• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Magi impressions - I changed to channel so not sure, but it's on again ( ≖‿≖)

Is Aladdin's VA the same? Sounds very girly but I didn't watch much of last season so I don't remember.

3p8aI5x.png

It's number 2 on my list, Kaori Ishihara.

Jex

I'm biased because reasons, but I think GAF's hatred for it is really overblown. You'd think it was the worst goddamned movie if you just went by this board's reaction to it, as opposed to a charming flick about a young old woman collecting a makeshift family inside of a gorgeously animated patchwork castle with legs.

Nice to see the classic avatar return.

I won't speak for GAF, but for myself, when I say that the films key problem is that the story complete falls apart somewhere in the middle and becomes a bit of a mess which is fairly disappointing when the movie starts so strong. It's not 'the worst movie of all time' but, for Miyazaki, it's certainly a very disappointing outing and easily the worst in his filmography.

I don't think the negative reaction to this movie is entirely isolated to GAF. I know that metacritic is worthless but Howl's Moving Castle is his lowest rated movie on that a site with a 'mere' 80 e.g. very good. Roger Ebert, in his two and a half star review, said something I would agree with: "A parade of weird characters comes onstage to do their turns, but the underlying plot grows murky and, amazingly for a Miyazaki film, we grow impatient at spectacle without meaning."

That, of course, doesn't make it garbage or anything, just disappointing which I suppose is almost as bad for some people.

Kunagisa

Neo Member
So they splitted up Urahata and Ono to do two different mediocre LN adaptations, Horizon confirmed for no season 3 forever. On the plus side, heres hoping Mahouka sells more than SAO just because everyone loves incestuous and environmental Gary Stu who creates E = MC^2.

This is utmost enraging and hilarious at the same time. Oh well, at least Sunrise is not involved.

fertygo

Out of all thing Deadhouse can do to became relevant.. I want to cry.

=========

Kuroko's Basketball S2 - 01

Dat OP with budget from disc sales.. yum

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
White Album 2
For being the adaptation of an adult visual novel this was very low key and mature. I kind of wound up liking it a lot because in spite of being very plain at times it feels to the point and endearing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Went to the London Japanese Matsuri yesterday. They were celebrating 400 years since the British-Japanese trading post was established and 150 years since the Choshu Five. Guess they forgot the third British-Japanese connection: Kiniro Mosaic was broadcast this year!

And no, it wasn't quite like the festivals you always see in anime.

Jex

[Hajime No Ippo - Rising] - 1

So this is more Ippo in basically the same vein as the previous season for both good and ill. The director who has directed both this and last season of Hajime No Ippo just isn't as skilled as the director of the original series. His fight direction isn't quite as strong and the action doesn't feel as weighty as it should.

Moreover the music in the 2000's series was strictly superior to the bland rubbish that they drop into fights for these new seasons and this i find to be a fairly big problem. Action scenes aren't just complemented by good music, they practically signature tunes and themes to build excitement, instruct the audience, and infuse the action with a certain power. All the major original Ippo songs would get me excited from the first couple of bars which led to a build up in excitement before either of the fighters had thrown a punch. The loss of a great soundtrack can't be underestimated. It doesn't seem to help that the new director, Jun Shishido, doesn't seem to be that good at using the music he has to hand.

Despite what I've said above this is more Ippo, which I find to be enjoyable (if not particularly mind blowing) regardless of said problems. It's probably going to be a very solid show that I imagine I will watch all the way through.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Karin 5

Okay, never mind, they really didn't undercut that. It was just wonky subtitles on the last episode, my bad.

Henry's seiyu for some reason makes me think of Luigi. Which is highly appropriate, lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Playing Wind Waker HD got me thinking....

What anime exists where nearly everything you have at your disposal is a usable weapon? Not just like sword or something, but strange unconventional things like grappling hooks and whatnot?
Jackie Chan Adventures ;)

mAcOdIn

So....
Watched the first episode of Kill la Kill and uh, it's passable. A little more fantasy than I'd have done but I really like that even though it's by the numbers it knows it and doesn't bother trying to hide that, it just swings from scene to scene instead of wasting time. And, uh, hopefully the uniform fills out the more people she defeats so it's not so lame by the end.

Wanna be the Strongest in the World
- Watching things blind almost always ends in pain and this show has not managed to buck that trend. The setting's incredibly boring, Crunchyroll's title, well the original title too, should have been a big enough clue to stay away and yet I watched it. The art's pretty shitty. Not a fan of super enhanced skin blush. Not sure why the universe has to have everything we have just powered by magic instead of electricity. Not sure what the fuck seahorses are doing pulling carriages, on land no less. Still not a fan of the obvious girl that's mistaken for a guy thing, not sure who this serves here. It's never actually with a character that could actually pass as a man so all it does is seem stupid. Which it is. Where is this contingent of people that like this kind of introduction? I want to punch them. All of them. The show has one saving grace and that's that at the end as the credits rolled they played the whole thing in reverse really fast which was therapeutic, almost like rewinding time back to a point where I hadn't watched it.
More like 'best infodump ever'. One of the few redeeming lights in the mess of darkness and nonsense that is Egro Proxy.
The story's nonsense for sure but Re-l's awesome and the episode where everyone's stuck for a day is amazing.

Jex

[Kyoukai no Kanata] - 1

I've never quite appreciated the writings of Nisio Isin so much as when I was watching this episode because KnK is the truly the worst kind of irredeemable light novel garbage that thinks it's being reflective and cool when really it's just dumb. Nision Isin's writings actually succeed where as this fails. For those who doubt the importance of writing in anime look no further than this show because when the core of your work is rotten nothing can be done to save it.

No matter how much you polish glass it will never be diamond in the same way that no matter how many extremely talented people from one of the best animation studios in Japan slaves over KnN it will never be anything other than a very pretty, but wholly bad light novel adaptation.

But what a fight they put up! As you might expect from KyoAni this is one of the best looking anime episodes of the year featuring some of the finest cinematography, editing and animation of any series. As such I will continue to watch this series to simply observe the craft of the directors and animators who are sure to put on a spectacular, if ultimately hollow, show.

It's utterly fruitless to wish KyoAni would work with some material that's actually good and not set in highschool but a man can dream, right?

Kurita

Diamond no Ace 1

I like the OP (song and animation) but the ED is a bit lazy...
Anyway, I know what to expect since I read the manga, but it'll be fun.

Quasar

Diamond no Ace 1

I normally avoid sports anime, unless its Chihayafuru or its just using a sport as a vague backdrop like Suzuka, but I gave this a try. In part because its the closest real sport to somehing I'd enjoy that's played by Japanese.And I guess I had nothing better to do.

Quite liked it. Will give it another episode. Just to see the protagonists pitching that I guess puts the loud giant in his place.

Diamond no Ace 1

I like the OP (song and animation) but the ED is a bit lazy...
Anyway, I know what to expect since I read the manga, but it'll be fun.

Yeah a fantastic OP can draw me to a series, ED's are slightly down the list but still nice to see good ones.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Hajime No Ippo - Rising] - 1

So this is more Ippo in basically the same vein as the previous season for both good and ill. The director who has directed both this and last season of Hajime No Ippo just isn't as skilled as the director of the original series. His fight direction isn't quite as strong and the action doesn't feel as weighty as it should.

Moreover the music in the 2000's series was strictly superior to the bland rubbish that they drop into fights for these new seasons and this i find to be a fairly big problem. Action scenes aren't just complemented by good music, they practically signature tunes and themes to build excitement, instruct the audience, and infuse the action with a certain power. All the major original Ippo songs would get me excited from the first couple of bars which led to a build up in excitement before either of the fighters had thrown a punch. The loss of a great soundtrack can't be underestimated. It doesn't seem to help that the new director, Jun Shishido, doesn't seem to be that good at using the music he has to hand.

Despite what I've said above this is more Ippo, which I find to be enjoyable (if not particularly mind blowing) regardless of said problems. It's probably going to be a very solid show that I imagine I will watch all the way through.
So true on the music. Big Bang Baby is still a favorite GET HYPE track for me, and the rest aren't far behind. The swell of emotion in the show's first use of Stand Proud is another great example of everything coming together perfectly.

Heh. Reskimming it...I was pretty fine with it till we got the introduction of the villain. I liked seeing Kirito trying to readjust to real life and dealing with Asuna still trapped.

I agree on both. Loved seeing Kirito in RL. Suguha makes the rest watchable.

Kurita

I normally avoid sports anime, unless its Chihayafuru or its just using a sport as a vague backdrop like Suzuka, but I gave this a try. In part because its the closest real sport to somehing I'd enjoy that's played by Japanese.And I guess I had nothing better to do.

