• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallen Navy SEAL gets US Navy destroyer named after him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meus Renaissance said:
Oh, I remember that scene yes, but it's not exactly the same because the Rangers and Army were driving through an open public road. Their presence was known, they had a base at the airport. Plus, they couldn't have known the kid was using the radio to tip them off, but they fully expected shit to hit the fan eventually so they were prepared for it. Kinda different to a stealth mission and the kid sees you and runs off *which was what I was getting at*
word word.

Dreams-Visions said:
You probably haven't seen it for awhile then.

When the military leadership gets "the signal" from their guy letting them know where the big meeting is taken place (car marked that they could see from a satellite, I think), all the soldiers move to their helicopters. There's a big, dramatic scene where all of the helicopters take off. They then show them all moving in a great mass towards Mogadishu. As they fly along the beach, a child sees them flying overhead and picks up a radio/mobile phone and makes a phone call. The phone is passed off of a roof and down to some badass dude who is laying down. He sits up and hears the sound of helicopters. From there, we see rebels arming themselves and preparing for confrontation. Ironically, I think one of the soldiers waved to that child.

If it still doesn't ring any bells...just watch it again. It's worth seeing once more.
Yeah but they never pointed a gun at him or discussed weather to kill him and I dont think he was herding goats.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
antonz said:
Medal Of Honor was certainly advised by guys like this team but the actual event no. The Ambush scene though plays out very similar I imagine to this event though without the happy ending the game had.
Doesn't
your character die at the end of MoH? Not that happy an ending, lol.

Jesus

12 Navy SEALs
8 Night Stalkers
additional helicopter crews \
2 MH-47 Chinook
2 UH-60 Black Hawk
2 AH-64D Apache

vs

150 Insurgents

CHEEZMO™ said:
Doesn't
your character die at the end of MoH? Not that happy an ending, lol.

Yes, he does. Honestly, I know that game takes a lot of flack as a Call of Duty clone but I genuinely thought that scene was absolutely wonderful. It was one of the few times in a CoD-derivative game that I ever truly got emotional.

ot: this is a great thing and I'm glad this soldier and his bravery is getting the recognition he deserves.

Noshino

Patrick Bateman said:
But wear caps and Oakley sunglasess. :/

pr43265,1282239118,herold_us_special_forces1.jpg

herold_us_special_forces2.jpg

the look of these guys is the least of their worries.

spiderman123 said:
Jesus

12 Navy SEALs
8 Night Stalkers
additional helicopter crews \
2 MH-47 Chinook
2 UH-60 Black Hawk
2 AH-64D Apache

vs

150 Insurgents

What about the Battle of Mogadishu?

160 military
19 aircraft
12 vehicles (nine Humvees)

vs.

2,000-4,000 militia and civilian fighters

Note: I don't want to lower any achievements or work done, just adding these numbers.

numble

On his decision to not kill the goat herders:

"It was the stupidest, most southern-fried, lame brained decision I ever made in my life. I must have been out of my mind. I had actually cast a vote which I knew could sign our death warrant. I’d turned into a f--ing liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jackrabbit."

what a fuckin legend. glad the guy is getting his recognition.

i think we had a thread about this luttrell dude a while ago on GAF as i remember his face from somewhere. maybe that was for his book? *shrug*

spiderman123 said:
I keep visualizing that scene from Medal of Honor wherethe helicopter gets shot down and that mission where you have to survive the fight on the hill.

edit: Meant to say MOH

same thing i thought of. aside from some of the glitches, i thought MoH was a fantastic game.

numble said:

"It was the stupidest, most southern-fried, lame brained decision I ever made in my life. I must have been out of my mind. I had actually cast a vote which I knew could sign our death warrant. I’d turned into a f--ing liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jackrabbit."

While it's incredibly tragic that the decision even had to be made... would most of us not have made the same decision?
I dunno... Even after years of training and conditioning, killing unarmed civilians just wouldn't sit right with me, regardless of the outcome. Though, I would at least try to stop them through non-lethal force.

AceBandage said:
While it's incredibly tragic that the decision even had to be made... would most of us not have made the same decision?
I dunno... Even after years of training and conditioning, killing unarmed civilians just wouldn't sit right with me, regardless of the outcome. Though, I would at least try to stop them through non-lethal force.
I probably would have voted to restrain them right where they were and assumed someone would find them and release them at some point later. Perhaps this wasn't an option, though.

I like how he likened it to a "liberal" decision. :-/

Dreams-Visions said:
I like how he likened it to a "liberal" decision. :-/

He's right, it sounds like a liberal decision. And I'm a liberal, but we all know there would be a democrat complaining about civilian murders or something.

