• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished it today. Amazing game IMO. It corrected everything that was wrong with Far Cry 2 and kept the good things. Loved the graphics (best grass in any game IMO, and I didnt even play on a PC, but on PS3), great scale, gunplay was great, the movement feedback was pretty great. And not to mention, Vaas was great.
What I loved the most though, was the dynamism of the game. The freedom of approaching the situation as I saw fit. The first time I found a sniper and sat atop a hill while sniping the enemies in a post below was amazing. Then the next post I hunted while being right there. Slowly taking then down one by one. Mind blown.
But there were a few things I didnt like. One was the towers thingie. The platforming wasnt that great. I wouldnt have minded them if it was a simple 'climb the stairs and push the button', but because of stupid platforming puzzles. I fell so many times not because I couldnt figure out where to go, bust mostly because for some reason I couldnt catch the next ledge or slipped from somewhere without any reason. Hated those.
Secondly, the scripted moments. They were mostly towards the end. The game will just throw waves of enemies at you, with very little freedom. Hated those segments.

Still, overall a great great game.

Finished the game today. The ending felt a little weird and insufficient.
I like that you can keep playing with your stuff after you finished the story, but I wish that you could reset the presence of your enemies.

this game. this game.

there I was stalking a camp, tagging the enemies when out of nowhere I hear a low growl. I think nothing of it, it's probably a dog or something that's seen a goat, so I carry on stalking. I'm moments away from taking down a guard silently when I hear the growl again, only this time it's behind me...I turn around and what the fuck do I see? a white tiger ready to pounce and tear me a new arsehole.

I actually let out an audible whelp as I ran toward the camp and the guard I was planning to take out silently. he's stunned and starts shooting, I'm running for dear life, all the guards are now running out and what should happen next - the tiger starts to maul virtually every single guard. it was amazing. he died with only one guard left, who I silently killed for a lovely xp bonus.

man. this game.

demidar

I'm just starting now and I hated how the HUD was so busy, so I put unchecked everything in the HUD options menu but the minimap was still there. So I put in a no HUD mod and that's great... except for when QTEs happen and not telling me what I picked up. I'm fine with no takedown prompts (more immersive that way) but I was wondering if there's a no HUD option that shows when your inventory is full and what you picked up and that's it.

Rufus

^ Eh, hunting bears with a machete was more harrowing. Equally shallow though. It's over in 10 seconds. Repeat however many times for the quests and then you might as well never do another one.

--

So I finished the game just now. Clearing outposts (and having wild-life help me) was fun. Weapons felt good, though kind of interchangeable. The movement felt good as well and the game is really pretty, even on my aging hardware with some settings turned down.

The story though... What? Reading what the writer has to say about it surprises me more than it did. I don't see what he sees, that's abundantly clear. Damsel in distress? The fuck? Seriously, the guy sounds like a raving madman.

I saved my friends, vapid assholes though they are, because Citra struck me as a crazy bitch from the beginning. I know what happens if you pick her though.

Jintor

By the way, was there a way to release tension in a bow without actually firing it off?

It's a moot point because I already uninstalled FC3 I guess, but it would be nice to know if I was just a goddamn idiot for pretty much the entire game.

I switched to a free silenced sniper rifle at some point, anyway

SJRB

Gold Member
By the way, was there a way to release tension in a bow without actually firing it off?

It's a moot point because I already uninstalled FC3 I guess, but it would be nice to know if I was just a goddamn idiot for pretty much the entire game.

I switched to a free silenced sniper rifle at some point, anyway

You press the reload button.

Haunted

So, after I finished the game:

What to do now?
I don't understand the question. You do the same thing after you finish any game. Either go for 100%, or restart. Though there aren't enough enemies in the world to make going for 100% fun, if you chose to clear out the outposts.

Which you obviously should have already done, because it's by far the most fun thing to do anyway! :D

I stopped doing those when I had to kill a leopard or panther with a bow and it was taking 10 arrows to the head and not dying. Meanwhile it could take me out in 2 hits. That wasn't very fun and the rewards aren't worth much anyway so I saved myself a lot of hassle.

this is one of my major complaints with the game. if I shoot a tiger / any animal with a arrow to a head, they should not keep coming.

really annoying. what's also annoying is enemies with precision aim from miles away. that is beyond infuriating.

I don't understand the question. You do the same thing after you finish any game. Either go for 100%, or restart. Though there aren't enough enemies in the world to make going for 100% fun, if you chose to clear out the outposts.

Which you obviously should have already done, because it's by far the most fun thing to do anyway! :D

All outposts, all letters, all towers and 70 relics. And the game tells me that I still have one single weapon to unlock.

I stopped doing those when I had to kill a leopard or panther with a bow and it was taking 10 arrows to the head and not dying. Meanwhile it could take me out in 2 hits. That wasn't very fun and the rewards aren't worth much anyway so I saved myself a lot of hassle.

It's the thrill of the hunt, not the rewards for me.

Tigers go down quite quickly for me, but I am on easy. I think I'll bump difficulty up soon to have some really tense hunting sessions.

I haven't actually done of the actual hunting missions yet, I just wander off and pick them off by myself.

... nor have I done a single story mission outside of the first mandatory one ...

Rufus

Do a hunting mission. I doubt you'll be thrilled, because they're all in a designated area. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Or rabid dogs with an RPG. Most of the side stuff is quite dumb and throwaway. Walking to them takes more time than it does to complete them and is about as straightforward.

All outposts, all letters, all towers and 70 relics. And the game tells me that I still have one single weapon to unlock.
Look at the statistics screen. The last weapon I unlocked was via the Trials of the Rakyat (the red stars/rocks). I think you have to do five of those to get the weapon. It's the LMG, I think. If you already have that, it's something else.

I'm playing on hard setting and with the proper buff i can kill a tiger with three arrows. I don't get the complaints here, is called gameplay, you had to learn how to improve. Is fair because you can improve with skills and plants.

After 25 hours i finally cleared the first island. The engine is a blast, on console too, is incredible how much they have squeezed from an Xbox360 and a Ps3.

Main missions are fucking awesome (at least the first half).

What I want is Ubisoft stop to put collectibles everywhere just to add "contents". They start with Assassin's and because peoples seem to enjoy that now every games has collectibles, not only one but two of three kind, usually with the related achievement, and you do that just for achievement, not for the game or your character.

Is cool to hunt things... but with an idea behind, like for example treasures in Red Dead Revolver.

P.s.

The Lost expedition Edition add some good mission too

You can craft a syringe that helps you kill prey faster with the bow.

ugoo18

Not sure if this was a glitch or something meant to be in the game.

I managed to snipe 2 enemies with 1 shot (Both headshots).

I sniped 1 enemy in the head and another walked behind him at that moment and also died 0_0

I sniped 1 enemy in the head and another walked behind him at that moment and also died 0_0

I've done it too. Was hoping it would happen when I lined the shot up.

Zanosuke

Ehm, I haven't played for a week or two but why can't I see any animals on the map? I have completed the game once. Is it a new setting or something that have been removed from the game with the latest patch?

The more I play the MP the more I am enjoying it, while it has been CoDified pretty badly compared to Far Cry 2, the objective game types are really interesting and fun to play and the gunplay is pretty decent.

Con_Smith

Banned
Enjoying the game so far. Picked it up Friday and am splitting my time between it and X-com, which is also pretty good btw. One question though; when do I get the bow?

qwerty2k

Just got it today, only played a little, just liberated the first outpost and did the wanted and hunted side mission.

The next main missions is miles away in enemy territory which is unexplored on the map, should i go straight and do that or should i take more cell towers etc first?

i was playing around by a lighthouse and suddenly i turn around and there's like 30 dog like things coming to kill me. turns out it was a pack of thylacine, or tasmanian tigers.

was like wtf your supposed to be extinct.

ibcL9GYALXwLyf.jpg

iwB0lKHUcVh4B.jpg

also lol at skin description.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
i was playing around by a lighthouse and suddenly i turn around and there's like 30 dog like things coming to kill me. turns out it was a pack of thylacine, or tasmanian tigers.

was like wtf your supposed to be extinct.

also lol at skin description.
That is awesome. I never saw those.

Klocker

The more I play the MP the more I am enjoying it, while it has been CoDified pretty badly compared to Far Cry 2, the objective game types are really interesting and fun to play and the gunplay is pretty decent.

yea it is really pretty damned good if you get Halo and CoD out of your head.

You actually have places to flank and lay low and it's not always run like an idiot kill, die, repeat.

It's fun

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just started the game, loving it so far (PS3).
The items descriptions are funny as hell.

Also i found some giant turtles on top of a mountain(?)... didnt have the pants to kill 'em.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Anyone come across the glitch/bug where every time there is a cut scene and your right hand is viewable there is a bottle attached to it?

I'm on Xbox360. Pretty funny.

The Jason

Yeah bullets continue from one enemy to the next (if they are close). It's pretty cool. For one outpost I got 3 double headshots in a row, I was stoked. It's all about the angle.

Slowly making my way through the game and so far the only thing to really throw me off of playing as Jason is the fact that in a conversation with Daisy
he compares killing to winning to try and get sympathy.
It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Loving the mechanics though for the most part. I love when the game just lets me play.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone come across the glitch/bug where every time there is a cut scene and your right hand is viewable there is a bottle attached to it?

I'm on Xbox360. Pretty funny.

wait what ?

can you take a picture because that sounds .. weird.

Top Bottom