Quite liked it. Will give it another episode. Just to see the protagonists pitching that I guess puts the loud giant in his place.

It gets better as we discover the other players so I recommend watching a couple more episodes. The supporting cast is pretty fun.

BluWacky

The story's nonsense for sure but Re-l's awesome and the episode where everyone's stuck for a day is amazing.

Busy Doing Nothing is one of my favourite episodes of anime ever.

It's a shame the show is so desperately uneven, it has some really enjoyable sections.

Jex

[Monogatari S2] - 13

Damn, Shinobu demonstrating why she's the best girl by taking Nadeko apart piece by piece. Good stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, the new season of Aikatsu was absolutely bludgeoned with the QUALITY stick. Its first season actually had consistently good production values for a plastic shit show, but apparently one of its major sponsors backed out of its sponsorship for this season, and this is the result:

tons of malformed, pointy faces and well fuck just look at the hands in that third image. RIP Ai Kats

Well damn. What exactly about the budget cuts leads to this sorta thing? Lesser experienced artists? I dont really understand how a lower budget affects the body proportions and such. I mean cant most artists who do this stuff professionally make a well proportioned normal anime face?

Valvrave 4

So apparently if you start stripping that's the auto-win button for any argument.

Call me Moses

Valvrave 5

Kickstart our teenage democracy please.

Is this sexual intercourse?

JoJo 3

Physics are more like guidelines, really.

Steins;Gate 3

This story sure is convoluted. I suppose part of it is White Fox not being very good at executing it.

Steins;Gate was a bit disjointed sometimes but I wouldnt say it was convoluted. Its pretty easy to follow. I know I followed the story along quite easily and understood all the elements of it leading up to the situation and beyond it.

Infinite Stratos 2

I don't get Houki's feelings toward Ichika. She hasn't seen him in 6 years, seen that he's become an incompetent, weak wiener, and...that makes her start to love him? Or rekindles her love for him? If anything she should have learned that this idiot isn't worth her time. Like she said, he's changed so much. And not for the better, unless he was somehow even more of a loser back then.

What a bullshit way to end that. He should have gotten his ass handed straight to him. The dude doesn't know shit about IS, and he's fighting an expert. Instead they have him almost defeat her but lose when his sword drains all of his energy? Fuck that noise. It's obvious they're just using it so Cecilia can start to feel attracted to him, but if anything that makes it even more bullshit. The guy sucks and everybody should hate him.

The correct answer is because hes a harem protagonist and thats what they do.

SAKI DESTROYED

GET WRECKED

PANZER VOR

Justice has been served. Take your mahjong Saki and go the fuck home.

PaniPoni Dash 19-21

It's a dream come true when you have a string of episodes where a side-character you really like gets a decent amount of screen time, and in one of these episode's case an episode where she's the main character. Especially if that character is as lovely as Serizawa is. I'm pretty close to the end of the show so I'll just save any opinions I've had with the show until then, I just REALLY needed to post Serizawa because she is too fuwafuwa to not do so.

purposefully didnt tell you about this girl in Paniponi dash. Wanted you to be pleasantly squeeprised.

Actually, looks like it comes with a Koko Kaga swimsuit figure.

Hmmm. Not feelin it. Whats with peoples interest in these swimsuit figs? they are usually really plain and boring and look like literally every other swimsuit figure except with the new characters head. For the amount of money these cost I want something a lot more unique!

Okay, fine, here you all go. Anime announced for Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/727/727522/

Finally my prayers have been answered and after so long get to see animated Tatsuya and even Leo there, I need to see and hear Mikihiko too and if they can get to Crimson Prince and Cardinal George (best arc) would be so worthwhile. I hope they adapt 52 episodes worth of material. Easily top 10 anime.

Game announcement of shizuo is nice would have wanted kida masaomi more.

fertygo

Finally my prayers have been answered and after so long get to see animated Tatsuya and even Leo there, I need to see and hear Mikihiko too and if they can get to Crimson Prince and Cardinal George (best arc) would be so worthwhile. I hope they adapt 52 episodes worth of material. Easily top 10 anime.

