• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Freezing S2 - 01

Gonna watch this for my waifu (see below). The
E-Pandora thing is crazy, but is gonna lead to some good fights.

cu3R88T.jpg

Sword Art Online 10

Greatest episode ever

Kirito, you dumb fuck! Why the fuck would you wait until marriage? You beating loser!

DiGiKerot

Australia is basically all Madman, although someone could correct me on that.

Are Hanabi and Siren still things as well?

In the UK, the main publisher is Manga Entertainment, usually branded Manga UK. They publish the lion's share of the anime that gets a UK release, including most (if not all) of Funimation's pickups. There's also Kaze (a French publisher who seems to be pulling out of the UK market, and was distributed by Manga anyway), MVM (dunno, lol) and the new upstart All the Anime (also known as Anime Ltd), best known for taking prime back-catalogue cuts (Bebop, Outlaw Star, TTGL), and might be beginning to take prime front-catalogue cuts (Kill la Kill, potentially, depending on the details of their new deal which I'll mention in the next paragraph).

MVM have been around since the VHS days - they basically started by picking up the Animeigo stuff once AnimeProjects disappeared. These days, if Sentai have something in the US, there's a pretty decent chance we'll see it over here through MVM. Also more likely to get Geneon stuff than Manga are due to political reasons.

Canal Plus distribute Ghibli content over here. I could go through all the long-dead labels, but there's little point in that.

As for UK streaming, Crunchyroll needs no introduction, Anime on Demand was an attempt by Kaze that kinda died on its arse after three seasons, and the French streaming service Wakanim, whose UK arm they're currently forming is backed by All the Anime, and whose gimmick is download to own (in HD and DRM free, which I believe is a first for the UK market for any country's television). It helps their their default price (£1.25/episode according to the press release) is also the cheapest on the market (iTunes charges £1.89/SD episode and £2.50/HD episode). First on the UK arm is Kill la Kill (prime front-catalgoue cut), and I expect the other anime that explicitly avoid the UK and France on Crunchyroll will probably turn up. We shall see if the model is successful knowing the big catch (four week time limit for free streaming of each episode, afterwords you've gotta rent or buy) or if it'll fade out like Anime on Demand, but still. If I can really get Kill la Kill DRM free for £30 years before the (knowing Aniplex) four sets of Blu Rays @ £25 each arrive on these shores, I'm going to take it.

A lot of unfortunate things went against Anime on Demand, alas. Admittedly, there were things which were particularly great about the service anyway (like, that one week where they posted Chuunibyou with ludicrously large subtitles and it took over a week for them to fix it), but when other territories got their knuckles rapped for posting things early (mostly Sentai and To-love-ru Darkness), they got way more screwed over in the aftermath than their foreign partners did. Alas, no-one is willing to talk about AoD due to NDA's, so the full story will never probably come out (and when no-one in the UK industry will speak about something, you know the NDAs are serious!)

We get Daisuki in the UK as well, admittedly with diminished content. Even some of the Aniplex stuff which was available here at launch no longer is!

AlltheAnime are also going to be streaming Samurai Flamenco, by the way, much to the surprise of no-one given than Andrew said he was interested in the show at Ayacon a couple of months back.

Quasar

Sword Art Online 12-14

I'm assuming episode 14 was intended to be the end of the series before it got a second season, yes? It was pretty decent as endings go.

No. Its all one season. And they were many more LN volumes in by that point.

Sword Art Online 15

Okay, I think I hit the wall you were talking about. What the fuck is this bullshit?

Heh. Reskimming it...I was pretty fine with it till we got the introduction of the villain. I liked seeing Kirito trying to readjust to real life and dealing with Asuna still trapped.

At the request of Noi, I thought I'd put up some final thoughts regarding The Flowers of Evil. Because I'm a filthy pleb and I cannot really rate stuff like "directing" or "cameramanship" in any competent way, I will divide my discussion of the show into the following four categories: The Cast, The Plot, The Visuals, and The Score.

Honestly, the show could have ended here, but having read the manga, I can say that there are so many developments you would not expect. I'm not even sure what I think of the story at this point, but if you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, check it out, or hope for an eventual second season.

DiGiKerot

Wow, the new season of Aikatsu was absolutely bludgeoned with the QUALITY stick. Its first season actually had consistently good production values for a plastic shit show, but apparently one of its major sponsors backed out of its sponsorship for this season, and this is the result:

tons of malformed, pointy faces and well fuck just look at the hands in that third image. RIP Ai Kats

Isn't the issue that Telecom, the studio which lent the show most of the people with actual talent who worked on it, are no longer doing animation co-production on the show? Aside from the staff drain, Sunrise are probably finding themselves with just as much to do with fewer, less skilled staff. Whelp.

On the positive(?) side, they do at least seem to have gotten slightly more ambitious with the CG, but I'm missing swag, sakuga Bepp already.

Quasar

Are Hanabi and Siren still things as well?

Yes. If anything Hanabi is much more interesting than madman in terms of content.

Only madman streams anything, and its random stuff to promote disc sales. They don't even charge for it. I'm actually pretty surprised they are simulcasting Coppelion.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Isn't the issue that Telecom, the studio which lent the show most of the people with actual talent who worked on it, are no longer doing animation co-production on the show? Aside from the staff drain, Sunrise are probably finding themselves with just as much to do with fewer, less skilled staff. Whelp.

On the positive(?) side, they do at least seem to have gotten slightly more ambitious with the CG, but I'm missing swag, sakuga Bepp already.

whoops, knew it was Telcom but for some reason I thought they were a financial backer and not a studio. I'd honestly never heard of them before I started reading complaints about Aikatsu S2's visuals. Guess I got mixed up.

Playing Wind Waker HD got me thinking....

What anime exists where nearly everything you have at your disposal is a usable weapon? Not just like sword or something, but strange unconventional things like grappling hooks and whatnot?

Hell, what about games?

Heh. Reskimming it...I was pretty fine with it till we got the introduction of the villain. I liked seeing Kirito trying to readjust to real life and dealing with Asuna still trapped.

I'll push on, but the
weirdo trying to marry her while she's in a coma
is the dumbest plot device ever.

LordCanti

Coppelion, or, alternatively, Tepco's White Face Heavy Black Outline Contamination Boogaloo 01

Nothing about this show is interesting to me. The characters are whiny and overly dramatic, the animation style is kind of bad (the backgrounds are basically The Last of Us, and the characters are weird black outlined snow white faced freaks). I don't...I don't care what happened to the city. I'm sure it was Tepco. I'm sure that's what they're doing.

Gazoinks

The Tatami Galaxy 4

No idea what to make of Higuchi, but he had a nice song this episode.
I like how they're piling on references to all the past cycles or whatever they are.

One of the things I like a lot about this show so far is that, despite all of the surreality, Watashi is a very grounded character. He's just... an apathetic guy who lacks passion and blames his situation for his problems.

Man I'm already more than a third of the way through this series.

WATASHI RETURN THE THINGY ALREADY

Diamond no Ace 01

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That laugh!

So I like the voice acting, it's pretty stellar. This NAKAMA talk is pretty nice and the characters are pretty fun too. Will keep watching!

Azure J

Came here to see if Anime-GAF was watching Toonami-GAF with witty banter included for my amusement and see this:

Ah the Toonami thread has given me
two years worth
of laughs today.

Now I leave with head down low because I legitimately understand this fucking "joke" now. Not cool man. Not cool.

fertygo

Show that "not that bad" won't inviting that kind of reaction chain, for folks that still confused SAO get so much backlash.

Articalys

Oh, and an anime adaptation was announced for LN series Black Bullet.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/727/727526/
A near future, where humans have been defeated by the viral parasites named Gastrea. They have been exiled into a small territory and live in despair, side by side with terror.

In this world trapped in darkness--

Rentaro, a boy living near Tokyo and member of the "Civil Security" -- an organization specializing in fighting against the Gastrea -- is used to accomplishing dangerous tasks. His partner is Enju, a precocious young girl. They fight thanks to their peculiar powers until one day, when they receive a special assignment from the government. This top secret mission is to prevent the destruction of Tokyo...

Set in a near future, this thrilling heroic-action story... starts now!
Director: Masayuki Kojima (Monster)
Series Composition: Tatsuhiko Urahata (Monster, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere)
Production: Kinema Citrus (Yuyushiki)

Lead cast is Yuki Kaji, Rina Hidaka, and Rikiya Koyama.

Shizuo and Kuroyukihime are in the Dengeki fighting game.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/726/726556/

PV featuring Shana, Mikoto, Kirino, and Asuna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sllVigl8n1E

Also, eventual console release confirmed, but no other details for now.

I am surprised that we're getting male playable characters.

Even more surprised that Shizuo is the first one.

Totally bet Izaya is going to be his support character just to make all the fujoishis buy this game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hajime no Ippo: Rising 01
this seemed lame. manly baby flashback was zzzzz.

Chuck

Still without luck
Ace of the Diamond 1

Decent first episode. It drops you in a weird position though. You meant to think this guy cares about his team sooo much but then goes to check out the camp for a school he hasn't told them about? That's weird. Also the writing I'm not so sure about. Oofuri this is not, but I guess that is an unfair expectation. Will stick with it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Magi impressions - I changed to channel so not sure, but it's on again ( ≖‿≖)

Is Aladdin's VA the same? Sounds very girly but I didn't watch much of last season so I don't remember.

3p8aI5x.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom