• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallen Navy SEAL gets US Navy destroyer named after him

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/07/state/n123340D54.DTL

5ff2f3fb-3809-46c2-8f73-9f817da8e617.jpg

4a008dc8-91a6-4b4b-8ea7-2b47a03be715.jpg

(05-07) 12:33 PDT Bath, Maine (AP) -- The mother of a Navy SEAL killed in a firefight in Afghanistan christened a warship bearing her son's name on Saturday as the leader of the nation's special forces said those who died that day would be comforted to know that the al-Qaida leader who caused the war in Afghanistan was killed by the U.S. military.

Maureen Murphy, mother of Lt. Michael Murphy, said "Happy birthday, baby" during remarks from the podium minutes before smashing a bottle of Champagne against the bow of the Navy destroyer on what would've been her son's 35th birthday.

The Navy lieutenant and Medal of Honor recipient led a four-member SEAL team against overwhelming odds in a gun battle in eastern Afghanistan.

Killed along with Murphy on June 28, 2005, were two members of his team, as well as 16 rescuers — eight Navy SEALs and eight members of the Army's elite Night Stalkers — after their helicopter was shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade.

"If these brave men are watching today, they must be extremely proud of — and somewhat comforted by — the reports that the man who started the war in which they died was himself killed when their brothers — Navy SEALs and Army Night Stalkers — assaulted his compound," said Adm. Eric Olson, leader of the Special Operations Command and a former SEAL instructor.

Security was beefed up for Saturday's event, which followed less than a week after Osama bin Laden was shot to death in Pakistan.

Outside, about two dozen peace demonstrators held signs and banners, and made speeches, but there were no arrests, Bath police said.

Joining the 3,000 spectators at General Dynamics' Bath Iron Works were more than a dozen SEALs from Murphy's Hawaii-based unit, as well as family members of four of the fallen SEALs and a contingent of 22 firefighters from New York City.

Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., was leading a reconnaissance team looking for the commander of a group of insurgents known as the Mountain Tigers when he died.

The mission was compromised when goat herders encountered the SEALs and alerted the Taliban; within an hour the small team was facing 100 heavily armed Taliban.

Already shot and disregarding his own safety, Murphy left his protected position and went to a clearing — where he was exposed to a hail of Taliban gunfire — to get a clear signal to contact Bagram Airfield to relay the dire situation.

He dropped the satellite phone after being shot a second time but finished the call and even signed off, "Roger that, sir. Thank you."

Speakers including Adm. Gary Roughead, chief of naval operations, Maine's governor and members of Maine's congressional delegation praised the courage, determination and valor that Murphy exhibited in leading his team under the most difficult of circumstances on steep rocky terrain 6,000 miles from home.

"Michael was the leader of a small team, operating against our most vicious enemies, in the most forbidding terrain on earth, the high mountains of eastern Afghanistan, the legendary Hindu Kush. And a place from which a true warrior feels at home, and a place from which a heroic warrior's released soul finds a shorter flight to the heavens," Olson said.

Before the ceremony ended, Murphy's mother asked for a moment of silence before reading the names of all 19 service members who died in the firefight and rescue attempt before christening the ship.

After it is completed and delivered to the Navy, the $1.1 billion warship will be homeported in Hawaii, where Murphy was a part SEAL Delivery Team 1. The Murphy is the 62nd of the Arleigh Burke-class of destroyers.
While I would much prefer the Navy reusing traditional ship names, if we must name them after people let's do something like this instead of constantly naming them after politicians. The next major carrier better be commissioned Enterprise since the current one's due for retirement soon. It has the most storied history of pretty much any US Navy vessel.

antonz

Agree with you 100% on Naming Policies. Politicians I can give leeway too who were actually soldiers and such and had accomplished Military backgrounds.