Dude. one step at a time..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace of Diamond Episode 1:

SO many shoenen emotions, so much shonen yelling, the dramatic wind should be here any episode now. Also, good to see that Eren from Attack on Titan is still getting work at the main pitcher of this show. Anyway, looks like Eren is trading the Bad New Bears for the New York Yankee's and is here to teach this team the meaning of that word. Also, I rather like the character designs, it is rare to see such a realistic style applied to anime. Basically I am compelled enough right now to make Anime GAF's top fall anime show my sports anime of the season. Also, this isn't a sequel to anything, so there is that as well.

cajunator

Banned
Both Summer Wars and TGLTT are worth seeing at least three times.

This. Corvy-kun get on that!

Looks like it might be this one?

90-second PV for Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkr0og_ROB8

Cannot wait. Still havent seen the first two "movies" but this one is supposed to have lots of new material.

WTF he almost put his finger inside of her.

well done old man, well done

Why is this particular scene animated so well?

Looks as good as the anime it's based off of.

heehee

Sword Art Online 12-14

I'm assuming episode 14 was intended to be the end of the series before it got a second season, yes? It was pretty decent as endings go.

Sword Art Online 15

Okay, I think I hit the wall you were talking about. What the fuck is this bullshit?

Dont say I never told you so...

By the way, I remember someone really liked the Stella C3-Bu OST cover art when the small version was posted before, so here's the full size (click for even bigger picture):

*hears TANK playing in head

cajunator

Banned
Playing Wind Waker HD got me thinking....

What anime exists where nearly everything you have at your disposal is a usable weapon? Not just like sword or something, but strange unconventional things like grappling hooks and whatnot?

Hell, what about games?

Nice! What area are you at?
I just started pretty much so Im still around the first temple. But knowing where to go and where to find most things means Ill breeze through the game pretty quickly. It does look really pretty (except for excessive bloom)

Ah the Toonami thread has given me
two years worth
of laughs today.

Oh god. OH GOD. Why is this a thing?

Shizuo and Kuroyukihime are in the Dengeki fighting game.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/726/726556/

PV featuring Shana, Mikoto, Kirino, and Asuna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sllVigl8n1E

Also, eventual console release confirmed, but no other details for now.

As much as I dont like some of the other characters...Im afraid this right here might sway my decision. Then again so far the only character I actually detest in it is Kirino. I can deal with Shana.

Oh, and an anime adaptation was announced for LN series Black Bullet.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/727/727526/

hmmm. Not sure what to make of this yet.

Okay, fine, here you all go. Anime announced for Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/727/727522/

Or this. Seems like a generic story done a million times. The neon looking outfit designs are kinda dull too. Ill probably still watch it if I ever get around to it (I doubt it lol)

cajunator

Banned
So....
Watched the first episode of Kill la Kill and uh, it's passable. A little more fantasy than I'd have done but I really like that even though it's by the numbers it knows it and doesn't bother trying to hide that, it just swings from scene to scene instead of wasting time. And, uh, hopefully the uniform fills out the more people she defeats so it's not so lame by the end.

What fun would that be? Of course its not going to happen. It might get skimpier though. Ultimate girls is ultimate proof that the less you wear (or nothing) the more powerful you become.

[Kyoukai no Kanata] - 1

I've never quite appreciated the writings of Nisio Isin so much as when I was watching this episode because KnK is the truly the worst kind of irredeemable light novel garbage that thinks it's being reflective and cool when really it's just dumb. Nision Isin's writings actually succeed where as this fails. For those who doubt the importance of writing in anime look no further than this show because when the core of your work is rotten nothing can be done to save it.

No matter how much you polish glass it will never be diamond in the same way that no matter how many extremely talented people from one of the best animation studios in Japan slaves over KnN it will never be anything other than a very pretty, but wholly bad light novel adaptation.

But what a fight they put up! As you might expect from KyoAni this is one of the best looking anime episodes of the year featuring some of the finest cinematography, editing and animation of any series. As such I will continue to watch this series to simply observe the craft of the directors and animators who are sure to put on a spectacular, if ultimately hollow, show.

It's utterly fruitless to wish KyoAni would work with some material that's actually good and not set in highschool but a man can dream, right?

Even if its LN schlock like you said KyoAni is on the job and it looks great. Also megane is so adorable I will see this through to the end. It will produce many fine gifs, if nothing else.

/XX/

I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job 1: Henceforth to be referred to as ICBAHSIRDTGAJ

This has way better animation than it has any right to have for being a shitty ecchi flavor of the month LN adaptation.
This is what you get just having one person like Tetsuya Takeuchi among those handling the animation. No wonder he has a penchant for solo works too, because he can actually deliver on his own! He could very well end up doing all alone that Lolikko Cutie spin-off one day. :-D

Since you don't normally comment on individual episodes of shows, I was actually going to ask what you thought of the first episode of Kill la Kill.
Thanks for your interest, ever so nice Nafe! There is not much I could say because I expect it ALL from now on!
Also because there are people who say it better and earlier. :)

I had become a huge Miyazaki fan after Spirited Away, and when I heard he was doing an adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle I was so excited that I went to the library straightaway and grabbed the book. I really enjoyed it (it is a good book), and was really looking forward to seeing Miyazaki's take on it. But when I saw the movie, I was confronted with a nonsensical mess where Miyazaki had taken the bare framework of the book's premise and wrenched it apart to fit in all his personal obsessions. Especially in the later half of the film, it became a spectacle of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I hated it, and that was long before I knew who Mamoru Hosoda was. I don't know how anyone could look at the incoherent structuring of the film and not say it's Miyazaki's weakest effort.
Yeah, but... would you say it could hold better on its own in the eyes of those who came clean towards the film because they didn't read the book but appreciated some particular merits of the film? Even if it strayed a lot from the clear narrative path that it set up early on, part of its inherent attractive was that this became the personal vision of the literary work through Mr. Miyazaki's eyes, salvaged from some remains once he took total control of the project for which didn't have more time to prepare more thoroughly, specially evident after the supposedly more straight-up adaptation planned by Mamoru Hosoda, and Mr. Miyazaki's apparent motivation to break away from that as a differentiation.

Maybe by having seen Ponyo, which has even bigger structural problems and is just an all around awful film that is stuck between three different films (none of which are explored in any interesting way because Miyazaki keeps deciding to do something different).

Howl's, at least from my memory, was nowhere near as self-indulgent as Ponyo, and it was fairly cohesive as a whole. Maybe I'd feel differently about the film on a second viewing, but I can't imagine there's any way in which it is worse than Ponyo.
I find amusing that comparison because one film is in part a response to the criticisms about messiness directed towards the other:

Hayao Miyazaki - AN EXTENSIVE TALK WITH MIYAZAKI HAYAO AT GHIBLI ASEMAMIRE 42 said:
After I made Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (ハウルの動く城, Howl’s Moving Castle), I regretted that people said it was not understandable. Basically, my belief was to make movies for children. Despite of this, I made Howl’s. I had worried till I decided to make a next movie.
http://www.ghibliworld.com/newsarchive.html

cajunator

Banned
Howl's Moving Castle is a bad movie. It's like Miyazaki's Hook. I guess every director has to have one at some point. :p

I dunno really. It was bad by his standard of excellence but still pretty watchable. It also wasnt really all Miyazaki's doing. How difficult is it to come into someones half finished work and try to turn it into something great?

Pooya

Magi s2 -1

1gpjws.jpg

last time I watched magi, was like episode 6 or something when some old woman died.
now I start this episode woah, there are actual wizards and witches and everything in some big war, wtf.

2oikny.jpg

There are way too many characters and looks like there is going to be even more soon. The setting seems interesting enough, if it wasn't for me being ~20 episodes behind I might have watched it, can't be bothered with now.

OP seems ok, it's kinda the usual thing though, not much creativity in here. I like that ED is a series of flashback scenes to previous seasons and stuff I haven't seen mostly.
drunk KanaHana was lol.

duckroll

I dunno really. It was bad by his standard of excellence but still pretty watchable. It also wasnt really all Miyazaki's doing. How difficult is it to come into someones half finished work and try to turn it into something great?

It was all Miyazaki's doing. There's nothing "half finished" about the previous version. It was never made. Miyazaki didn't finish up someone else's work. Ghibli decided they were too good to work on something which was done differently from their normal movies, so they scrapped Hosoda's version. The film that Miyazaki made is written, directed, and storyboarded by Miyazaki. It contains no elements of the previous script, storyboards, or designs.

I don't think it's bad by Miyazaki's standards either. I think it's actually a poor film. It's incoherent, poorly edited, and just not very satisfying to watch at all. The animation is fantastic, but that's just production values. You can spend a fortune making a turd, and it would still be a turd.

cajunator

Banned
Magi s2 -1

1gpjws.jpg

last time I watched magi, was like episode 6 or something when some old woman died.
now I start this episode woah, there are actual wizards and witches and everything in some big war, wtf.

2oikny.jpg

There are way too many characters and looks like there is going to be even more soon. The setting seems interesting enough, if it wasn't for me being ~20 episodes behind I might have watched it, can't be bothered with now.

OP seems ok, it's kinda the usual thing though, not much creativity in here. I like that ED is a series of flashback scenes to previous seasons and stuff I haven't seen mostly.
drunk KanaHana was lol.

There should be more of this

/XX/

By the way, I remember someone really liked the Stella C3-Bu OST cover art when the small version was posted before, so here's the full size (click for even bigger picture):
based on what little music I heard from it, that seems like a fitting cover
Even if you hated the series, give it an opportunity... it is that cool! Can't offer you anything more in here, but you can get your samples ready and listen them to your heart's content in here:

ポニーキャニオン - TVアニメ「ステラ女学院高等科C3部」オリジナルサウンドトラック:中川幸太郎
http://hp.ponycanyon.co.jp/pchp/cgi...DSP&DSP_SKHBNG=201300000858&DSP_SKHKETSEQ=001

By the way, those illustration sketches are made by the rising-star (incredibly fast one due to their circumstances) of the studio Manami Umeshita, and the overall sleeve design is by McRAY Corporation.

So Build Fighters is coming out on the 7th. Thoughts?
That SUNRISE Inc., are the true saviors of traditional mechanical animation.

Howl's Moving Castle is a bad movie. It's like Miyazaki's Hook. I guess every director has to have one at some point. :p
I also liked Hook... :-|

cajunator

Banned
It was all Miyazaki's doing. There's nothing "half finished" about the previous version. It was never made. Miyazaki didn't finish up someone else's work. Ghibli decided they were too good to work on something which was done differently from their normal movies, so they scrapped Hosoda's version. The film that Miyazaki made is written, directed, and storyboarded by Miyazaki. It contains no elements of the previous script, storyboards, or designs.

I don't think it's bad by Miyazaki's standards either. I think it's actually a poor film. It's incoherent, poorly edited, and just not very satisfying to watch at all. The animation is fantastic, but that's just production values. You can spend a fortune making a turd, and it would still be a turd.

Hmm. I always was under the impression the movie was partly completed and Miyazaki simply took over it. Well thats an interesting story then as to why it came out like it did. I will admit its my least favorite Miyazaki Ghibli film and one of the few I dont own on bluray yet (that is available)

Magi The Kingdom of Magic Episode 1
tumblr_mu8u80LY8u1qd0gyko1_500.gif

The opening moments was intense and all epic but so mysterious, like what was even happening. Otherwise ignoring the overly lewd moments was a nice return to Magi.
dont like the idea of them all splitting up again, as it always feels like Alibaba time is compromised, and if Aladdin is truly going to Magnostadt then I guess hope is lost for Alibaba and co

I need more Judar and the OP and ED are just not as good as s1s.

Pooya

Hook is not even the worst movie directed by Spielberg :S he has his name on garbage like Indy4, now that's truly a bad movie on every level.

Log Horizon 1

Man, when the Jouji Nakata catman appeared in the shadows in the final shot of the episode, it got me so hyped. The rest of the episode was fun too. I appreciated that it didn't get bogged down in exposition when setting up the world and premise - starting straight with an action scene, which the episode returned to towards the end to bring things full circle, helped a lot with that. While there was info to convey, it was done in a natural way with narration and some discussion scattered amongst light-hearted character interaction. While a bit of that interaction was eye-rolling (Naotsugu's pervert joke, mainly), most of it was enjoyable and the main trio work well together.

With all the inaccurate but understandable comparisons to Sword Art Online people make, I'll chime in by saying that this was much better directed and more exciting than the first episode of SAO. The action was well done, and there were a number of slick transitions.

One of my favorite transitions was when the party was walking into a monster-filled field, and the main character was telling the others that while most lower-level monsters would ignore them due to their high level, the monsters in this field would attack on sight. Immediately we move from the characters walking along to a beast's eye opening and gazing on them. This visually reinforces the information that was delivered verbally, and creates anticipation for the upcoming battle that we know is only a matter of time.

It remains to be seen how well the production will hold up - this is only the first episode after all - but so far I'm pleased. Will watch more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom