• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol4: Lonesome Road |OT| Now sponsored by the Gun Runners

Wallach

No word about shotguns, man. 5 DLCs with new loot and not one new shotgun? Seems weird that they added all these shotgun ammo types and no new shotguns to use them with.

duckroll

Wallach said:
No word about shotguns, man. 5 DLCs with new loot and not one new shotgun? Seems weird that they added all these shotgun ammo types and no new shotguns to use them with.

You should ask Sawyer on his Formspring account why he is racist against shotguns.

duckroll

I hear the new Ballistic Fist plants a mine on the enemy if you score a critical hit. Lolololol. Two-step Goodbye indeed. Sawyer you son of a bitch. :D

Anyone grab the GRA DLC yet? I am curious about the new missions and such. I am guessing you will have to complete these challenges in order to get some of the new guns? And are they quests or just challenges like "do x damage" or "kill x things?"

Wallach

Shortt Sirket said:
Anyone grab the GRA DLC yet? I am curious about the new missions and such. I am guessing you will have to complete these challenges in order to get some of the new guns? And are they quests or just challenges like "do x damage" or "kill x things?"

The challenges show up in your Pip-Boy and I don't think they're tied to weapons. The weapons are scattered around at various vendors.

I don't know if you'll be able to do all of the challenges on one character (especially based on one challenge in particular that I saw), and the further you are in the game the less likely you'll be able to complete all of them.

Wallach said:
The challenges show up in your Pip-Boy and I don't think they're tied to weapons. The weapons are scattered around at various vendors.

I don't know if you'll be able to do all of the challenges on one character (especially based on one challenge in particular that I saw), and the further you are in the game the less likely you'll be able to complete all of them.

Blargh. But I have been looking for a good reason to start a new character anyway, so its not too big of a deal.

Leckan

Hit the deck or Heave Ho! for explosive chars. Only one can be chosen and I already have Splash damage.

What do you think?

LOL Was worried about the Gun Runner stuff being unbalancing for my level 5 character

The cool unarmed weapon I wanted cost

Wallach said:

I just downloaded the Gun Runners DLC, and I don't see the challenges in my Pip Boy anywhere. Where do I find them?

Wallach

rainking187 said:
I just downloaded the Gun Runners DLC, and I don't see the challenges in my Pip Boy anywhere. Where do I find them?

Make sure you got the pop-up in game that indicates GRA is actually loaded like duckroll mentioned, but otherwise they should be where all the normal challenges are - I think in the Data -> Misc section (on PC I think you need to hit R on that Pip-Boy screen to flip it to challenges from there).

Leckan said:
Hit the deck or Heave Ho! for explosive chars. Only one can be chosen and I already have Splash damage.

What do you think?

I think hit the deck is a great perk, especially on hardcore where limb damage is annoying. It protects against your own explosives eg mines, and enemies with grenades/dynamite or grenade rifles. Also protects against mine/trap explosives so you have a bit of protection if you are careless and means you dont have to waste a perk on light step (if you have good armor/DT also).

Its not a min-max perk, but personally I love it as "in character" I hate having crippled limbs.

I haven't been able to download GRA yet and I have a few questions. Since several of the challenges require you to kill certain people or creatures, do any areas get repopulated or if I have already cleared certain areas do I have to revert to an old save? I understand that if I have killed House or Caesar already that wont be reversed but I mean more generally. Do challenges stack or do they have to be done with one character? Answers to these will help me decide which of my saves (or a new one) I will use. Thanks.

Also, I wish this DLC had come out during the long gap between Dead Money and Honest Hearts, would have given us all a lot to do while we waited.

duckroll

JimWood27 said:
I haven't been able to download GRA yet and I have a few questions. Since several of the challenges require you to kill certain people or creatures, do any areas get repopulated or if I have already cleared certain areas do I have to revert to an old save? I understand that if I have killed House or Caesar already that wont be reversed but I mean more generally. Do challenges stack or do they have to be done with one character? Answers to these will help me decide which of my saves (or a new one) I will use. Thanks.

Also, I wish this DLC had come out during the long gap between Dead Money and Honest Hearts, would have given us all a lot to do while we waited.

GRA doesn't change anything with regards to spawns in the main game. If enemies originally repopulate in that area, they will continue to do so. If they don't, then the DLC doesn't change that. I don't think the Challanges are meant to be completed with a single character. Just like the Challenges in the normal game, they're just optional stuff you can try to do with different character builds. The actual achievements tied to the Challenges in the DLC only require you to complete 3 of each tier of Challenges. Those probably require a single character for each achievement to unlock, so you would just pick 3 Challenges of a tier which you can accomplish with your character build, and do them to unlock the achievement.

duckroll said:
GRA doesn't change anything with regards to spawns in the main game. If enemies originally repopulate in that area, they will continue to do so. If they don't, then the DLC doesn't change that. I don't think the Challanges are meant to be completed with a single character. Just like the Challenges in the normal game, they're just optional stuff you can try to do with different character builds. The actual achievements tied to the Challenges in the DLC only require you to complete 3 of each tier of Challenges. Those probably require a single character for each achievement to unlock, so you would just pick 3 Challenges of a tier which you can accomplish with your character build, and do them to unlock the achievement.
Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

Plasmid

I wish the max cap was around 60, not for a maxed character, but because after finishing LR i was already level 50 :(.

My characters are all Logan's Loophole characters these days, being capped at level 30 made Lonesome Road extremely tough which was awesome.

Also, if you feel like being cheap you can
take Logan's Loophole so that you get to enjoy the bonuses to chems, then respec in the Sink when you get to level 30. Because you get the Big-MT perks then, the chem resistance isn't that useful after that anyway.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
My characters are all Logan's Loophole characters these days, being capped at level 30 made Lonesome Road extremely tough which was awesome.

Also, if you feel like being cheap you can
take Logan's Loophole so that you get to enjoy the bonuses to chems, then respec in the Sink when you get to level 30. Because you get the Big-MT perks then, the chem resistance isn't that useful after that anyway.

Part of the reason I want to start a new character now is to take that trait. I don't really think it'd make the game harder since there's nothing in the game that will auto-scale beyond level 30 and you'd be able to chem up like crazy without repercussion, but I like the perk restriction since going from 30 -> 50 feels like it added too many.

Sotha Sil

jim-jam bongs said:

I think the game is relatively challenging in Hardcore mode + Hard difficulty with my melee/light armor char, but my new character might start with this perk. Any perk past lvl 30 feel like overkill, honestly.

Lothars

My one complaint about the Gun Runners pack is that I wish at least some of the items would be found randomly in the world instead of having to buy all of them.

Wallach said:
Part of the reason I want to start a new character now is to take that trait. I don't really think it'd make the game harder since there's nothing in the game that will auto-scale beyond level 30 and you'd be able to chem up like crazy without repercussion, but I like the perk restriction since going from 30 -> 50 feels like it added too many.

It's a great way to build a character because it requires you to make some sacrifices. You'd be surprised about the difficulty though, my main character before Old World Blues came out had maxed guns, energy weapons and explosives. Having all of those options be not just viable but extremely effective makes things a lot easier than my current character with LL who is basically useless with anything which doesn't spit laser or plasma.

The chem resistance definitely helps though. Some of the more difficult parts of LR would have been nearly impossible without being hepped up on the cocktail that killed River Phoenix.

Sotha Sil

Lothars said:
My one complaint about the Gun Runners pack is that I wish at least some of the items would be found randomly in the world instead of having to buy all of them.

Yep. Hiding a few in a cazador/deathclaw area would have the same effect, and would be a lot more interesting.

Lothars

Sotha Sil said:
Yep. Hiding a few in a cazador/deathclaw area would have the same effect, and would be a lot more interesting.
Absolutely, I really like the idea of the pack and glad they released it but It would be a cool treat to have some hidden in the world.

duckroll

Lothars said:

Yeah, the initial announcement made it sound like they would be placed on loot tables around the Mojave as well, or hidden in some locations. Oh well.

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:

You know, I think one slightly dick move on Avellone's part is that in OWB he introduced the idea of capping your level at 30 with a trait, without warning anyone that in LR he would be adding special perks for lvl50 characters.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
It's a great way to build a character because it requires you to make some sacrifices. You'd be surprised about the difficulty though, my main character before Old World Blues came out had maxed guns, energy weapons and explosives. Having all of those options be not just viable but extremely effective makes things a lot easier than my current character with LL who is basically useless with anything which doesn't spit laser or plasma.

The chem resistance definitely helps though. Some of the more difficult parts of LR would have been nearly impossible without being hepped up on the cocktail that killed River Phoenix.

I have only ever built characters around the lvl 30 cap because I stopped playing when the DLC started to come out so I could wait for it all to be released. I think I will still start over though so I can play with the trait from the beginning (as well as have all of the new perks and weapons from GRA there from the start). Just trying to decide which way I want to go first; I kinda want to do my science/speech/EW type build but I am waffling about putting Meltdown in there again. I wish it was restricted to plasma weapons.

duckroll said:
You know, I think one slightly dick move on Avellone's part is that in OWB he introduced the idea of capping your level at 30 with a trait, without warning anyone that in LR he would be adding special perks for lvl50 characters.

Yeah, that is kind of a dick move. I was thinking of skipping LL as a trait but 25 perks seems like so many.

Lothars

duckroll said:
Yeah, the initial announcement made it sound like they would be placed on loot tables around the Mojave as well, or hidden in some locations. Oh well.
Yeah like I said it's no big deal but just a wish I had but maybe the modders will add that in.
I am going to wait on a sale to get Lonesome Road, Couriers Stash and Gun Runners pack on Steam.

Yeah you're telling me. I love Meltdown but it basically forces you to travel alone if you play Hardcore, and you always need a gun in case something gets close enough that you'd get caught in the blast.

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah you're telling me. I love Meltdown but it basically forces you to travel alone if you play Hardcore, and you always need a gun in case something gets close enough that you'd get caught in the blast.

Traveling alone you say? Make sure you get the Lonesome Road challenge perk from the DLC then! Lololol.
Poor ED-E. :(

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:

Yeah, and I don't want to burn a perk on Spray and Pray either, especially since 25% isn't going to stop Meltdown from busting my shit apart. I also don't really want to go solo either because I really enjoy having ED-E with me. I'll probably just skip it.

duckroll said:
Traveling alone you say? Make sure you get the Lonesome Road challenge perk from the DLC then! Lololol.
Poor ED-E. :(

:O

I didn't know about that! Great perk, I'll definitely get that on my next run which will be a misanthropic cannibalistic shotgun-wielding renegade.

Wallach said:
Yeah, and I don't want to burn a perk on Spray and Pray either, especially since 25% isn't going to stop Meltdown from busting my shit apart. I also don't really want to go solo either because I really enjoy having ED-E with me. I'll probably just skip it.

I've found that ED-E isn't bad with Meltdown as long as you can keep enemies focused on you, but it just gets too hard in places like Big-MT where nearly every enemy rushes your face as soon as they see you.

My favourite way to play the original quest was Veronica and Rex as my buddies. It took me about 100 hours to finish because they're both melee so I kept blasting them.

zkylon

zkylewd
jim-jam bongs said:
hahahahaha

Duckroll + Obsidian = :D
Duckroll + Bethesda = D:
The perfect opinion.

Just booted up Lonesome Road. Was very surprised that (really minor spoiler)
Ed-E is pronounced Eddie. I always called "her" Edie...

Top Bottom