The Enterprise though is a name that they need to not fool around with though. CV-6 was an amazing Vessel and more than earned the Name a continued level of importance

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I read the book "Lone Survivor" written by Marcus Luttrell, who was the surviving member of that mission. Very intense, but ultimately it's also very sad when you're reading and then suddenly remember that these were real guys with real families. Incredibly tough dudes.

spiderman123 said:
wait, the article didn't specify but was it just these 6 against the 100 Taliban
Killed along with Murphy on June 28, 2005, were two members of his team, as well as 16 rescuers — eight Navy SEALs and eight members of the Army's elite Night Stalkers — after their helicopter was shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade.

soundscream said:

I meant the initial mission ( before the fight and rescue) but... Wow man, I have no words to describe something like that.

edit: the night stalkers and other seals were part of the rescue team

He dropped the satellite phone after being shot a second time but finished the call and even signed off, "Roger that, sir. Thank you."

According to this, after the call he returned to his position and carried on fighting until he died from his wounds.

entremet

*Salutes.

Epic Beards are epic. Makes me want to grow mine out.

Obviously, shaving is the last thing on their minds while on their missions.

bengraven

Jesus Christ, Marcus Luttrell looks like a real-life Dudebro, no wonder he survived.

Also, I second that these are incredibly amazing men.

antonz

I would imagine facial hair is helpful for fitting into particular regions of the world when it comes to being in disguise. That and they can be out in the field for extended periods of time so limited options

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
antonz said:
The Enterprise though is a name that they need to not fool around with though. CV-6 was an amazing Vessel and more than earned the Name a continued level of importance
Hell, CVN-65 has plenty of history as well. First nuclear carrier, saw major action in every major engagement from the Cuban Missile Crisis on, currently the oldest and longest tenured vessel in commission (not counting the Constitution), etc.

NomarTyme

Teh Hamburglar said:
Special ops baby. Plus some military are allowed so they can blend more easily with the native population.
Yep, I was watching the green beret special on NATGEO last night.

My dad was able to grow one in the Gulf War and guys in his unit had a pool going on whos wife would let them keep it the longest once they got furloughed over Christmas. Mine didn't win. haha

I keep visualizing that scene from Medal of Honor wherethe helicopter gets shot down and that mission where you have to survive the fight on the hill.

edit: Meant to say MOH

What was that film where Special Ops were spotted by a child goat herder and they were deciding whether to shoot him or not so he doesn't reveal their position and jeopardise the entire mission? Was it the Bruce Willis one? What would you do in that situation considering the mission was to save civilian lives (e.g. hostages)?

Meus Renaissance said:
What was that film where Special Ops were spotted by a child goat herder and they were deciding whether to shoot him or not so he doesn't reveal their position and jeopardise the entire mission? Was it the Bruce Willis one? What would you do in that situation considering the mission was to save civilian lives (e.g. hostages)?

GAF's bleeding hearts are going to have fun with this one. And be prepared for it to be linked back as referenced in future (and most likely unrelated) threads.

Jack Scofield said:
Fucking disgusting. Remind me again why we're trying to help these people?
The only survivor of Murphy's team was taken in by an Afghan village. They carried him to their village, fed him, treated him, protected him from the Taliban demanding they turn him over and summoned help from a Marine outpost so he could eventually be extracted.

Meus Renaissance said:

Detain the kid until the mission was over.

Meus Renaissance said:
No, you're thinking of Blackhawk Down.

A must for any Blu-ray collection, btw. Reference-grade visuals.

Meus Renaissance said:

I don't remember that in Tears of the Sun ( if that's the one your talking about).

spiderman123 said:
I don't remember that in Tears of the Sun ( if that's the one your talking about).

Shit, sorry it wasn't a film but something that actually happened in the first Gulf War involving the SAS. They got spotted by a kid. I don't think they talked about the idea of shooting him but I remember hearing it in another film where a similar situation occurred. For some reason I just remember Bruce Willis in Spec Ops films :p

Dreams-Visions said:
No, you're thinking of Blackhawk Down.

A must for any Blu-ray collection, btw. Reference-grade visuals.

I don't remember a scene like that. The only scene close to it was when the soldier slipped as he was coming out of a door and a kid shot his father instead

Wazzim

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
Fucking disgusting. Remind me again why we're trying to help these people?
"Oh hey that are those foreign white guys who are bombing our homes! How is it going folks? Want something to drink?"

Ofcourse they're going to tip the Taliban.

Igo

Good on these guys. They died because of their choice that night, but at least they died with honor.

Why didn't didn't pull out after that decision slightly baffles me though, especially after the widely publicized events of Bravo Two Zero.

Meus Renaissance said:
Shit, sorry it wasn't a film but something that actually happened in the first Gulf War involving the SAS. They got spotted by a kid. I don't think they talked about the idea of shooting him but I remember hearing it in another film where a similar situation occurred. For some reason I just remember Bruce Willis in Spec Ops films
Probably Bravo Two Zero

Meus Renaissance said:
Shit, sorry it wasn't a film but something that actually happened in the first Gulf War involving the SAS. They got spotted by a kid. I don't think they talked about the idea of shooting him but I remember hearing it in another film where a similar situation occurred. For some reason I just remember Bruce Willis in Spec Ops films :p

I don't remember a scene like that. The only scene close to it was when the soldier slipped as he was coming out of a door and a kid shot his father instead

He was so wrong you quoted him twice.

Your edit I see it...

sangreal

Meus Renaissance said:

That was the Hurt Locker or at least there was a similar scene in that. Also that Brad Pitt movie (Babel?)

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
DeathIsTheEnd said:
The only survivor of Murphy's team was taken in by an Afghan village. They carried him to their village, fed him, treated him, protected him from the Taliban demanding they turn him over and summoned help from a Marine outpost so he could eventually be extracted.
Nanawatai, I presume?

Meus Renaissance said:
You probably haven't seen it for awhile then.

When the military leadership gets "the signal" from their guy letting them know where the big meeting is taken place (car marked that they could see from a satellite, I think), all the soldiers move to their helicopters. There's a big, dramatic scene where all of the helicopters take off. They then show them all moving in a great mass towards Mogadishu. As they fly along the beach, a child sees them flying overhead and picks up a radio/mobile phone and makes a phone call. The phone is passed off of a roof and down to some badass dude who is laying down. He sits up and hears the sound of helicopters. From there, we see rebels arming themselves and preparing for confrontation. Ironically, I think one of the soldiers waved to that child.

If it still doesn't ring any bells...just watch it again. It's worth seeing once more.

Wow, I actually never heard that a large group of allies got killed in a full on gunfight.

Was the latest Medal of Honor game based on this? Sounds eerily familiar.

Dreams-Visions said:
You probably haven't seen it for awhile then.

When the military leadership gets "the signal" from their guy letting them know where the big meeting is taken place (car marked that they could see from a satellite, I think), all the soldiers move to their helicopters. There's a big, dramatic scene where all of the helicopters take off. They then show them all moving in a great mass towards Mogadishu. As they fly along the beach, a child sees them flying overhead and picks up a radio/mobile phone and makes a phone call. The phone is passed off of a roof and down to some badass dude who is laying down. He sits up and hears the sound of helicopters. From there, we see rebels arming themselves and preparing for confrontation. Ironically, I think one of the soldiers waved to that child.

If it still doesn't ring any bells...just watch it again. It's worth seeing once more.

Oh, I remember that scene yes, but it's not exactly the same because the Rangers and Army were driving through an open public road. Their presence was known, they had a base at the airport. Plus, they couldn't have known the kid was using the radio to tip them off, but they fully expected shit to hit the fan eventually so they were prepared for it. Kinda different to a stealth mission and the kid sees you and runs off *which was what I was getting at*

antonz

PjotrStroganov said:
Wow, I actually never heard that a large group of allies got killed in a full on gunfight.

Was the latest Medal of Honor game based on this? Sounds eerily familiar.
Medal Of Honor was certainly advised by guys like this team but the actual event no. The Ambush scene though plays out very similar I imagine to this event though without the happy ending the game had.

Meus Renaissance said:

I don't know it from a movie, but German KSK had that situation in Afghanistan. It was all in the press, because they decided not to shoot the goat herder, but to abort the mission. Which caused criticism from US-forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom