• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol4: Lonesome Road |OT| Now sponsored by the Gun Runners

BeeDog

Been playing the DLC this morning, and so far I really dig it. It's linear in a good way compared to HH, since it's way more focused with solid level design. Tons of secrets to explore as well.

Just reached the end of The High Road; is it just me, or are the deathclaws in the DLC waaaaay harder than the ones found in the vanilla game? They one-hit-kill me despite my über-awesome equipment. :/

BeeDog

The Courier's Mile, holy SHIIII-.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to tackle this area? Hardest Fallout challenge by far, BY FAR.

duckroll

BeeDog said:

Anyone got any suggestions on how to tackle this area? Hardest Fallout challenge by far, BY FAR.

The Courier's Mile makes Vault 34 look like a radiation free picnic site. :(

BeeDog said:

Advanced radiation suit, Breathing mask, a lot of Rad-x, RadAway ... Try to stay near the beginning area as it is less radio active, and bring your best weapons.

Remember you can leave (return to) the dlc at anytime to get things you need.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd recommend turning off Hardcore Mode when you loot the place, think I had like 1100 of weight with about 1000 of it being ammo.

I just used the strat someone posted earlier with the Sniper Rifle from OWB and This Machine, was pretty easy. I did leave after to remove the radiation and then came back to loot.

BeeDog

Have ~200 of RadAway's and Rad-X's each, but perhaps I should buff up with proper radiation protection. The problem is, the irradiated marked men are gang-raping me with their melee weapons, and let's not even talk about the deathclaws. I have no idea why, but the deathclaws in this DLC one-hit-kill me immediately.

What's the most fool-proof way of taking them out? I try to use my Oh, Baby! to stun them, but if I don't manage it in the first hit, I often die a horrible death immediately.

Ricker

Yeah,this DLC is pretty good but it`s way too hard for it`s own good...didn`t check my difficulty slider though,maybe ill bring it down a little...for the Deathclaws,(and tunnelers)thank god I have a shotgun that knocks them down otherwise they kill me in 2 or 3 hits as well,and ED-E goes uncounscious pretty fast as well....I kill a few tunnelers but when there is just too many,so far I ran out of the area....level 47 now and i`m at the part:

where you lose ED-E so this will get even harder I guess...I have a radiation suit but it needs repair

Also,I`m over 100 hours with this game and I still don`t fully understand the workbench and the conversion menu,so poorly done.

Ikuu

BeeDog said:
Have ~200 of RadAway's and Rad-X's each, but perhaps I should buff up with proper radiation protection. The problem is, the irradiated marked men are gang-raping me with their melee weapons, and let's not even talk about the deathclaws. I have no idea why, but the deathclaws in this DLC one-hit-kill me immediately.

What's the most fool-proof way of taking them out? I try to use my Oh, Baby! to stun them, but if I don't manage it in the first hit, I often die a horrible death immediately.
If you've got a high Gun skill then grab the Silenced Sniper from OWB and just pick off the Deathclaws individually, and then kill the ghouls.

Planning on buying all 4 when they have a sale on XBL. Still have some DLC I want to go back and finish in Fallout 3, too. As much as I tried I could never get to them all.

duckroll

AlimNassor said:
use melee get to tunnelers cave and die. barely scrape by...get 1 killed in 1 hit by a Deathclaw. );

My main dude is a melee character. I went into the DLC at lvl45, came out at lvl50 (leveled up to 50 upon completing the DLC). It was hard, but it was also a blast. Totally possible, you just need to be smart about it.

Make sure you have a good chance of knocking enemies down with the right skills and weapons, hit them as they come at you, and beat them down as they lie on the ground. Use ED-E to distract enemies and aggro then, while you attack them from the side or from behind. Don't be afraid to pump yourself with drugs for extended encounters with a group of enemies. Remember to heal. Etc.

tokkun

I still don't understand why Ulysses has Courier 6 deliver the chip.

-Ulysses mentions that he is sworn not to kill the Courier because Caesar commanded it.
-Ulysses was an agent of the Legion and says that he thinks all the couriers were, indicating that Caesar was planning to steal the chip by having his own men be chosen to deliver it.
-This indicates that Ulysses didn't know that Benny would try to kill Courier 6, so that is not the motive.
-Ulysses is betraying Caesar by letting someone else carry the package (we know that Courier 6 is not a Legion agent because it would have been mentioned in the dialog with Caesar & Vulpes Inculta)
-Despite betraying Caesar and leaving on his own, Ulysses still follows Caesar's order not to kill any of the couriers? Doesn't make sense.

Tanolen

BeeDog said:

Remnant Power Armor and Rad away+ Rad-x(?) the one that increases rad resistance

+

Holorile using max charge and I was able to one shot all the deathclaws.

Tanolen

Did noone pay attention to the flare gun? It will cause all the tunnelers to run away from you, with the added bonus of sneaking critting them as they run away.

tokkun said:
I still don't understand why Ulysses has Courier 6 deliver the chip.

-Ulysses mentions that he is sworn not to kill the Courier because Caesar commanded it.
-Ulysses was an agent of the Legion and says that he thinks all the couriers were, indicating that Caesar was planning to steal the chip by having his own men be chosen to deliver it.
-This indicates that Ulysses didn't know that Benny would try to kill Courier 6, so that is not the motive.
-Ulysses is betraying Caesar by letting someone else carry the package (we know that Courier 6 is not a Legion agent because it would have been mentioned in the dialog with Caesar & Vulpes Inculta)
-Despite betraying Caesar and leaving on his own, Ulysses still follows Caesar's order not to kill any of the couriers? Doesn't make sense.

I don't think those were the implications, but something more along the lines of
Ulysses wanting to mirror the delivery of the package that created the Divide as it is now, making you realize how even the smallest decision can have unintended consequences

I (and reading on many other forums, not just me) have problems with that concept for various reasons, and while I enjoyed the DLC, I have mixed feelings about the structure and narrative. I really wished they'd worked more to make the DLC feel like Fallout not just aesthetically and lore-wise, but as far as the core principles of the franchise go (player agency being a core tenet, nuclear bombs being something to be feared rather than a gimmick, etc.).

Definitely the weakest DLC of the bunch from that point of view, though I don't think it's a bad DLC all around and I liked the atmosphere a lot, as the level design, as some of the writing and some of the implications for future lore.

Ricker

Another thing I don`t like about LR is the layout of the maps/area...I have no clue where to go where I am at now,I just turn in a huge circle and there`s one guy left somewhere that I don`t see that occasionnaly shoots at me,from where I have no clue...I am trying to reach the marker but I can`t reach it,blew up a few of those things thinking they would clear the way but nope,one just lead me to a small dark cave with a named Deathclaw in there(Rawr)...not sure i`ll finish this one,it will be the first I dont finish...the first DLC was hard but this is ridiculous...

tokkun

WorstUsernameEver said:
I don't think those were the implications, but something more along the lines of
Ulysses wanting to mirror the delivery of the package that created the Divide as it is now, making you realize how even the smallest decision can have unintended consequences

Isn't that kind of a redundant point to make considering you already delivered the first package (and would have had memory of it at the time you took the chip)?

The explanation of not killing you because of Caesar's orders still doesn't make sense in that scenario.

duckroll

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/24/more-of-the-gun-runners-arsenal/

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/25/gun-runners-arsenal-preview-part-3/

Another update should be coming out in a few hours. Meanwhile...

bozar.jpg

Wallach

Was watchin' GSL and I thought I heard someone mention Bozars.

Man, one day left. And look at all those beautiful new shotgun ammo types; seriously if they throw in the Jackhammer or City-Killer I'll be set for years.

Edit - Sheeeeeit, look at that new 10mm SMG. One of my favorite guns that is not a shotgun or a Bozar, will need to get my hands on that shit.

BeeDog

Tanolen said:
Remnant Power Armor and Rad away+ Rad-x(?) the one that increases rad resistance

+

Holorile using max charge and I was able to one shot all the deathclaws.

Many thanks. Need to double-check if I even have the Remnant Power Armor...

tokkun said:
Isn't that kind of a redundant point to make considering you already delivered the first package (and would have had memory of it at the time you took the chip)?

The explanation of not killing you because of Caesar's orders still doesn't make sense in that scenario.

It's made fairly obvious that the Courier
didn't witness what happened to the Divide, making the package he delivered there just another package for him. In that sense, making you die by what is "just another package" is something that Ulysses probably believes is a fitting end.

As for not killing you because of Caesar's order, I know that Ulysses mentions that, but it really doesn't make sense as a motivation for him, so I suspect it's not intended for the player to take that on face value.

Then again, I've made only one Lonesome Road playthrough and some details are fuzzy in my mind, so I may be making some kind of mistake.

duckroll

Regarding Ulysses:
He does not kill the courier himself because he does not believe one courier should kill another. It's quite simple, it's a code of conduct. He mentions Caeser's orders only to reinforce the point that even when he was in the Legion, that was the expected conduct. Even though he is no longer part of the Legion, he still follows certain basic rules of engagement and has his own code of honor. I don't think it's too hard to understand.

BeeDog

Meh, didn't have the Remnants Power Armor, so had to go to the deathclaw-infested secret area for it.

I have a follow-up question: if I temporarily lower the difficulty (so as to finish the Courier's Mile), will there be any consequences? Like disabled cheevos or something?

Ikuu

Nope, the only achievement you can 'disable' is if you're playing Hardcore and turn it off.

duckroll

BeeDog said:
Meh, didn't have the Remnants Power Armor, so had to go to the deathclaw-infested secret area for it.

I have a follow-up question: if I temporarily lower the difficulty (so as to finish the Courier's Mile), will there be any consequences? Like disabled cheevos or something?

The only consequence is that deep down you know that you're a wuss and the game destroyed your ego. Otherwise, no, feel free to lower the difficulty setting to easy if it makes it more fun for you. :)

BeeDog

duckroll said:
The only consequence is that deep down you know that you're a wuss and the game destroyed your ego. Otherwise, no, feel free to lower the difficulty setting to easy if it makes it more fun for you. :)

That's a low price to pay I guess :p. Thanks!

Ricker

Guys,how the hell do I reach Ulysee`s Temple??...I went in the Waste disposal station,there`s no other exit in there,I just can`t find a way out of that area to reach the Temple...

-BLITZ-

Can someone explain where does sneak book refer to be in wikia on LS. I just don't understand what his talking about there.

on a bookshelf facing the wall on the landing up one flight of stairs[???] from the entrance

duckroll

Ricker said:
Guys,how the hell do I reach Ulysee`s Temple??...I went in the Waste disposal station,there`s no other exit in there,I just can`t find a way out of that area to reach the Temple...

You're going the wrong way. All other locations in the DLC are just dead ends with optional content. The entire DLC is just one linear path to the objective.
You climb to the top of a pile of wreckage, then you cross over the top of a collapsed building that acts as a bridge to the other side. Then you descent down more wreckage and go down ruined stairs to approach the entrance to the temple.

For this DLC, it helps that you ignore the Pipboy map entirely, and use the target marker on your compass, and use your eyes to just scan the area from higher areas to look for your objective, then scan around it to look for passageways leading to it, so you can plot your path. It's always a linear path, sometimes you just have to find the right one.

Finished it the other day. Decent DLC. I'd put it ahead of honest parts, but behind the other two.

Although going back to the Mojave Wasteland my game now runs like shit again (360 version). They'd had it running pretty damn good with the last major patch. Now it's almost back to the launch levels of shittiness. Framerate goes down to untold levels and the game enjoys some locking up. Saddening.

Ricker

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Finished it the other day. Decent DLC. I'd put it ahead of honest parts, but behind the other two.

Although going back to the Mojave Wasteland my game now runs like shit again (360 version). They'd had it running pretty damn good with the last major patch. Now it's almost back to the launch levels of shittiness. Framerate goes down to untold levels and the game enjoys some locking up. Saddening.

Yep,mine does that also now,sometimes in Vats,when you get the slow motion kills,it just stay in that sequence but the rest of the game is still moving at regular speed,so if there`s more then one ennemy,like the Tunellers,I`m dead when I come out of it...or when that perk guy comes and instant kills,I stay in the Vats screen forever...

Thanks for the tips Duckroll,i`ll try and find the right path,at least everyone is dead around there now...

duckroll

Ricker said:
Thanks for the tips Duckroll,i`ll try and find the right path,at least everyone is dead around there now...

Also, watch out for the FUCKING SATCHEL CHARGES. Goddamn. Evil fucking pieces of shit. >_<

Ricker

duckroll said:
Also, watch out for the FUCKING SATCHEL CHARGES. Goddamn. Evil fucking pieces of shit. >_<

You mean the ones that go beep,beep very fast boom lol....yeah,always fun when you have to Deathclaws on you and you hear that...

DireStr8s

Everytime I see this thread & the New Vegas OT I get very sad. New Vegas is the one game that has really captured my imagination this gen & it runs like a slideshow on my PS3.

tokkun

duckroll said:
Regarding Ulysses:
He does not kill the courier himself because he does not believe one courier should kill another. It's quite simple, it's a code of conduct. He mentions Caeser's orders only to reinforce the point that even when he was in the Legion, that was the expected conduct. Even though he is no longer part of the Legion, he still follows certain basic rules of engagement and has his own code of honor. I don't think it's too hard to understand.

In my playthrough, with the dialog options I chose,
he specifically said that he didn't kill you because of Caesar's orders and follows it up by speculating that all the couriers were Legion.
If you want to say that he is lying (to you or to himself) about his true motivation, that's fine. All I'm saying is that it doesn't fit at face value.

I got the impression at other times that he was unsure of (or lying about) his motivations since the stuff he says seems to go back and forth between
wanting revenge/justice, trying to prove a point, or trying to engineer political change.

And one last thing - at least in my path, there was never any resolution to the
tunnelers eventually destroying the Mojave

BeeDog

FINALLY, I wrapped up Courier's Mile without having to revert down to lower difficulty levels. The irradiated deathclaws there are a maaajor pain in the ass, so had to cheese them from the ledge on the destroyed bridge.

Aside from the Ralphie poster, the 2 nukes and the named bowie knife, the payoff for combing through every inch of the place wasn't worth it. :<

oh man the dragons breath for shotguns sounds awesome, always loved incendiary rounds in ME2 in particular

so when this gun runner expansion comes out, will it just let me buy all this stuff from stores (eg that gun runner kiosk) or will it be locked based on your level for example

Bebpo

Banned
Finished this last night. A little confused about the overall plot.

-you came from somewhere, started up a town in the divide, some new ideology based on old world ideas
-you went west and explored all over CA and saw the NCR
-while you were out NCR tried to take the divide as it was another road to the mojave and supply line. Meanwhile Legion tried to cut it because of the same thing. Courier six was a legion guy who went out there.
-you came back to the divide as it was your home and the west and the NCR just didn't cut it
-you brought back a package that had technology in it because it reminded you of home (huh? Why did you bring back the package? Who sent it?)
-something inside the package triggered the underground nukes to go off and sink the divide (WHAT WAS IN THE PACKAGE?)
-everyone died except Courier Six and You; everyone else became mutant freaks
-ED-E type robots collected scraps from within the divide but didn't leave it (huh?)
-You took a package with the coin and went out to the mojave, got shot and lost your memory and started New Vegas
-Courier Six trailed you the whole time and eventually challenged you to come back to the divide so he could awake the old world tech of nukes and blow NCR up

That's what I got from the DLC. I was expecting more actual tying into Fallout 1/2 lore and the old world, that Ulysses would be someone really interesting from somewhere interesting. But in the end I felt a lot of the build up and mystery was just for the sake of building up, and that
in the end he was just a typical misguided antagonist wanting to blow stuff up; He read some books saw some nukes and that's about the only "old world" connection he actually had. He was definitely just some modern era fallout baddy and that was kind of boring. I wanted something a little more interesting that would add to the Fallout lore.

tokkun

For whatever reason I had almost no trouble beating Courier's Mile, but the 2 Deathclaws behind the metal wall in the divide killed me like 8 times in a row.

duckroll

Okay here's my interpretation of the plot:

You are a courier, and you've been a courier for a long time. Being a courier is just a metaphor for being a RPG player. You go between places, and travel the world. You take jobs which you are usually not emotionally attached to. You deliver messages or physical packages between places. Because of your occupation, you are nomadic and don't really have a place to call home.

In the past, before the Divide is the way it is now, there used to be a supply route which directly linked the Mojave to the Western regions of the United States. The player is supposed to have come from there. There was a town along that route which was independent and born out of old world dreams. A place which believed in a more traditional America, than what the NCR offered. Avellone has commented that it was not an Enclave town, so it was likely non-military.

This town was a place that Ulysses believes was of a personal importance to the player. This might or might not be true, and it might or might not matter. Again, this is a metaphor for how in RPGs, when you wander the game world, you are drawn to certain central locations which are a) unique, b) developing communities. The player is not meant to have actually actively founded this community, instead it is suggested that through your actions (ie: a ton of random fetch quests) you helped the community survive and build up, even though you might not be fully aware of how important your actions are.

At some point, you deliver a package to the town and you leave. You don't know what was in the package, and you didn't care, because it was just another job. The origin of the package is unknown, but the contents were a sort of unlock key (either a robot, or some remote device) which activated the various facilities under and around the town. Various missile silos and military terminals. What happened after was a serious of underground nuclear explosions from the nukes, which tore the ground apart and filled the sky with radiation. Many more nukes remained intact, suggesting that the entire area was a huge nuclear weapon arsenal from before the war.

Ulysses is a Legion scout and assassin. He was from the East, and he was once part of a tribe called the Twisted Hair. They were absorbed by the Legion and destroyed, like all other tribes. He was the scout who first found Hoover Dam and reported it back to Caeser. He was also the one who commanded the White Legs to destroy New Canaan. At some point he was assigned to become a courier, to infiltrate the system and to keep tabs on the flow of items and information.

That's when he got interested in you, and the town you kept going back to. At first he saw it as a target for Caeser. But then later he found the idea of a new budding community so powerful that he wanted to leave the Legion and just stay there. He was the only survivor when the package your delivered was activated, because the Medical Eye-Bots saw the old world flag on his coat, and saved him.

After the destruction of what he saw as his last chance for a new life, he started wandering aimlessly, looking for answers. It was only after he saw your name again, that he decided to let you carry the chip instead, so he could watch and see what happens. He's been watching ever since, and then after you finally decide to pay $9.99 for Lonesome Road, he contacts you directly to lure you into the Divide since he's sick of waiting. :)

Bebpo

Banned
tokkun said:
For whatever reason I had almost no trouble beating Courier's Mile, but the 2 Deathclaws behind the metal wall in the divide killed me like 8 times in a row.

I picked up a couple stealth boys in the DLC and just snuck past them and the tunnelers.

Ricker

Damnit at the last fight,I had him but some flunkies where left and trying to avoid a grenade and the gltches,bad framerate,Vats freezing for a few seconds after kills,I accidently missed some stairs and fell in the endless pit...back at the start of the last auto save haha...

duckroll

The Gun Runners have very generously paid for the continued broadcasting of this thread in the foreseeable future. Please show your appreciation to our sponsors in the Mojave by buying a Bozar today. Only 27,000 Caps!

Sotha Sil

I must have played through Fallout 2 ten times, and I had no idea what a Bozar actually was before reading Wallach's numerous, obsessed posts. I blame it on my lack of interest for Small Guns. The Bozar and I shall meet at last!

Top Bottom