• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

spekkeh

Banned
I just didn't buy his transformation into a "warrior". What the other games had where playable characters with military and mercenary backgrounds, which gives believability to their actions and growth. Jason Brody was pretty much a "daredevil" and "thrill-seeker", with no military experience (having never killed anyone before the events of the game); then by end of the game he's this super badass who wiped out countless pirates, paramilitary soldiers, knows how to handle every weapon imaginable with ease, and managed to lone wolf his way into retaking the Rook Islands. I just didn't believe it.

I know it's a game, but they talked up this focus on narrative and about Brody's transformation. They just never really gave believability to his evolution, expect for that his "tattoos" gave him power. That was it. No crash-course training sequences, just buy a gun and you're already a badass. It just wasn't legit. In the way that Jack Carver in FC1 and the Mercenaries from FC2 were.

Yeah there was way too little story to make the transformation actually believable. He kills a few guys and immediately turns into a dick to his friends. It seems like many of the insanity stuff has been pared down last minute (for instance in the story trailer you can see
Vaas have one of your friends put a gun to his head, shouting kill me kill me, before calling him weak and killing him
, but IIRC that isn't in the game), or was maybe added last minute when they saw Spec Ops. But Spec Ops just did it so much better.

SGRemy

Getting the platinum is so annoying >,< been done with the single player, its these coop trophies that suck.
1- coop isn't good.
2- you can't host a game unless u want a private game that's invite only.
3- every time I do the lights out map it freezes my ps3....perhaps the new patch fucked me up.

I give up on the plat. 3 damn coop trophies left.

Goldrusher

Getting the platinum is so annoying >,< been done with the single player, its these coop trophies that suck.
1- coop isn't good.
3- every time I do the lights out map it freezes my ps3....perhaps the new patch fucked me up.

1. It's not great, but it's alright.
No bullet sponges, lots of areas, some mini games, and a little story.

2. True. That sucks. I've mentioned it before. No idea why they don't allow you to host a public game or at least choose which mission you want to play.

3. Happened to me a few times as well, but only in public mode.

Just get 2 friends at do them in private mode. Only 3 left, don't quit now. :)

I'm kinda getting bored with this game. All I do is repeat the same pattern over and over again: Find a post, take them out, find a tower, climb up the ladder, and reveal more areas of a map.

I guess it's just me and my taste of growing out of games. I think linear games are easier for me to play. I mean, I replayed Max Payne 3 three times.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm kinda getting bored with this game. All I do is repeat the same pattern over and over again: Find a post, take them out, find a tower, climb up the ladder, and reveal more areas of a map.

I guess it's just me and my taste of growing out of games. I think linear games are easier for me to play. I mean, I replayed Max Payne 3 three times.

Sounds like you're more bored with pointless busywork and shallow gameplay than the idea of open world games. That's more of an open world problem lately since most linear games are shorter and the linearity doesn't allow for a lot of busywork. The ones that do I think we just say it has bad pacing :p

Far Cry 3: Criken vs Wild

i7YCXCFIqffmq.gif

4:40 I feel inadequate for never having done this...isn't there an achievement for it?

Oh yeah, watch out for crocs, NPCs too!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Curious about the main character, do they talk about how he apparently just accepts (potential spoilers? not even sure)
all the crazy shit going on around him with no big issues?

Not even sure if that's 100% true, just what I've heard.

inRgWNkNaCVuy.gif

No one appreciates the radio tower wobble? It makes me feel a bit woozy at the top, great effect.

iblXkGPZpwRbVS.gif

I had to gif Oliver, might not like him but this animation is a redeeming factor.

spekkeh

Banned
The game keeps on being a mixed bag. I loved the mission where you have to rocket launch the guys on the bridge (second island). Great destructible environments that made it awesome blowing things up with the grenade launcher (that's now also how I tackle most of the outposts too; sneak in and disable the alarm and then proceed to blow everything sky high, quite fulfilling). Then I tried my hand on some hunting missions, first one was awesome where I had to hunt some fabled albino croc in the mangrove, and it started to rain heavily, very appropriately eerie. The second however, was 'kill bears with your knife' and was godawful. Game really tears at the seams when you have to knife a strong animal. It's annoying kiting and getting stuck on the weird collision detection, while the hold y to heal very often doesn't register when things go south. It really doesn't help that you can't opt out of such a mission either. And have to keep trying over and over until you're lucky.

Marvie_3

Banned
The game keeps on being a mixed bag. I loved the mission where you have to rocket launch the guys on the bridge (second island). Great destructible environments that made it awesome blowing things up with the grenade launcher (that's now also how I tackle most of the outposts too; sneak in and disable the alarm and then proceed to blow everything sky high, quite fulfilling). Then I tried my hand on some hunting missions, first one was awesome where I had to hunt some fabled albino croc in the mangrove, and it started to rain heavily, very appropriately eerie. The second however, was 'kill bears with your knife' and was godawful. Game really tears at the seams when you have to knife a strong animal. It's annoying kiting and getting stuck on the weird collision detection, while the hold y to heal very often doesn't register when things go south. It really doesn't help that you can't opt out of such a mission either. And have to keep trying over and over until you're lucky.
This drives me nuts.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hahahahahahaha, "I'm the man! It's all me."

Your videos emphasized one of my favorite parts of the game lately which is, just watching the rebels behavior in various situations. Dudes are wild.
I like when I hear a bunch of gunfire, so I run towards it thinking some pirates are attacking someone. Nope. Just a bunch of rebels firing their guns in the air for no reason. :lol

The Jason

This drives me nuts.

Yes whoever thought we have the time to 'hold' to heal is crazy. Also I hate having to walk over someone five times before i can loot their body instead of pick up their gun, should be different buttons.

However, FC3 is still my game of the year overall. It amazes me in some way every time i fire it up, so much fun.

Not my videos, but yeah Criken's become almost game-sellers like with Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah I just assumed they were yours, thanks for posting them then, had never heard of this guy and his videos before.

I like when I hear a bunch of gunfire, so I run towards it thinking some pirates are attacking someone. Nope. Just a bunch of rebels firing their guns in the air for no reason. :lol

Hahahahaha, yup.

I accidentally attacked a rebel once after liberating an outpost and the whole rebel squad attacked me.....but then after I killed all of them(I had to you see...) it was as if no transgression had ever occurred, haha. Does anyone know if there is EVER any consequence for attacking the rebels beyond what happened to me?

Marvie_3

Banned
Yes whoever thought we have the time to 'hold' to heal is crazy. Also I hate having to walk over someone five times before i can loot their body instead of pick up their gun, should be different buttons.

However, FC3 is still my game of the year overall. It amazes me in some way every time i fire it up, so much fun.
The thing I hate more about the looting is that you can't look directly at the body. You have to look 3 feet away from the body and in the opposite direction
of where their gun landed just for the loot prompt to come up.

Hahahahaha, yup.

I accidentally attacked a rebel once after liberating an outpost and the whole rebel squad attacked me.....but then after I killed all of them(I had to you see...) it was as if no transgression had ever occurred, haha. Does anyone know if there is EVER any consequence for attacking the rebels beyond what happened to me?
Doesn't seem like it. It always pops up a warning after I run over civilians with a car but nothing happens there either.

BrettHD

Banned

After FarCry 2 I thought the series might be dead - one of the worst designed games ever, pure garbage.
Farcry 3 has completely redeemed the series for me, its one of the best shooters ever made imo.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Radio towers are an absolute chore to climb. It works in Assassin's Creed because it's fun to climb stuff. Not so much in first person. Minor complaint though.

Wait where the hell is that disco scene from with the "press X to dance" prompts? I've never seen that before.
When you go to the cave with your friends, there's a pot full of pills that you can take. You go into hallucinations that take you back to the club where you and your friends decided to go skydiving and whatnot, you can do it a few times and in one of them you're on the dance floor.

SJRB

Gold Member
When you go to the cave with your friends, there's a pot full of pills that you can take. You go into hallucinations that take you back to the club where you and your friends decided to go skydiving and whatnot, you can do it a few times and in one of them you're on the dance floor.

Goddamnit, really?

Guess I should replay the game soon.

TripOpt55

I'm done, but have been going back and doing some side content. Mainly the outposts which can be a lot of fun to try and do in different ways. Also trying to do some trophy hunting. They seem pretty doable.

Also tried the co-op this weekend. I have this one friend who plays co-op with me when he comes over. He doesn't play games unless it is over here, so it is quite different than playing with other people from GAF or something. The co-op isn't that great, but he was really enjoying it as it is different than what we usually play. Like the shooters we have played together haven't really used ironsights, so trying to explain those to him was kind of odd. One of those things I take for granted I guess just knowing about.

H2Yo

"If you take away the narrative, Far Cry 3 is an amazing game" - Arty Gies.

I really have to disagree with this. After finishing it yesterday, I have to say that I loved the game the whole way through, included the games story and darker themes.

Oh a weird bug in MP, I'd spawn and 10 seconds later die "H2Yo has Committed Suicide", which is total horseshit because all I was doing was running/crouching/aiming.
This happened about 6-8 times in the one match.

The frame rate and screen tearing on the 360 version make this game straight-up unplayable. This is the worst running game I've ever played. The critics should have given this game an F or zero for the console versions. It's BROKEN. The devs should be ashamed of themselves.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The frame rate and screen tearing on the 360 version make this game straight-up unplayable. This is the worst running game I've ever played. The critics should have given this game an F or zero for the console versions. It's BROKEN. The devs should be ashamed of themselves.

Yeah, it seems very rushed even on PC. The framerate is garbage with 2 GPUs and if you have Post FX on Ultra. If you disable those and disable MSAA, then a 2011 GPU runs it fast, but it's nothing spectacular looking.

I'm half way through the game I think, and I wish there was an option to commit suicide. The lead character is a moron.

FHIZ

Huh, then how am I playing it and having a blast?

ElyrionX

Just finished this. The main character is exceedingly stupid throughout the entire story. And it's very clear that the second half of the game was rushed through development.

Derrick01

Banned

That is what I was talking about in my summary on the game on why they screwed up the beginning of the game. That should have been there instead of making them optional and obviously very missable scenes.

1- coop isn't good.

Man come on you are almost there. Maybe if i wasnt working as much i can be helping you out with that. Love the uncharted feel to some areas.

Top Bottom