If the guy could be restrained somehow, that would be my first option. If not, there would be no other option than to kill him.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
CHEEZMO™ said:
DeathIsTheEnd said:
The only survivor of Murphy's team was taken in by an Afghan village. They carried him to their village, fed him, treated him, protected him from the Taliban demanding they turn him over and summoned help from a Marine outpost so he could eventually be extracted.
Nanawatai, I presume?
Actually, I'd like a little clarification on this, if anyone can help.

Would/could he have invoked Nanawatai, or was he just sheltered by friendly Afghans?

Are SEALs etc. operating in the region briefed on Pashtunwali?

Do regular, modern-day Afghans even adhere to Pashtunwali?

Patrick Bateman said:
What about the Battle of Mogadishu?s

Note: I don't want to lower any achievements or work done, just adding these numbers.

No, I understand what your trying to do and say but I've always, I dare say been "impressed" by such situations/ battles. A sort of 300 Spartans vs 1 million scenario keeps popping into my mind. These type of situations are deeply inspiring (IMO).

spiderman123 said:
No, I understand what your trying to do and say but I've always, I dare say been "impressed" by such situations/ battles. A sort of 300 spartans vs 1 million scenario keeps popping into my mind.
indeed, superior strategy trumps superior numbers (for the most part).

a176

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
Guys. im trying to get my dog ready to be a Navy Seal. Do you think he has what it takes?

RDvCy.jpg

It must be nice to know this dudebro sacrificed his life, taking on unsurmountable and unimaginable odds, and even has a warship named after him

... when a highlight of your life is probably that post

numble said:

It was the right decision (although I say that from a keyboard).

PhoenixDark said:
He's right, it sounds like a liberal decision. And I'm a liberal, but we all know there would be a democrat complaining about civilian murders or something.

If the guy could be restrained somehow, that would be my first option. If not, there would be no other option than to kill him.

There is no political context in decisions like this. It's simply a question of ethics. There are very few things ethical about warfare but at the same time refusing to shoot the kid does not automatically equate to having your team killed assuming you can get away to safety in time. The "liberal" media, in contrast to some of the pro-war media outlets, tend to be more vocal in their criticisms of the war and so would question the choice (if they had killed the kid) and try to provoke a debate on it rather than just report on it.

numble

Meus Renaissance said:
I agree. Once the "right decision" becomes "kill or detain all civilians that are in your path," we need to question overall purpose or strategy.

Meus Renaissance said:

Yeah, it's easy for any of us to say the decision was good/bad from our comfy chairs.
Regardless, it was his and his team's call, and I would not find any fault in it either way.

Meus Renaissance said:
There is no political context in decisions like this. It's simply a question of ethics. There are very few things ethical about warfare but at the same time refusing to shoot the kid does not automatically equate to having your team killed assuming you can get away to safety in time. The "liberal" media, in contrast to some of the pro-war media outlets, tend to be more vocal in their criticisms of the war and so would question the choice (if they had killed the kid) and try to provoke a debate on it rather than just report on it.

Liberal isn't being used strictly in a political way here. Multiple studies have shown liberal and conservative brains are different in terms of reasoning, fear, etc. I certainly believe a more conservative person would have less of a problem doing what needed to be done in this type of situation.

a176 said:
It must be nice to know this dudebro sacrificed his life, taking on unsurmountable and unimaginable odds, and even has a warship named after him

... when a highlight of your life is probably that post

Oh for fucks sake.

antonz

I think its a hard decision that looking back makes it easier for him to say yeah it was stupid. Letting them go cost upwards of 100 people their lives.

The one seal was right when he said Militarily there was no doubt they had to be killed but it became an issue of morals.

Dreams-Visions said:
Either way, I hope the man doesn't blame himself for his team dying. He made the objectively right call.

Judging from the quote I think he does but then again I have ABSOLUTELY NO clue on how he's feeling and I shouldn't assume.

AceBandage said:
Yeah, it's easy for any of us to say the decision was good/bad from our comfy chairs.
Regardless, it was his and his team's call, and I would not find any fault in it either way.

My ex once asked me one of 'those' questions where if in a hypothetical scenario I had to choose between her life and the life of a child; which would I choose?

Meus Renaissance said:
My ex once asked me one of 'those' questions where if in a hypothetical scenario I had to choose between her life and the life of a child; which would I choose?

Correct answer: You look beautiful tonight.

There's literally no way to win on that one.

antonz

AceBandage said:
Correct answer: You look beautiful tonight.

There's literally no way to win on that one.
Safer one to make sure you truly deflect that bullet is did you put on some weight honey?

Wazzim said:
"Oh hey that are those foreign white guys who are bombing our homes! How is it going folks? Want something to drink?"

Of course they're going to tip the guys who would specifically hunt them down and murder them in front of their fellow villagers as a warning if they did the opposite befitting the various shades of gray morality in this deeply complex situation.

Fixed.

Meus Renaissance said:
Reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOCYcgOnWUM

His comments remained with me for years since I saw this film. Particularly since he was personally involved in the most extreme of moral dilemmas the world has ever faced. There is no good answer...and yet a choice must be made.

I recommend all see it who have yet to.

Cerberus

Dreams-Visions said:
i see. the Wiki says,

"It is estimated that the SEAL Team killed 40-80 Taliban Combatants during the fight."

so I guess somewhere between 40-100?

35 insurgents according to the Navy's Medal of Honor site. It's almost hard to believe 4 guys could take out 100 Taliban fighters.

http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/bio.html

On the ground and nearly out of ammunition, the four SEALs, continued to fight. By the end of a two-hour gunfight that careened through the hills and over cliffs, Murphy, Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class (SEAL) Danny Dietz and Sonar Technician 2nd Class (SEAL) Matthew Axelson had fallen. An estimated 35 Taliban were also dead. The fourth SEAL, Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SEAL) Marcus Luttrell, was blasted over a ridge by a rocket-propelled grenade and knocked unconscious. Though severely wounded, the fourth SEAL and sole survivor, Luttrell, was able to evade the enemy for nearly a day; after which local nationals came to his aide, carrying him to a nearby village where they kept him for three more days. Luttrell was rescued by U.S. Forces on July 2, 2005.

Dreams-Visions said:

His comments remained with me for years since I saw this film. Particularly since he was personally involved in the most extreme of moral dilemmas the world has ever faced. There is no good answer...and yet a choice must be made.

LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." Sounds like a good title for a thread one day. Will research more into it. Any recommended books?

Meus Renaissance said:

I'd be questioning that decision for the rest of my life. though I would have let him go. but if I ever saw him again after the attack, I don't think I could hold back my anger

Gorgon

Jack Scofield said:
Fucking disgusting. Remind me again why we're trying to help these people?

Because those people are caught in a crossfire. Help the Western Forces and the Taliban get revenge on them, help the Taliban and they're killed/taken to prison/whatever by the West.

It has always been like that in War. At least the Seals were there because they wanted, these people on the other hand have to make a living in the middle of all the shit going on. It would be nice if things were as simple as you seem to assume.

goomba said:
They still "christen" ships ? Crusade much ?

Uh? Huh?
Christening a ship is more for superstition and tradition than anything these days. I believe they also christen most major airplane models, too.

AceBandage said:
Uh? Huh?
Christening a ship is more for superstition and tradition than anything these days. I believe they also christen most major airplane models, too.

Not to mention the military is all about tradition. Forming bonds and connections through time to improve morale.

Meus Renaissance said:
LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." Sounds like a good title for a thread one day. Will research more into it. Any recommended books?
The documentary was very heavy to me. I recommend it as one of my favorite documentaries every because of those kinds of moral dilemmas and knowing you're looking in the eyes of a man who had to choose between rocks and hard places. The lessons he had were timeless and worth the time of every man.

The Fog of War

fogofwarmovieposter2003.jpg

put it in your netfix instant queue, gentlemen.

WinFonda

reading Luttrell's wikipedia...

Labrador puppy shot at his home

As part of Luttrell's recuperation he was given a puppy. He named the dog DASY. Each letter of the name "DASY" represents one of the members of his team—Danny Dietz, Matthew "Axe" Axelson, Southern boy (Marcus), and Michael "Yankee" Murphy. She was given to him in recovery to help him through rehabilitation.[13]

On April 1, 2009, four males approached Luttrell's property and killed his yellow Labrador puppy, Dasy, with a .357 Magnum revolver at approximately 1 A.M.[13] [14] Luttrell proceeded to chase the individuals through four counties in his truck armed with two 9 mm Berettas—until Onalaska Police apprehended the individuals.[15] Upon arrest, the suspects verbally threatened Luttrell's life and taunted him.[14] Alfonso Hernandez was arrested on-scene for driving without a valid drivers license and later charged with animal cruelty.[16] Michael Edmonds turned himself in on April 7, was booked, and posted bond on the same charge. The other two individuals were not indicted. The males are also suspects in the killings of other neighborhood dogs.[13] As of July 2010 Hernandez and Edmonds have not had a court date set and are still pending trial and/or a court decision for final disposition of these charges.

what the fuuuuckkkk. so fucking sick.

Dreams-Visions said:

One of my favorite documentaries. It is very rare that we get such an in-depth look at a person who had so much power and had to make many decisions which would cost hundreds of thousands their lives.

The insurgents set up a "well organized, three-sided attack", which forced the SEALs to begin running down the slope.[2][11] After 45 minutes of fighting, Murphy moved into the open, after noting the team's radio transmitters weren't functioning properly in the mountains, and placed the emergency call for support from his cell phone. He was shot in the abdomen during the conversation.[2][10] Nevertheless he returned to his cover after the call and continued to battle. It is estimated that the SEAL Team killed 40-80 Taliban Combatants during the fight.
The sheer will power and courage that it took for him to do this just baffles me. RIP to all those who perished in that battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom