• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

...are you fucking kidding me? I don't even have any interest in the movies but I still bought them when they were around $12 each a few months ago, thinking "well, it's a really nice rare LE, probably won't drop more than this". Twelve dollars wasted for something I was never going to buy in the first place, and I haven't even watched either movie yet since they arrived, jesus christ. *hangs self*

That's it, I can't buy anything ever anymore, since it'll always immediately get cheaper the second after I've bought it.

Dude, it's like, two/three dollar savings. Set is worth way more than that.

SWORD ART ONLINE - 19

kayos , not everyone watch anime as soon as it get available .. no need to cry because some of us haven't posted impressions yet.

Anyway ..this episode was cooler than what i expected ( from the same part as the manga )

rwkJIl.jpg

Way to go !!
yep , illusion magic is unimpressive at level 1 but it's sure better when you have haxxor skills points and stats ..

on a visual level , the episode was indeed amazing but i think they respected both games in that aspect during the adaptation ..it's was especially cool to see that they reused the BGM from heathcliff fight in the clash between the 2 parties .. it somewhat fitted

Anyway the final speech by kirito at the end was the final push needed .. leafa has clearly fallen for her new compagnon , now .. everyone know what that means.. i can't wait for "that" to happen.

Impressive episode 9/10..

Would you rather :
1-
be eaten big a giant buff-like enemy ?
2-
jump into a water infested by carnivorous fish ?

or the good solution
3-
fall back or cancel your wall to be able to escape ?

Narag

...are you fucking kidding me? I don't even have any interest in the movies but I still bought them when they were around $12 each a few months ago, thinking "well, it's a really nice rare LE, probably won't drop more than this". Twelve dollars wasted for something I was never going to buy in the first place, and I haven't even watched either movie yet since they arrived, jesus christ. *hangs self*

That's it, I can't buy anything ever anymore, since it'll always immediately get cheaper the second after I've bought it.

Shouldn't force yourself onto a deal you're uninterested in, especially if you're going to suicide over it.

That's a serious discount right there! They really can't have sold any of those things when they came out considering how much stock they seem to have left.
I have to imagine you're right. Considering the 10,000 supposed production and going for that rate, they must have sold around 50 or something.

Don't do it, Articalys! I paid more for the standard editions I already own of 1 and 2 than I paid for these collector's editions. It's okay!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Why the fuck is there so few SAO posts? It's fucking SAOturday.

People are busy watching shows actually worth their time. :D

I'll watch it in a bit for #TeamImouto.

Going a bit overboard... aren't we?

Ultimadrago

Hello Anime GAF! Long time no post!

I already own both standard versions, but considering the huge amount of extras you get in the package, I double dipped on both.
Just wanted to share this price drop with anyone that is interested. I HIGHLY recommend both movies.

It has been a while, Typo. I thought you had forgotten all about this place.

Also, thanks for posting the deal. I picked both up.

His blood is on your hands!
It was inevitable, at this stage.
I've been gone so long from this thread that my return could only usher in despair.

edit:
It has been a while, Typo. I thought you had forgotten all about this place.

Also, thanks for posting the deal. I picked both up.
I could never forget anime GAF. I've just been super busy with grad school/projects. Just wish I had time to watch something with subtitles. I've only had time lately for playing things in the background while I work, and I don't want to try it with something requiring reading. : (

Been dying to watch Blue Gender, NOIR, G Gundam, and Last Exile.

Articalys

I'll admit that normally this sort of thing probably wouldn't bother me as much, but a ton of other stuff already went wrong this morning so this was kind of the tipping point.

Narag

Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou S3 1-2

Easily the worst of the two-part adevnture eps featuring the least developed mythology and characters that should have been one-offs and never seen again. It might be fine as a weaker story if this was the show's general focus but as it were, it's not and so this fails whereas it should have been one of the bookending highlights of a season.

History song was aight though.

I'll admit that normally this sort of thing probably wouldn't bother me as much, but a ton of other stuff already went wrong this morning so this was kind of the tipping point.
Yeah, those kinds of days are the worst. I understand.

If you ever have the time, you should definitely try watching the movies. The first is more focused on the setting, characters/team and getting to know them over the course of the story. The second movie is when it uses them in a really interesting way to tell an excellent and thought provoking story. Not to mention, they're both gorgeous (2 more so than 1).

Ultimadrago

Well, once you do watch them, don't be a stranger!
I'd like to read your impressions again.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I hope everything works out for you in the end, whatever the case is.

Narag

Can't wait to open that baby up and find nothing but surplus copies of Burst Angel and ROD TV.

Last time I ordered something like that it was a woot mystery pc game. I was hoping for something awful like a farming sim or something. Instead I got Daikatana. smh

Syrinx

For those in the US and like to take a gamble:

Cruncyroll is selling a Mysterious Box of Anime!

30 random DVDs for 14 dollars if a premium member and 20 dollars if not. 5 bucks shipping though. :/

Are they random DVDs of shows they have, or are they completely random?

I might seriously have to consider this if it's the latter. Especially for 15 bucks.

Tried to go anime shopping earlier, but was unsuccessful. Had to settle for blu-rays of Secret World of Arietty and No Country For Old Men, as well as DVDs for Season 1 of Adventure Time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I might seriously have to consider this if it's the latter. Especially for 15 bucks.

Tried to go anime shopping earlier, but was unsuccessful. Had to settle for blu-rays of Secret World of Arietty and No Country For Old Men, as well as DVDs for Season 1 of Adventure Time.

These things are never completely random. It's just going to be drawn from an assortment of whatever overstock / shit they are trying to get rid of items they have. You'll be lucky to find a few gems in that pile.

Syrinx

These things are never completely random. It's just going to be drawn from an assortment of whatever overstock / shit they are trying to get rid of items they have. You'll be lucky to find a few gems in that pile.

Yeah, I wager there would be some sort of catch. Still pretty tempting considering the price.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I'm so sorry.

Sword Art Online 19

She does not approve of this friendship.

So, nice to see all logic get tossed out and all sort of fun foreshadowing at the beginning of the episode get punted out a window just cause Kirito's Kirito. This whole quest thing is starting to wear thin considering it is going into sidequest time now.

cajunator

Banned

Ive been burned for way more than that.
Arent those cut back from like 90 bucks?

It was inevitable, at this stage.
I've been gone so long from this thread that my return could only usher in despair.

edit:

I could never forget anime GAF. I've just been super busy with grad school/projects. Just wish I had time to watch something with subtitles. I've only had time lately for playing things in the background while I work, and I don't want to try it with something requiring reading. : (

Watch these first.

Can't wait to open that baby up and find nothing but surplus copies of Burst Angel and ROD TV.

That would be nice actually.

Jex

Sword Art Online 19

So, nice to see all logic get tossed out and all sort of fun foreshadowing at the beginning of the episode get punted out a window just cause Kirito's Kirito. This whole quest thing is starting to wear thin considering it is going into sidequest time now.
Look, Kirito has absolutely no time to spare and he must rescue his beloved from the villains evil clutches. But you know, sometimes you have to step back from the main quest and stretch your legs a little!

Syrinx

I'm so sorry.

I wasn't too big on Arrietty myself but I think he could've done a lot worse. If nothing else it should look stunningly pretty. Dem backgrounds.

Nothin wrong with Arrietty. It was a fantastic movie. One of Ghibli's best.

I should point out that Barnes & Nobles's movie section is one giant, unorganized clusterfuck. At least the one I go to is. Aren't they releasing more Ghibli blu-rays later this year?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Look, Kirito has absolutely no time to spare and he must rescue his beloved from the villains evil clutches. But you know, sometimes you have to step back from the main quest and stretch your legs a little!

I love it when you come down to our level and just have fun.

So it is being a JRPG?

Oh look the meteor is coming down, but lets go treasure hunting in an ancient pyramid instead!

Syrinx

Damn I hate these episodes where the guy is about to ask the girl out or about to confess his love to her. don't know why. Maybe it's fear of wahjah.

Sword Art Online 19

This was easily the best episode of ALO, but that's not saying much at all, since it merely "improved" to a passable mediocrity, which, in this case, still wasn't able to dissolve the narrative flaws, as they were unmistakably evident and, at times, partially heightened. As such, there's barely any engaging, relevant developments here, which consequently induces a lack of consistency within the established tone, since the story is touching upon several disparate elements without a necessary cohesion.

The first half of this episode was surprisingly good, culminating with the highly enjoyable action sequence. The pacing, though better than in the last few episodes, was inconsistent, as the latter half of the episode was entirely devoid of enjoyable or interesting material; slipping, yet again, into a dreadfully slow repetition, filled with tedious exposition. At least Recon was unexpectedly useful. One of the most noticeable, unavoidable flaws is how little I care about Suguha and her emotional dillemmas, so any scene that directly relates to this aspect of the story is quite tiresome, which is unfortunate, since they unnecessarily comprise a significant portion of this arc.

The weakest aspect of this episode was the pointless focus on an uninteresting diversion from the main narrative, instead relegating the events throughout to occur as part of an unremarkable, inessential tangent, in which meaningful story and character development is essentially non-existent. This, in turn, causes an absence of any sort of tension or urgency, as though Kirito's attempts to rescue Asuna are comparatively unimportant. Of course, it certainly doesn't help that the latter half of the episode was a return to focusing on Kirito and Lyfa's poor, unenjoyable interactions and Suguha's unremittingly dull real-world scenes. Thankfully, though still boring, this disruptive descent into the real world, at the very least, wasn't centered around yet another reminder of how her love for Kirito is continuing to grow.

The most impressive element of this episode, by far, was the visuals, highlighted particularly by the exceptionally beautiful artistic backgrounds within the cave. The brief action sequence was superbly directed. Kajiura's music was, for the first time, consistently great throughout, as it excellently established and illuminated a compelling atmosphere in specific, integral moments, especially during Kirito's transformation and subsequent attack.

All in all, despite a decent episode, Sword Art Online continues to repetitively meander, due largely to this contrived excursion into a world and story that are deprived of significant tension and excitement. The execution of the narrative is consistently deteriorating, creating what is effectively a disjointed approach to storytelling, as the manner with which the characters and story are being handled is unsatisfying at best and woefully incompetent at worst. As such, the superbly consistent execution is disappointingly hindered by the lifeless characters and ultimately wasted on the contrived, terribly-written material. Although I'd like to think the middling quality of this episode will persist, it's inevitable that the show will soon return to the uneventful garbage that has plagued the majority of this arc.

cajunator

Banned
From the looks of it, ALO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SAO
much more interesting world design. But I guess anything beats SAO's blandness.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sukitte Ii na yo 06

I guess we're back to super shoujo hour with this episode with yet another person comes in and tries to ruin the relationship. Why is this school so attractive for people with the intent to break up a relationship between a pretty boy and a shoujo lead.

Wasn't really feeling this episode since I kept seeing the plot happening the moment the new character was introduced and hoping they wouldn't go that route.

Yeah, I was hoping that they'd manage to carry the bullying/self-image arcs, but those can only go so far in a shoujo. I'm glad we got the first four/five episodes that we got though - I still think it's the first time that I've seen an anime try to be serious about the real world without being *too* hokey about it.

Then again, with relationship dramas, what else can do you but rely on love-polygons? lol
Even Tonari can't escape that unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom