• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Despite it's technical issues, Far Cry 3 is really up there on my must have list this generation. I'm 14 hours in and just got to the part with
Sam
. I make it a priority to finish a story based mission but end up getting distracted with everything around me.

Struct09

Just finished the game yesterday and absolutely loved it from beginning to end. I really appreciated the game's level of focus and progression, and hope that future Assassin's Creed games take note. I did all the important side stuff along the way, and after completing the game I still wanted more.

Definitely in my top 3 of the year, and I wasn't even planning on playing it until I heard and read all the buzz.

Finished the game on 360, Loved every minute of it, however I want to ask is there a way to do the last missing again to see the other ending? Or will I have to play the whole freaking game again?

Again loved every minute and was surprised that Ubisoft is behind this. The game looks great for a ps3/360 title. I think the developers were allowed and given time to make the engine/game work/perform properly. The frame rate is great for the most part, still wish it was 60 fps on console.

I hope Ubisoft does not become EA.

Thank you Ubisoft!

I had a headache just watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the game on consoles. No idea how people can play it like that.

I tweaked my settings a bit on PC to get it at 60fps on DX11. Didn't have to turn down that much, really!

Dizzle24

I hate it when I don't go to the next main quest and do some other shit, the same telephone conversation between jason and the dude with glasses repeat itself.

yes this 100%. so fucking annoying. Complete a "Wanted: Dead" mission? Phone call. Clear a zone out? phone call. Died? Phone call when you respawn.

Wiktor

It shows an ignorance of the current gaming environment and a failure to understand how to properly convey exaggeration as critique.

Spec Ops worked because it went over the line of what gamers consider 'normal' to a game. But Far Cry 3 never really goes whole-hog over it, and when it toes across the line, it does so in ways that can be really easily misinterpreted not as critique, absurdism or whatever, but as simply trying to be as balls-out stupid as possible.

I honestly don't see how Specs Ops was any more obvious than Far Cry 3 in it's critique of gaming conventions. In fact, it was much less obvious as it lacked the obviously gamery main hero

Jintor

Stuff like Walker's increasingly brutal kill animations over the course of the game, or his messed up enemy barks progressing from 'kill confirmed' to "FUCK YOU", the loading screen dialogue changing over the course of the game from simple information about Dubai or the regiment into other questions... it had, admittedly, the subtlety of a brick.

Walker's not a gamery main hero? He's a square-jawed American professional delta squad operative who has mastery in all forms of weaponry. That's pretty typical gaming hero.

Ledsen

Yeah Spec Ops was as subtle as Lady Gaga in a meat dress honestly. The "YOU ARE A BAD PERSON" loading screen messages were on the same level as FC3 flashing "GAME" and "FUCK" at you during its loading screens.

Derrick01

Banned
Why is the frame rate absolute ass on ps3?

Because open world game on ps3?

conman said:
What happened to the days when games got harder as you progressed rather than easier? Seems to me like a better solution would be to give you more options as the game progressed rather than more power. Empowerment should come from becoming more skilled rather than by earning more "cheats."

As you say, RPGs and open-world games are going increasingly this route of becoming easier as you progress. Skyrim is maybe the worst offender. But FC3 is a close second.

This is what happens when casuals rule the industry and open world games become popular. It's not going to get better unless it's a PC exclusive game like Stalker.

Ledsen

Because open world game on ps3?

This is what happens when casuals rule the industry and open world games become popular. It's not going to get better unless it's a PC exclusive game like Stalker.

Most games with character progression systems get easier as you progress. Even Dark Souls is mostly hard in the beginning.

conman

I disagree. I think making games get easier is just a (bad) developer choice. The GTA games don't get easier as you progress. You just have more options. Same goes for the AC games (at least in the ones before you could summon the Assassin army to kill everyone in your path).

It just amazes me that there isn't a difficulty setting in FC3 that makes the enemies challenging and/or disables some of your cheating-est abilities. As far as I can tell, "hard" does nothing. And far too many of your abilities utterly break the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Far Cry 3 getting easier fits the narrative of the protagonist and his insane power trip. He [thinks he's] an unstoppable tribal warrior with magic TATAU powers near the end of the game and this reflects on the difficulty [or lack therof].

The game does a good job of making you feel powerful and superior to the enemies you face. I think Far Cry 3 is not about difficulty or challenge, but about having fun taking down pirates in whatever way you want.

I agree that this leads to balancing issues and lack of difficulty/challenge, but I'm willing to bet that's a design choice made by the devs.

Wiktor

Stuff like Walker's increasingly brutal kill animations over the course of the game, or his messed up enemy barks progressing from 'kill confirmed' to "FUCK YOU", the loading screen dialogue changing over the course of the game from simple information about Dubai or the regiment into other questions... it had, admittedly, the subtlety of a brick.
And that's supposed to be some sort of critique of videogames? How exactly?
Walker's not a gamery main hero? He's a square-jawed American professional delta squad operative who has mastery in all forms of weaponry. That's pretty typical gaming hero.
That's the difference, Walker is a hero of a video game. Jason is a gamer.

SJRB

Gold Member
Careful with the Spec Ops discussion please guys, I still haven't played it.

[waiting for a solid Steam sale]

Finished the game on 360, Loved every minute of it, however I want to ask is there a way to do the last missing again to see the other ending? Or will I have to play the whole freaking game again?

Again loved every minute and was surprised that Ubisoft is behind this. The game looks great for a ps3/360 title. I think the developers were allowed and given time to make the engine/game work/perform properly. The frame rate is great for the most part, still wish it was 60 fps on console.

I hope Ubisoft does not become EA.

Thank you Ubisoft!
Youtube the other ending :)

does setting the difficulty to hard make a big difference? I feel like a goddamn oneman army but the game is only throwing 4-6 enemies at me. I'm starting to purposely let them sound the alarm for reinforcements.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone watch the GiantBomb quicklook of this?

Was Ubisoft "in on the joke?"

I'm still enjoying the game but I'm getting progressively more and more annoyed by it. It's the little things. Why can't I drop C4 without it immediately alerting an entire damn outpost? I'm just dropping something on the ground, not banging pots and pans.

Ok this is getting annoying, Grant keeps freezing in place every time I restart. I really just want to advance and play the darn game? Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions?

RedSwirl

Y'know what? I think this game is pretty similar to what Hideo Kojima's original vision for Metal Gear Solid 3 might have been. He seems to have a fairly close relationship to Ubisoft so I wonder if he's aware of the game.

He said he wanted it to be an open-world game right? MGS3 has shades of something that tried to be open-world: certain actions in one place affecting the whole game, the fact that the game tries to incorporate interlocking systems with animals and bases and such, etc. A small example is how when you lose against The End, you don't get a Game Over but actually just have to break out of a prison and make your way back to him.

In a way all the main Metal Gear games except MGS4 work like this -- making you traverse and re-traverse a semi-open environment that constantly changes. I think Far Cry 3's open world stealth apparatus allows it to possibly contain a lot of the structural elements of most of the worlds in Metal Gear games.

Imagine a game where Snake had to infiltrate a completely open sandbox environment like the islands in FC3, but constantly patrolled by guards? He might have to infiltrate the various bases littering the place in order to grab equipment and supplies as well as complete objectives, while also dealing with the wildlife -- maybe a combination of FC3's hunt/craft system and MGS3's food system.

Just got this as an early Christmas present from a friend.

Wow, am I impressed! First encounter with a shark and I was a believer, the game is just brimming with content and I think the layer of wildlife just pushes this over the edge with awesomeness.

Pyronite

Wow, am I impressed! First encounter with a shark and I was a believer, the game is just brimming with content and I think the layer of wildlife just pushes this over the edge with awesomeness.

I was ~20 hours into the game before I had my first underwater encounter (crocodile) and it almost made me fall out of my chair.

Jintor

And that's supposed to be some sort of critique of videogames? How exactly?

No major spoilers for Spec Ops here beyond that Walker gets angry.

So videogames you spends hours upon hours murdering hundreds of people, most games never bother to reflect the effect that has on individuals within the actual gamestate of the world. Where Far Cry 3 goes straight to 'in a scripted sequence, Jason, after four hours of not-speaking while I gleefully murdered pirates as a silent brick with arms, will begin to yell and whoop about how fucking cool blowing up people is while his girlfriend provides painfully obvious commentary on how weird she thinks that is'. Spec Ops instead embeds it directly into the moment-to-moment gameplay over the entire course of the game.

That's the difference, Walker is a hero of a video game. Jason is a gamer.

That I don't see, unless you have a very narrow conception of a gamer.

Pyronite

So videogames you spends hours upon hours murdering hundreds of people, most games never bother to reflect the effect that has on individuals within the actual gamestate of the world. Where Far Cry 3 goes straight to 'in a scripted sequence, Jason, after four hours of not-speaking while I gleefully murdered pirates as a silent brick with arms, will begin to yell and whoop about how fucking cool blowing up people is while his girlfriend provides painfully obvious commentary on how weird she thinks that is'. Spec Ops instead embeds it directly into the moment-to-moment gameplay over the entire course of the game.

I enjoyed Spec Ops' story a lot, but
there was a single point where Walker's "moment to moment" gameplay (which I liked) clearly changed. I remember wishing it had been more of a slow progression, that he didn't go from consummate professional to a completely bloodthirsty "fuck yeah" killer of hostiles with a single event
. I like that the character's story was embedded into the gameplay, but I don't think the shift was a model of smoothness.

I felt like Jason had a realistic curve, he just wasn't talking to someone all the time like Walker was - you were out killing things as the player controlling him, and whenever you returned, it was made clear you were becoming more and more isolated. It started with his revealing
that killing became like "winning" to a worried/repulsed friend, moved on to complete disinterest in comforting his girlfriend,
and continued until he was
isolated enough that he never wanted to leave
. I think for Jason, it was like a mindless drug that he got caught up in (lots of drug references in the game anyway), whereas for Walker, his turn isn't because he develops the same God complex.

One oversight was definitely the "ew" every time Jason skins an animal, even into the late game. That should have stopped. I don't think FC3 did its story without mistakes, but I do think it did better than a lot of people on GAF.

The Jason

Y'know what? I think this game is pretty similar to what Hideo Kojima's original vision for Metal Gear Solid 3 might have been. He seems to have a fairly close relationship to Ubisoft so I wonder if he's aware of the game.

He said he wanted it to be an open-world game right? MGS3 has shades of something that tried to be open-world: certain actions in one place affecting the whole game, the fact that the game tries to incorporate interlocking systems with animals and bases and such, etc. A small example is how when you lose against The End, you don't get a Game Over but actually just have to break out of a prison and make your way back to him.

In a way all the main Metal Gear games except MGS4 work like this -- making you traverse and re-traverse a semi-open environment that constantly changes. I think Far Cry 3's open world stealth apparatus allows it to possibly contain a lot of the structural elements of most of the worlds in Metal Gear games.

Imagine a game where Snake had to infiltrate a completely open sandbox environment like the islands in FC3, but constantly patrolled by guards? He might have to infiltrate the various bases littering the place in order to grab equipment and supplies as well as complete objectives, while also dealing with the wildlife -- maybe a combination of FC3's hunt/craft system and MGS3's food system.

I actually thought the same thing while playing FC3. Perhaps its the focus on stealth and survival, but I love both games for such. FC3 has better hunting/crafting and exploration, while MGS3 has better stealth mechanics (camo). But yes, I actually think MGSGZ's (which kojima said will be mostly-open-world) is going to feel a bit like FC3, going from base to base, scoping out the situation, then using what ever method we see fit.

Enco

Can someone confirm if you get to free roam and do stuff after the main storyline?

With no spoilers. Just a simple yes or no would be great.

Jintor

I enjoyed Spec Ops' story a lot, but
there was a single point where Walker's "moment to moment" gameplay (which I liked) clearly changed. I remember wishing it had been more of a slow progression, that he didn't go from consummate professional to a completely bloodthirsty "fuck yeah" killer of hostiles with a single event
. I like that the character's story was embedded into the gameplay, but I don't think the shift was a model of smoothness.

I felt like Jason had a realistic curve, he just wasn't talking to someone all the time like Walker was - you were out killing things as the player controlling him, and whenever you returned, it was made clear you were becoming more and more isolated. It started with his revealing
that killing became like "winning" to a worried/repulsed friend, moved on to complete disinterest in comforting his girlfriend,
and continued until he was
isolated enough that he never wanted to leave
. I think for Jason, it was like a mindless drug that he got caught up in (lots of drug references in the game anyway), whereas for Walker, his turn isn't because he develops the same God complex.

One oversight was definitely the "ew" every time Jason skins an animal, even into the late game. That should have stopped. I don't think FC3 did its story without mistakes, but I do think it did better than a lot of people on GAF.

I think at least part of this is contextual. [Still no real spoilers for either FC3 or Spec Ops].

Walker, as a military delta force duder, is believable as someone initially who can kill without commenting much on it or being outwardly affected by it. Jason, on the other hand, is practically hyperventilating all the way through the first few tutorial missions. The moment you're released into the open world though he reverts to a silent killer brick with arms (with the exception of skinning animals for some reason) until story missions where he's necessarily forcibly remade into a character again for a few minutes and then goes back to being a nothing. So the differences between his character in between these moments feels progressively more jarring, as opposed to Walker who you're feeling is constantly demonstrating the effect the game is having on him.

Yes, you can freeroam after the storyline is over.

ACESmkII

After puting in close to 30 hours in this game already, I'm trying to imagine a sequel on next gen hardware...

...With fucking Dinosaurs.

Imagine hunting a T-Rex. It would be ridiculous.

Bog

Junior Ace
The progression could've been fixed by simply putting the animals to create the 3 and 4 weapon holsters exclusively on the second island. Done.

SJRB

Gold Member

Not really, because for some surreal reason they kept the minimap, which was the biggest issue for most players to begin with. How the FUCK this even happens is beyond me.

"People want a no-hud option, so let's remove everything EXCEPT the minimap, okay?"

FACE

Banned
Not really, because for some surreal reason they kept the minimap, which was the biggest issue for most players to begin with. How the FUCK this even happens is beyond me.

"People want a no-hud option, so let's remove everything EXCEPT the minimap, okay?"

Wait, you can't remove the minimap? NOOOOOOOOOO!

After puting in close to 30 hours in this game already, I'm trying to imagine a sequel on next gen hardware...

...With fucking Dinosaurs.

Imagine hunting a T-Rex. It would be ridiculous.

My girlfriend said this yesterday as we were playing.

The animals are BY FAR the highlight of the game. Dinosaurs would be game of forever. :(

I had a funny glitch happen yesterday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvBlgVNpdb8

I love just driving along and getting in to a situation like this, also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH4hfsKDxpk (I couldn't find a way to get in to that building :()

Top Bottom