• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Railgun S: 24 (END)

Well, the Raildex seasons always tend to have epic ending episodes, and this was no exception.
A freaking Mech! Cool battles! Falling from near space!

I actually fell way behind on this and caught myself up in a week or so. Glad I did.

7Th

Kill la Kill episode one pre-screening impressions:

"The first episode of Kill la Kill was incredibly good! My expectations were shattered, it was filled with overwhelming speed and energy. I believe that a great future awaits for this work." (Hisashi from Glay)

"My soul and body trembled; this is going to become a legendary anime." (Seikaisha Imai, editor for Star Seas Company)

"It was like getting your body and whole body shaken repeatedly; super exciting! I can't wait to watch it again." (Mari Shimazaki, character designer for Bayonetta)

"It's old-school but at the same time refreshing; non-stop sexy violence from beginning to end. This show will raise the far for intensity in anime." (Redjuice, artist)

"It was just 24 minutes long, but I was completely overwhelmed. I don't have one single complaint! Oh, and Ryuuko was much cuter than I expected."

"Nothing about it was half-assed; animation and heat were full-force from beginning to end. Everything was super cool."

"Everyone NEEDS to watch this when it comes out in TV next week."

"I'm glad it was 2D, if it had been 3D I would have died from excitement."

"It was like a non-stop rollercoaster; an incredible amount of content for one episode. Extremely interesting."

These are just a few, but impressions as a whole seem overwhelmingly positive; I don't think I've read a single review that isn't glowing. Of course, there is always the disclaimer that if you went to see the premiere you're obviously a Gurren-Lagann fan; that definitely means you have a taste for this sort of cartoon...

http://blog.livedoor.jp/sokudokuex/archives/33452827.html
http://jamberry.at.webry.info/201309/article_497.html
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-18940.html
http://togetter.com/li/569880

cajunator

Banned
Magi Kingdom of Magic PV
tumblr_mtw4v3JJL31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Glad he returns but where is Judar :(
The ending looked like things get even more serious than where Labryinth of magic ended, looking forward to it.

Wait, one yandere eye and one not? thats an interesting idea.

She had the same personality as every single female in SAO.

I suppose, but we'll never know because her character wasnt even explored at all.

/XX/

Why is a member from the band Glay giving his opinion
A person with that many followers (remember this quote was extracted from twitter), and many of those who think they come to know at least a little his taste can use it as a baseline to judge it themselves. See it as better familiarity with his tastes than what understanding they could have with a lot of other random people they aren't nearly as aware of. Public faces sometimes fill that middleman role (any dishonesty in it would be another question).

Theonik

Princess Tutu 09
itDSIX92LVMhU.png

Dat Krahe
So
Fakir might actually join in on Tutu's side, and the music player is not semi-confirmed to be Frosselmeyer's puppet? Rue's conviction as Krahe is also once again challenged and strengthened by her growing jealousy for Tutu.
*happening intensifies*
I should also once again mention how lewd this show is, but also this time note how well it actually fits into the show thematically, especially with the Ballet theme.

CorvoSol

Most harem characters have that personality. My point is, she was more interesting than the other ones at least.

If the show had been about Klein, Egil, and Lizbet, would it have been a better show?

The answer is no because the writer is a horrible human being and you should all have known this the moment you saw Scrappyuguha.

/XX/

What I haven't seen yet from the impressions from the special screening event are faithful translations of comments that mention something about this KILL la KILL first episode's soundtrack!

By the way, I don't specifically have a problem with Hiroyuki Sawano for the moment, only problem I can personally feel about right now is that Mr. Sawano is not Taku Takahashi, which means no Taku Takahashi's friends at it, which means no resident DJs of MOGRA involved, which means no party at MOGRA this time... :-(

Any other concern remains to be seen (heard), in my opinion.

7Th

What I haven't seen yet from the impressions from the special screening event are faithful translations of comments that mention something about the episode's soundtrack!

By the way I don't specifically have a problem with Hiroyuki Sawano for the moment, only problem I can personally feel about right now is that Mr. Sawano is not Taku Takahashi, which means no Taku Takahasi's friends at it, which means no resident DJs from MOGRA involved, which means no party at MOGRA this time... :-(

Any other concern remains to be seen (heard), in my opinion.

I've read people call the OST cool, but not a lot of specific talk about it.

cajunator

Banned
If the show had been about Klein, Egil, and Lizbet, would it have been a better show?

The answer is no because the writer is a horrible human being and you should all have known this the moment you saw Scrappyuguha.

Well I know that but it would have been tolerable. Maybe.
I just wanted to see more Liz.

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun 12 (END)

If anyone was so deathly curious to find the bottom of the mid-2000s harem barrel, look no further because I'm positive I've found it. Bad looking everything, including most fanservice, one of the most boring harem leads ever (this is really saying a lot), melodrama worse than the worst KEY property, and aside from goddess Reika-sama some of the most boring harem members ever. This show is strictly for masochists and/or Miyukichi fans who don't know how to stop.

Also Mayu is SHIT, SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

cajunator

Banned

If anyone was so deathly curious to find the bottom of the mid-2000s harem barrel, look no further because I'm positive I've found it. Bad looking everything, including most fanservice, one of the most boring harem leads ever (this is really saying a lot), melodrama worse than the worst KEY property, and aside from goddess Reika-sama some of the most boring harem members ever. This show is strictly for masochists and/or Miyukichi fans who don't know how to stop.

Sounds like a horrible waste of time. Ill check it out.

(I can't think of very much "similar to Midori" in the anime field, though there is a wealth of strange independent cinema to come out of Japan on the live-action side which I can name, if you're interested.)

I actually can't think of too many projects similar to Midori either. But when I think of it as a passion project that may have suffered some form of troubled development due to a mostly uncompromised vision of the creator, it reminds me of Hideaki Anno's Evangelion. I was also fascinated reading things about his depression possibly bleeding into the work as well as the reasons behind why End of Evangelion came to be. Even though Harada's and Anno's works could not be more different, I see similarities with them both being disillusioned in the industry at a similar time. I know that may be a stretch, but it's the best that I could think of at the moment. I'm all ears regarding other live action suggestions though!

Theonik

Princess Tutu 10
So Fakir remains tsun for Tutu but is becoming increasingly more accepting of his fate. Ahiru also realises what Fakir's real angle was. Krahe on the other hand has predictably become more assertive but continues to have doubts, which force her to stop her schemes halfway. How long till Rue's personality gets consumed totally is everyone's guess. The ending of Fakir realising Ahiru is Tutu is probably going to lead into some pretty awesome stuff down the line.

Dresden

Uchoten Kazoku - 13

A show that was so obsessed with the fate of tanuki being boiled in hotpots ending with a hotpot of the entire cast being tossed together was pretty amusing.

The show lost some of its allure as it transitioned into the storyline of the brothers, but ultimately, I think it did well, capping off their characters in a satisfying fashion, and bringing together the disparate strands developed throughout the episodes into a nice conclusion. I wish it hadn't been so light-hearted near the end, but that sort of optimism is appreciated, too. The tanuki themselves move on, even if the viewer can't.

And you know, for such a consistently nice looking show, the detail that stuck out at me the most in this episode was just having the pedestrians move in and out of the frame, in the background, each individual animated - it's the sort of attention and care that's nice to see.

Well it's bad ..but not THAT bad.

The imouto was ok

...Fuck you Theonik, these screenshots are making me want to watch Princess Tutu so badly...and I don't have time!!
I have to study discrete mathematics

*throws at backlog*

Hello there, new thread.

cajunator

Banned
Princess Tutu 10

So Fakir remains tsun for Tutu but is becoming increasingly more accepting of his fate. Ahiru also realises what Fakir's real angle was. Krahe on the other hand has predictably become more assertive but continues to have doubts, which force her to stop her schemes halfway. How long till Rue's personality gets consumed totally is everyone's guess. The ending of Fakir realising Ahiru is Tutu is probably going to lead into some pretty awesome stuff down the line.

Its so good. ITS SO GOOD.

Sora no Woto 1

Fgzzpgu.png

Show is gorgeous. Army Yui is adorable.

So is this one heehee.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova and Beyond 35

0dD1O9sl.jpg

It's like that movie with Jirachi expect without an annoying shota and instead we just have two annoying girls.

Midonin

Fantasista Doll
O Glory, O Friendship Cannon

aka the other doll show. Fantasista Doll feels like a show out of timeslot. Though it aired late at night, everything from the card system to the design of Uzume's phone thing looks like it should be on shelves by Bandai, and ideally have a Data Cardass game to tie into. Such a series would be aimed at young girls and probably have a slightly different storyline, but friendship is a theme that can be found in almost any anime. I think this show being marketed alongside Aikatsu! might have improved it in a few ways - girls could do with a few more battle anime. Also, I'd still be watching it.

I say this because my one major complaint with the show comes across as nitpicky. The lack of a consistent card system. The show fleshed out its Doll Dictionary as the show went on, hinting at many characters who got no more than a second of screentime between them. Perhaps it's meant more for a mobile game, like Cinderella Girls or Senran Kagura New Wave. Just that the cards used in battle don't have a rigidly defined system, which leaves me unsure of where to place the stakes.

Though I am certain of where some cards lie. The Friendship Cannon is probably my favorite thing in the entire series. It comes with its own drumroll, and the flowery phrases attached to everything actually increase the appeal for me. It's all very theatrical, and theatrical is something that anime does well.

It became clear early on that it was less about battle and more about friendship and daily life, and I'm fine with that. Uzume's relationship with her dolls was fun to see evolve, and everybody got their moment in the spotlight. Even her mom and her sister had episodes where they were drawn to the spotlight. I know "hope" is a word repeated a lot in anime (though FD doesn't even come close to Danganronpa). Just something that came to mind while watching the finale.

I want this to actually last for more episodes than it did. Some in between comedy hijinks to show more of what things are like for Kagami's team, Manai's team, all the other dolls who only got a fraction of screentime. More time to see Uzume growing. I enjoyed the series as it was even if it turned out different than I was expecting. And unlike Genei, a happy ending feels more in step with the tone of the show here.

The opening was one of my favorites for the season. While I liked InuHasa's because it was chaotic, I like this one because it flows well. It's retro, for lack of a better word. Similar to the themes used for Sakura Taisen, those kinds of things. The ending was adorable (and yuri-tastic). Can't wait for the character songs, either. So many great voice actresses among the cast.

Final Thoughts: While my suggestion of how to improve it is unorthodox, the show was it was became a perfectly enjoyable way to spend time. Uzume and her dolls had a believable character arc, and the Friendship Cannon rocks. I wonder if they'll sell those phone things?

Tenumi

Banned
Infinite Stratos: 10

Ah... The harem's all together...

So Houki gets a personal unit like the rest of the main characters, we meet her sister,
developer of the IS
, and they get assigned to stop a rouge unmanned IS.

You would think they'd stop it with trying to develop these unmanned units, after so many failures...

Grand Theft Tanuki 13 (End)

his was a great way to wrap things up while still leaving some strands for theoretical books which may or may not be made anytime soon. Loved Yasaburo's spur of the moment plan to make Akadama jealous and kick off his rampage. Going to miss not looking forward to Sundays anymore. ;___;

Show of the season easily for me.

Andrew J.

Galilei Donna
Kill la Kill
Kyoukai no Kanata[
VVV S2

Short list this season. I'll probably start backlogging Highschool DxD.

Theonik

Princess Tutu 11
Please tell me Drosselmeyer fucks off a cliff.
Oh man. That Krahe. Such sadness. Such hatred.
I wonder what will happen to the prince now. What will Krahe do. This seems like a step in her getting resolve at first but really it was an act of desperation. What is she planning to do.
*Happening critical*

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 8 (rewatch)

Urusai count = Episode: 2 Total: 18

Oh god.
"RYUJI IS MINE, DON'T TOUCH HIM!"
So many feels. ;_; Also the scene a bit before that when
Taiga first hints at having feelings for Ryuji, even if she doesn't understand them yet

This show, man. <3

cajunator

Banned
Princess Tutu 11

Please tell me Drosselmeyer fucks off a cliff.
Oh man. That Krahe. Such sadness. Such hatred.
I wonder what will happen to the prince now. What will Krahe do. This seems like a step in her getting resolve at first but really it was an act of desperation. What is she planning to do.
*Happening critical*

Accurate

Fantasita Doll 12 Fin

This was probably the most boring show I watched this season. I don't understand how a show about girls who play card games and gain magic girl YGO esque powers can be this dull. I think we got maybe 1 decent fight in the entire show. The designs and concept deserved a better show then this. 1.5/5 not sure why I enjoy it so much at first this show really wasn't that good.

Dresden

Love Lab - 13

All the Love Labs are best girls, but some are bester than others at certain things. Kinda impressed at how solid all the characters turned out to be, which isn't what I'd expect from a 4-koma adaptation. Even the boys - those abominable boys - turned out to be charming and perfectly likable.

There were some painful moments this episode, but it was carried along by some good humor (Sayo killed it this episode). The drama by the end felt surprisingly earned, and its resolution was more than a little cathartic. I'd like to see a season 2 happen, however likely, or unlikely, it may be.

Good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom