Thursday is going to be packed and something that is merely okay just is not going to cut it right now.

I only made it to the opening.

Andrew J.

Kill la Kill 1

I think the biggest issue for me, one that relates to a wide number of my other complaints, is tone. I had no idea what I was supposed to be feeling during the vast majority of the episode. The presentation of setting, established in the first scene, borders on parody, with the schoolteacher lecturing on Hitler before being interrupted by the Gestapo-like Disciplinary Squad. In fact, I was unsure during the entire episode if this was supposed to be a parody of all similar stories or not. It feels like it wants to have its cake and eat it too, in terms of the setting being an absurd caricature of high school battle anime, as well as generic revenge stories; yet at the same time the weirdly dark, violent murders and the presentation of Ryuuko's motivation seem to point to this being a "serious" story.

I think you've made similar complaints about tone before (and if not you, then someone else in this thread), and could not disagree more strongly. My favorite works all blend comedy and seriousness: TTGL, Discworld, Dresden Files, the MCU, Platinum games.

This is an idea I came up with when thinking about Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, but when you have a joke suddenly appear in the middle of a relatively serious moment the dissonance and surprise gives it a little bit of extra kick that (if balanced right) makes it land that much more effectively.

Syrinx

I feel like watching either Spice and Wolf or Yuyushiki now, but I don't really know if I should do so so soon after watching the lightning-fast madness of KLK. I should take some time to slow down a bit.

yami4ct

This is an idea I came up with when thinking about Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, but when you have a joke suddenly appear in the middle of a relatively serious moment the dissonance and surprise gives it a little bit of extra kick that (if balanced right) makes it land that much more effectively.

I think it, more often than not, just destroys the drama rather than enhances the joke. That's my biggest problem with TTGL. Most of the drama falls flat because of tonal confusion. Don't have the same issues with KLK because it's way goofier, but I'll say more often than not mixing comedy and drama rarely benefits the whole.

DiGiKerot

Kill la Kill 1

You know how there's that hardcore super robot contingent who like to say that Gurren Lagann isn't that great because it's really just a pastiche of things that Go Nagai and other authors of the ilk did way back in the 60s? Kill la Kill is pretty much that for everything Go Nagai wrote that wasn't about super robots. And maybe some of the super robot stuff as well. In any case, a lot of the things that comes across as absurd caricature are actually pretty direct references to other works, as opposed to something exaggerated for effect.

Not that I'm particularly an expert on that stuff myself, and that isn't to say that I don't understand why you think the episode is tonally dissonant (it totally is, though not to a degree that bother me), but it's one of those shows where the perceived tone is going to be completely different depending on baggage you are taking into it. I think they were aiming perhaps for less a consistency of tone than they more the feeling of that kind of bawdy 60s battle manga, back when they really were that absurd.

I also must say that I felt the dialogue was atrocious, like, some of the worst I've seen in anime. Gurren Lagann, at least, even had memorable lines like "Believe in me who believes in you" from the very first episode. The dialogue in this is split between utter nonsense and pointless, rapid-fire exposition. Did we really need a scene explaining that three-star uniforms are more powerful than two-star, which are more powerful than one-star, etc. I think everyone already grasped the video-game like ranking system by that point.

I kinda agree and kinda disagree with you on this. Yeah, some of the exposition seemed superfluous, but at the same time, some people are already complaining about it throwing you into things a little too quickly, and the scene where Mako's brother attempts to mug Ryuuko amused me purely on a dialogue level in a fashion I thought was legitimately clever.

7Th

These competing impressions left me unable to identify with any of the characters. It's especially hard in a series with such an over-the-top setting, where you really need a grounded and identifiable character to relate to, but Ryuuko is a total cipher outside of her one-dimensional motivation at this point in the narrative. Either that or she's just bland. Satsuki is easily the most interesting character, but she's even more of a mystery than Ryuuko. Every other character is just a walking trope, without anything interesting to say about them.

I dunno, I found Ryuuko pretty human and easy to read as a character. There were a lot of little details about her actions that give her a clear personality that I personally find easy to empathize with.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And really uninspiring one, jebus.. the OP only consist girl moving around and zoom-in to her big moe eyes every 8 second.

Yea, I see Golden Time getting buried under not only Kill La Kill but Samurai Flamenco and Galilei Donna when they start next week.

Naruto Shippuden 333

Opening: Still bad.
Ending: Love it. Why can't Naruto Shippuden have a good OP and ED at the same time?

Tsunade tries to stay strong and make a passionate speech but since she's facing Madara, all she recieves for her efforts is a hole in her chest and his merciless trolling over her and the other Kages.

Meanwhile, Itachi and Sasuke finally decide to tag team up and work together to bring down Kabuto and his Reanimation Jutsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom