• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

I was discussing this kind of thing with duckroll earlier and I have to wonder if A-1 pictures pictures are stretching themselves too thin with the vast amount of projects that they're undertaking. I have to assume that their main focus at the moment is on Sword Art Online.

It's kinda nuts the amount of stuff A-1 are doing right now....

Airing

Fairy Tail
Space Brothers
Sword Art Online
Shinsekai yori
Magi
Idolmaster OVAs
Gyrozetter

Coming out soon

Ao no Exorcist Movie (Dec)
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru (Winter)
Vivid Red Operation (Winter)
OreImo 2 (Spring)
Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love 1000% 2 (I think this was confirmed for Spring)

Also they just released a Fairy Tail movie in August and are also working on an AnoHana movie (comp though)

Though if Sword Art Online is their main focus right now..... dat mediocre production values...

Who is the tan girl?

That's Sasha, the other girl is Laila.

Westlo

Magi - Episode 6

Best-girls finally show up in the anime! Maybe they boycotted the first episode because Yoshino was writing it.

magi111a.png

Also lol @ the second sentence.

fertygo

The CG was kinda shitty in the first episode but they really do utilize it to the fullest in the later episodes. It's easily the best use of CG I've seen in a TV series in recent memory.

Errr.. seriously?

Though if Sword Art Online is their main focus right now..... dat mediocre production values...
The recent episode's pretty good!

Articalys

Oh, here's the initial staff listing for Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko:

Director: Youhei Suzuki
Series Composition: Michiko Itou (Ookami-san & Her Seven Companions, RKB)
Character Designer: Haruko Iizuka (Inu x Boku, Tamayura, Little Busters)

trejo

Staying up to watch the best show of season is totally worth it in my book.

Oh, I think I finally understand what's going on here. I was rather befuddled for a while there but I managed to figure it out. It's pretty clear that with the long anticipated return of Glorious OreImo looming ever closer towards us it would seem that bizarroJexhius is slowly but surely taking over again. Really, if you think real hard about it, it's just about the only logical explanation for the utterly baffling Girls und Panzer and Code Breaker praise. It all makes sense now!

Still no comment on duckroll.

Jex

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 6

JoJosBizzareAdventure6.jpg

This might be my favourite episode of the series so far and that's saying something because pretty much every episode has been enjoyable. They clearly decided to slow down the pacing for this particular section of the story and that decision seems to have worked out well because all the characters motivations and choices were clearly fleshed out. There wasn't even any image-ruining censor shadows either!

This show is still clearly very cheap to produce and whenever they can avoid animating something, they will. Hair or clothes might blow in the wind and there's the occasional piece of movement but it's largely a series of amazing poses and 'speed line' backgrounds. One side effect of these obvious visual deficiencies is that it really got me to pay attention to the soundtrack. Throughout the course of the episode, but especially in the last few minutes, they really did a great job matching the musical score to the events that were unfolding on screen, in some cases following every change in mood that occurs throughout a scene. It really stood out in the lead up to the ED where they did the old trick of playing the start of the ED theme before the episode ended to neatly tie it all together. This isn't unusual in itself but they way it was handled here was especially good and rather than playing just a couple of notes they actually played a good 40 seconds of lead in, which is rather unusual. Just great stuff all round, especially in comparison to something like Magi which continues to disappoint from an aural standpoint.

fertygo

We need .gif for that Zeppeli sequence, its ended up as great stills but what more stand out to me is when he stop walking and raising his hand followed with that end-card, sogood.jpg

Westlo

My Little Monster 01

Enjoyable enough but did he really also have to be easily smarter than her to boot? Sigh shoujo being shoujo.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 03-04

"If I see her depressed I'll want to fuck her silly"..... lmao. Actually really enjoying this show, like the way the ED song is used at the end, cast is fun, I'm guessing that finishes off the first novel, wonder how the second one will hold up.

Shinsekai yori 01-02

Pretty intriguing so far, wasn't a fan of the character designs at first but they work. Wonder if the narration at the end of episode 2 was really necessary... oh well one way to find out.

Code:Breaker 01-02

Damn that dog was beaten up like a government mule!! /JR. Also lol @ the constant OGAMI!! and Evil is Evil.

Still gotta check out Moe Tank Girls, Reborn Pass, poor follow up to Steins;gate, blue tint, other shoujo show, Bones DTL and dat Jojo before deciding what to continue this season, all I know is that Busou Shinki is dropped, fuck that shit.

/XX/

Am I a horrible person for saying that film is more infuriating than sad? I mean, it's the kid's fault everything after
the horrible attacks on his town
went to shit. He could have just stuck it out, buried his pride and done what's best for him and his sister. Instead, he just ran from his problems and caused
both her and his own's deaths
See what I mean, transform into something new! And yes I agree.
Nah, that's pretty much exactly what Takahata was aiming for.
I feel the exact same way.
It wasnt a depressing film, it just pissed me off.
No one felt more sorry for him than anything else?
One thing is feeling you led a just life, and another is abandoning it only to be filled with regret, on those last moments.

All people do wrong and make mistakes, but leaving yourself knowing there is nothing else you can do to amend that must be one of the most excruciating realizations a person can reach.

It is easy to say (from an outside perspective) 'hey, swallow your pride!' to an adolescent that didn't know how to affront the changing world he was left in, since the beginning, but later he ended up paying for it more than anyone else.

qcf x2

How are Psycho Pass, K, Zetsuen no Tempest & Robotics;Notes holding up? I was looking forward to those series, and I watched the first couple episodes of PP and RN.

I've only kept up with JoJo's, Magi and bestshow, Chuunibyou so far, so I'm curious whether those shows have hit their stride (or if they don't have a stride to hit).

fertygo

No one felt more sorry for him than anything else?
One thing is feeling you led a just life, and another is abandoning it only to be filled with regret, on those last moments.

All people do wrong and make mistakes, but leaving yourself knowing there is nothing else you can do to amend that must be one of the most excruciating realizations a person can reach.

It is easy to say (from an outside perspective) 'hey, swallow your pride!' to an adolescent that didn't know how to affront the changing world he was left in, since the beginning, but later he ended up paying for it more than anyone else.

I more pissed off about
how late he bring her sister to doctor, and he actually still can draw money

Yeah, the movie just doesn't come across well to me despite how much I want to love it because its might be the most technical standout movie that I ever watched.

I don't get the message "War's cruel" but far more outweigh to "Stupid brother" after watching... I really dislike myself for that, but its just the case.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How are Psycho Pass, K, Zetsuen no Tempest & Robotics;Notes holding up? I was looking forward to those series, and I watched the first couple episodes of PP and RN.

I've only kept up with JoJo's, Magi and bestshow, Chuunibyou so far, so I'm curious whether those shows have hit their stride (or if they don't have a stride to hit).

Chuu2 is my favorite show this season. Blasty is great too.

Haven't watched any of the others other than Jojo which is honestly pretty terrible. It looks like shit and the 2 episodes I watched really doesn't have any of the charm that the old OVA had.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Psycho-Pass and Zetsuen are both pretty good. I haven't watched the other two yet.

fertygo

Haven't watched any of the others other than Jojo which is honestly pretty terrible. It looks like shit and the 2 episodes I watched really doesn't have any of the charm that the old OVA had.
Of course, the anime at this point cover the very first part of JoJo.. Its have very different feel than the part that OAV cover (part 3) back then its very apparent the author still kinda confused what he want to do with the series, its finally get it going on part 2 which JoJo have its own unique identity that last until now, that why the manga fan eagerly waiting for part 2 kick in 3-4 episode from now, Its also regarded as one of the best part among 7 finished part.. For comparison Phantom Blood (the first part) considered as the worst part for most fan. Its not weird to hate it.

Although the anime made me realize the material isn't that weak if can made people keep entertained even with low production value.

Maedhros

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 6

JoJosBizzareAdventure6.jpg

This might be my favourite episode of the series so far and that's saying something because pretty much every episode has been enjoyable. They clearly decided to slow down the pacing for this particular section of the story and that decision seems to have worked out well because all the characters motivations and choices were clearly fleshed out. There wasn't even any image-ruining censor shadows either!

This show is still clearly very cheap to produce and whenever they can avoid animating something, they will. Hair or clothes might blow in the wind and there's the occasional piece of movement but it's largely a series of amazing poses and 'speed line' backgrounds. One side effect of these obvious visual deficiencies is that it really got me to pay attention to the soundtrack. Throughout the course of the episode, but especially in the last few minutes, they really did a great job matching the musical score to the events that were unfolding on screen, in some cases following every change in mood that occurs throughout a scene. It really stood out in the lead up to the ED where they did the old trick of playing the start of the ED theme before the episode ended to neatly tie it all together. This isn't unusual in itself but they way it was handled here was especially good and rather than playing just a couple of notes they actually played a good 40 seconds of lead in, which is rather unusual. Just great stuff all round, especially in comparison to something like Magi which continues to disappoint from an aural standpoint.

Man, they played Tarkus on Tarcus's fight. How awesome is that?

Here's Tarkus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8bSr8RnU4

/XX/

I more pissed off about
how late he bring her sister to doctor, and he actually still can draw money

Yeah, the movie just doesn't come across well to me despite how much I want to love it because its might be the most technical standout movie that I ever watched.

I don't get the message "War's cruel" but far more outweigh to "Stupid brother" after watching... I really dislike myself for that, but its just the case.
Don't feel bad for that, I understand it. Many films aren't there to "like" them but to simply say something to the people watching them, be it unpleasant or not... and that depends on the person watching it, so some come out of it with something learned or felt and others with maybe anything completely different. I think there are many interpretations and things to take from it, and that is part of the magic! This leads me to following response I'll make:

Actually, that's exactly the interpretation its director Isao Takahata wanted you to have of the film. In fact, he was surprised to learn that people saw it as a tearjerker.
I have conflicting feelings about that notion (of course, what he says prevails over anything else I can express), because after all Mr. Takahata was true to the novel, and that included its original, in my opinion more liberating for the viewer, ending.
I've always felt that making Seita die at the end was some kind of redemption for the character compared to the person from the real story it was based on, so maybe this was left to soften the impression it would have made otherwise in the audience, and in the author as well.

Kazzy

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! - 6

Shinka is such a bitch! I will be impressed if I somehow end up liking her at this rate, because she just gets more and more loathsome as the show progresses. But I guess that's what makes the club interesting, with everyone bar Rikka and Dekomori being (somewhat) aloof about the whole thing.

Who knew that Isshiki was such a bro? Hair, it's an emotional thing! I wonder if his exile will mean he is a more permanent fixture in the club now? And I hope that we get to see more of his unintentional reverse harem coming together! Them providing him with moral support at the end did get a good laugh out of me.
I'll be curious to see if anything else comes of that love-letter, because they are already a couple of potential suspects red-herrings afoot!
And speaking of romance, this was a nice moment. Rikka can be endearing, when she isn't being a spaz!

More Touka, eh? Maybe.
Hopefully.

Syrinx

Darker Than Black Vol. 1 Ep. 4

Why o why do I so sporadically watch this amazing show? This was the best episode yet.

So, I understand the difference between a contractor and a moratorium, but I don't understand how Mai became a moratorium as a result of her father's research. I assume it had something to do with that seed. Was it that the seed prevented her from naturally learning to control her powers and so when it died all of her powers burst out or something? And then how did she become a contractor again?

Those scenes where Mai was burning people were intense and heartbreaking as hell. Especially when she lit her friend and her father ablaze. The scene between her and Tahara at the end brought a good deal of closure. I just wish she had a better future than as a contractor.

Jex

I know you guys were talking about ICE earlier and coincidentally I was reading a masters thesis that has a whole chapter dedicated to it. "THE QUEER CYBORG AND QUEER APOCALYPSE: CONTESTING AND REINVENTING MYTHS AND THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT".

I can't say I've read it as I haven't seen the show, but I think it's amusing that such a thing exists: http://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/2913?show=full

Ultimadrago

Chihayafuru 1-25 [END]

I am glad I came back around to watch this one. The character interactions, the rivals and games were, generally, a joy to watch. Heck, I didn't even despise episode 16 for being a recap episode due to the little shorts in-between.

Having watched quite a few game-related anime before this, I can say this show was a good mark on the genre. The main character, recruitment stories and side characters were handled pretty nicely. I was pleasantly surprised when that the story didn't take a complete drift to
Taichi vs. Arata (in regards to Chi's love)
. A part of me was preparing for the worst, but it never spread to a point of complete saturation. I say this thankfully.

A few matches had their cumbersome stretches, but this was a pleasant watch overall. How I ended up appreciating a show about slapping cards on the ground more than one on high-stakes baseball is beyond me. Well, not really. This show is simply better executed on all fronts.

And to think I almost completely missed out on this show before year's end...

Ultimadrago

I know you guys were talking about ICE earlier and coincidentally I was reading a masters thesis that has a whole chapter dedicated to it. "THE QUEER CYBORG AND QUEER APOCALYPSE: CONTESTING AND REINVENTING MYTHS AND THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT".

I can't say I've read it as I haven't seen the show, but I think it's amusing that such a thing exists: http://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/2913?show=full

It even gives shout-outs to Brother, Dear Brother and Strawberry Panic.

An SDBurton must-read if I've ever seen one.

jbug617

Banned
SAO 19

Okay episode and i want to see how they plan to intervene next week. Also why is Kirito flirting with Leafa when he is trying to save his wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom